Facebook

Updated Dec 14, 2014
1,233 Interview Reviews

3.2

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Was referred through a friend with a relatively powerful position at the company, since his company was acquired by Facebook. My first point of contact as an employee referral program recruiter. There seemed to be some confusion as to who I was. At first they rejected my application without an explanation, but when I explained my situation they apologized and passed me on to a different recruiter. I had one phone interview with them and they said they weren't interested.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think was Facebook's interest in acquiring Oculus Rift?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn. Phone interview set up one week after contact.
    Interviewer contacts you on day of interview and send you a link for an online document editor.
    Interview lasted 45 mins.
    The interviewer started off by asking me what my most interesting project is that I have worked on. This took less than 5 mins.
    Then the interviewer gives you the rest of the time to solve a programming problem.
    The last 5 mins or the remaining time you can ask the interviewer questions.

The question was fair. Not a brain teaser. Interviewer was very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Given a matrix, calculate the sum of a sub matrix given the start and end indices of the submatrix   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I applied through an employee referral. I soon got a 45 minute on-campus interview with an engineer. We jumped right in to technical questions. I was asked one whiteboard coding question (with some follow up questions on ways to break the algorithm, runtime, edge cases), and another easy whiteboard coding question (the fact that it was easier was not a good sign).

Interview Questions
    • The question I got was not a difficult question, but whiteboarding the code was where I messed up. It was: how do you find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree.   View Answers (3)

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I saw Facebook had portfolio review time after the conference at out school, so I submitted my site. Luckily got selected, and a product designer talked with me for 15 mins after the conference. Couple days later, I receive an email about their interest in second phone interview. All the email are replied very fast and smoothly. During the phone interview, we talked about apple calendar app, google calendar a little. I didn't get the offer, but the experience was pretty nice.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I met the recruiter at a career fair. He was really helpful and scheduled me for an interview within the same week. I had a phone interview with one of the software engineers and was asked to code three technical problems. The first one was a list of anagrams and the other two were related to levelorder traversal of binary trees.

Interview Questions
    • From a list of words create a list of buckets with anagrams in the same bucket   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I applied online, and then received email to arrange a first round phone interview, the engineer was nice and the question was easy, but it was my first interview, so I was a little nervous, two questions in 45 minutes:
    1. Find intersection of 2 sorted arrays.
    2. Move all non-zero elements into the front of array.

Interview Questions
    • Try to improve the intersection question by binary search, but I did not finish the coding.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Left a resume at the college career fair and got an email to schedule for an interview. They had a reception where I met the interviewer. It was supposed to be a 45 minute interview, but I went over to about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Used questions that show up here or on career cup:

Return the index of the maximum element in an array.

Given a string of characters without spaces, is there a way to break the string into valid words without leftover characters.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

interviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

So far I have been through the coding challenge. Other interviews next week. I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my profile on LinkedIn. She wanted to talk about full time opportunities but we settled on an internship first.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I came in contact with Facebook employees at a conference and was invited to a recruiting event the next evening. I originally had a phone screen with a recruiter for a position that was too technical for me, but she was still interested in me and encouraged me to check out other jobs listed on the site.

I did find the Data Scientist position fit my qualifications, and let her know. From that point, the process took about 3 weeks. After another recruiter screen for the second position, I had a technical phone screen and was then invited to fly down to Menlo Park for an in-person interview.

I was definitely challenged in the in-person interview with fairly difficult math, probability, statistics, and SQL questions. I wasn't able to solve every problem, but they are mostly interested in how you think about it and how far you get. I did email the solution the next day for the one I didn't completely solve.

The recruiters did prepare me fairly well for what to expect, and I enjoyed that the interview was almost exclusively technical. No 'tell me about a time when...' questions.

Interview Questions
    I did not choose to negotiate as it was already the strongest offer I had of three.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Saw the recruiter at a "office hours" kind of event a few days before the job fair at our school. Didn't really talk to the recruiter about all that much, but I think they were only offering interviews to people they saw at that event since they weren't at the job fair.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree, print every node on each level on a new line (i.e. print all the nodes on level 0 on one line, print all the nodes on level 1 on another line, etc.)   View Answer