Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015
1,562 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was ask to answer a few question about my resume and followed two coding questions. For each question, the interviewer asked the time and space complexity and how to improve them. At the end, he asked me whether if I had questions for him or the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree level order traversal
      2. Given a string and a pattern
      '.' Matches any single character.
      '*' Matches zero or more of the preceding element.),
      find the first substring matching this pattern.

1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Had 2 phone screens then met with a manager in person. Afterwards I flew out to Menlo Park for an onsite interview. The entire process was incredible. Onsite took a full day. The recruiting team arranged flights, hotels, and reimbursed me for any cab fare. The very next day I was told that I would receive an offer. After receiving an offer I had multiple people reach out to me to make sure I had all my questions answered. The entire process was top notch. I had competing offers but this process was one of the factors that pushed me to ultimately choose Facebook. For such a large company to handle recruiting so seamlessly was an incredible feat in itself. A+ Experience.

Interview Questions

• Chose a well known app and critique it. What improvements could be made, how would you handle the design if you were to redo it, talk about the visual aesthetics, talk about skeuomorphic vs flat design, what would your process be etc..   Answer Question

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Process moved fairly quick; 1 week or so.

Recruiter reached out via email and we set up a call interview to discuss the role and my background within a couple of days. I was then referred to the hiring manager. The conversation with the hiring manager was great; simple questions about experience. However, I never heard back from the recruiter on status updates. I had to follow up a couple of times via email. I finally heard back, and they decided to move forward with another candidate.

FB appears to be growing a lot, thus many more roles within HR opened up. I reached out the recruiter via email to discuss potential roles. I was over-qualified for some and others I had the sufficient experience. I never heard back. After a week or so, recruiter responded stating that they are moving forward with other candidates.

I recently had interest for another role, and I received feedback that according to the same recruiter, they had an internal fit for it.

This was an interesting experience, and it is unfortunate that the recruiter did not take the proper time to explore a potential candidate with professional, valuable conversations. A simple conversation to better understand their needs and how my background would fit, would have made sense. At times, I wonder if these recruiters should be required to have more experience, given the excellent pool of candidates out in Silicon Valley?! You just never know who you may be putting to the side.

It appears as if the process is put at a "stop" based on the recruiters bias towards a candidate they have never met before or never personally worked with.

It is a loss for FB if the candidate could have been one to make a huge positive impact (who would know?) I was left with a sour taste of their culture, and that is unfortunate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

In-house screening: very nice offices, very nice interviewer. Asked a question, then asked to optimize the solution. I was able to ask questions about Facebook culture and work.
    They gave a tour in the office which looks very good.

Interview Questions

• NDA, standard question to code on a whiteboard + questions about current projects.   Answer Question

Partner Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter after 3 months of applying online. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager asking about my background and describing the role. Had another programming phone interview focusing on solving a problem on sending large data to customer in minimum latency and handling errors.
    Recruiter scheduled an onsite interview. Interview consisted of 4 rounds.
    1) Architecture problem.
    2) Interview with department head
    3) Coding exercise
    4) Team fit
    5) Hiring manager interview.
    All in all a good experience. Still waiting to hear back.

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

The interview was pretty easy.

They ask for pretty simple problems.

Sometimes some interviewers don't know what they want themselves, but generally everyone is polite.

Phone screen - talk
    Phone screen - programming
    On-site interview - 5 interviews each with 1-2 problems and android questions

I solved all the problems, but didn't get

Quantitative User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I first had a brief screen with a recruiter. After that, I had two separate video interviews with user experience researchers. After passing these, I was scheduled for an onsite interview. They sent me an exercise 3 days in advance of the interview. I was told to prepare a 30 min presentation on the exercise. This was presented first thing during the onsite interview, to 4 people from the team. I then interviewed with each of those team members.

The process was quick - I got responses the next day for almost all interviews. The recruiters were great and helpful, and the researchers were very nice, interesting, and fun to talk to. Unfortunately I did not make the cut.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see Facebook in 5 years from now?
      Give an example of when you showed entrepreneurial spirit.

Pick a user experience problem on Facebook that is relevant to FB's mission and propose a research plan.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by school mate and got the phone interview. Failed in the first round interview. No questions on resume. Just two coding questions. First one is easy. I just said minHeap solution, then the recruiter directly said next. I was stuck at the second problem and that is the reason why I failed.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given 1 billion numbers, find 100 largest numbers
      2. Prefix notation +*123 = 5

3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contacted by HR and setup a meeting, the HR is kind and the engineer is also kind, but I got nervous and blew it. Should have refresh my skills before going into an interview.

Interview Questions

• Given an array a contains all digits 0-9
      a = [1, 4, 2, 1] # which represents 1421
      Add one to the number and return the array
      return a = [1, 4, 2, 2] # which represents 1422