Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
1,109 Interview Reviews

3.3

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

One of their recruiters reached out to me on LinkedIn, and we set up a time to talk. The recruiter was very aggressive, and indicated they liked to move quickly. We had an hour set up to talk, and used the whole time, and the recruiter had to leave the call right at the end of the hour.

I was concerned that the position wasn't the right fit for me (currently in an executive role within a technology organization, however I have a very technical background). The recruiter quickly dismissed my concerns, and proceeded to continue a technical "quiz show" ("describe for me the TCP three-way handshake and what impact latency has on user experience" for example). We finished the hour with essentially no time for me to ask any questions to qualify the position or if it was something _I_ was interested in.

They immediately scheduled an interview with someone in the group I'd be working in. We started the call talking about what I'm doing now, and the interviewer asked me why I was interested in this role. I explained I didn't have the opportunity to qualify the position with the recruiter, and was looking to get that out of this call. After a couple more minutes, we acknowledged it was not a position I was interested in, and that I'd be better off in the engineering organization, which the interviewer would recommend back to the recruiter.

I emailed the recruiter back with the same, and never heard from him again. Based on his title and his LinkedIn profile, I suspect he recruits specifically for this role, and wasn't going to spend any time trying to help fill another role.

Interview Questions
    • General technical "quiz show" - nothing particularly difficult for someone who has long been in the field.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

I was contacted by the recruiter through linkedin. I had an initial call with the recruiter where I was asked about my interests and what I might be looking for. Recruiter explained me the entire process on how the interview goes. Usually they have an initial phone interview, where you have to write code through collabedit. After that in person interview.

Phone interview was all about data structures. First the interviewer asked me what interests me about facebook, what is one thing about facebook I like. After that interviewer asked me to print a binary tree in level order. I did that. And then I was asked to print the tree in level order but using DFS. Interviewer was nice, was giving a lot of hints whenever I was stuck. Overall, a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult for someone who would be clear on data structures I guess.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

A recruiter contacted me. After confirming that I would like to interview for the position, I was asked basic questions around networking, Linux system administration, and programming. A graduating Computer Science student should expect to pass this with little difficulty.

Next was a phone interview for programming. I was asked to take input text and identify the unique words in the text and how many times each word occurred. Edge cases were important as was the performance. Interviewer asked for an analysis of the run-time and memory usage. Any second-year CS student should have no problem completing this in far less than the allocated time.

Next was a phone interview for systems administration. I was given the bare minimum information possible about a system and told to describe how I discover running services and potential issues. As I progressed, the interviewer gave me information reasonable based on my descriptions and identified when I had correctly discovered a problem or possible problem. In investigating problems, it was important to be specific about why the problem was occurring and how to address the issue. When addressing problems, the performance, scalability, and maintainability of the solution was very important. Be prepared to identify how a file system is mounted or if it's local, and be prepared to encounter a single central share mounted by many servers with active read/write activity from them all. This will be difficult for anyone without good real-world Linux systems administration experience.

Next I was flown out to HQ for a series of on-site interviews. A manager spoke to me to gauge my understanding of Facebook and the Production Engineering position (rely on the job description and don't be afraid to ask your recruiter lots of questions!) and to get to know me.

There's another interview about coding and another one for systems administration. Both are along the same lines as the phone interview, but more in-depth and more difficult.

There's a systems design interview, where you'll be given a target and asked to design a scalable and performant system to accomplish the goal. You may be asked to analyze the storage requirements (core and/or persistent) and network requirements of your system.

The last interview type is a networking interview, which is very in-depth and requires extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP/IP, DNS, etc. Essentially, start at a command prompt and think of what happens when you type "telnet www.facebook.com 80" - be prepared to talk about almost every single network-related thing that happens at all seven OSI layers. Know your packet layouts!

Throughout the entire process, my recruiter was always on top of keeping me informed and always answered questions very quickly (I rarely waited even most of a day for a reply). I rarely needed to ask anything about what to expect because she kept me so well informed. Don't worry too much about thinking at Facebook's scale, they understand that very few people have worked on anything even approaching their size and scale. Everyone you deal with will work hard to make things go as smoothly as it can.

Interview Questions
    • The entire networking interview was very difficult, I was not expecting the amount of in-depth knowledge expected for that interview.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

Was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter initially asked me a handful of one-word-answer system administration questions. Subsequently had three phone screening interviews spaced over a couple of weeks before being invited to fly out to SF for an on-site interview.

The screening interviews were straightforward 45-minute phone calls using an shared text editor site to code.

The on-site interview was a full day consisting of 4 seperate interviews on different topics. The engineers I interacted with were all very friendly, and the questions asked were at times difficult but very fair: everything I was asked seemed very relevant to the potential job and assessing my general programming skill (no "stupid hard for the sake of being stupid hard" sort of questions).

The campus is fantastic, and I got to spend a lot of time with the recruiter, who was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, asking questions and wondering around checking the place out. The trip would have been worth the time even if I didn't get an offer.

About a week after my on-site interview, I got a call from the recruiter saying they wanted to offer me the position. The next day we discussed the compensation details, and a few days later I accepted.

You will be asked what compensation you are expecting annually

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Applied online in August 2013 through FB. I finally received an email in January, after an FB employee referral, from a recruiter. We scheduled a phone screen for the following week. I was a bit nervous as this was my first phone interview for a job I really wanted, and I'm sure she could tell. I have over 15 years of Administrative Assistant experience as well as a wide variety of other skills that would be extremely useful to FB. It would have been nice if the recruiter too a bit more time to get personal instead of straight to the point.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your boss asked you to do something out of the ordinary?   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Sent my resumé, had a first round phone interview. 30 minutes, worked through one algorithm. Didn't hear back about another phone interview for 3 weeks, at which point I had already accepted another offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a relatively standard question about BSTs.   Answer Question

Solutions Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter the day after I submitted my resume online. I was as accommodating as possible, finding a quick break between meetings to speak with her about the position. Overall, that conversation went well but I was winding down from a high pressure meeting so I was definitely a bit loquacious. We scheduled a phone interview to follow two days later.

During that time, I talked a bit with my mother about how relocation would affect my ability to help with a recent loss in my immediate family. I emailed the recruiter and scheduler, alerting them I didn't think I'd be able to relocate for some time, and I understood if they wanted to cancel the interview, but I'd hold the time on my calendar until hearing from them.

I received a reply after the interview time, only after mentioning "Glassdoor". So I instead spent the interview time writing this review.

Challenging work is great, being part of innovation is amazing, but as a successful professional with experience in both, I can't emphasize enough how important it is you find somewhere to work that treats people the way you'd hope to be treated in opposite shoes. This is the same way they'll treat you as innovation changes things... who knows...in a more connected/augmented reality based world what relevance a profile would even have?

If I could look back I would apply this same principle to how I made friends, love interests, and how I have chosen jobs. There will always be more money to be made. There will always be smart people to work with. There will always be exciting/innovating things to be part of. But this isn't like surfing waves where you just catch another one...being part of something will change who you are/how you act/who you become.

In short, don't sell your soul to hang out with this year (or decades) cool kids.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook.

Two quick discussions with two people. Very casual and informal. No trick questions. It seemed they just wanted to get to know me and see if I was easy to work with. Very easy process.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do your first week on the job.   View Answer
    Flat rate offer.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2012.

Job fair at my school, i went over to the facebook desk and ask few questions to the lady and then they ask if i will like a interview for a graphic design job, i said yes.

Account Manager Interview

Very basic initial phone interview from a recruiter at Facebook. No questions were asked to be thrown off, general background information and resume review. Nothing unexpected. General review of past experience and general knowledge. Nothing even too specific to Facebook or the role in general.

Interview Questions
    • General resume review, nothing in particular unexpected.   Answer Question