Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015
1,638 Interview Reviews

3.2

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

This whole process was a comedy of errors. I began by corresponding with a current member of the UX Research team (who was a professional contact only) to discuss qualifications and fit prior to submitting my resume. I submitted my resume with this person's enthusiastic endorsement. I was subsequently rejected by a recruiter under the pretense that I had "no relevant experience", only to be contacted again by my original employee contact a month or so later to tell me that there had been a mistake and that another specific recruiter who specialized in UX hiring would be reviewing my resume and reaching out to me to set up interviews ASAP. Within a week I was contacted by a totally different recruiter at a totally different location, who specialized in hiring software engineers and did not do any hiring at all for UX. My original employee contact made some inquiries, but could not figure out what had gone wrong. I spoke to the new recruiter on the phone and she was also unsure why she had ended up with my application, but promised to forward my info back to the correct UX recruiter and email me again within the week to let me know it had been done. I never heard from anyone at Facebook again, even after reaching out to both recruiters and UX Research team members. The hiring process for software people seems highly streamlined at Facebook. For anyone else...not so much.

Interview Questions

• What is your timeline like, and are you flexible about the possibility of relocating?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY).

Interview

30 minute phone interview with questions regarding SMB. Was asked a bunch of questions from a manager in the specific office about why I wanted it and how I could drive impact through the company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, given a very professional screening phone call. Attended two full day interview sessions with the teams. The office is lovely and the team was bright and talented. However, the commute from Marin County made accepting the position not possible.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Was recommended through internal system. They were very prompt about responding to this and flexible when I asked to move it earlier to accommodate another offer. Phone interview was poor. Interviewer clearly did not each to be there. They didn't bother to turn off notifications on computer, or even mute them. Email specifically stated coding questions would go through website x. Interviewer disagreed, they wanted to use website y. This would have been fine, but I spent half an hour familiarizing myself with x. Y was also clunky, and froze when they were copied my code. Interviewer asked me to start a session and supply her with url. I struggled with the question, and she made things worse. At the end, she said, time's up and hung up within thirty seconds.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, print it out using only putc. You cannot use any other print statements, arrays, or cast the integer to a string or character array.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Facebook in June 2015.

Interview

Contacted by HR via LinkedIn. Went through phone coding screening, will be going for onsite. The phone interviewer was nice, the question EAS not difficult and it took some t8me to complete. Onky one question was asked, and we had enough time left to discuss aspects of ongoing project that he is working.

Interview Questions

• My technical background.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of positive integers and a target integer, find if there is a consecutive subarray that sums to the target. E.g, given {5,6,4,12}, findsum(10)=true, findsum(11)=false.   6 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me. The recruiting process is very pleasant and considerate. They even have an interview prep session that the author of cc150 gave presentation about how to ace the interview, which is very helpful. Passed the first onsite screen and moving to next step so below questions may not be applicable.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by school mate and got the phone interview. Failed in the first round interview. No questions on resume. Just two coding questions. First one is easy. I just said minHeap solution, then the recruiter directly said next. I was stuck at the second problem and that is the reason why I failed.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given 1 billion numbers, find 100 largest numbers 2. Prefix notation +*123 = 5   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in July 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews and each takes 45 mins. I answered each smoothly and near perfectly. All bug-free code. But they still reject me without giving any reason or feedback.

Interview Questions

• Read number, e.g. 100 -> one hundred, 113 -> one hundred thirteen Stock Search in rotated sorted array Sort Color   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I've applied through an employee referral and got a ping from the recruiter in about a week. After the initial chat with the recruiter to chat about FB, my interests and logistics, I got scheduled for the initial 45-minute screening. I was given two options for the screen, either phone/codeshare or an onsite visit (likely an option available for local candidates only). I chose the in-person option, and got an invite for a round of full day (5 total) within few hours after the initial screen. Facebook recruiters send interview prep materials to the candidates on what to expect, what to brush up on, as well as some suggestions tailored to a particular candidate's weak-ish spots (in my case it was the speed of coding). I knew what to expect going in and felt well prepared on this front. Initial screen was algorithm + coding. Nothing overly challenging. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews (+ informal lunch) covering: 1) One "Jedi" interview with a hiring manager testing behavior / culture fit + warm-up coding. Prepare to talk about past experience, career goals, as well as several "tell me about the time when..." questions. 2) One "Pirate" interview: System design portion of the interview. There are great resources on Quora on suggestions on how to prepare and what to pay attention too. 3) Three "Ninja" interviews focusing on algorithm + coding. I actually have seen all of the questions I got asked at Facebook before, but that did not help me as ultimately the reason for rejection was cited as not being able to come up with optimal solutions and code fast enough. Got an phone call from the recruiter in about a week+few days after the interview telling me the unfortunate news. I think I had to wait few extra days because of the July holidays and typically the process is faster. Culture: I did find some of the junior Facebook engineers conducting my interview a bit arrogant and cocky, but nothing too alarming. All in all, I had a positive interview experience. I wish the interview loop was better tailored towards someone more senior, e.g. less emphasis on coding, more on design. Current interview process makes it seem they hire code monkeys.

Interview Questions

• I can't discuss specifics due to NDA, but interview questions were neither overly difficult nor tricky. Check careercup and brush up on algorithms (string processing, binary trees, graphs, etc.). Practice coding fast (which potentially means forgetting good software engineering practices such as class design, refactoring as it will only slow you down). Establish rapport with your interviewer, remember to ask clarifying questions, talk through your thinking process and solutions and you'll do well. Hopefully better than me:) Best of luck!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Such a stellar, stellar process. I was floored by how efficient and enjoyable every step was. I applied through an employee referral after meeting several employees at a conference. Because of NDA, I will remain pretty vague here--but several months later, they began looking for fall interns and a university recruiter contacted me saying she had received my CV through an earlier referral. A week later, we had a 40-minute phone interview (essentially a prescreening on what you're looking for, what experience you'd like to have, why Facebook, and most particularly what your research entails). Three days later, I found out I'd moved on to the next stage. Two weeks later, I had a 50-minute Skype interview that was based on behavioral questions, more about my research, and a few curveball questions that make you think much more deeply about research and methodology. I found out that day that I'd moved on to the last stage. Two weeks after that, Facebook flew me out for an on-site interview. Keeping this as vague as possible, I will say that they were so incredibly gracious and did so much to make sure I had a good experience (it would be hard not to!). Everyone I met was awesome, the campus is fantastic, and everything was incredibly efficient. Expect a presentation on a surprise prompt (you have three days to prepare) and one-on-one interviews. When I left, I realized that even if I didn't get this, just the experience of that single day made everything worth it. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• NDA, but prepare for basic behavioral questions. For most, there is no right or wrong answer...they just want to see how you think, so as long as you're transparent with how you arrive at your conclusions, it opens the door for interesting conversation. My interviewers were awesome, and that seems to be a pretty normal aspect of Facebook employees. If you go on site, make sure to visit the Facebook store on the main campus (not the new one) and pick up an $11 t-shirt. (:   Answer Question