Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015
1,600 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in July 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews and each takes 45 mins. I answered each smoothly and near perfectly. All bug-free code. But they still reject me without giving any reason or feedback.

Interview Questions

• Read number, e.g. 100 -> one hundred, 113 -> one hundred thirteen Stock Search in rotated sorted array Sort Color   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Such a stellar, stellar process. I was floored by how efficient and enjoyable every step was. I applied through an employee referral after meeting several employees at a conference. Because of NDA, I will remain pretty vague here--but several months later, they began looking for fall interns and a university recruiter contacted me saying she had received my CV through an earlier referral. A week later, we had a 40-minute phone interview (essentially a prescreening on what you're looking for, what experience you'd like to have, why Facebook, and most particularly what your research entails). Three days later, I found out I'd moved on to the next stage. Two weeks later, I had a 50-minute Skype interview that was based on behavioral questions, more about my research, and a few curveball questions that make you think much more deeply about research and methodology. I found out that day that I'd moved on to the last stage. Two weeks after that, Facebook flew me out for an on-site interview. Keeping this as vague as possible, I will say that they were so incredibly gracious and did so much to make sure I had a good experience (it would be hard not to!). Everyone I met was awesome, the campus is fantastic, and everything was incredibly efficient. Expect a presentation on a surprise prompt (you have three days to prepare) and one-on-one interviews. When I left, I realized that even if I didn't get this, just the experience of that single day made everything worth it. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• NDA, but prepare for basic behavioral questions. For most, there is no right or wrong answer...they just want to see how you think, so as long as you're transparent with how you arrive at your conclusions, it opens the door for interesting conversation. My interviewers were awesome, and that seems to be a pretty normal aspect of Facebook employees. If you go on site, make sure to visit the Facebook store on the main campus (not the new one) and pick up an $11 t-shirt. (:   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by school mate and got the phone interview. Failed in the first round interview. No questions on resume. Just two coding questions. First one is easy. I just said minHeap solution, then the recruiter directly said next. I was stuck at the second problem and that is the reason why I failed.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given 1 billion numbers, find 100 largest numbers 2. Prefix notation +*123 = 5   4 Answers

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Process moved fairly quick; 1 week or so. Recruiter reached out via email and we set up a call interview to discuss the role and my background within a couple of days. I was then referred to the hiring manager. The conversation with the hiring manager was great; simple questions about experience. However, I never heard back from the recruiter on status updates. I had to follow up a couple of times via email. I finally heard back, and they decided to move forward with another candidate. FB appears to be growing a lot, thus many more roles within HR opened up. I reached out the recruiter via email to discuss potential roles. I was over-qualified for some and others I had the sufficient experience. I never heard back. After a week or so, recruiter responded stating that they are moving forward with other candidates. I recently had interest for another role, and I received feedback that according to the same recruiter, they had an internal fit for it. This was an interesting experience, and it is unfortunate that the recruiter did not take the proper time to explore a potential candidate with professional, valuable conversations. A simple conversation to better understand their needs and how my background would fit, would have made sense. At times, I wonder if these recruiters should be required to have more experience, given the excellent pool of candidates out in Silicon Valley?! You just never know who you may be putting to the side. It appears as if the process is put at a "stop" based on the recruiters bias towards a candidate they have never met before or never personally worked with. It is a loss for FB if the candidate could have been one to make a huge positive impact (who would know?) I was left with a sour taste of their culture, and that is unfortunate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

In-house screening: very nice offices, very nice interviewer. Asked a question, then asked to optimize the solution. I was able to ask questions about Facebook culture and work. They gave a tour in the office which looks very good.

Interview Questions

• NDA, standard question to code on a whiteboard + questions about current projects.   Answer Question

Quantitative User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I first had a brief screen with a recruiter. After that, I had two separate video interviews with user experience researchers. After passing these, I was scheduled for an onsite interview. They sent me an exercise 3 days in advance of the interview. I was told to prepare a 30 min presentation on the exercise. This was presented first thing during the onsite interview, to 4 people from the team. I then interviewed with each of those team members. The process was quick - I got responses the next day for almost all interviews. The recruiters were great and helpful, and the researchers were very nice, interesting, and fun to talk to. Unfortunately I did not make the cut.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see Facebook in 5 years from now? Give an example of when you showed entrepreneurial spirit. Pick a user experience problem on Facebook that is relevant to FB's mission and propose a research plan.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I've applied through an employee referral and got a ping from the recruiter in about a week. After the initial chat with the recruiter to chat about FB, my interests and logistics, I got scheduled for the initial 45-minute screening. I was given two options for the screen, either phone/codeshare or an onsite visit (likely an option available for local candidates only). I chose the in-person option, and got an invite for a round of full day (5 total) within few hours after the initial screen. Facebook recruiters send interview prep materials to the candidates on what to expect, what to brush up on, as well as some suggestions tailored to a particular candidate's weak-ish spots (in my case it was the speed of coding). I knew what to expect going in and felt well prepared on this front. Initial screen was algorithm + coding. Nothing overly challenging. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews (+ informal lunch) covering: 1) One "Jedi" interview with a hiring manager testing behavior / culture fit + warm-up coding. Prepare to talk about past experience, career goals, as well as several "tell me about the time when..." questions. 2) One "Pirate" interview: System design portion of the interview. There are great resources on Quora on suggestions on how to prepare and what to pay attention too. 3) Three "Ninja" interviews focusing on algorithm + coding. I actually have seen all of the questions I got asked at Facebook before, but that did not help me as ultimately the reason for rejection was cited as not being able to come up with optimal solutions and code fast enough. Got an phone call from the recruiter in about a week+few days after the interview telling me the unfortunate news. I think I had to wait few extra days because of the July holidays and typically the process is faster. Culture: I did find some of the junior Facebook engineers conducting my interview a bit arrogant and cocky, but nothing too alarming. All in all, I had a positive interview experience. I wish the interview loop was better tailored towards someone more senior, e.g. less emphasis on coding, more on design. Current interview process makes it seem they hire code monkeys.

Interview Questions

• I can't discuss specifics due to NDA, but interview questions were neither overly difficult nor tricky. Check careercup and brush up on algorithms (string processing, binary trees, graphs, etc.). Practice coding fast (which potentially means forgetting good software engineering practices such as class design, refactoring as it will only slow you down). Establish rapport with your interviewer, remember to ask clarifying questions, talk through your thinking process and solutions and you'll do well. Hopefully better than me:) Best of luck!   Answer Question

Partner Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter after 3 months of applying online. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager asking about my background and describing the role. Had another programming phone interview focusing on solving a problem on sending large data to customer in minimum latency and handling errors. Recruiter scheduled an onsite interview. Interview consisted of 4 rounds. 1) Architecture problem. 2) Interview with department head 3) Coding exercise 4) Team fit 5) Hiring manager interview. All in all a good experience. Still waiting to hear back.

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

The interview was pretty easy. They ask for pretty simple problems. Sometimes some interviewers don't know what they want themselves, but generally everyone is polite. Phone screen - talk Phone screen - programming On-site interview - 5 interviews each with 1-2 problems and android questions I solved all the problems, but didn't get

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen 45 min duration in total, the interviewer said a little bit about himself and went straight to a technical question. No background questions. The interview process went as expected, no surprises. The interviewer seemed to be a nice guy.

Interview Questions

• Given a sequence of numbers (34128) and an input map such as a dial pad on a phone (2->[a,b,c], 3->[d,e,f], 4->[g,h,i]) write an algorithm to return all possible words from the sequence. E.g. Input: 232 Output: [ada, adb, adc, aea, aeb, aec, afa, afb, afc, bda, bdb, bdc, bea, beb, bec, bfa, bfb, bfc, cda, cdb, cdc, cea, ceb, cec, cfa, cfb, cfc]   9 Answers