Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015
1,600 Interview Reviews

3.2

SMB Account Manager Interview

Application

interviewed at Facebook in February 2012.

Interview

I started out by doing an informational phone interview, then a second phone interview with a manager. They gave me an at-home research assignment to simulate some of the work done by the SMB team. Afterwards, I got called into the office for a series of interviews over the course of a couple hours. I did a total of four 30 min interviews with members of the SMB account team. Afterwards I got a call a few days later letting me know they made a decision.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

There are several interviews that one has to go through in order to be considered. After passing the recruiter screen, I went through a phone screen where I had a discussion with the hiring manager, who would gauge my fit for the team/company. Once passed, I went on to a full interview where several members of the team would interview me from different perspectives, technical depth, continued cultural fit, and basic PM skillset

Interview Questions

• A scenario where a project didn't go according to initial plan, and what you did overcome that change/roadblock.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Internal recruiter contacted me. I had an initial phone screen with recruiter, including a couple basic technical questions, followed by a phone screen with an engineer where we coded on a collaborative editing Web site. Heard back the next day and we scheduled for an on-site. On-site consisted of 4 interviews, two technical, one architectural, and one behavioral. All interviews involved writing on a white board (actually just writing on the wall in a small room). Recruiters were consistently punctual and professional. Interviewers were friendly and helped keep the process low-stress.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Similar to some others, I first got a LinkedIn message from a Facebook HR staff based in India. We scheduled the first phone interview, which is a simple quiz with 5 multiple choice questions, conducted by the HR staff. Afterwards, I had the 2nd and 3rd interview with Facebook iOS engineers, different people but the format is pretty much the same. Each is about 45 min to 1 hour, asked me to do live coding on coderpad.io. I progressed and Facebook flied me from Sydney to Silicon Valley for a face to face interview. It's from 10am-3pm. Touched on many areas including behavioural questions, iOS app architecture, write code on whiteboard, time and space complexity, etc. I did not get an offer in the end but very impressed by the process.

Interview Questions

• Given a number e.g. 234, print all combinations of their dial pad letters e.g. "adg", "adh", "adi", "aeg", "aeh", "aei"...   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Hyderābād (India)).

Interview

1 recruiter phone interview 1 business phone interview 4 Onsite interviews by possible peers and superiors The recruiter was amazing. Kept me informed all through the process, closed the loop with me every step of the way. Some interviewers were very friendly and others were poker faced but questions were all relevant and tough

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work at FB Prior experience Scenarios from past experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me, but I didn't start the phone screen until four weeks later as I wasn't fully prepared. After I passed the phone screen, I was invited to onsite interview the next day. I went to their office two weeks later. After three week I was told that I didn't pass as I didn't do well in the system design round. The recruiter said as I had three years experience, so the position was a senior position, so the system design interview was really critical.

Interview Questions

• I forgot some of the coding problems, but here are what I can remember. 1. move all 0s to the front of an integer array. 2. given a target and a sorted array, find the highest value smaller than the target. 3. given a 0-1 matrix, find the largest graph that is 1-connected. 4. design a system that can quickly return public accounts' activity data. For example, how many persons like/comment Taylor Swift's status. 5. In culture fit round, was asked many questions about how and why did you make this decision, what would you do in this case. For example, why did you apply for grad school? why not go to industry after undergrad? Why did you choose your current company three years ago? Why did you move to this state? If at that time you also got an offer from FB, what would you do? Why FB?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Very positive. Super punctual, super friendly, very respectful and fun. Got no match but I think they were looking for some junior slot & didn't really know @ the end what to do with me since I'm @ fairly senior level and somehow they expected things fall into place somewhere or something? Hard to say. Would recommend to anyone who gets asked to run the process (if you can spare the time to prepare for the pretty-off-the-mill-do-you-know-your-heaps kind of thing). Only thing I would say if you're @ senior level, let their recruiters down gently if they don't a specific thing for you in mind, e'one ends up wasting time a tad.

Interview Questions

• python/C over bunch of harder/less hard things. One was to always keep 10 smallest numbers out of a running stream, the most interesting one was how to find longest scrabble word given bunch letters & a dictionary (others I forgot, fairly simple stuff). There was a C question with adapting a lousy API to a better one with a hidden trick (usual 'how quickly can you optimize' stuff). Bunch of things about 'how you design memcached or search over all facebook posts' which is really system design (that was asked by mostly young guys that couldn't have possibly have had the real experience to judge why the hard, non-obvious trade-offs are needed vs. cool ideas but they were bright so the whiteboard shoot-out was fun).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone chat with her the next day. After a week, I went to to the in-house interview. I arrived 5 minutes before the scheduled time and I waited for 20 minutes in the reception area. My scheduled interviewer could not make it and they found a young engineer to interview me instead. He is friendly and has worked in the industry for only 2 years. The conversation started almost like I was the interviewer as he introduced himself and told me what he does at Facebook for about 5 minutes. He asked me what I do in my current project and proceeded with a coding question. I solved the question in Java, tested edge cases, modularized the solution and discussed other potential solutions I could think of. We had a nice conversation and the interviewer agreed the solution given was good. He ended the interview by giving me the opportunity to ask any questions. They did not proceed to the next stage with me and I was surprised. Obviously I missed something and I do not know what that is. I asked the recruiter for feedback via e-mail and did not hear back.

Interview Questions

• My current project and how I scale our applications. Given n nodes and an X node, find k nearest nodes to X.   Answer Question

Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Multiple rounds of 1:1, then a group presentation. Then an additional series of 1:1 interviews where they are seeking different ways to get at the core of what motivates you and drives you.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This whole process was a comedy of errors. I began by corresponding with a current member of the UX Research team (who was a professional contact only) to discuss qualifications and fit prior to submitting my resume. I submitted my resume with this person's enthusiastic endorsement. I was subsequently rejected by a recruiter under the pretense that I had "no relevant experience", only to be contacted again by my original employee contact a month or so later to tell me that there had been a mistake and that another specific recruiter who specialized in UX hiring would be reviewing my resume and reaching out to me to set up interviews ASAP. Within a week I was contacted by a totally different recruiter at a totally different location, who specialized in hiring software engineers and did not do any hiring at all for UX. My original employee contact made some inquiries, but could not figure out what had gone wrong. I spoke to the new recruiter on the phone and she was also unsure why she had ended up with my application, but promised to forward my info back to the correct UX recruiter and email me again within the week to let me know it had been done. I never heard from anyone at Facebook again, even after reaching out to both recruiters and UX Research team members. The hiring process for software people seems highly streamlined at Facebook. For anyone else...not so much.

Interview Questions

• What is your timeline like, and are you flexible about the possibility of relocating?   Answer Question