Facebook Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

User Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

I applied online through Facebook page, and they contacted me right immediately like on that day which was scary for me. I guess they embody truly the culture of moving fast. I got an e-mail with to complete some online test with 13 questions and they were on:
    13 questions:
    9 Analytical Multiple Choice Questions – focusing on sets, trend analysis, calculus, stats, etc.
    1 open ended basic SQL question.
    1 open ended normalization question.
    1 Multiple Choice English language comprehension question.
    1 open ended language question (this part should be 200 – 300 words).
    The entire online assessment test was conducted through hackerrank.com and it was for 90 min.
    Personally I did not go and complete the Quiz within couple of day. I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like the impossible interview and the aptitude interview from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult or unexpected thing was that they contact you right immediately leaving you no time to prepare, so before you apply take you're time to prepare and they apply. other than that this question was pretty difficult:

An analyst at Facebook is conducting a satisfaction survey sampling from a list of 10,000 new users. The list includes 2,500 French users, 2,500 German users, 2,500 Italian users, and 2,500 Portuguese users. The analyst select a sample of 400 users, by randomly sampling 100 users of each country. is this an example of a simple random sample?
        View Answer
    It was a contract, there where no negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer
    I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview, simply ask some question about resume and then ask coding question. They sent a link to you and use the link to coding. Just one question, the question is typed by them in the link.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree by vertical level order

2 4
      3 5

print :
      1 5
        Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

Facebook has two data science teams, the "core" team (which is the one featured in various news stories), and the product/growth team. I interviewed for the product side, so a core data science interview might be substantially different. From my experience, I get the sense that "data scientist" on the product side is a misnomer, and they are more of the business analysts; while the "core" team is similar to other data science teams in the bay area.

The first interview is a phone screen (or on-site if you're local). They asked a few SQL and probability questions, and it was over in ~30 minutes. My interviewer was friendly and enthusiastic, and the questions weren't particularly difficult.

The second interview was on-site, and involved talking with 5 different people (or groups of people). Each interviewer had a specific task they were asking about, including business analytics/product health questions, stats/probability theory, algorithms, and more SQL. The questions weren't particularly hard or out of left field but they're looking for you to answer confidently and efficiently.

The people were overwhelmingly friendly and tended to be enthusiastic about working for Facebook (although, at least 2 of my interviewers subtly admitted they were casually looking for jobs - so, I suspect even employees at Facebook aren't 100% fulfilled by their positions).

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised that there were no machine learning or data mining questions, or any personality/experience ("tell me about a time when you...") questions. The more technical questions were things that a graduating CS student would succeed at, but did not involve principles that you would actually use in practice in a data role at a company.

Also, make sure you continue working on a problem until you've provided the most efficient solution you think you can. I stopped after I had a working solution, and indicated to the interviewer that I don't think it's the most efficient solution. The interviewer said it was fine and we moved on to another question. Nonetheless, the biggest piece of feedback I got from the recruiter afterwards is that I didn't provide a solution that was sufficiently efficient.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I was contacted by a Facebook recruiter, and offered an interview for a Software Engineer Internship. I had two interviews, both a combination of talking on the phone and coding on collabedit.com. The first interview took place about five days after I was first contacted about the position; the interviewer asked a few questions about projects I'd done and then started with programming questions. The second interview happened a week later, and the interviewer dove straight into coding problems. I was asked general algorithm questions, like get the n-th Fibonacci number, find the square root of a number, find the depth of a binary tree, merge two arrays, etc. Both interviewers saved time at the end for any questions I wanted to ask them.

Interview Questions
    • Display the sorted output of a merge of any number of sorted arrays. Then do it again, more efficiently.   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Applied online through my college recruiting and received notification from HR of a phone interview a few weeks later. Interview consisted up a few dice probability questions followed by a more difficult question on probability. The last question consisted of a few short programming questions. They say you can answer them in any language but they are ideally posed as SQL questions.

Interview Questions
    • Two points are randomly placed on a line of length 1. What is the probability that the three segments created form a triangle?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Internal Referral -> Phone Interview -> Onsite Loop -> Offer
    The process was quick, however I interviewed before the holidays and had to wait until afterwards to hear the results. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. HR always keeps you updated on the process.

Interview Questions
    Had a competing offer from another giant so I was able to negotiate.

User Researcher Interview

I did a phone interview with HR person and a small research design assignment - usability testing plan - they gave me 48 hours to finish it and write no more than 1500 words

Interview Questions
    • tell me how would you design and lead a usability test for a product that is going to be launched in 6 month. give me detailed method and user recruitment plan.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

A recruiter contacted me. After confirming that I would like to interview for the position, I was asked basic questions around networking, Linux system administration, and programming. A graduating Computer Science student should expect to pass this with little difficulty.

Next was a phone interview for programming. I was asked to take input text and identify the unique words in the text and how many times each word occurred. Edge cases were important as was the performance. Interviewer asked for an analysis of the run-time and memory usage. Any second-year CS student should have no problem completing this in far less than the allocated time.

Next was a phone interview for systems administration. I was given the bare minimum information possible about a system and told to describe how I discover running services and potential issues. As I progressed, the interviewer gave me information reasonable based on my descriptions and identified when I had correctly discovered a problem or possible problem. In investigating problems, it was important to be specific about why the problem was occurring and how to address the issue. When addressing problems, the performance, scalability, and maintainability of the solution was very important. Be prepared to identify how a file system is mounted or if it's local, and be prepared to encounter a single central share mounted by many servers with active read/write activity from them all. This will be difficult for anyone without good real-world Linux systems administration experience.

Next I was flown out to HQ for a series of on-site interviews. A manager spoke to me to gauge my understanding of Facebook and the Production Engineering position (rely on the job description and don't be afraid to ask your recruiter lots of questions!) and to get to know me.

There's another interview about coding and another one for systems administration. Both are along the same lines as the phone interview, but more in-depth and more difficult.

There's a systems design interview, where you'll be given a target and asked to design a scalable and performant system to accomplish the goal. You may be asked to analyze the storage requirements (core and/or persistent) and network requirements of your system.

The last interview type is a networking interview, which is very in-depth and requires extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP/IP, DNS, etc. Essentially, start at a command prompt and think of what happens when you type "telnet www.facebook.com 80" - be prepared to talk about almost every single network-related thing that happens at all seven OSI layers. Know your packet layouts!

Throughout the entire process, my recruiter was always on top of keeping me informed and always answered questions very quickly (I rarely waited even most of a day for a reply). I rarely needed to ask anything about what to expect because she kept me so well informed. Don't worry too much about thinking at Facebook's scale, they understand that very few people have worked on anything even approaching their size and scale. Everyone you deal with will work hard to make things go as smoothly as it can.

Interview Questions
    • The entire networking interview was very difficult, I was not expecting the amount of in-depth knowledge expected for that interview.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

One of their recruiters reached out to me on LinkedIn, and we set up a time to talk. The recruiter was very aggressive, and indicated they liked to move quickly. We had an hour set up to talk, and used the whole time, and the recruiter had to leave the call right at the end of the hour.

I was concerned that the position wasn't the right fit for me (currently in an executive role within a technology organization, however I have a very technical background). The recruiter quickly dismissed my concerns, and proceeded to continue a technical "quiz show" ("describe for me the TCP three-way handshake and what impact latency has on user experience" for example). We finished the hour with essentially no time for me to ask any questions to qualify the position or if it was something _I_ was interested in.

They immediately scheduled an interview with someone in the group I'd be working in. We started the call talking about what I'm doing now, and the interviewer asked me why I was interested in this role. I explained I didn't have the opportunity to qualify the position with the recruiter, and was looking to get that out of this call. After a couple more minutes, we acknowledged it was not a position I was interested in, and that I'd be better off in the engineering organization, which the interviewer would recommend back to the recruiter.

I emailed the recruiter back with the same, and never heard from him again. Based on his title and his LinkedIn profile, I suspect he recruits specifically for this role, and wasn't going to spend any time trying to help fill another role.

Interview Questions
    • General technical "quiz show" - nothing particularly difficult for someone who has long been in the field.   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!