Facebook

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Average Difficulty
1,067 candidate interviews

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – campus recruiting and campus interview. I submit my resume in career fair and get notification of interview on the next day. The interviewer first asked me some questions on my resume and then asked me a technical question

Interview Question – something related to my resume. like how this project works   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Production Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter initially asked me a handful of one-word-answer system administration questions. Subsequently had three phone screening interviews spaced over a couple of weeks before being invited to fly out to SF for an on-site interview.

The screening interviews were straightforward 45-minute phone calls using an shared text editor site to code.

The on-site interview was a full day consisting of 4 seperate interviews on different topics. The engineers I interacted with were all very friendly, and the questions asked were at times difficult but very fair: everything I was asked seemed very relevant to the potential job and assessing my general programming skill (no "stupid hard for the sake of being stupid hard" sort of questions).

The campus is fantastic, and I got to spend a lot of time with the recruiter, who was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, asking questions and wondering around checking the place out. The trip would have been worth the time even if I didn't get an offer.

About a week after my on-site interview, I got a call from the recruiter saying they wanted to offer me the position. The next day we discussed the compensation details, and a few days later I accepted.

Negotiation Details – You will be asked what compensation you are expecting annually

Technical Project Manager Interview

Technical Project Manager
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial contact and screening took place over Facebook messenger. It was a little odd, being the first interview I'd ever had over a chat system. But it at least got me in the door. There was another phone screen after that with a member of the team, then they brought me onsite. I met with 5 people and it lasted most of the day. Some were good solid interviews with real people who liked to have a conversation and get real information. Some were very cold interviews literally read off a script right in front of me without making any eye contact. I was surprised at the range of interviewing skills and styles.

In the end, I was not offered the job. However, I was never actually told "no". I was only told "we're meeting later this week to discuss" or "there are a few more candidates to get through before we make a decision" and "just wait one more week and we'll have more information." They eventually just stopped answering my emails for a status. I got the hint, and probably for the best.

Interview Question – Describe how the website works. (That's the whole question, with no context.)   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – The interview process for the internship position consisted of two phone interviews. The first interview was more about my past experience and had a single programming question. During the interview you're supposed to code the solution in a language of your choice. The interviewer will see what you're coding as you type and make mistakes. By doing so they have insights on how you approach programming problems.

The second interview had two programming questions with similar degree of difficulty.

Interview Question – The first problem was the classical "reverse a linked list" problem. It's easy, but may make you feel nervous as getting the pointer manipulation right may be tricky.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I basically said yes.

User Operations Analyst Interview

User Operations Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through Facebook page, and they contacted me right immediately like on that day which was scary for me. I guess they embody truly the culture of moving fast. I got an e-mail with to complete some online test with 13 questions and they were on:
13 questions:
9 Analytical Multiple Choice Questions – focusing on sets, trend analysis, calculus, stats, etc.
1 open ended basic SQL question.
1 open ended normalization question.
1 Multiple Choice English language comprehension question.
1 open ended language question (this part should be 200 – 300 words).
The entire online assessment test was conducted through hackerrank.com and it was for 90 min.
Personally I did not go and complete the Quiz within couple of day. I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like the impossible interview and the aptitude interview from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

Interview Question – The most difficult or unexpected thing was that they contact you right immediately leaving you no time to prepare, so before you apply take you're time to prepare and they apply. other than that this question was pretty difficult:

An analyst at Facebook is conducting a satisfaction survey sampling from a list of 10,000 new users. The list includes 2,500 French users, 2,500 German users, 2,500 Italian users, and 2,500 Portuguese users. The analyst select a sample of 400 users, by randomly sampling 100 users of each country. is this an example of a simple random sample?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a contract, there where no negotiations.

Quantitative Analyst- People Analytics Interview

Quantitative Analyst- People Analytics

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks.

The recruiter contacted me the day after my resume was internally referred. Set up a call a couple of days later for a short chat (15 mins) about the nature of the job, my general qualifications and backgrounds, and continued interest in the position. I was immediately notified I'd be moved to the next interview, a 45 minute phone interview with the head of the team. The recruiter was very informative about the subject of the call (statistics, statistical methods/concepts) and background of the interviewer. Interview went well.

Fifteen minutes after that interview concluded, the recruiter called me, asked me how I felt it went, and informed me I'd be moving toward a second (45-minute) phone interview. The call was scheduled for the following week and again, I was informed on the subject of the interview (advanced stats, probability, and live syntax for data management) as well as the background of the interviewer (quantitative engineer). The call went well, though I did stumble a little bit over the syntax (I'd just taught myself over the weekend), but not because it was difficult.

A week later I was informed my interviews went generally well, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the next round. My background is in org psychology, and I think they were looking for someone with more engineering/computer programming experience. Overall, very pleasant experience working through the process.

Interview Question – Advanced stats questions regarding HLM. Explain in layman's terms.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Sent in my resume and cover letter. Then asked to participate in a over the phone programming test. Test lasts 30-45 minutes. They said to expect mid to high difficulty questions. Only had 2, to my detriment I blanked out and answered the questions but not efficiently.

Interview Question – They asked me to make a function to determine if two sets of numbers are overlapping. (1, 3) (2, 5) are overlapping.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter was excellent and quickly scheduled the first interview, but the manager seemed too busy and unprepared for the interview. When asked about development processes, make sure you show how flexible you are. They aren't looking for candidates who follow a strict SDLC; they want someone who can deal with less structure.

Interview Question – Tell me about the N-1 problem with ORMs.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Production Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me. After confirming that I would like to interview for the position, I was asked basic questions around networking, Linux system administration, and programming. A graduating Computer Science student should expect to pass this with little difficulty.

Next was a phone interview for programming. I was asked to take input text and identify the unique words in the text and how many times each word occurred. Edge cases were important as was the performance. Interviewer asked for an analysis of the run-time and memory usage. Any second-year CS student should have no problem completing this in far less than the allocated time.

Next was a phone interview for systems administration. I was given the bare minimum information possible about a system and told to describe how I discover running services and potential issues. As I progressed, the interviewer gave me information reasonable based on my descriptions and identified when I had correctly discovered a problem or possible problem. In investigating problems, it was important to be specific about why the problem was occurring and how to address the issue. When addressing problems, the performance, scalability, and maintainability of the solution was very important. Be prepared to identify how a file system is mounted or if it's local, and be prepared to encounter a single central share mounted by many servers with active read/write activity from them all. This will be difficult for anyone without good real-world Linux systems administration experience.

Next I was flown out to HQ for a series of on-site interviews. A manager spoke to me to gauge my understanding of Facebook and the Production Engineering position (rely on the job description and don't be afraid to ask your recruiter lots of questions!) and to get to know me.

There's another interview about coding and another one for systems administration. Both are along the same lines as the phone interview, but more in-depth and more difficult.

There's a systems design interview, where you'll be given a target and asked to design a scalable and performant system to accomplish the goal. You may be asked to analyze the storage requirements (core and/or persistent) and network requirements of your system.

The last interview type is a networking interview, which is very in-depth and requires extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP/IP, DNS, etc. Essentially, start at a command prompt and think of what happens when you type "telnet www.facebook.com 80" - be prepared to talk about almost every single network-related thing that happens at all seven OSI layers. Know your packet layouts!

Throughout the entire process, my recruiter was always on top of keeping me informed and always answered questions very quickly (I rarely waited even most of a day for a reply). I rarely needed to ask anything about what to expect because she kept me so well informed. Don't worry too much about thinking at Facebook's scale, they understand that very few people have worked on anything even approaching their size and scale. Everyone you deal with will work hard to make things go as smoothly as it can.

Interview Question – The entire networking interview was very difficult, I was not expecting the amount of in-depth knowledge expected for that interview.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview Details – Short talk with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview. Phone interview involved talking about my previous projects, why facebook, was there anything that concerned me about the role, etc. It then involved a coding question which i've detailed below:

Interview Question – Implement a method called printNonComments() which prints out a extract of text with comments removed.

For example, the input:

hello /* this is a
multi line comment */ all

Should produce:

hello
all

You have access to a method called getNextLine() which returns the next line in the input string.
  Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!