Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
1,402 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The time between indicating to the recruiter that I was interested to the date of the final set of onsite interviews was about 1 month.

I'm local to Facebook HQ, so for the initial screening interview I was given the option to do it over the phone or onsite (I chose the latter). The interviewer asked me about my recent work history, and asked me to solve a couple of coding problems.

I returned a couple of weeks later for 5 onsite interviews, which consisted of 2 coding, 2 design, and 1 fit interview. Most of the interviews were good experiences, except for one where I unfortunately got stuck on a problem and the interviewer just sat there watching me while I struggled.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I got two phone screens. Then Facebook flew me in from Europe for onsite interviews: 1 design interview, 1 "culture fit" interview, and 4 coding/datastructures. I did well to pretty much of all them except one coding. After about two weeks, the recruiter contacted me to tell me that they weren't able to take a decision, so I got an extra phone interview with a "very senior" guy a few days afterwards.

It was an enjoyable experience for most of it. The most important problem was one interviewer who was obviously not ready to give interviews: he was totally unable to explain the problem I was supposed to solve and was interrupting me every minute.

Interview Questions
    • write a program that solves linear equations with - + and * operators given as strings. For example the input can be: "8+5+x+3*x = 10-x+4*3*x"   Answer Question

Safety Analyst Interview

Spoke with recruiter, had a follow up interview with the manager. The recruiter was really friendly, encouraging, nice. The manager asked all questions about my personality/behavior. He wasn't very friendly and was very strict on time.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

I had two technical interviews (they are not back-to-back, with about a two-week interval) plus one team matching interview on the phone. The whole process took 4~5 weeks. In both tech. interviews, there were two simple algorithm problems. My interviewer shared me a link on collabedit and I just coded there. All questions were quite basic and nothing surprising happened.

Interview Questions
    • Q1A: In a maze with empty spaces and walls, given a starting point and ending point, find a path (not necessarily shortest). (Just BFS, DFS...)
      Q1B: If the maze is stored on multiple nodes on a cluster, what do we have to do? (No coding, just give ideas)
      Q2: Given an array and a target number, tell whether there are three numbers in the array which add up to the target number. (Time complexity should be O(n^2))
      Q3: Topological sort.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Initial contact by hr. Phone screen for thirty minutes. They just go by syntax so unless you are a college graduate or prepare with focus it's not possible to break into. Even the offered solution even if it works may not be liked by the interviewer. It's a dicey game. Also it feels like they want you to join if you have any idea for them, not that they have a project in mind for you, so I doubt the job is sustainable.

Interview Questions
    • Find out if substring of given length exists in another string. Length and substring can vary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

It was a good experience . Awesome campus , very nice experience . Each interview was 45 minutes. Complete code in time is pressure. Practice in pen paper helps lot . Interviewers were nice , for coding need to cover edge case and test case.

Interview Questions
    • 4 rounds of interview . design , coding round .design a scalable architecture of a system.Need to cover different aspects of scalability . Coding round was difficult.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Twenty minute phone interview with the recruiter. Basic questions like "why do you want to work for facebook", and "what's your favorite facebook feature". Next was a one hour video conference interview with product specialists and product managers. Mostly case studies and scenarios. They also asked what product I was most proud to build (quad dome for burning man), challenges I faced at my previous jobs and how I overcame them.

Interview Questions
    • When you release a new app, how would you find bugs or pinpoint enhancements.   View Answer

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

I was referred by an internal employee and contacted by a Facebook recruiter about 2 weeks later. She described the position she was considering me for and asked me whether I am interested. I said yes and emailed her my availability for next week. Soon I was scheduled for a phone interview.

The phone interview was rather simple. However, the questions are not well thought. For example, he asked to write a query that a certain text field has text. It turned out he is testing for ‘ column like ‘%%’. I am sure there is a lot ways of testing whether I know the SQL keyword “like”. Maybe it is a English issue. Since I had some experience with Facebook’s direct competitor, I felt like the interviewer is more interested in details of how things are running at the competitor rather than in my abilities.

I got email from the recruiter the next morning about on-site interview with 5 different people – 1 data scientist, 1 from another group, 1 hiring manager, 2 direct reports of current hiring manager. I can tell that the group is extremely un-diversified in every sense, and all from eBay/PayPal. I spent 10+ years in Silicon Valley already and I know this is not a good sign. My later interviews approved every bit of my suspicions.

The data scientist only asked me SQL questions for table join and case statements. The interviewer from a different group asked me “We are going to release a new product. What’s your test plan?” I asked back about the goal and metrics of the testing, she repeated her question again “how are you going to test?” Obviously the questions are either not well prepared or misleading. The hiring manager thought I was a different person, and never read my resume at all. He asked me to walk through my resume. One of his subordinates does not know what rank() function does and kept asking me about it. The other subordinate kept asking me every single bit of details of Facebook competitor operations.
    In general, the interviewers are not well trained.

I followed up with recruiter 2 days later (she said she will have answers in 2 days before) and she said that it is extremely difficult decision. I answered all technical and specific questions very well, but not for open questions. It is very bizarre because I analyzed every “open” question from every angle. Open questions are their weapons to weed out candidates that are not of their types. Obviously open questions are used to cover other excuses or otherwise illegal reasons for rejections.

Overall, there is no common understanding between recruiter and hiring teams. There is no proper communication channel between phone interviewer and hiring manager. Totally waste of time and energy.