Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
1,414 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Initial contact by hr. Phone screen for thirty minutes. They just go by syntax so unless you are a college graduate or prepare with focus it's not possible to break into. Even the offered solution even if it works may not be liked by the interviewer. It's a dicey game. Also it feels like they want you to join if you have any idea for them, not that they have a project in mind for you, so I doubt the job is sustainable.

Interview Questions
    • Find out if substring of given length exists in another string. Length and substring can vary.   Answer Question

Data Scientist, Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

For context: I graduated with a MS in CS in May 2014.

Applied through LinkedIn and was later contacted by HR via email asking to schedule a phone screen. Completed the phone interview and was the invited onsite for more interviews. Standard full-day interview process with lunch, etc. Interviewers were all very smart. I did not have difficulties understanding any of them (accents, etc.) as some on Glassdoor have mentioned. Questions consisted of experimental design, product health metrics, statistics, probability, SQL, and (software engineer interview-style) programming questions. Some of the probability and statistics questions were quite difficult. The interviews were hybrid PM/statistician/developer style which made it difficult to prepare for.

Note: this is for the Data Scientist, Analytics and not the Core Data Science / Research Team.

Interview Questions
    • Given two binary strings, write a function that adds them. You are not allowed to use any built in string to int conversions or parsing tools. E.g. Given "100" and "111" you should return "1011". What is the time and space complexity of your algorithm?   Answer Question
    • Lets say the population on Facebook clicks ads with a click-through-rate of P. We select a sample of size N and examine the sample's conversion rate, denoted by hat{P}, what is the minimum sample size N such that Probability( ABS(hat{P} - P) < DELTA ) = 95%. In other words (this is my translation), find the minimum sample size N such that our sample estimate hat{P} is within DELTA of the true click through rate P, with 95% confidence.   Answer Question
    • Write a SQL query to compute a frequency table of a certain attribute involving two joins. What if you want to GROUP or ORDER BY some attribute? What changes would you need to make? How would you account for NULLs?   Answer Question
    • What teams are you interested in at Facebook?   View Answer

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

It was a good experience . Awesome campus , very nice experience . Each interview was 45 minutes. Complete code in time is pressure. Practice in pen paper helps lot . Interviewers were nice , for coding need to cover edge case and test case.

Interview Questions
    • 4 rounds of interview . design , coding round .design a scalable architecture of a system.Need to cover different aspects of scalability . Coding round was difficult.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Twenty minute phone interview with the recruiter. Basic questions like "why do you want to work for facebook", and "what's your favorite facebook feature". Next was a one hour video conference interview with product specialists and product managers. Mostly case studies and scenarios. They also asked what product I was most proud to build (quad dome for burning man), challenges I faced at my previous jobs and how I overcame them.

Interview Questions
    • When you release a new app, how would you find bugs or pinpoint enhancements.   View Answer

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

I was referred by an internal employee and contacted by a Facebook recruiter about 2 weeks later. She described the position she was considering me for and asked me whether I am interested. I said yes and emailed her my availability for next week. Soon I was scheduled for a phone interview.

The phone interview was rather simple. However, the questions are not well thought. For example, he asked to write a query that a certain text field has text. It turned out he is testing for ‘ column like ‘%%’. I am sure there is a lot ways of testing whether I know the SQL keyword “like”. Maybe it is a English issue. Since I had some experience with Facebook’s direct competitor, I felt like the interviewer is more interested in details of how things are running at the competitor rather than in my abilities.

I got email from the recruiter the next morning about on-site interview with 5 different people – 1 data scientist, 1 from another group, 1 hiring manager, 2 direct reports of current hiring manager. I can tell that the group is extremely un-diversified in every sense, and all from eBay/PayPal. I spent 10+ years in Silicon Valley already and I know this is not a good sign. My later interviews approved every bit of my suspicions.

The data scientist only asked me SQL questions for table join and case statements. The interviewer from a different group asked me “We are going to release a new product. What’s your test plan?” I asked back about the goal and metrics of the testing, she repeated her question again “how are you going to test?” Obviously the questions are either not well prepared or misleading. The hiring manager thought I was a different person, and never read my resume at all. He asked me to walk through my resume. One of his subordinates does not know what rank() function does and kept asking me about it. The other subordinate kept asking me every single bit of details of Facebook competitor operations.
    In general, the interviewers are not well trained.

I followed up with recruiter 2 days later (she said she will have answers in 2 days before) and she said that it is extremely difficult decision. I answered all technical and specific questions very well, but not for open questions. It is very bizarre because I analyzed every “open” question from every angle. Open questions are their weapons to weed out candidates that are not of their types. Obviously open questions are used to cover other excuses or otherwise illegal reasons for rejections.

Overall, there is no common understanding between recruiter and hiring teams. There is no proper communication channel between phone interviewer and hiring manager. Totally waste of time and energy.

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Contacted by a recruiter, and first phone interview was after two weeks but I rescheduled. And the interview went really well. The interviewer was late for 10 mins, but he made it up at the end. And he was really helpful during the process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Recruiter called me and asked a couple of HR questions. Schedule a phone interviewed. First phone interview is not hard at all; I implemented with Java but obviously it's not what interviewer thought. Then along with second phone interview. two questions, I did them quick.
    2 days later I was asked to join the on-site interview. I am a little bit nervous in my on-site. Basically the questions were not hard at all. But I was too nervous(It was my first on-site interview in US) and wasn't able to figure out the best solution before timeout.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Give you a data structure Seq
      class Sqe {
          int value;
          Seq nex;
      }
      and give you two Seq object seq., seq., compare two objects, return true if there is only one difference or no difference, false if more than two differences.
      2. Giving a array which has zero and no-zero elements, move all zero elements to the end and no-zero elements to the begin.

View Answers (3)

Software Engineer for Android Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

I had a telephonic interview asking overall 8 multiple choice questions. The questions where real big to keep in mind for telephonic round. So one has to listen very carefully during interview.

Interview Questions
    • giving choices from which three are correct and one is not so have to find the wrong ones   Answer Question

SMB Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Questions included wanting to know about how I would interact with small business owners, how I stay organized (method), and how I get through a lot of work and prioritize tasks. I did the interview over the phone, and the interviewer was nice and asked good questions. I was not very suitable for the position, and did not have any business or tech experience so I was not surprised that I did not get a follow up interview. I did a lot of research about the role, and I recommend anyone applying to do the same. They will want to hear anecdotes and numbers.

Infrastructure MBA Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

There were three Interviews. The first one was an HR Interview followed by an interview with the Director and then an interview with the manager. All Interviews were 30 -- 45 minutes in duration. The interviews were pointed more towards assessing ease of working with and fast thinking.The Results were out fast.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you exhibited leadership to achieve an important goal.   Answer Question