Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
1,105 Interview Reviews

3.3

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook.

Recruiter reached out after applying online. A coding challenge, followed by a screen, and then on on site all day. All questions asked were totally reasonable and focused on my background/experience. No "why are man holes round questions". My interviewers were great at asking questions and holding an engaging conversation.

Interview Questions
    • They were more interested in my background than most interviews I've experienced.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

-HR person got in touch with me the day after I applied and scheduled a technical phone interview
    -45 minute phone interview where I had to code using CollabEdit
    -Talked about one of my projects in school first, then 1 coding question: Given a matrix, write an algorithm where if an element in the matrix is 0, turns all the elements in that row and column into zeros
    -Thought it went pretty well, I solved the question (although I think I took too long) and the interviewer was very nice and put me at ease but I didn't get an offer. I will try again though :)

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter via Linkedin inmail. I replied back and we scheduled a phone call with the recruiter. The recruiter also sent me a link to the job posting she was trying to staff and a few opencompute.org links.

Few days later we had the phone call. The recruiter asked me some basic technical questions like: What do you look at PCB design review? What is your experience with voltage regulation?... Later in the call the recruiter mentioned she will need my resume and they want me to do Hardware Practical Test. I agreed

I took me a few days to get my resume ready during which I was pinged by the recruiter to make sure I am still in business. I thought it is a good sign and that they want to move fast. After few days I sent the resume and we scheduled the Hardware Practical. The format of the Hardware Piratical is that they send it to you over email and you should reply with a solution within an hour. See the exact monostable circuit question below.

I fully and timely solved the Hardware Practical. I tested my solution in circuit simulator. I documented my solution. I printed it out and verified that it meets the requirements. After sending the solution I have not heard from them for a week. It was surprising as it is probably a question they have sent out many times so they should be able to check it quickly. It is not like the final go hiring decision. In between the recruiter called me and asked me some more questions , how you troubleshoot a signal integrity issue and what interfaces are you familiar with DDR, PCIe, SATA ect....

I always feel awkward when the recruiter is asking me technical questions. Especially open ended ones. Can we really develop technical discussion there or do I need to match some pattern that Facebook Engineer gave to this recruiter?

After a week I got an email that I am not a fit. It was surprising as I am very confident about the Hardware Practical solution. She also did not provide any clue as to why I am not a fit, over qualified? Not relevant experience? Hardware Practical? Something else?

Overall experience is negative. I would expect Facebook to be more open, professional and prompt in their communication with candidates. Also IMHO making the recruiter ask technical question is not the best idea.

Interview Questions
    • Design a circuit with 0V to 3.3V step at the input and negative 1ms pule at the output.
      Input: ___|----- CIRCUIT Output: -----|_____|------

5. Draw,a time,graph,of,all,of,the,nodes,
      in,the,circuit,that,are,switching.
        Answer Question

Client Partner Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

I applied on Facebook Jobs and within a few days got an email to set up a date for a phone call interview. The call was set and it took less than 30 minutes. It was very generic, asking to detail my recent position and what it detailed - responsibilities, analytical skills and how these were applied on a daily basis and so forth.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell Facebook to clients? What are the benefits of advertising over Facebook, as you see it.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Finance Associate Manager, Global Sales & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Facebook.

Facebook gave me a verbal offer and then took it back.

1. I was initially contacted by an FB recruiter to have a phone interview where we discussed typical experience questions.
    2. I was then brought in-house to interview with the GSM finance team (the hiring manager and direct reports). I enjoyed meeting the team as everyone was friendly and seemed like people I wanted to work with. The questions covered FP&A, experience, and situations.
    3. I then made it to the next and final round which was with two finance directors. The questions were mainly high level (e.g. where do you want to be in five years, what project are you most proud of, etc.).
    4. Several days later, the recruiter called me and told me I got the job! During the call she asked me if I would take the job as we had just gone through weeks of interviews and FB needed someone to take the job. Obviously, I said yes, basically committing myself to FB (I had told the recruiter I had interviews scheduled with other companies, but said I was going to cancel them because I wanted FB). She then proceeded to talk to me about my compensation requirements and asked for two references. Over the next several days she spoke to my references, which the recruiter later told me went well.
    5. I wait several days thinking they are putting the offer together. After not hearing anything I contact the recruiter. She tells me that the hiring manager quit out of the blue and that they won't be able to make me a formal offer because the hiring manager's boss doesn't want me to start without a manager in place. This didn't make sense to me. Why not just have me start and learn from the team until a new manager is in place? Or why not tell me I can start once they hire a new manager? Also, when hiring someone you aren't hiring the person solely for the role but because he/she is good for the company and will add value in the long-term, so why take back a verbal offer and why not just let me start? This was an extremely frustrating experience because I had essentially committed to FB once they made me the verbal offer, but apparently FB didn't commit to me. After getting the verbal offer, I also canceled interviews with other companies, told numerous people (family, friends, coworkers) that I got a new job, and even had a celebratory dinner with my friends.
    6. FB then wasted my time again by letting me interview for another finance role several weeks later, which I knew wasn't a fit with my experience and knew I wasn't going to get. I ultimately never made it past the first round.

This is feedback on Facebook's recruiting and hiring process. If you make a verbal offer, stick to it. FB may think that a verbal offer is not the same as a formal offer obviously, but in my years of experience as long as the candidate has a good reference check, which I did, the high high majority of the time, a verbal offer turns into a formal offer. And at least personally apologize for putting a candidate through this process instead of sending a generic rejection email.

7. To top it off, I recently learned that the FB recruiter that I had been working with used my name to connect with my friend that works at another company to try to get a strong candidate (that had interviewed at FB but ultimately didn't get the role) who was interested in a finance role at my friend's company, a referral for the role. I guess the FB recruiter wanted to help this person out because FB felt bad that they couldn't give this person an offer at FB.

To all reading I just want to let you know that this is what went down for me while recruiting with Facebook.

IT Manager APAC Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

Got an email from Facebook Recruiter, to check if I was interested in this position. The recruiter provided a link with the Job Description; which I proceeded to apply for the position.
    Within 3 days the recruiter set up a screening call - lasted for about 40 minutes. General questions about my current job, my experience and my interest in the Facebook role.
    Then she set up Video call in about 2 weeks with the Hiring Manager. The interview was very professional. No difficult questions, just getting to know me and my background. Lasted about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. An interesting question by the hiring manager - Tell me a time you failed in a project or a task - and what did you learn from that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

Two interviews - one on my university campus, one on the nearest Facebook campus. Got back promptly after the second interview. The culture is amazingly open, any intern can look at any piece of code in the company - nothing is secret. Additionally a lot of trust is put in interns and employees.

Interview Questions
    • Standard rotated binary search question. You have a sorted array that has been shifted/cycled, perform a search on it   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation, there seemed to be a formula for salary for interns.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I did not go beyond the first screening interview. Though I did not make it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the interview as the interviewer was interacting and helping me solve the problems and having discussion about the problem

Interview Questions
    • How would u find out the number of cars passing through a busy bridge   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. He set up a call with the relevant FB department.I was not looking actively for a job, so was little under prepared. The interviewer was nice and came across as a knowledgeable hands-on person. Provided a shared hackpad to do the white boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • Was not expecting a simple heap search algorithm implementation.   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!