Facebook

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Internet Marketing Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – 1 interview with recruiter, 1 interview with hiring manager

Interview Question – Tell me one thing you'd want to improve about Facebook's online marketing capabilities   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

Interview Details – The process took a total of roughly 5 weeks, and was pretty smooth all around. Initial phone screening, 4-5 in person interviews and a couple other tasks.

Interview Question – Not sure what I can share - just know the products well and be conversational.   Answer Question

Internet Marketing Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2012.

Interview Details – applied through university job board.

First round - in-person interview.
1) walked through resume, your best experience/project you are most proud of.
2) how could you improve fb's engine so that friend A could find friend B, if friend B were listed as a name other than the one on his birth certificate (and the one that friend A is searching by)

Second round - phone interview, 30 mins. 2 stats questions.
1) how would you increase user engagement for users that have stopped using facebook for X amount of time
2) in a game of russian roulette, in which 2 bullets are loaded in a 6-chambered gun, and 1 shot is fired, what is the probabilities of each subsequent shot containing a bullet?

Interview Question – stats question of russian roulette. (i am terrible at stats)   View Answers (3)

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by an internal recruiter through LinkedIn. We setup an initial call so I could learn more about the opportunity. After I expressed some interest, they setup three phone interviews with their Growth, Engagement and Mobile team. The first interviewer asked a couple of logic puzzles, case questions on how to grow Facebook and how I would go about executing an A/B test. The second interview was a technical interview -- a couple of basic SQL questions. The last interview was a behavioral interview. Afterwards, I received feedback that they would like to invite me for an on-site interview at their HQ. There was some miscommunications with my travel arrangements, but other than some minor snafus, FB took care of everything.

At their HQ, I had 6 interviews with various managers and the head of the Growth team. Many of them revolved around how I would grow adoption of various FB products, their userbase, SQL questions, behavioral-type questions and questions about my past projects. It was not a difficult interview process, but I got the sense they were looking for a particular fit -- someone who was passionate about data, marketing, and could communicate big ideas to grow Facebook. They mentioned they were risk averse when hiring candidates -- they'd rather turn down a good candidate over hiring a false positive.

The campus was lovely and everybody was very friendly towards me. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and if I have another opportunity to interview there, I may do so in the future.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge Facebook will face in hitting 2 billion users?   View Answer
  • A Russian gangster kidnaps you. He puts two bullets in consecutive order in an empty six-round revolver, spins it, points it at your head and shoots. *click* You're still alive. He then asks you, do you want me to spin it again and fire or pull the trigger again. For each option, what is the probability that you'll be shot?   View Answers (9)

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in January 2010.

Interview Details – Received a brief screener phone interview from a young female in HR, then she acknowledged that I passed that so she emailed me 4 pre-screen questions and gave me a week to write essay answers to at least 2 of the 4. They were very heady, but really fun stuff-->)

2. Facebook has over 300 million users from around the world and from all demographics. How would you build a model to determine 1yr and lifetime value per user?

3. What KPIs would you define to measure the engagement of a cohort of Facebook users? What levers would you build to help improve the KPIs?

4. How would you build a state transition model to track the state of a Facebook advertiser?

I answered 2 of them and posted my answers on the web.

Then I received a call from the Hiring Manager who asked me:
1. If I were the CEO of Facebook, who would I say were the competitors...
2. What are the odds of rolling a 4 if you have two dice.
3. How would you create a model to build a database of all user's possible nicknames
4. One more, I forgot...

Question 2 I had troubles with, even though I knew that there would be some sort of brain teaser question as part of the interview. I believe that I now know the answer (look at each dice as if it were the same die, not two distinct odds sets e.g. first roll odds 1 out of 6, second dice odds 1 out of 5 (because one side has been subtracted for the first roll). Question 3 the interviewer did not let up on my approach, although I offered several solutions, which he volleyed back at, even though some of his assumptions were specious. I wanted to offer that there were many, many other ways to improve "user experience" that held priority over user's being able to find friends via nicknames, but I did not want to appear to be contrarian. It was apparent by the end of the interview and the competitive nature of the interviewer that I would not be receiving an offer.

In conclusion, although the subject matter was highly technical and involved some great problem solving, I did not find the interview process to be all that difficult. However, I found the unforgiving framework to be unrealistic. The reality is that most intelligent people aren't always necessarily quick to the reply (otherwise businesses would increasingly have employees working from home via Twitter 140 character exchanges) and more emphasis should be place on the overall impression from the pre-screen take home questions; work days are no less than 8-hours, not 8-seconds. Although the job description called for my balance between technical, analytical, business and marketing savvy, I ended up feeling that the interviewer wanted another programmer, just like himself.

Interview Questions

• 1. Pick a product on Facebook. Please describe the logical data model for related fact and dimension tables, the aggregation tables you'd want to build for analytics, and the dashboard you'd build to monitor the product.   View Answer
  • Build a model to create a database of any and all possible nicknames for every user's given name.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook Internet Marketing Analyst interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.