Facebook

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Project Manager Interview

Technical Project Manager
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial contact and screening took place over Facebook messenger. It was a little odd, being the first interview I'd ever had over a chat system. But it at least got me in the door. There was another phone screen after that with a member of the team, then they brought me onsite. I met with 5 people and it lasted most of the day. Some were good solid interviews with real people who liked to have a conversation and get real information. Some were very cold interviews literally read off a script right in front of me without making any eye contact. I was surprised at the range of interviewing skills and styles.

In the end, I was not offered the job. However, I was never actually told "no". I was only told "we're meeting later this week to discuss" or "there are a few more candidates to get through before we make a decision" and "just wait one more week and we'll have more information." They eventually just stopped answering my emails for a status. I got the hint, and probably for the best.

Interview Question – Describe how the website works. (That's the whole question, with no context.)   View Answer

Quantitative Analyst- People Analytics Interview

Quantitative Analyst- People Analytics

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks.

The recruiter contacted me the day after my resume was internally referred. Set up a call a couple of days later for a short chat (15 mins) about the nature of the job, my general qualifications and backgrounds, and continued interest in the position. I was immediately notified I'd be moved to the next interview, a 45 minute phone interview with the head of the team. The recruiter was very informative about the subject of the call (statistics, statistical methods/concepts) and background of the interviewer. Interview went well.

Fifteen minutes after that interview concluded, the recruiter called me, asked me how I felt it went, and informed me I'd be moving toward a second (45-minute) phone interview. The call was scheduled for the following week and again, I was informed on the subject of the interview (advanced stats, probability, and live syntax for data management) as well as the background of the interviewer (quantitative engineer). The call went well, though I did stumble a little bit over the syntax (I'd just taught myself over the weekend), but not because it was difficult.

A week later I was informed my interviews went generally well, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the next round. My background is in org psychology, and I think they were looking for someone with more engineering/computer programming experience. Overall, very pleasant experience working through the process.

Interview Question – Advanced stats questions regarding HLM. Explain in layman's terms.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter was excellent and quickly scheduled the first interview, but the manager seemed too busy and unprepared for the interview. When asked about development processes, make sure you show how flexible you are. They aren't looking for candidates who follow a strict SDLC; they want someone who can deal with less structure.

Interview Question – Tell me about the N-1 problem with ORMs.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got contacted for a Embedded Software Engineer position. I am a low level developer. The interviewer was a research scientist. Our backgrounds were poles apart. He did not have a clue about the position I was interviewing for. At the end both were wondering why he was asked to conduct the interview.

Interview Question – Sink Zero in Binary Tree.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – After passing my phone interview with the recruiter, I went in for my second interview with 3 of the staff. I was given the names of all three interviewers and expected to see them all at my interview. Apparently something had come up and one interviewer was replaced with someone that wasn't originally indicated in my email. The first two interviews went really well and was very comfortable. It was a nice easy conversation interview where they asked me situational questions and I replied with my job experience or what I would do in such a situation. Both interviewers seemed quite satisfied with my answers and kept praising me at how well I answered the questions. It wasn't until the last interviewer came in that completely changed the mood of the interview. First off, she was late. Second, she didn't introduce her self and just slammed all her personal belongings on the conference room table. Third, she barked instructions at me like rapid gun fire and when I asked her to repeat her question, she looked at me like I was inferior to her. While I worked on the task she gave me, she paid no attention to my work and stared at her phone. When she believed too much time had passed, she said, "Okay, do you have any questions for me?" It was then that I decided to ask her how she came to Facebook, how she balanced her personal/work life, and if there was anything she could tell me about the position. She looked as if she didn't have the time of day to spend some time to get to know me or how I worked.

The whole experience was lovely over all, seeing the nice people, even through the hustle bustle of FACEBOOK. That last interviewer really caught me off guard and quite possibly could have been the reason I didn't get offered to come back for a final interview. My recruiter said that he'd keep me in the system and contact me if anything came up that I would qualify for. He stated that because I didn't have as much experience working with engineers that it could have hurt my chances. Unfortunately, they didn't feel like I had the capacity to work with engineers and learn.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – My first, and second-round interviews were at HQ. Facebook has three types of interviews: Product Sense, Product Execution, and Leadership.

My first round interview I met with two people, one for Product Sense, and one for Product Execution.

My second round interview I met with three people, one for each category. Yes, Product Sense, and Product Execution interviews are done twice.

Product Sense: this interview revolves around questions like "What would you build?" "Suppose we wanted to improve the photos experience." The interviews are trying to get at your sense from product.

Product Execution: here, questions like "Newsfeed engagement has decreased 2% week-over-week. why?" or "You're sitting with a data analyst, and you know there's a mobile problem in our new release. What would you ask him?"

Leadership: here the FB team is trying to figure out if you're inspiring, if you work well with others--it's a behavioral interview. Be expected to answer questions such as "Tell me about a time when you experienced a challenge building a product. What did you do?" or "What's your biggest accomplishment?"

Interview Question – I don't think there are any very difficult questions. You should always ask clarifying questions if something is not clear. I had to ask many clarifying questions.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

User Experience Researcher

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – It was a long interview process, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless. The first involved a phone call with a recruiter, she was incredibly friendly and referred me to the next call to talk about my work. The second call I was a bit nervous, but as soon as I spoke to the designer on the phone I immediately calmed down and he made the process feel very easy, like I was talking to a friend. Be sure to know all possible answers to questions about your designs. The next call was about critiquing a popular app so be prepared to analyze and answer questions about that! All in all it was a good process, I didn't get hired but I will be open to trying again in the future!

Interview Question – Critique a popular app   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – FB is very efficient in hiring. The HR first sent some regular questions for me to answer, including the time to start working and so on, and then arranged the phone interview directly. On the same day of my phone interview, she arranged for onsite interviews. I was impressed with how efficient they are.

Interview Question – The interview questions were not extremely difficult, but I can tell they want people who understand the most basic concepts really well and can code clean and bug-free at once or after a little bit hints. The design questions were challenging though. Be prepared for that.
The interview questions include two sum, reverse integer, edit distance, clone graph, etc.
  Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me.
First telephonic interview was 45 mins and a single coding question.
All interviewers were good except one of the interviewer who asked about system design question (he was rude and wanted to show off).
1) Behavior - prepare for difficult bug etc. questions. What u want to do at Facebook.
2) Lunch
3) System design - give more importance to these type of questions. Asked me about design a system to run a command on all the servers (say 1 million) within the same network from one of the server on the network.
4) Coding - Given a NxN matrix with values X and O where X represent land and O represent water find the number of islands. Two consecutive X X (horizontal or vertical) will be part of single island while diagonal X X are not. (Solve using graph - DFS or BFS)
5) Coding - from list of strings, generate list of list of strings which are anagrams of each other.

I did really well, but I guess not good compared to other candidates.

Overall interview was easy if you have prepared for Algos and Data Structures. Please give more attention to
1) Writing perfect code on white board.
2) System design questions

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. System design was tricky.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook in April 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me. After a few days of back and forth we set up a phone interview. In the phone interview we discussed a possible problem that involved trees. I struggled to implement the necessary algorithm.

Eventually, I got to ask a couple of questions about facebook.

Received a decline a couple weeks later.