Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
1,137 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

One of my friends refers me. Then, I appeared one screening interviews.
    Interviews with algorithm, data structure.
    No behaviour question.
    No additional question, just coding.
    After coding, will ask you how to improve the performance, or do you have another way to implement it.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Had three phone interviews. The first was with the HR recruiter. The second was with a product designer and we discussed my work. The third was with another product designer and we critiqued an app / service.

Interview Questions
    • Critiquing an unknown app / service during the third interview.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Was submitted as an employee referral, so this may have been quicker than some other folks' experience; first talk with a recruiter to offer was about 10 days. The recruiting team was very on the ball, also.

Had one talk with a recruiter about my background, a technical phone screen (as with many companies, writing actual code over a shared-document web page), and a half day on site of in-person interviews. Interviews on site were 3 technical sessions (two coding, one design), a deep discussion of my experience and work style with a manager, and a social lunch (which one should assume is also a "fit" interview although no company I've visited called it that.)

Interviewers were down to earth rather than with the attitude I'd expect of some of the large "hot" companies; the two coding problems involved fairly standard (if potentially fiddly) string or graph manipulations -- one required recursion (or a fairly complicated stack structure) while the other was easier iteratively, and I was asked to re-implement it using recursion in remaining time. As with pretty well everywhere, expect to also give a big-O estimate of the run time, and find some failure cases (or at least explain where you're already handling it.)

The design interview question was tailored to some specialized work I've done and the particular is probably not representative of most groups; as I understand it, everyone gets some level of design interview and it's usually roughly some form of "how would you build this part of an app like ours for our scale."

Got my offer a few days after interviewing. Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the design problem; the most difficult was one of the technical questions which was to implement a subset of regular expression.   Answer Question
    I presented another offer I had on the table, and they beat it sufficiently definitively and sufficiently quickly that accepted immediately... I should have countered at least once. Good offer, very competitive, but I still feel like I soft-balled them.

Front End Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Recruiter reached out after applying online. A coding challenge, followed by a screen, and then on on site all day. All questions asked were totally reasonable and focused on my background/experience. No "why are man holes round questions". My interviewers were great at asking questions and holding an engaging conversation.

Interview Questions
    • They were more interested in my background than most interviews I've experienced.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Applied online, recruiter reached out to me and set up a phone interview. The interviewer over the phone was slightly ambiguous and lead me in the wrong directions. However, I think the goal was to really analyze your thinking process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Straight out of cracking the coding interview.
      Reverse a doubly linked list
        Answer Question

Finance Associate Manager, Global Sales & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Facebook gave me a verbal offer and then took it back.

1. I was initially contacted by an FB recruiter to have a phone interview where we discussed typical experience questions.
    2. I was then brought in-house to interview with the GSM finance team (the hiring manager and direct reports). I enjoyed meeting the team as everyone was friendly and seemed like people I wanted to work with. The questions covered FP&A, experience, and situations.
    3. I then made it to the next and final round which was with two finance directors. The questions were mainly high level (e.g. where do you want to be in five years, what project are you most proud of, etc.).
    4. Several days later, the recruiter called me and told me I got the job! During the call she asked me if I would take the job as we had just gone through weeks of interviews and FB needed someone to take the job. Obviously, I said yes, basically committing myself to FB (I had told the recruiter I had interviews scheduled with other companies, but said I was going to cancel them because I wanted FB). She then proceeded to talk to me about my compensation requirements and asked for two references. Over the next several days she spoke to my references, which the recruiter later told me went well.
    5. I wait several days thinking they are putting the offer together. After not hearing anything I contact the recruiter. She tells me that the hiring manager quit out of the blue and that they won't be able to make me a formal offer because the hiring manager's boss doesn't want me to start without a manager in place. This didn't make sense to me. Why not just have me start and learn from the team until a new manager is in place? Or why not tell me I can start once they hire a new manager? Also, when hiring someone you aren't hiring the person solely for the role but because he/she is good for the company and will add value in the long-term, so why take back a verbal offer and why not just let me start? This was an extremely frustrating experience because I had essentially committed to FB once they made me the verbal offer, but apparently FB didn't commit to me. After getting the verbal offer, I also canceled interviews with other companies, told numerous people (family, friends, coworkers) that I got a new job, and even had a celebratory dinner with my friends.
    6. FB then wasted my time again by letting me interview for another finance role several weeks later, which I knew wasn't a fit with my experience and knew I wasn't going to get. I ultimately never made it past the first round.

This is feedback on Facebook's recruiting and hiring process. If you make a verbal offer, stick to it. FB may think that a verbal offer is not the same as a formal offer obviously, but in my years of experience as long as the candidate has a good reference check, which I did, the high high majority of the time, a verbal offer turns into a formal offer. And at least personally apologize for putting a candidate through this process instead of sending a generic rejection email.

7. To top it off, I recently learned that the FB recruiter that I had been working with used my name to connect with my friend that works at another company to try to get a strong candidate (that had interviewed at FB but ultimately didn't get the role) who was interested in a finance role at my friend's company, a referral for the role. I guess the FB recruiter wanted to help this person out because FB felt bad that they couldn't give this person an offer at FB.

To all reading I just want to let you know that this is what went down for me while recruiting with Facebook.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. He set up a call with the relevant FB department.I was not looking actively for a job, so was little under prepared. The interviewer was nice and came across as a knowledgeable hands-on person. Provided a shared hackpad to do the white boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • Was not expecting a simple heap search algorithm implementation.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter via Linkedin inmail. I replied back and we scheduled a phone call with the recruiter. The recruiter also sent me a link to the job posting she was trying to staff and a few opencompute.org links.

Few days later we had the phone call. The recruiter asked me some basic technical questions like: What do you look at PCB design review? What is your experience with voltage regulation?... Later in the call the recruiter mentioned she will need my resume and they want me to do Hardware Practical Test. I agreed

I took me a few days to get my resume ready during which I was pinged by the recruiter to make sure I am still in business. I thought it is a good sign and that they want to move fast. After few days I sent the resume and we scheduled the Hardware Practical. The format of the Hardware Piratical is that they send it to you over email and you should reply with a solution within an hour. See the exact monostable circuit question below.

I fully and timely solved the Hardware Practical. I tested my solution in circuit simulator. I documented my solution. I printed it out and verified that it meets the requirements. After sending the solution I have not heard from them for a week. It was surprising as it is probably a question they have sent out many times so they should be able to check it quickly. It is not like the final go hiring decision. In between the recruiter called me and asked me some more questions , how you troubleshoot a signal integrity issue and what interfaces are you familiar with DDR, PCIe, SATA ect....

I always feel awkward when the recruiter is asking me technical questions. Especially open ended ones. Can we really develop technical discussion there or do I need to match some pattern that Facebook Engineer gave to this recruiter?

After a week I got an email that I am not a fit. It was surprising as I am very confident about the Hardware Practical solution. She also did not provide any clue as to why I am not a fit, over qualified? Not relevant experience? Hardware Practical? Something else?

Overall experience is negative. I would expect Facebook to be more open, professional and prompt in their communication with candidates. Also IMHO making the recruiter ask technical question is not the best idea.

Interview Questions
    • Design a circuit with 0V to 3.3V step at the input and negative 1ms pule at the output.
      Input: ___|----- CIRCUIT Output: -----|_____|------

5. Draw,a time,graph,of,all,of,the,nodes,
      in,the,circuit,that,are,switching.
        Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Applied online and got phone interview after that. they asked me only questions at that time and no behavior questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Got interview through recruiter.
    Had a phone screening soon after, and then was told that I was being considered for an initial technical phone interview.
    Question: Something about 2D arrays.

I felt like I was a bit slow, although I did finish the interview with about 20 minutes left over. (Was originally given 45 minutes)

Interview Questions
    • Not really anything. The question was pretty easy, I think I just answered it badly.   Answer Question