Facebook Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
1,094 interviews

3.3

Production Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

A recruiter contacted me. After confirming that I would like to interview for the position, I was asked basic questions around networking, Linux system administration, and programming. A graduating Computer Science student should expect to pass this with little difficulty.

Next was a phone interview for programming. I was asked to take input text and identify the unique words in the text and how many times each word occurred. Edge cases were important as was the performance. Interviewer asked for an analysis of the run-time and memory usage. Any second-year CS student should have no problem completing this in far less than the allocated time.

Next was a phone interview for systems administration. I was given the bare minimum information possible about a system and told to describe how I discover running services and potential issues. As I progressed, the interviewer gave me information reasonable based on my descriptions and identified when I had correctly discovered a problem or possible problem. In investigating problems, it was important to be specific about why the problem was occurring and how to address the issue. When addressing problems, the performance, scalability, and maintainability of the solution was very important. Be prepared to identify how a file system is mounted or if it's local, and be prepared to encounter a single central share mounted by many servers with active read/write activity from them all. This will be difficult for anyone without good real-world Linux systems administration experience.

Next I was flown out to HQ for a series of on-site interviews. A manager spoke to me to gauge my understanding of Facebook and the Production Engineering position (rely on the job description and don't be afraid to ask your recruiter lots of questions!) and to get to know me.

There's another interview about coding and another one for systems administration. Both are along the same lines as the phone interview, but more in-depth and more difficult.

There's a systems design interview, where you'll be given a target and asked to design a scalable and performant system to accomplish the goal. You may be asked to analyze the storage requirements (core and/or persistent) and network requirements of your system.

The last interview type is a networking interview, which is very in-depth and requires extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP/IP, DNS, etc. Essentially, start at a command prompt and think of what happens when you type "telnet www.facebook.com 80" - be prepared to talk about almost every single network-related thing that happens at all seven OSI layers. Know your packet layouts!

Throughout the entire process, my recruiter was always on top of keeping me informed and always answered questions very quickly (I rarely waited even most of a day for a reply). I rarely needed to ask anything about what to expect because she kept me so well informed. Don't worry too much about thinking at Facebook's scale, they understand that very few people have worked on anything even approaching their size and scale. Everyone you deal with will work hard to make things go as smoothly as it can.

Interview Questions
    • The entire networking interview was very difficult, I was not expecting the amount of in-depth knowledge expected for that interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

I was contacted by the recruiter through linkedin. I had an initial call with the recruiter where I was asked about my interests and what I might be looking for. Recruiter explained me the entire process on how the interview goes. Usually they have an initial phone interview, where you have to write code through collabedit. After that in person interview.

Phone interview was all about data structures. First the interviewer asked me what interests me about facebook, what is one thing about facebook I like. After that interviewer asked me to print a binary tree in level order. I did that. And then I was asked to print the tree in level order but using DFS. Interviewer was nice, was giving a lot of hints whenever I was stuck. Overall, a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult for someone who would be clear on data structures I guess.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Applied online in August 2013 through FB. I finally received an email in January, after an FB employee referral, from a recruiter. We scheduled a phone screen for the following week. I was a bit nervous as this was my first phone interview for a job I really wanted, and I'm sure she could tell. I have over 15 years of Administrative Assistant experience as well as a wide variety of other skills that would be extremely useful to FB. It would have been nice if the recruiter too a bit more time to get personal instead of straight to the point.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your boss asked you to do something out of the ordinary?   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Sent my resumé, had a first round phone interview. 30 minutes, worked through one algorithm. Didn't hear back about another phone interview for 3 weeks, at which point I had already accepted another offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a relatively standard question about BSTs.   Answer Question

Solutions Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter the day after I submitted my resume online. I was as accommodating as possible, finding a quick break between meetings to speak with her about the position. Overall, that conversation went well but I was winding down from a high pressure meeting so I was definitely a bit loquacious. We scheduled a phone interview to follow two days later.

During that time, I talked a bit with my mother about how relocation would affect my ability to help with a recent loss in my immediate family. I emailed the recruiter and scheduler, alerting them I didn't think I'd be able to relocate for some time, and I understood if they wanted to cancel the interview, but I'd hold the time on my calendar until hearing from them.

I received a reply after the interview time, only after mentioning "Glassdoor". So I instead spent the interview time writing this review.

Challenging work is great, being part of innovation is amazing, but as a successful professional with experience in both, I can't emphasize enough how important it is you find somewhere to work that treats people the way you'd hope to be treated in opposite shoes. This is the same way they'll treat you as innovation changes things... who knows...in a more connected/augmented reality based world what relevance a profile would even have?

If I could look back I would apply this same principle to how I made friends, love interests, and how I have chosen jobs. There will always be more money to be made. There will always be smart people to work with. There will always be exciting/innovating things to be part of. But this isn't like surfing waves where you just catch another one...being part of something will change who you are/how you act/who you become.

In short, don't sell your soul to hang out with this year (or decades) cool kids.

Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook.

Two quick discussions with two people. Very casual and informal. No trick questions. It seemed they just wanted to get to know me and see if I was easy to work with. Very easy process.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do your first week on the job.   View Answer
    Flat rate offer.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2012.

Job fair at my school, i went over to the facebook desk and ask few questions to the lady and then they ask if i will like a interview for a graphic design job, i said yes.

Account Manager Interview

Very basic initial phone interview from a recruiter at Facebook. No questions were asked to be thrown off, general background information and resume review. Nothing unexpected. General review of past experience and general knowledge. Nothing even too specific to Facebook or the role in general.

Interview Questions
    • General resume review, nothing in particular unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

Introduced into the whole process via a referral, so I was able to move quickly to an onsite interview. This was easily the best interview experience I've had in a long time - recruiter was friendly and extremely responsive, and each of the interviews was engaged during the interview.

Everything moved very quickly once I indicated that I felt prepared to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly surprising - be prepared to talk through CS fundamentals, large scale design, and code code code.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst- People Analytics Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks.

The recruiter contacted me the day after my resume was internally referred. Set up a call a couple of days later for a short chat (15 mins) about the nature of the job, my general qualifications and backgrounds, and continued interest in the position. I was immediately notified I'd be moved to the next interview, a 45 minute phone interview with the head of the team. The recruiter was very informative about the subject of the call (statistics, statistical methods/concepts) and background of the interviewer. Interview went well.

Fifteen minutes after that interview concluded, the recruiter called me, asked me how I felt it went, and informed me I'd be moving toward a second (45-minute) phone interview. The call was scheduled for the following week and again, I was informed on the subject of the interview (advanced stats, probability, and live syntax for data management) as well as the background of the interviewer (quantitative engineer). The call went well, though I did stumble a little bit over the syntax (I'd just taught myself over the weekend), but not because it was difficult.

A week later I was informed my interviews went generally well, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the next round. My background is in org psychology, and I think they were looking for someone with more engineering/computer programming experience. Overall, very pleasant experience working through the process.

Interview Questions
    • Advanced stats questions regarding HLM. Explain in layman's terms.   Answer Question