Facebook

Updated Dec 21, 2014
1,239 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

One on campus interview and one onsite interview. The on campus interview takes 45 minutes, the interviewer will ask first about the resume and project experience and then the ask one or two technical problems. If pass the on campus interview. There will be notification for an onsite interview after one or two business day.

Interview Questions
    • Find Minimum in Rotated Sorted Array
      Find the minimum element.
      Assume there is no duplicate exists in the array.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

1 Behavior/Past experience
    2 Ninja
    3 Lunch (not rated)
    4 Design
    5 Ninja

The behavior interview is about 1 hour, just talking about your past and current experience and projects you have done, plus a 15 mins coding test.

first Ninja is an opening question, essentially creating your own question based on a scenario and do some coding. My experience was really good so you have the flexibility to design questions you are familiar with.

Lunch was chat with a senior team lead, relax and get to know what you want to know.

Design was easy for me, since I have done a similar system at my current job.

the last ninja really sucked, the question is about a really unconventional event processing model using "pulling" instead of standard "push" model (like Storm), and the interviewer does not talk much and was not happy when I proposed the much simpler and intuitive push model. I failed on this one.

Interview Questions
    • The second ninja (coding) test was about event processing system using pulling model, which literally no one in the industry is using.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Gave my resume at my university's tech fair and heard back two months later to schedule an interview. My interviewer was honestly pitiful. He was disinterested and rarely spoke (several times I thought the call got cut off). He didn't seem to care about me at all, but simply if I could answer the technical question. When given the chance to ask him questions about his experience he gave short answers that gave me a poor impression of Facebook as an employer: goal oriented (as in, finish or die trying), regimented, and not user-centric. The technical question was difficult as well, and I got the impression that asking questions of him was discouraged. I was stopped early, but I think I got the answer later after the interview was over (though I will never be sure as the spec was not 100% clear).

Interview Questions
    • Given a mapping of the english alphabet to numbers (i.e. a = 1, b = 2, k = 11) and a string of numbers (i.e. "110124"), determine the number of representations that the string may have in letters.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

interviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Did three rounds of interviews.
    First round: design a system to detect homeworking copying, which means input two strings and a integer K, if there is a common substring of them have length larger than K, return true, else return false.
    Second round: nearly all behavior questions. In the last five minutes, asked me to code up a linked list reverse function
    Third round: build a dictionary trie and implement search function, mainly focusing on the OO designing pattern.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Facebook came to my campus career fair where I turned in my resume. I had an onsite interview in New York which went well. It was completely a technical interview with only programming. I was asked 2 questions - the first was a simple reverse a signed integer, the second was a harder pattern matching problem that could be solved using a prefix tree.

I was invited to a second on-site interview in Menlo Park. It was a long flight across the country and in hindsight totally not worth the time wasted - I skipped classes and turned in homework late as a result. The on-site was awful. My interviewer showed up late and then proceeded to ask me a very simple question about printing the paths to nodes in a binary tree. Coded it up with some minor corrections (since I was white boarding and you miss some stuff when you're face is glued to a wall). He then extended the question but cut me off because we ran out of time (this was completely his fault since he showed up a good 15 minutes late).

They proceeded to give me a tour of the campus and talk with current engineers. It would have been fun if it hadn't been for the bad interview. Overall, I got the feeling that they're a large company and are definitely not as agile as they were a couple of years ago. Engineers were very complacent and talked more about their great perks than personal growth.

In the end, I think I got caught in the interview anti-loop and had some poor luck. Promptly rejected. I really wish I hadn't wasted 48 hours flying for that sad excuse of an interview.

Interview Questions
    • The pattern matching question in my 1st interview was reasonably tricky, but the interview did a fantastic job of giving me the right clues to help me solve it on my own.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

I had a first-round in-person interview at my university where I was being interviewed along with many other candidate interns. The questions were not too difficult at all, the first one was basically to implement binary search and the second one had to do with array manipulation. I answered the questions correctly but still didn't advance so I'm not totally sure what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array, move all the zeros to the end and return the number of nonzero elements in the array   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

I applied through campus. It took 2 weeks. First there's a on-campus interview for 45 mins. After that, I was noticed to take the on-site interview. For on-site, there're 3 rounds, 2 of them are all coding, the other is behavior questions plus 1 15-mins coding.

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the questions are not difficulty but it's also not easy to do them correctly if you see them first time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Contacted Facebook University recruiter with my CV and sent in a form specifying where I wanted to work/ what I wanted to do at Facebook. I was scheduled an interview for late in the evening due to the time difference with California. Initially asked a number of questions on my CV and the projects I had worked on. Then moved onto technical coding question using online coding tool. This was a hard recursive question which I was unable to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to write a function that would return all the possible words generated when using a phone numpad to type.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I turned in my résumé at a University hiring event and heard back within a week. A phone call was set up for the end of the week. It was meant to be a 45 min phone call but ran another 15 mins. I felt like they paired me with someone that was out of the scope of my prior experience. They are really looking for someone to hop onto on stack.

Interview Questions
    • Choose the best structure and implement it to store a pre-fix line of code i.e. + - 3 3 4 5   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Facebook had come on campus.The first round was simple coding questions .The second round was a telephonic screening for 45 mins. The interviewer explained his job role and gave 5 mins in the end to ask questions

Interview Questions
    • 1--a
      2--b
      ...
      26--z
      given a digit , return the count of the possible output
      eg. '1313' --- 4
      acac mac mm acm
      '101' --1
      ja
      cannot discard any digit .

View Answers (3)