Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015
1,602 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions. The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was ask to answer a few question about my resume and followed two coding questions. For each question, the interviewer asked the time and space complexity and how to improve them. At the end, he asked me whether if I had questions for him or the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree level order traversal 2. Given a string and a pattern '.' Matches any single character. '*' Matches zero or more of the preceding element.), find the first substring matching this pattern.   3 Answers

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I met some researchers at a conference. From there I had a phone interview with a recruiter and then a screening with a market researcher. They flew me in to the campus for a day of four interviews and a presentation. The presentation topic was fairly open so that I could put my own spin on it. The interviews were very case-based and hypothetical. The recruiter was very prompt throughout the two-month process in getting back to me after each step was completed.

Interview Questions

• Name one feature/component of the Facebook interface that a competitor does better. Why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone chat with her the next day. After a week, I went to to the in-house interview. I arrived 5 minutes before the scheduled time and I waited for 20 minutes in the reception area. My scheduled interviewer could not make it and they found a young engineer to interview me instead. He is friendly and has worked in the industry for only 2 years. The conversation started almost like I was the interviewer as he introduced himself and told me what he does at Facebook for about 5 minutes. He asked me what I do in my current project and proceeded with a coding question. I solved the question in Java, tested edge cases, modularized the solution and discussed other potential solutions I could think of. We had a nice conversation and the interviewer agreed the solution given was good. He ended the interview by giving me the opportunity to ask any questions. They did not proceed to the next stage with me and I was surprised. Obviously I missed something and I do not know what that is. I asked the recruiter for feedback via e-mail and did not hear back.

Interview Questions

• My current project and how I scale our applications. Given n nodes and an X node, find k nearest nodes to X.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Had 2 phone screens then met with a manager in person. Afterwards I flew out to Menlo Park for an onsite interview. The entire process was incredible. Onsite took a full day. The recruiting team arranged flights, hotels, and reimbursed me for any cab fare. The very next day I was told that I would receive an offer. After receiving an offer I had multiple people reach out to me to make sure I had all my questions answered. The entire process was top notch. I had competing offers but this process was one of the factors that pushed me to ultimately choose Facebook. For such a large company to handle recruiting so seamlessly was an incredible feat in itself. A+ Experience.

Interview Questions

• Chose a well known app and critique it. What improvements could be made, how would you handle the design if you were to redo it, talk about the visual aesthetics, talk about skeuomorphic vs flat design, what would your process be etc..   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This whole process was a comedy of errors. I began by corresponding with a current member of the UX Research team (who was a professional contact only) to discuss qualifications and fit prior to submitting my resume. I submitted my resume with this person's enthusiastic endorsement. I was subsequently rejected by a recruiter under the pretense that I had "no relevant experience", only to be contacted again by my original employee contact a month or so later to tell me that there had been a mistake and that another specific recruiter who specialized in UX hiring would be reviewing my resume and reaching out to me to set up interviews ASAP. Within a week I was contacted by a totally different recruiter at a totally different location, who specialized in hiring software engineers and did not do any hiring at all for UX. My original employee contact made some inquiries, but could not figure out what had gone wrong. I spoke to the new recruiter on the phone and she was also unsure why she had ended up with my application, but promised to forward my info back to the correct UX recruiter and email me again within the week to let me know it had been done. I never heard from anyone at Facebook again, even after reaching out to both recruiters and UX Research team members. The hiring process for software people seems highly streamlined at Facebook. For anyone else...not so much.

Interview Questions

• What is your timeline like, and are you flexible about the possibility of relocating?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook (New York, NY).

Interview

30 minute phone interview with questions regarding SMB. Was asked a bunch of questions from a manager in the specific office about why I wanted it and how I could drive impact through the company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, given a very professional screening phone call. Attended two full day interview sessions with the teams. The office is lovely and the team was bright and talented. However, the commute from Marin County made accepting the position not possible.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Was recommended through internal system. They were very prompt about responding to this and flexible when I asked to move it earlier to accommodate another offer. Phone interview was poor. Interviewer clearly did not each to be there. They didn't bother to turn off notifications on computer, or even mute them. Email specifically stated coding questions would go through website x. Interviewer disagreed, they wanted to use website y. This would have been fine, but I spent half an hour familiarizing myself with x. Y was also clunky, and froze when they were copied my code. Interviewer asked me to start a session and supply her with url. I struggled with the question, and she made things worse. At the end, she said, time's up and hung up within thirty seconds.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, print it out using only putc. You cannot use any other print statements, arrays, or cast the integer to a string or character array.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me. The recruiting process is very pleasant and considerate. They even have an interview prep session that the author of cc150 gave presentation about how to ace the interview, which is very helpful. Passed the first onsite screen and moving to next step so below questions may not be applicable.