Facebook

Updated Mar 4, 2015
1,370 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Recruiter called me and asked a couple of HR questions. Schedule a phone interviewed. First phone interview is not hard at all; I implemented with Java but obviously it's not what interviewer thought. Then along with second phone interview. two questions, I did them quick.
    2 days later I was asked to join the on-site interview. I am a little bit nervous in my on-site. Basically the questions were not hard at all. But I was too nervous(It was my first on-site interview in US) and wasn't able to figure out the best solution before timeout.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Give you a data structure Seq
      class Sqe {
          int value;
          Seq nex;
      }
      and give you two Seq object seq., seq., compare two objects, return true if there is only one difference or no difference, false if more than two differences.
      2. Giving a array which has zero and no-zero elements, move all zero elements to the end and no-zero elements to the begin.

Answer Question

Software Engineer for Android Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

I had a telephonic interview asking overall 8 multiple choice questions. The questions where real big to keep in mind for telephonic round. So one has to listen very carefully during interview.

Interview Questions
    • giving choices from which three are correct and one is not so have to find the wrong ones   Answer Question

SMB Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Questions included wanting to know about how I would interact with small business owners, how I stay organized (method), and how I get through a lot of work and prioritize tasks. I did the interview over the phone, and the interviewer was nice and asked good questions. I was not very suitable for the position, and did not have any business or tech experience so I was not surprised that I did not get a follow up interview. I did a lot of research about the role, and I recommend anyone applying to do the same. They will want to hear anecdotes and numbers.

Infrastructure MBA Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

There were three Interviews. The first one was an HR Interview followed by an interview with the Director and then an interview with the manager. All Interviews were 30 -- 45 minutes in duration. The interviews were pointed more towards assessing ease of working with and fast thinking.The Results were out fast.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you exhibited leadership to achieve an important goal.   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

On campus Interview, they eventually set up a date, and had a 40 minute interview. it was through our campus recruiting so it was a fairly easy process. They also had a reception with free food. Interview wasn't very difficult though I didn't get an offer, so they must have been looking for something else.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

The first round is on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice. I was asked a lot of questions about binary search tree. It was about basic algorithm and data structure. The second round is on-site interview. It was a tour around their campus. It was a nice experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I didn't end up getting an offer.

Due to NDA I cannot explicitly write down the questions, but look at the last 150 questions in Glassdoor and CareerCup and you'll do fine (I did fine in the coding rounds, get to that in a bit).

Usual advice: Do a lot of white-boarding for questions and be ready to talk extensively about your projects and architecture and design.

Screening Round:

I applied to Facebook by getting connected to a recruiter through a colleague and friend. The process started in Seattle and I opted for a in-person onsite interview for the screening round (they have this option for locals in Seattle/California).

The interview went well i.e. I figured out how to solve the question in optimal time and space complexity. I made some mistakes here and there while writing the solution down but the interviewer didn't seem to mind. Contrary to what I had heard, he wasn't too anal about syntax (also helped that I write in C# he wasn't very familiar with it)

Onsite Round:

I received an email from the recruiter that they wanted to move forward and call me onsite. I was like, cool!

I took around 2 weeks to prepare and also tried to do design questions. I felt a bit under prepared around design and tried to make up for it in the last few weeks by watching videos around cloud architecture (and open source stuff like Hadoop, Kafka and Storm).

Onsite was pretty straightforward. First round was a career fit/discussion and I did pretty well (I think). It was mainly some behavioral questions and a lot diagrams around the architecture in my current and previous projects.

Second round was the one that I messed up.
    The question was around designing an existing Facebook feature (as a hint, think about the various add-dons you see on FB and instagram like Chat, Search, latest friend related news or popular links). When you really dig into designing this feature, its quite complicated and requires a reasonable amount of knowledge around distributed data storage etc. etc.

You need to nail this round to get into Facebook (in my personal opinion). I'm guessing they will adjust their expectations based on your years of experience.

There was a lunch which was informal and two more coding rounds where they asked questions that were very similar to the ones I had practiced. I made some silly mistakes here and there but again (due to practice) came up with optimal time/space complexity answers.

Got my result exactly one week from the my onsite date. No offer. But learnt a lot.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I was asked to do a phone screen with the recruiter. For the phone screen, I did a mistake. I was researching on google what they would want to know and thought they would want to hear about my work. So I focused so much on polishing the detail of the work, but it turned out the 1st phone screening is more general, and he was asking more general questions, which I didn't quite enjoy. I know I didn't do the good job, but feel a little awkward that I got screened by the recruiter, not by the designer.

Interview Questions
    • What's your motivation to work?/ Facebook product designer is like a general list. It's combination of visual designer and ux designer. Within this spectrum, how do you want to define?   Answer Question