Facebook

Updated Nov 25, 2014
1,205 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Software Engineer Interview

The interview is quite intense, including several rounds of coding, design, and culture interviews. Some interviewers can be annoying. One person showed great disbelief when I mistook one of their great technologies by something else. Another guy was pounding me about why I wanted to be an engineer. And in one coding interview, the guy was looking at his phone while I was doing whiteboard coding. He apparently has less knowledge about the interview subject, but he did manage to find a small bug and failed me. I am glad that they did --- how can I work with such assholes? Compared to other places I went, Facebook has the highest concentration of mediocre quality, high ego engineers. An unpleasant place for engineers!

Interview Questions
    • Design questions probably, as they seem to want you to match some preset answer in their brain.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook.

Implement an asked simple function in an empty paper. Each type of variables (ex. int, double) and using conditional / iterative statement had to be chosen carefully to avoid a single mistake.
    Then typical personal questions came after the code interview.

Software Engineer, Interview

The first interview was at my University. It was your typical 45 minute face-to-face whiteboard coding style interview. During the first five minutes, my interviewer introduced himself and asked me questions about myself. Be prepared to talk about yourself and your resume. The next 35 minutes were spent entirely on 1 question. After arriving at a naive solution, I fined-tuned and optimized my code. The last 5 minutes were reserved for any questions I had.

I passed the first interview, and went on to the second interview. The flew me down to HQ. This interview went horribly. The question was more difficult than the first interview, and my interviewer's accent made him difficult to understand. After the interview, I toured Facebook's campus and had lunch, etc.

Interview Questions
    • First interview question: dutch flag problem. Given three color objects arranged randomly in an array, arrange them such that each object is together and their collective color groups are in the correct order.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

The interview was pretty straight forward. First phone interview was with the recruiter who reached out to me. Then, an onsite interview and although they said, they might have a follow-up interview, they called me the next day and said they'll be making an offer. The offer numbers came in very quickly thereafter. The entire process (from first recruiter contact to offer acceptance) took less than two weeks!

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't out of the ordinary but were well-thought out. I met with 4 interviewers (30 mins each).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview. ask one project, and why want to work in facebook. Then ask two coding question. The first one is implement strstr(), and follow up is how to speed it up. The second question is 3 sum, and the element can be duplicated. Follow up is how to speed it up.

Interview Questions
    • the interviewer ask me how to optimize the strstr() brute force method, and I said we can use KMP algorithm to do it, then he move on, and don't ask me to implement it.   Answer Question

Critical Facility Engineer Interview

I had several phone interviews with recruiters and site technicians. When chosen as one of the final group of candidates, I was invited to 6 45 min. interviews in one day. Some were done in person and some video phone.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were of a technical nature pertaining to the position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview, simply ask some question about resume and then ask coding question. They sent a link to you and use the link to coding. Just one question, the question is typed by them in the link.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree by vertical level order

2 4
      3 5

print :
      1 5
        View Answers (6)

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend.

Whole process took a week in a half - due to a pending deadline on my part.

I had a phone interview and was then invited onsite at the end of the week. The onsite interview was composed of 3 interviews. They were typical questions of any other technical interview questions - although slightly more tree-heavy than other companies.

On Monday I was contacted asking to provide references. I thought I had it in the bag because of this but Tuesday evening I was rejected.

I know that they were strong and wouldn't cause my rejection. So I guess references are asked for before the onsite interviews are processed?

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so won't disclose the exact questions - but I'd practice up on tree traversals before interviewing   Answer Question