Facebook

Updated Dec 14, 2014
1,233 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Incredibly exhausting single-day set of product interviews (with six people) starting at 9am and ending around 5pm. Extremely smart people and I really enjoyed the conversations. They give product managers a lot of responsibility.

Interview Questions
    • Run of the mill questions about engineering and wireframing. Had to talk about projecting the future.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

This was a long and drawn process that included 8 total interviews. 4 of which were by phone and 4 were in an all day in person session. The first two interviews were phone screenings, the preceding ones were from different account managers. The onsite interview was with two account managers and 2 folks from different teams

Interview Questions
    • Explain the advertising funnel and how Facebook fits into that?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

The interview process consisted of a 45 min interview with one of the dev on campus. It was a technical interview with focus on data structures like tree and algos related to the same. I was asked to print all the nodes of a tree in order. Basically an implementation of BFS and then was asked to print the tree as it appears with correct new line characters making it appear as a tree and then further was asked to modify the logic such that the nodes are indented to make it look exactly like tree(we see in all the DS books)

Software Engineer, Interview

The first interview was at my University. It was your typical 45 minute face-to-face whiteboard coding style interview. During the first five minutes, my interviewer introduced himself and asked me questions about myself. Be prepared to talk about yourself and your resume. The next 35 minutes were spent entirely on 1 question. After arriving at a naive solution, I fined-tuned and optimized my code. The last 5 minutes were reserved for any questions I had.

I passed the first interview, and went on to the second interview. The flew me down to HQ. This interview went horribly. The question was more difficult than the first interview, and my interviewer's accent made him difficult to understand. After the interview, I toured Facebook's campus and had lunch, etc.

Interview Questions
    • First interview question: dutch flag problem. Given three color objects arranged randomly in an array, arrange them such that each object is together and their collective color groups are in the correct order.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I got the opportunity through internal referral.

I passed an technical phone screening and was invited to an on-site. I had 5 interviews in total. Two coding, two system design, one with manager (on PhD research + a quick coding exercise).

The technical questions were not too difficult, but I was unprepared for the system design problems. One of the interviewers kept walking around in the room and was really distracting and annoying. I couldn't focus on solving the problem and didn't do well in that session.

The interviewing schedule was not the best. I was scheduled to have lunch at 2pm PST, but considering I'm from a couple time zones east of PST, I was already way too hungry to have lunch at that time. Perhaps a low blood sugar level also contributed to my impaired thinking abilities.

Interview Questions
    • Signed NDA. Distributed system design problems were out of my expectation as I do not claim any experience in that area nor was I interviewing with any positions related to that area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • 4 rounds onsite interviews. Not very difficult, need bug free. 45 mins each round, 5 mins break between them. People there are smart and nice. some resume questions, 1 to 2 coding problems each round   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Gave resume to recruiter on campus, was set aside for a Front End position given experiences on resume. Contacted later by the Front End recruiter. Did a mostly behavioral phone interview, a coding challenge, another phone interview, then on-sites.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were easier than expected...pretty much basic algorithm questions in JS with some HTML/CSS mixed in   Answer Question
    The package was generous; didn't feel like negotiating for internship salary. I'll probably negotiate if offered full-time. Free food and housing made the overall comp higher than other offers I received.