Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2014
1,120 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Applied online and got phone interview after that. they asked me only questions at that time and no behavior questions.

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter via Linkedin inmail. I replied back and we scheduled a phone call with the recruiter. The recruiter also sent me a link to the job posting she was trying to staff and a few opencompute.org links.

Few days later we had the phone call. The recruiter asked me some basic technical questions like: What do you look at PCB design review? What is your experience with voltage regulation?... Later in the call the recruiter mentioned she will need my resume and they want me to do Hardware Practical Test. I agreed

I took me a few days to get my resume ready during which I was pinged by the recruiter to make sure I am still in business. I thought it is a good sign and that they want to move fast. After few days I sent the resume and we scheduled the Hardware Practical. The format of the Hardware Piratical is that they send it to you over email and you should reply with a solution within an hour. See the exact monostable circuit question below.

I fully and timely solved the Hardware Practical. I tested my solution in circuit simulator. I documented my solution. I printed it out and verified that it meets the requirements. After sending the solution I have not heard from them for a week. It was surprising as it is probably a question they have sent out many times so they should be able to check it quickly. It is not like the final go hiring decision. In between the recruiter called me and asked me some more questions , how you troubleshoot a signal integrity issue and what interfaces are you familiar with DDR, PCIe, SATA ect....

I always feel awkward when the recruiter is asking me technical questions. Especially open ended ones. Can we really develop technical discussion there or do I need to match some pattern that Facebook Engineer gave to this recruiter?

After a week I got an email that I am not a fit. It was surprising as I am very confident about the Hardware Practical solution. She also did not provide any clue as to why I am not a fit, over qualified? Not relevant experience? Hardware Practical? Something else?

Overall experience is negative. I would expect Facebook to be more open, professional and prompt in their communication with candidates. Also IMHO making the recruiter ask technical question is not the best idea.

Interview Questions
    • Design a circuit with 0V to 3.3V step at the input and negative 1ms pule at the output.
      Input: ___|----- CIRCUIT Output: -----|_____|------

5. Draw,a time,graph,of,all,of,the,nodes,
      in,the,circuit,that,are,switching.
        Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Consisted of an initial phone screen with follow up phone interviews. Facebook reached out to me directly. I was hesitant at first given my previous experience with them but figured i'd try anyway. The first interviewer asked me over a dozen times how many projects i've managed contiguously and whether I was interested in the position. It felt like there was a lot of talking but not a lot of listening. After my first phone screen I had a second interview with a gentleman who kept telling me how fortunate I would be to work at facebook and that they have the best engineers in the bay area. I feel like I asked them more questions than they asked me and they weren't able to provide me with details. Everyone I interviewed with made sure I knew they were on friendly terms with Mark (they call him by first name) and that I would be privileged to work there. the process was a complete turn off. Felt like I was with children.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask me anything difficult, unexpected, or in any way innovative. One interviewer asked me if I owned my own business what would it be which they later used my response to say that I wasn't really interested in the job.   Answer Question

Finance Associate Manager, Global Sales & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Facebook.

Facebook gave me a verbal offer and then took it back.

1. I was initially contacted by an FB recruiter to have a phone interview where we discussed typical experience questions.
    2. I was then brought in-house to interview with the GSM finance team (the hiring manager and direct reports). I enjoyed meeting the team as everyone was friendly and seemed like people I wanted to work with. The questions covered FP&A, experience, and situations.
    3. I then made it to the next and final round which was with two finance directors. The questions were mainly high level (e.g. where do you want to be in five years, what project are you most proud of, etc.).
    4. Several days later, the recruiter called me and told me I got the job! During the call she asked me if I would take the job as we had just gone through weeks of interviews and FB needed someone to take the job. Obviously, I said yes, basically committing myself to FB (I had told the recruiter I had interviews scheduled with other companies, but said I was going to cancel them because I wanted FB). She then proceeded to talk to me about my compensation requirements and asked for two references. Over the next several days she spoke to my references, which the recruiter later told me went well.
    5. I wait several days thinking they are putting the offer together. After not hearing anything I contact the recruiter. She tells me that the hiring manager quit out of the blue and that they won't be able to make me a formal offer because the hiring manager's boss doesn't want me to start without a manager in place. This didn't make sense to me. Why not just have me start and learn from the team until a new manager is in place? Or why not tell me I can start once they hire a new manager? Also, when hiring someone you aren't hiring the person solely for the role but because he/she is good for the company and will add value in the long-term, so why take back a verbal offer and why not just let me start? This was an extremely frustrating experience because I had essentially committed to FB once they made me the verbal offer, but apparently FB didn't commit to me. After getting the verbal offer, I also canceled interviews with other companies, told numerous people (family, friends, coworkers) that I got a new job, and even had a celebratory dinner with my friends.
    6. FB then wasted my time again by letting me interview for another finance role several weeks later, which I knew wasn't a fit with my experience and knew I wasn't going to get. I ultimately never made it past the first round.

This is feedback on Facebook's recruiting and hiring process. If you make a verbal offer, stick to it. FB may think that a verbal offer is not the same as a formal offer obviously, but in my years of experience as long as the candidate has a good reference check, which I did, the high high majority of the time, a verbal offer turns into a formal offer. And at least personally apologize for putting a candidate through this process instead of sending a generic rejection email.

7. To top it off, I recently learned that the FB recruiter that I had been working with used my name to connect with my friend that works at another company to try to get a strong candidate (that had interviewed at FB but ultimately didn't get the role) who was interested in a finance role at my friend's company, a referral for the role. I guess the FB recruiter wanted to help this person out because FB felt bad that they couldn't give this person an offer at FB.

To all reading I just want to let you know that this is what went down for me while recruiting with Facebook.

User Researcher Interview

I did a phone interview with HR person and a small research design assignment - usability testing plan - they gave me 48 hours to finish it and write no more than 1500 words

Interview Questions
    • tell me how would you design and lead a usability test for a product that is going to be launched in 6 month. give me detailed method and user recruitment plan.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

A recruiter contacted me. After confirming that I would like to interview for the position, I was asked basic questions around networking, Linux system administration, and programming. A graduating Computer Science student should expect to pass this with little difficulty.

Next was a phone interview for programming. I was asked to take input text and identify the unique words in the text and how many times each word occurred. Edge cases were important as was the performance. Interviewer asked for an analysis of the run-time and memory usage. Any second-year CS student should have no problem completing this in far less than the allocated time.

Next was a phone interview for systems administration. I was given the bare minimum information possible about a system and told to describe how I discover running services and potential issues. As I progressed, the interviewer gave me information reasonable based on my descriptions and identified when I had correctly discovered a problem or possible problem. In investigating problems, it was important to be specific about why the problem was occurring and how to address the issue. When addressing problems, the performance, scalability, and maintainability of the solution was very important. Be prepared to identify how a file system is mounted or if it's local, and be prepared to encounter a single central share mounted by many servers with active read/write activity from them all. This will be difficult for anyone without good real-world Linux systems administration experience.

Next I was flown out to HQ for a series of on-site interviews. A manager spoke to me to gauge my understanding of Facebook and the Production Engineering position (rely on the job description and don't be afraid to ask your recruiter lots of questions!) and to get to know me.

There's another interview about coding and another one for systems administration. Both are along the same lines as the phone interview, but more in-depth and more difficult.

There's a systems design interview, where you'll be given a target and asked to design a scalable and performant system to accomplish the goal. You may be asked to analyze the storage requirements (core and/or persistent) and network requirements of your system.

The last interview type is a networking interview, which is very in-depth and requires extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP/IP, DNS, etc. Essentially, start at a command prompt and think of what happens when you type "telnet www.facebook.com 80" - be prepared to talk about almost every single network-related thing that happens at all seven OSI layers. Know your packet layouts!

Throughout the entire process, my recruiter was always on top of keeping me informed and always answered questions very quickly (I rarely waited even most of a day for a reply). I rarely needed to ask anything about what to expect because she kept me so well informed. Don't worry too much about thinking at Facebook's scale, they understand that very few people have worked on anything even approaching their size and scale. Everyone you deal with will work hard to make things go as smoothly as it can.

Interview Questions
    • The entire networking interview was very difficult, I was not expecting the amount of in-depth knowledge expected for that interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer
    I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I was contacted by a Facebook recruiter, and offered an interview for a Software Engineer Internship. I had two interviews, both a combination of talking on the phone and coding on collabedit.com. The first interview took place about five days after I was first contacted about the position; the interviewer asked a few questions about projects I'd done and then started with programming questions. The second interview happened a week later, and the interviewer dove straight into coding problems. I was asked general algorithm questions, like get the n-th Fibonacci number, find the square root of a number, find the depth of a binary tree, merge two arrays, etc. Both interviewers saved time at the end for any questions I wanted to ask them.

Interview Questions
    • Display the sorted output of a merge of any number of sorted arrays. Then do it again, more efficiently.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I did not go beyond the first screening interview. Though I did not make it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the interview as the interviewer was interacting and helping me solve the problems and having discussion about the problem

Interview Questions
    • How would u find out the number of cars passing through a busy bridge   Answer Question

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I was initially contacted by a Facebook recruiter via Linkedin. She invited me to a Facebook conference in Chicago, however, it was clear that the point of the conference was to interview potential candidates. We scheduled an initial phone call, which she called in to 10 minutes late. We talked about the event, what my career goals are, if I was willing to relocate, and then she eased in 5 basic iOS questions. I answered enough of the screening questions correctly and we scheduled a 1:1 interview. The recruiter sent me an email full of links to prepare for the interview. She also told me to look on Glassdoor for interview questions. Some of the email links were broken, and only a few of the resources/reviews proved to be very helpful.

I attended the conference, which was just a few hours long, and had a 1:1 interview the next day. The interview was scheduled to be only 45 minutes, and we basically went straight into technical questions. There was only time for 2 questions and they involved writing code in a text editor that had code completion, it wasn't Xcode and was a little awkward to use. The questions were somewhat difficult, and would either require memorization of the Foundation framework or you would have had to have implemented that code recently in a real application to answer correctly. After that, there was a whole 3 minutes for any questions that I had before I was hurried off and the next candidate was processed.

After the interview, I spoke with the recruiter briefly about how it went, and immediately knew there would be some somber news coming. The recruiter scheduled a follow-up and called me back later the next week (15 minutes late) to give me the feedback from the interviewer. The feedback was not constructive, or helpful in any way. In fact, it didn't seem like any thought was put into it at all. I would even say it was on the border of disrespectful, but you can probably get away with that when you are young, important, and working for Facebook. The feedback could have been "buzz off" and I would have taken it equally as well.

Interview Questions
    • How could you cancel a block in the operation queue after it has been dispatched?   View Answer
    • How would you copy a custom object like a "Node" from a search tree in Objective C?   View Answers (2)