Facebook

Updated Jan 22, 2015
1,280 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Got back to hear within a day of onsite interview. They flew me to Menlo Park. The interviewer was late to the interview and was unprepared. He asked me a linked list question (reverse a linked list) and then he asked me to print out level order tree.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Reached out to by recruiter, had phone chat with her. She set up two technical phone screens, followed by 4 technical onsite interviews. Had a chance to talk to some really experienced engineers and everyone was really friendly during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions
      - Print all paths in a binary tree
      - Function to find the square root of a number
      - Pretty print JSON object
      - How would you design home feed?
      - Simple regex matcher

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

applied through an employee referral.
    didn't hear from the HR for months until the referral asked again.
    contacted by HR for phone screening. went through resume and asked about previous experience, projects worked on, desired position, etc.

Then a phone interview. An employee called, chatted a little bit, and then went to technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • business sense:
      There are two types of cars A and B. The number of people in US who use A
      and B are the same. They drive the same distances each month.
      Now there are two new technologies, X and Y (of equal cost).
      If apply X, mpg of A would increase from 50 mpg to 75 mpg;
      If apply Y, mpg of B would increase from 10 mpg to 11 mpg.

The goal is to decrease the dependence on foreign oil, or to decrease the
      consumption of gasoline.

Question: which technology would you apply?
      Follow up question: after applying the technology of your choice, assume
      there's money available for research on new technology, which car would you
      choose to conduct research on?

• data question:
      dialoglog
      (userid int
      appid int
      type char , a flag either "imp" or "click"
      ds timestamp

How would you access the quality of app?
      How to compute click-through rate (in mySQL)?

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Facebook.

Applied through an employee referral.

Failed on a phone screening. The interviewer spoke extremely fast. In addition, there was a strong reverberation (looks like she spoke in a big room) on a line. As a result, I mostly guessed her questions. Even when I asked to repeat a question a few times she didn't change anything in her speech. I've had phone interviews before and they were good enough. But this one was a hell.

Besides a few usual questions about previous experience and a reason for changing a job, there were only 2 technical questions, both about complexity of algorithms (O-notations), i.e. quite useless, in other words. I think I answered them correctly (Anyway it makes no sense to remember them).

It took about 20 minutes. Overall, it was terrible experience. The worst thing, I failed it not due to lack of some technical skills but just because of communication issues. I have a lot of Java experience (they had open positions for that) and some other modern tools and technologies, as well as I'm opened for learning new technologies. But, unfortunately, I haven't had any chance to demonstrate it on any technical phone interviews.
    Never again.

Interview Questions
    • Had no chance for such question. Only useless questions about complexity of algorithms (every developer understands when data structure A is faster than B for insert / or delete / or search).   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Software Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

It is a phone interview, and interviewer first asked me some questions regarding to my resume, and then did a coding problem. The coding question is similar with 3sum on leetcode, but with some additional requirements, like every elements can be picked up for several times, and only need to output one result.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are not difficult, but I did not write the bug-free code.   Answer Question

Product Manager(RPM) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

University Recruiting for rotational product manager position. Went through 2 phone interviews and then a final round. Was asked questions about product sense, leadership, and metrics. Interviewed with PMs from various facebook teams. No programming questions as they look at both business and computer science backgrounds.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. Recruiter tells you the structure of interview questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I applied online and heard back the next day. They gave me study material and resources to prepare for a phone interview.

The phone interview is tough. The level of difficulty is not bad but the pressure of being on the phone and having to code in a short period of time may cloud your mind.

Interview Questions
    • I received two questions. The first was print out all possible strings that a phone number can produce. For instance: 2 -> A,B,C and 3 -> D,E,F. So if the input is 23, then the output should be "AD, AE, AF, BD, etc.."
      The second question was if you had multiple points (x,y), find the n closest points to the origin (0,0).

View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter. The entire process was efficient and quick. After the initial phone call with the recruiter, I received an email with details about interview process and how to prepare for technical interview in general, which I think it was pretty nice. I was scheduled for the phone interview one week after. The phone interview includes behavior questions and online coding and it took about 45 minutes. It started with typical introduction and then I was asked to talk about one of the works/projects listed on my resume and why I would pick to talk about that particular one. The interviewer didn't seem to impress about the project I picked to talk about. There were a couple of behavior questions (i.e. conflict resolution etc). Then the longest part of the phone interview was a coding question. You can pick any language you'd like, which is a plus. The coding question was not difficult, but clearly not an easy one, requires some thoughts. Be prepared to provide test cases. I had it working but not covering many edge cases. At the end, you can ask the interviewer any question, which I did. It sounded like the interviewer didn't seem to be excited about the current work, but kind enough to give me details about the challenging parts and current interesting problems the interviewer has been working on. I heard back the interview result from the recruiter exactly one week after.

Interview Questions
    • String manipulation: Giving a string input, containing comments, implement a method to output the given string excluding the comments.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Firstly, I applied for FB position online and then an HR contacted me to appoint a time to chat.
    The chat with HR including:
    1. What the basic interview process.
    2. What the basic hiring process if get offer
    3. Free chat to understand my background

Then one day later I received mail to determine a skype screen date.
    The interview through skype
    1. firstly self introduction and ice breaker.
    2. 2 coding execises
    The execises is similar with that in leetcode that of easy/medium level

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty is to be calm down and devote yourself to think about the questions. Don't try to recall some problems that you've resolved, it may waste your time.   Answer Question