Facebook

Updated Feb 25, 2015
1,350 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I was asked to do a phone screen with the recruiter. For the phone screen, I did a mistake. I was researching on google what they would want to know and thought they would want to hear about my work. So I focused so much on polishing the detail of the work, but it turned out the 1st phone screening is more general, and he was asking more general questions, which I didn't quite enjoy. I know I didn't do the good job, but feel a little awkward that I got screened by the recruiter, not by the designer.

Interview Questions
    • What's your motivation to work?/ Facebook product designer is like a general list. It's combination of visual designer and ux designer. Within this spectrum, how do you want to define?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

This is probably one of the worst experience of my life in interviewing for a data scientist position. The recruiter reached out me and asked me to study a laborious list of Python, R, SQL, hive, statistics and probability. The recruiter scheduled the phone interview which they constantly kept rescheduling, very unprofessional ofcourse! The interviewer arrived on to call and started with the word "kool" and asked me to open the coderblock. He didn't even care to ask what my name was. He rushed on to the first interview question and asked me a probability question and i gave the answer within a minute. Pat came the reply! Wrong answer! (Even though it was 100% right answer). The interviewer kept pushing me that my answer was incorrect. And he started suggesting me to proceed in his own way and he consumed almost 25 minutes on this. Then he asked me a basic SQL question which he tried to complicate it by not providing the list of values in the table and just complicating that it is tough question. He kept changing his stance on how a record looks and what is the unique key. Then he asked me do you have any questions. He tried to act "kool" as if he has invented the world. I asked him what tools do you use? He kept saying we use hive, python etc and tried to act like he was "uber" cool. I would strongly recommend not to go forward with the recruiting process as you will probably waste your valuable time.

Interview Questions
    • Pick up a coin C1 given C1+C2 with probability of trials p(h1)=.7, p(h2)=.6 and doing 10 trials. And what is the probability that the given coin you picked is C1 given you have 7 heads and 3 tails?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Applied online. Got a call from a recruiter -she was very helpful and nice. She setup a technical interview with a designer for the following week. The questions were mostly about different Facebook features and apps.

Product Design Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

I got phone interview 3 weeks after applying for the job position. The recruiter was friendly but she has lack of knowledge about the job position. It was general phone interview starting from introducing myself and work.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

I had an on-campus interview (portfolio review) that was followed by a product critique over the phone that came many weeks later (their interviewing schedule was evidently full). I was invited onsite after this, where I presented my portfolio to a group of five or six designers and managers before having one-on-one interviews with the same group. These interviews included another portfolio review and another product critique, as well as a design challenge and a more behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • The design challenge was meant to be a team effort with the interviewer, but I pretty much felt on my own.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by a recruiter, I came onsite for an initial screen.

I thought the interviewer was very nice, and the question was reasonable. However, the frustrating part for me was that for the given question, there were a few different ways to solve it.

From my perspective, it seemed that the approach I used to solve the question was not what the interviewer had in mind. I understand that you should listen to an interviewer when they interrupt you or give you hints, but to me it seemed like the "hints" were basically from the perspective of "you're not solving this the way I would solve it, even though both of our solutions are O(n)".

The result was that I was basically having to write out a problem on a white board and constantly have my train of thought interrupted. The interruptions were unnecessary, and I had to clarify to the interviewer that my intent would indeed work. Example interruption:

Interviewer: "That array index is giving you the same result as the other value"
    Me: "No, that's a different variable name"
    Interviewer: "Oh, oops. Continue"

Interviewer: "Wait, why are you replacing the for loop with a while loop?"
    Me: "Because I want to be able to manipulate the cursor directly"
    Interviewer: "Oh, ok. Continue"

In the above statement, it's clear that the usual method of solving the problem did not involve a while loop (but it could be done to solve the problem). After my solution, the interviewer explained the most straightforward solution to the problem which basically leveraged the constraints of the problem itself, and after seeing that then of course the problem was trivial to implement.

So to me, it seemed like the question was more of a riddle than a coding exercise, which I believe to be a bad interview question, and at my current company it's accepted as the WORST type of interview question.

It was rather embarrassing for me to be turned down, especially on just the initial screen, but another qualm I had was that screens are generally meant to filter out candidates that can't code at all, not candidates who are questionable in their skills (from my perspective my skills aren't questionable, but clearly I did not give my best performance in this screen).

To me it felt as though the interviewer in this case did not have much experience. While I was answering the questions that were given to me, I was having to explain a few quirks to the python language that the interviewer clearly did not know i.e. "Oh, I didn't know you could compare dictionaries like that". For that to be said, I can only infer that the ONLY thing this interviewer was looking for is if I answer the question that was given to me in the exact way they wanted it solved.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I had my friend referred me to the intern position. It took about 3 weeks to hear from a recruiter. The process was pretty easy. After only one phone interview I was invited to go onsite. The phone interview takes 45 minutes. First talked about one of my previous projects. Then two technical problems.

Interview Questions
    • The first one is, given a tree, each node contains a digit. Calculate the sum of all numbers formed by paths from root to leaf.

The second one is given a string, remove all 'b's and duplicate all 'a's.

View Answers (3)

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Got a referral through an employee and got a screen with a recruiter. After a conversation, was invited for the first onsite as a local hire. Recruiter prepared me for structure, which tests for product sense and execution.

The day of, I got 2 pairs of interviewers back to back, with 1 shadowing each main interviewer. Some questions below. I was surprised by the amount of behavioral questions that I minimized preparation for, focusing on case questions. One of the interviewers seemed to have a preset notion of an answer he wanted to hear and was stunned that I actually asked structured questions. I got nervous from lack of feedback and sort of botched my answer. So I wound up doing well on one but needing some more prep for the other interview.

The good part is that you can study up and try again.