Facebook Interview Questions

3.3

User Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

I applied online through Facebook page, and they contacted me right immediately like on that day which was scary for me. I guess they embody truly the culture of moving fast. I got an e-mail with to complete some online test with 13 questions and they were on:
    13 questions:
    9 Analytical Multiple Choice Questions – focusing on sets, trend analysis, calculus, stats, etc.
    1 open ended basic SQL question.
    1 open ended normalization question.
    1 Multiple Choice English language comprehension question.
    1 open ended language question (this part should be 200 – 300 words).
    The entire online assessment test was conducted through hackerrank.com and it was for 90 min.
    Personally I did not go and complete the Quiz within couple of day. I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like the impossible interview and the aptitude interview from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult or unexpected thing was that they contact you right immediately leaving you no time to prepare, so before you apply take you're time to prepare and they apply. other than that this question was pretty difficult:

An analyst at Facebook is conducting a satisfaction survey sampling from a list of 10,000 new users. The list includes 2,500 French users, 2,500 German users, 2,500 Italian users, and 2,500 Portuguese users. The analyst select a sample of 400 users, by randomly sampling 100 users of each country. is this an example of a simple random sample?
        View Answer
    It was a contract, there where no negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer
    I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Applied online, recruiter reached out to me and set up a phone interview. The interviewer over the phone was slightly ambiguous and lead me in the wrong directions. However, I think the goal was to really analyze your thinking process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Straight out of cracking the coding interview.
      Reverse a doubly linked list
        Answer Question

Client Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

The process is extremely professional. From the time the recruiter contacted me until the time an offer was presented it was a very smooth well communicated process. recruiter was very helpful in negotiations and was willing to fight for my interests. Also if you don't get the job the first time and you felt you had a nice repport with the team, keep in contact. It's easier for a company to bring in a pending candidate again that might be a better fit in a different roll than to start over again.

Interview Questions
    • A couple case questions designed to see your thought process. Interviewer is never really concerned about a definite answer, they just want to see you work through how you deal with tough questions. Another tough one for me was why you and not 1 of 500k really intelligent people applying for a job at Facebook. It's tough because this is really where you adequately sell yourself or over sell yourself.   Answer Question
    Very pleasant.

Content Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2013.

I was contacted through LinkedIn by a recruiter at Facebook. After a phone screen, the recruiter recommended that we move to the next phase and asked me to complete a written exercise that involved identifying content strategy opportunities on Facebook.

About a week later I received a response from the recruiter informing me that they would not be moving forward with my candidacy.

I was assured that my work wouldn't be used on Facebook. In the time since these initial communications, Facebook has just released a feature which is strikingly similar to what I had described in the exercise I submitted. Of course, this could be a total coincidence. but nonetheless, it would have been useful to get some kind of substantive feedback (or at least an interview) considering the time it took to complete this exercise.

Interview Questions
    • Was not offered an in-person interview so cannot offer any other info re: interview questions.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Facebook.

Had three phone interviews. The first was with the HR recruiter. The second was with a product designer and we discussed my work. The third was with another product designer and we critiqued an app / service.

Interview Questions
    • Critiquing an unknown app / service during the third interview.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I was initially contacted by a Facebook recruiter via Linkedin. She invited me to a Facebook conference in Chicago, however, it was clear that the point of the conference was to interview potential candidates. We scheduled an initial phone call, which she called in to 10 minutes late. We talked about the event, what my career goals are, if I was willing to relocate, and then she eased in 5 basic iOS questions. I answered enough of the screening questions correctly and we scheduled a 1:1 interview. The recruiter sent me an email full of links to prepare for the interview. She also told me to look on Glassdoor for interview questions. Some of the email links were broken, and only a few of the resources/reviews proved to be very helpful.

I attended the conference, which was just a few hours long, and had a 1:1 interview the next day. The interview was scheduled to be only 45 minutes, and we basically went straight into technical questions. There was only time for 2 questions and they involved writing code in a text editor that had code completion, it wasn't Xcode and was a little awkward to use. The questions were somewhat difficult, and would either require memorization of the Foundation framework or you would have had to have implemented that code recently in a real application to answer correctly. After that, there was a whole 3 minutes for any questions that I had before I was hurried off and the next candidate was processed.

After the interview, I spoke with the recruiter briefly about how it went, and immediately knew there would be some somber news coming. The recruiter scheduled a follow-up and called me back later the next week (15 minutes late) to give me the feedback from the interviewer. The feedback was not constructive, or helpful in any way. In fact, it didn't seem like any thought was put into it at all. I would even say it was on the border of disrespectful, but you can probably get away with that when you are young, important, and working for Facebook. The feedback could have been "buzz off" and I would have taken it equally as well.

Interview Questions
    • How could you cancel a block in the operation queue after it has been dispatched?   View Answer
    • How would you copy a custom object like a "Node" from a search tree in Objective C?   View Answers (2)

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook.

Recruiter reached out after applying online. A coding challenge, followed by a screen, and then on on site all day. All questions asked were totally reasonable and focused on my background/experience. No "why are man holes round questions". My interviewers were great at asking questions and holding an engaging conversation.

Interview Questions
    • They were more interested in my background than most interviews I've experienced.   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!