Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015
1,638 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions. The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Software Engineer V Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Run of the mill tech interview (chat with recruiter, phone/in person screen, then full loop of 4-5 engineers). One design, two coding, one personality/coding question. The interviewers were friendly, some of them looked very smart but others were as usual.

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate, offer was excellent and above Google/Amazon's.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was ask to answer a few question about my resume and followed two coding questions. For each question, the interviewer asked the time and space complexity and how to improve them. At the end, he asked me whether if I had questions for him or the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree level order traversal 2. Given a string and a pattern '.' Matches any single character. '*' Matches zero or more of the preceding element.), find the first substring matching this pattern.   3 Answers

Hardware Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial contact on LinkedIn, followed by a couple phone calls. It was a very busy time in my life at the beginning, and they were very accommodating. The culture and environment there is an experience in and of itself. People there are generally very smart, collaborative, and open to ideas.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to expertise and position responsibilities   Answer Question
    • Questions outside of expertise, where you have to think on your feet and figure it out as you go. Even if it has nothing to do with the role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Demonstrate your value! Most of this should have been done in the interviews, but re-iterate the key points and a few they may not know. They exceeded my expectations here.

Product Design Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

A few phone interviews. First screening and resume review with a recruiter, who then schedules you to have two 1 hour interviews with designers on the team. One was a portfolio review with multiple members and one was a critique of an existing app with one member (if I remember correctly).

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I think some parts of Facebook recruitment is questionable. For a PM role they ask technical questions that are not relevant info that ANY PM can get from the project team, Like system architect, etc. IF a company does not have smart SME for a PM to leverage then something is wrong. Either Facebook asks stupid interview question to reject candidates to they can justify to the government that they need H1 visa for folks from India since they could not get the right person in USA, OR they are discriminating with age by weeding out older candidates with dumb questions. I can GUARANTEE you if you ask some very basic physics or science questions from high school to FB CEO or R&D director he will fail BEST hiring manager DONT ask technical questions, they know what they can do with the right candidate just by speaking with them. Stop discriminating and stop using silly interview tactics.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Great initial calls, in-person interviews I did not were handled well or professionally. I prefer not including exactly what this position was, but it was related to marketing. There were several phone interviews following a referral, then a round of back to back in-person interviews with a team lead and team members. The in-person rounds were not handled well - it seemed some of the interviewers were unaware they had the meeting that day. The interviews did not start on time, conference rooms were not booked correctly, and we were even asked to leave one of them mid-interview. I was highly qualified for the role and still work in the industry with FB teams regularly. I have interviewed for similar roles at other major companies in the space - but thought this was a very unprofessional experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you increase adoption of a new product / feature etc. and measure success?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Had 2 phone screens then met with a manager in person. Afterwards I flew out to Menlo Park for an onsite interview. The entire process was incredible. Onsite took a full day. The recruiting team arranged flights, hotels, and reimbursed me for any cab fare. The very next day I was told that I would receive an offer. After receiving an offer I had multiple people reach out to me to make sure I had all my questions answered. The entire process was top notch. I had competing offers but this process was one of the factors that pushed me to ultimately choose Facebook. For such a large company to handle recruiting so seamlessly was an incredible feat in itself. A+ Experience.

Interview Questions

• Chose a well known app and critique it. What improvements could be made, how would you handle the design if you were to redo it, talk about the visual aesthetics, talk about skeuomorphic vs flat design, what would your process be etc..   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone chat with her the next day. After a week, I went to to the in-house interview. I arrived 5 minutes before the scheduled time and I waited for 20 minutes in the reception area. My scheduled interviewer could not make it and they found a young engineer to interview me instead. He is friendly and has worked in the industry for only 2 years. The conversation started almost like I was the interviewer as he introduced himself and told me what he does at Facebook for about 5 minutes. He asked me what I do in my current project and proceeded with a coding question. I solved the question in Java, tested edge cases, modularized the solution and discussed other potential solutions I could think of. We had a nice conversation and the interviewer agreed the solution given was good. He ended the interview by giving me the opportunity to ask any questions. They did not proceed to the next stage with me and I was surprised. Obviously I missed something and I do not know what that is. I asked the recruiter for feedback via e-mail and did not hear back.

Interview Questions

• My current project and how I scale our applications. Given n nodes and an X node, find k nearest nodes to X.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I met some researchers at a conference. From there I had a phone interview with a recruiter and then a screening with a market researcher. They flew me in to the campus for a day of four interviews and a presentation. The presentation topic was fairly open so that I could put my own spin on it. The interviews were very case-based and hypothetical. The recruiter was very prompt throughout the two-month process in getting back to me after each step was completed.

Interview Questions

• Name one feature/component of the Facebook interface that a competitor does better. Why?   Answer Question