Facebook

Getting the Interview

1,003 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then on site. In the phone interview, they ask me to solve the 3 sum problem (check leetcode) and the bucket anagram problem. In the on site interview, 3 interviewers ask me three algorithm problems and also the behavior problems. Then there's a brief tour to the campus.

Interview Question – On site interview, they ask me regular expression match (check leetcode) and search for range (like, 1,2 3, 7,7,7, 9, 9, return how many 7's in the array) and also knowledge about the garbage collection, linked list, reverse linked list.   View Answer

Product Designer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter then screened by him for 45 minutes. After that 2 other 45 minute phone calls, one reviewing a popular app the other going over my work. I was then asked to fly out to Menlo Park and spend a day at FB HQ where I first presented my work to the group that would then individually interview me for about 45 minutes each.

Everyone was extremely friendly and insightful. I actually had a great time talking design with everyone involved, it was like chatting design with close friends. They were very prepared and helped me be myself the whole time through. I would suggest to get tons of rest the night before, excitement can get exhausting towards the end.

Interview Question – They will ask you to design a very simple thing. Be prepared to innovate on the spot.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter is your bff.

Equity Programs Analyst Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through the website, was contacted by recruiter. Set-up initial 15-min call to discuss position (she called 15 minutes late but was at least nice about it). Then talked with another HR person prior to scheduling on-site interview. 3-hour interview with 6 different people (three team members, hiring manager, one HR, one payroll). Since job was more corporate the questions were of no surprise; was basically a typical interview asking about challenges, overcoming problems, strengths, why I wanted the job, and giving me an idea of the Facebook culture. 3 hours was a bit long and since it was 10 AM - 1 PM, it breezed right through lunch. I would have liked to try out the cafeteria however I was just offered a few snacks prior to leaving. Some of the interviewers probably could have tag-teamed instead of doing all 1-on-1 because it was a tiny bit repetitious by the end, but overall fine.

Interview Question – Your typical corporate interview assessing strengths, weaknesses, company fit.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Interview Details – Facebook recruiters approached me at a conference. Interview followed shortly thereafter; all interviewers had looked at my resume and were ready to ask me questions about my grad work, something that I didn't see in a lot of places. They even put me on the phone with their VP of data infrastructure, which was something that I wouldn't really expect from a company their size. Overall, a great process.

Interview Question – I got some fairly detailed questioning on my research, which was something I didn't really expect for a technical interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I found a position at a startup, and the opportunity cost of turning the startup down for a more established company was too high.

Product Manager Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiters were very good, personable and open and honest and felt like they were on your side. The interviews were 30-45 mins each and interactive. Lots of exploratory questions and brainstorming ideas and scenarios. It was a very enjoyable experience overall.

Interview Question – Estimate the number of airports in the USA.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – I got the call for a technical interview through a Referral. I was asked about :
1) Myself
2) One of my projects and how I could improve them.
3) Code for a String Palindrome

It was unexpectedly pretty straight forward. Some corner cases that I was asked to think about in my String palindrome code were a little difficult to think of instantly.

Interview Question – Nothing as such - was expecting something !!   Answer Question

Product Support Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – Had 2 phone calls, one with a recruiter and the other with the hiring manager. I was asked to come in for an interview after the 2nd call, but wasn't interested in the role, so I declined.

Here are some questions from each call...

Recruiter:
-What’s your familiarity with the Facebook platform? If you were running ads for your company, would you choose to do TV or FB ads: what is your reasoning?

-What was your favorite past role?

-Did you deal directly with customers?

Hiring manager:

-Based on the job description, what is it that you think you’ll be doing?

-What did you enjoy vs not enjoy at your last company?

-Walk me through thought process of how you would choose to handle the scenario of a reporting problem for a big client spending $2M vs a small business rushing to get their ad submitted in time for a tight timeframe/holiday promotion. Which case do you choose to work on 1st and why?

-How did you rank your Excel and SQL skills (I had told the recruiter that I knew SQL)? For SQL, gave 2 hypothetical tables and asked how I’d join the 2 to get a certain output. For Excel, asked if I’d ever written macros or done Vlookps- asked how I did vlookups/what I used them for.

Interview Question – Very specific Excel questions as to how I wrote/used a function (Vlookup)   Answer Question

Client Solutions Manager Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – I had a series of four interviews. I was a contractor at Facebook applying for an internal role so the process is likely a little different than an external candidate.

Interview Question – If you were in a position with a CMO and they were really on your case about something that you didn't know the answer to at the time, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – So i had 4 back to back interviews with all managers. The interviews were all extremely technical and the interviewers were pretty straight forward, weren't excessively nice or mean.
The interview went through lunch hour and they din't offer me lunch and I was so hungry through half af all my interviews which kinda sucked.

Interview Question – A lot of SQL questions. General knowledge about how you would handle large amounts of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Extremely straightforward. The recruiter was extremely nice and I tried to negotiate but I couldn't because the offer was already pretty up there.

Software Engineer Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in April 2012.

Interview Details – They found me at SO careers for some reason. First we had a HR with nothing really particular then an other skype/phone interview with real time coding. The guy was ok and friendly, answering all my questions. It was the usual American style interview with absolutely meaningless basic CS questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at facebook? (I didn't really... :))   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook