Facebook Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
1,109 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

My first, and second-round interviews were at HQ. Facebook has three types of interviews: Product Sense, Product Execution, and Leadership.

My first round interview I met with two people, one for Product Sense, and one for Product Execution.

My second round interview I met with three people, one for each category. Yes, Product Sense, and Product Execution interviews are done twice.

Product Sense: this interview revolves around questions like "What would you build?" "Suppose we wanted to improve the photos experience." The interviews are trying to get at your sense from product.

Product Execution: here, questions like "Newsfeed engagement has decreased 2% week-over-week. why?" or "You're sitting with a data analyst, and you know there's a mobile problem in our new release. What would you ask him?"

Leadership: here the FB team is trying to figure out if you're inspiring, if you work well with others--it's a behavioral interview. Be expected to answer questions such as "Tell me about a time when you experienced a challenge building a product. What did you do?" or "What's your biggest accomplishment?"

Interview Questions
    • I don't think there are any very difficult questions. You should always ask clarifying questions if something is not clear. I had to ask many clarifying questions.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Facebook.

It was a long interview process, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless. The first involved a phone call with a recruiter, she was incredibly friendly and referred me to the next call to talk about my work. The second call I was a bit nervous, but as soon as I spoke to the designer on the phone I immediately calmed down and he made the process feel very easy, like I was talking to a friend. Be sure to know all possible answers to questions about your designs. The next call was about critiquing a popular app so be prepared to analyze and answer questions about that! All in all it was a good process, I didn't get hired but I will be open to trying again in the future!

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

I applied online for the position at Facebook and heard back from a recruiter within 48 hours. We scheduled a phone interview for the end of the week which was pretty informal. The role was discussed as well as my background and other similar general questions. The recruiter then scheduled a phone interview with a member of the team. The interview with the team member consisted on general background questions and some behavioral questions. After my second round interview I was then told I would be flown to Mountain View for a third and final round. I met with 4 interviewers back to back and this interview involved case study questions as well as a lot of ambiguous questions about the future of Facebook which I was not really expecting (esp the case question). I waited about 2 weeks to hear back from the recruiter and was told I did not get the position.

Interview Questions
    • How many Vacuums are there in the USA?
      How can you spot click fraud?
      How many mail boxes are there in San Francisco?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter who didn't seem to be very interested in me. They were rushing me off the phone, and it felt very much like I had been talking to a telemarketer.

I had two of phone interviews with two PMs. They were very friendly people, but it did seem like they kept trying to summarize my answers for me (mansplaining anyone?). One of them tried to "grade" an answer on the spot, saying I got all the answers right except one item....and it turns out I did say that. Perhaps he didn't hear me, and I didn't want to correct him (I was already being mansplained to death).

Not sure I am convinced FB is doing much to increase or help diversity on their end, judging from this interview process.

You should study the questions here on Glassdoor. Many of the questions here are what was asked of me on my phone interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

The process was pleasant and everyone was very nice and smart. I had a phone interview, a week went by and I had a second. Three weeks then passed so I emailed the recruiter and an onsite was scheduled.

1st Phone Interview: Product Sense, questions about how I would solve a hypothetical problem. For example, if FB wanted to build a new recruiting tool, how would I go about testing my hypothesis and verifying my problem identification and solution.

2nd Phone Interview: This one was termed "Execution", which I interpreted as assigning values to features and the process I would go through to vet a feature's or product's value. Turned out it was all about analytics and metrics: "How would you decide whether to show a friend suggestion in the FB news feed every ten feed items versus an advertisement?" "What are the trade-offs etc?" A lot of the interview focused on relative trade-offs and comparisons. I felt I did really badly but then got the onsite and final round invite.

Onsite/Final Round: First interview focused again on Product Sense - "how would I change the news feed?", "what new feature would I build?". The second interview focused on leadership, "tell me about a time_____", and was designed to assess my ability to influence people and inspire. The third interview was back to Execution. I was asked to point out UI changes in the current app and use the whiteboard to graph examples of how metrics I would roll out of bed and want to look at would look.

Overall, the experience was positive though the process was extremely lengthy considering there was no offer. After my final interview I was told I'd know within three days. Two weeks went by so I called and left the recruiter a voice-mail. Another week and a half went by so I emailed and finally got the "thanks but no thanks" (though worded very nicely and appropriately).

Interview Questions
    • They're really looking for a "package deal" so no one question stood out as being really difficult. It's very important to ask clarifying questions if you don't understand something. I made the mistake of making assumptions that weren't justified and should have been more assertive in asking for more information or for clarification.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook in April 2013.

A recruiter contacted me. After a few days of back and forth we set up a phone interview. In the phone interview we discussed a possible problem that involved trees. I struggled to implement the necessary algorithm.

Eventually, I got to ask a couple of questions about facebook.

Received a decline a couple weeks later.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2013.

Took 3 weeks total. The interview process was pretty good once I was connected through an internal recruiter. The phone interview was challenging which helped as an indicator for the onsite interview (also fairly challenging). The onsite consisted of 4 back-to-back 1 on 1s.

Interview Questions
    • Write a boolean string on a white board and explain the logic.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Phone interview: Was called one day after submitting my resume. Very nice, recruiter but new very little about the actual position which made it difficult for me to show my value. She appeared to be very excited about my interest through multiple emails but did not hear back.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

One phone interview and one onsite interview. The process is relatively quick because I contact the HR directly.
    The interviewer and the HR are very very nice. Talking to them really makes me feel relaxed.
    I had the onsite interview at Facebook New York office. The working environment there is just amazing. I think if you enjoy the job as a software engineer, you would love that.

Interview Questions
    • No very difficult questions. Just take it easy and enjoy the process. Almost all of the question are from the <Cracking the Coding Interview>. A quick response and emphasize on the issue of efficiency are important.
      I think Facebook love to ask questions about the tree structure and some practical questions because they are realistic problems. When you prepare and practice, do remember that efficiency is a really significant issue, much more important than simply giving an answer.
      And I would like recommend another book <Programming pearls>. Maybe the book is not a hard one to read, but the thought of the author, why the author wants to improve some algorithm and how he solves problems are really fantastic. The questions are from realistic problems and the book is really worth reading several times. It benefits me a lot.
        Answer Question
    I think it is a great opportunity for me. The interview and the HR are so nice. I would like to work there even without payment. So why should I negotiate ? :)

Product Designer Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter and met for first round of interviews where we briefly went over my portfolio. The format was they interview me first, then I interview them. Afterwards I received a follow-up email and after some scheduling difficulties did a phone interview where I was asked to critique a mobile app.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the most surprising questions were the ones they didn't ask. I wasn't asked about the thinking behind my work and more about the kind of work I was doing. It was very focused on features of the design and less about the big picture thinking around the design.   Answer Question