Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
1,411 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

applied online. Contected by recruiter for initial screening in facebook office. When to local fb office, where I waited for few minutes after getting to reception. First, recruiter gave tour of center and talked about perks and then took me to conference room, where I met interviewer whole first discussed about my past projects and then jumped on coding question.

Software Engineer Interview

I emailed a recruiter my resume stating that I would like to intern at Facebook over the Summer. I got a call back in about a week. She asked me "Why Facebook" and to describe one of my favorite projects. After about 15 minutes she said she would move me on to the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Why Facebook
      Describe previous projects
      what would be a perfect internship

Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

HR phone interview still in process, find the hiring manger in Linkedin and submit the application. General description on current job and the requirement of Facebook data engineer position. Then the HR says need to talk with hiring to valid my ability and decide whether go to next step

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

I had two technical interviews (they are not back-to-back, with about a two-week interval) plus one team matching interview on the phone. The whole process took 4~5 weeks. In both tech. interviews, there were two simple algorithm problems. My interviewer shared me a link on collabedit and I just coded there. All questions were quite basic and nothing surprising happened.

Interview Questions
    • Q1A: In a maze with empty spaces and walls, given a starting point and ending point, find a path (not necessarily shortest). (Just BFS, DFS...)
      Q1B: If the maze is stored on multiple nodes on a cluster, what do we have to do? (No coding, just give ideas)
      Q2: Given an array and a target number, tell whether there are three numbers in the array which add up to the target number. (Time complexity should be O(n^2))
      Q3: Topological sort.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The time between indicating to the recruiter that I was interested to the date of the final set of onsite interviews was about 1 month.

I'm local to Facebook HQ, so for the initial screening interview I was given the option to do it over the phone or onsite (I chose the latter). The interviewer asked me about my recent work history, and asked me to solve a couple of coding problems.

I returned a couple of weeks later for 5 onsite interviews, which consisted of 2 coding, 2 design, and 1 fit interview. Most of the interviews were good experiences, except for one where I unfortunately got stuck on a problem and the interviewer just sat there watching me while I struggled.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a url-shortening service?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I got two phone screens. Then Facebook flew me in from Europe for onsite interviews: 1 design interview, 1 "culture fit" interview, and 4 coding/datastructures. I did well to pretty much of all them except one coding. After about two weeks, the recruiter contacted me to tell me that they weren't able to take a decision, so I got an extra phone interview with a "very senior" guy a few days afterwards.

It was an enjoyable experience for most of it. The most important problem was one interviewer who was obviously not ready to give interviews: he was totally unable to explain the problem I was supposed to solve and was interrupting me every minute.

Interview Questions
    • write a program that solves linear equations with - + and * operators given as strings. For example the input can be: "8+5+x+3*x = 10-x+4*3*x"   Answer Question

Safety Analyst Interview

Spoke with recruiter, had a follow up interview with the manager. The recruiter was really friendly, encouraging, nice. The manager asked all questions about my personality/behavior. He wasn't very friendly and was very strict on time.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Initial contact by hr. Phone screen for thirty minutes. They just go by syntax so unless you are a college graduate or prepare with focus it's not possible to break into. Even the offered solution even if it works may not be liked by the interviewer. It's a dicey game. Also it feels like they want you to join if you have any idea for them, not that they have a project in mind for you, so I doubt the job is sustainable.

Interview Questions
    • Find out if substring of given length exists in another string. Length and substring can vary.   Answer Question