Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015
1,653 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

I applied online through the Facebook website and heard back from HR within 2 weeks. After speaking with the recruiter, we setup a phone interview with one of the engineers. The phone interview was about 20 minutes long and consisted of 2 questions which were algorithmic in nature, one of which was reversing a linked list. I heard back from them about a week later and we setup a time for an on-site interview. I was alotted $1000USD for travel expenses to travel from Toronto, ON to Palo Alto, CA. The on-site interview lasted 4 hours and was split up into 1 hour interviews with a different engineer. The questions were mostly abstract, and language independent. Content of the questions varied from riddles to database design. My impression of the first three engineers was good, they seemed like nice guys, and knowledgeable. The last interviewer came off as pretentious, I felt as though he wanted me to fail -- just my opinion! Overall, the office culture seemed relaxed and the problems they are solving there are interesting ones. I'd recommend interviewing with them if only for the chance to visit Palo Alto!

Interview Questions

• You have two lightbulbs and a 100-storey building. You want to find the floor at which the bulbs will break when dropped. Find the floor using the least number of drops.   27 Answers

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

The recruiting department is incredibly cool. After the interview the recruiter actually called me to tell me my skills were NOT good enough. This is very unusual in the job hunting world. Also, facebook doesnt really care about a degree if you have experience even if they say they require one. However, without computer science knowledge you will fail the interview.

Interview Questions

• Pass a list of word to a function [car, rats, arc, star] and have the function group the words which are anagrams of eachother.   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2010.

Interview

I applied on facebook/careers and was contact by their HR for a screening test which consists of some behavioral questions and a few simple questions about c/c++ & Algo, such as what's a virtual destructor. And then they scheduled me for a tech phone interview during which I was asked to do two programming questions on Collabedit.com.

Interview Questions

• Implement stack using a queue   3 Answers
    • Print out all combinations of k numbers out of 1...N e.g. when k = 2, n = 4 Print out 12, 13, 14, 23, 24, 34   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Multiple interviews. Very heavy CS/discrete math based questions. They are definitely hiring only the smartest people! Also, long waits between interviews. Other than that, they were very professional and employees were open in sharing their experience while working at Facebook (lots of energy and enthusiasm in general, mostly because its a lot of young/college kids)

Interview Questions

• Given two events, each with a start and end time, implement a boolean check to see if they overlap.   4 Answers
    • Reverse a string in-place using C.   2 Answers

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2010.

Interview

Received an inquiry from a recruiter after sending resume. Basic questions about Facebook's business and my background. Was followed with by another recruiter who setup technical interview. Consisted of writing psuedo code to perform basic functions. Other questions about troubleshooting API issues and how you would go about it. Next step would have been an onsite but don't think I will get that.

Interview Questions

• How does Facebook make money?   1 Answer
    • Given an API call that returns a null value and no error message, how would you go about troubleshooting the problem?   2 Answers

Software Engineering Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

I had a 45 minute phone interview. Then they flew me out to CA, where I had a 3 hour interview, 1 hr with each of the interviewers. It was a very technical interview- logic puzzles and writing code. They didn't ask about my work experience or leadership experience, but did ask about some of the larger projects I'd done in school.

Interview Questions

• 25 racehorses, no stopwatch. 5 tracks. Figure out the top three fastest horses in the fewest number of races.   7 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

It's a tough company to get in. I had to do a recruiter screen, another phone screen with a team member, one in house with 3 team members, and another in house with 2 team members - including the director of the group. Mostly behavior with a few analytical situational questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

This was probably one of the longest interview processes I had to go through. The recruiter was wonderful. She was always very professional and responsive. First I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. It was a very straight forward conversation and he asked me to give him some pseudo code on how to square a number using their online tool. Standard algorithm questions which I answered correctly. Afterward, the recruiter said it went well and that she would be in contact with me about what the next steps are. A week goes by and she calls me back telling me I have to write an Adobe Air or Java application using the Facebook API's. I thought it was a little bit much for them to ask me to spend my time writing something I would not be getting paid for. I really wanted to get the job and impress the hiring manager though so I spent my free time, over a two week period making something that looked great and worked really well. It then took them two months to review the application. To me this was totally unprofessional and kind of a slap in the face. The recruiter was in contact with me the whole time and told me they were all busy with their big change to the privacy features. Finally the hiring manager looked at the application but the recruiter told me they wanted someone else internal to look at the code as well. She told me they were impressed with the application and had rejected a lot of other candidates applications right away. I sat in limbo another few weeks while another person looked at the application. The recruiter then calls me back to tell me that the position I was applying for was dropped. Not that they hired someone else, but that they changed the role I was applying for completely. I think the software engineering interview process has hit an all time low. First they make the engineer jump through hoops of logic games. Then spout out algorithms and uses of design patterns like robots. Finally you have to spend your free time writing something that they are only going to throw in the garbage. We have all really fallen to a sad state.

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo code to raise a number to a power.   10 Answers

Applications Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward, though extremely slow. A single phone interview before being brought onsite. Apparently I was brought onsite and skipped a phone interview. The interview at Facebook's University Ave site was a bit odd. Employees are crammed in like sardines. More packed than most startups. It was very loud. I went through two sets of in-person interviews (a total of five or six people). The interviewers had extremely good / difficult interview questions. Nearly all the people I spoke with seemed extremely disinterested by the interview process. It was very difficult to figure out what working there would be like.

Interview Questions

• Draw out Facebook's infrastructure.   1 Answer
    • Programming test, take an arbitrary text input and transform it to a specified data format.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Facebook in October 2011.

Interview

Hr contacted me and gave a timed skill test, through interviewstreet. I didn't like to code in that website nor coding a timed test. basically they don't know how long its going to take and they give very less time.They don't tell that u can pause or come again etc.. in my opinion FB is over hyped good place to work move on to other good companies ;)

Interview Questions

• given a list of words with a same size and a big string that contains one of the permutation of all the words combined(say p), find the startindex of the string p in the big string   6 Answers