Facebook

Getting the Interview

1,003 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Facebook Internship Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – I turned in my resume during college job fair, and were given a chance to interview on campus.

Interview Question – The question was about writing some functionalities of regular expression   Answer Question

User Experience Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Facebook came to our school, got pre-selected for an interview. Interviewed on campus, did not get interview.

Interview Question – Favorite app and why   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Data Scientist Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter at a college career fair. About 1 week later, I did the first of two technical phone interviews.

Interview Question – All questions revolved around database ideas. The most difficult question I encountered had to do with certain rows in a DB table being bad and we wanted to filter them out. The interviewer asked how, at a high level, we could determine which rows were bad. Then he wanted to see it coded.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I had three phone interviews, and then was flown out to Menlo park for three on-site interviews. Interviewers asked very detailed questions and often challenged you on your answers. Recruiters were prompt and the process moved quickly but I didn't get much background before the interviews. It was a difficult but positive interview process.

Interview Question – Walk me through how you would design an app   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online. I was contacted about 2 months later by the recruiter. Initial phone interview with recruiter, then phone interview with hiring group person. Went to Menlo Park shortly thereafter for in-person interviews. Interviews consisted of talking with 5 people in 45 minute sessions each, back to back. On the one hand, the interviewers prepared well, almost all of them coming in with a pre-prepared list of questions. On the other hand, some of the questions came off as if they had not looked at my resume at all. I think I handled the questions pretty well as I had done a lot of homework before I went. They had given me a list of the people I was going to talk with in advance, and I researched each one of those people and had their backgrounds, former employers, where they went to college, etc. etc. memorized going in. That research also allowed me to think ahead of time about how I wanted to "message" each person I was meeting with. My biggest complaint about the interview process was that I was allowed almost no time to ask detailed questions about what they were really looking for in a candidate or what the job is really like. Yes, I did get the polite "do you have any questions for me?" , but usually that came when the next interviewer was waiting outside the door, so it was hard to get any useful information in this regard.

Interview Question – Be prepared to be quizzed in your field of interest. They seem to have this thing about making sure that you understand or know about certain things in your field. In several cases, the questions were obviously relevant to the position, but in several others they were not. My advice is to prepare well in advance for an interview at Facebook.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2010.

Interview Details – Ridiculously long and drawn out process. If you want a snot nosed Ivy League 22-year old telling you how the business world works, you should definitely interview here. I met with 8 different people, most of them were straight out of school, yet cocky as hell.

Interview Question – How much money is spent on the internet?   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – My resume was entered into the system by a friend who currently works there, but after a week and no contact, I applied online to a Data Scientist position.

Data scientists at Facebook have a totally separate hiring process from software engineers.

You have an initial phone screen by a data scientist which will focus on your 'analytical ability.' For those of you who (like me) have no idea what that means, it means a tiny bit of coding/scripting in a language of your choice while you work a reasonable, made-up data science scenario. They'll give you pretend access to a pretend database of information, have you write a few queries, give you fake data for your output, and have you debug plausible scenarios for that fake data.

I received word rather quickly (two days later) that I passed the phone screen and would be invited to Mountain View for a day of interviews. I scheduled those interviews for 3 weeks down the line.

Interviews at Mountain View are grueling, not because of their technical difficulty, but rather because of the interview setup. I was interviewed in a tiny closed cubicle no more than 8 feet x 8 feet; room for two one-seater couches and a tiny table. The wall was a whiteboard. There were 5 back to back 30 minute interviews, and while the interviewers were apparently supposed to ask if I needed water or a bathroom break, they often forgot to do so. The next interviewer was waiting right outside when the last interview ended. After we covered all of the technical content (about which I signed an NDA, so I unfortunately will not share the details of that), I had about 120 seconds to quiz my interviewer about what data science is like at Facebook.

I may have earned brownie points with one on-site interviewer for stopping him when he started asking me the same question that I had had during my phone screen. He thanked me and changed to a new problem.

I studied for the Data Scientist interviews by:
a) coding in python (which I do for my job; they were happy to let me code in python for the on-site interviews)
b) reviewing Stanford's online statistics 101 class
c) doing a few 'hat trick' type probability puzzles

I was well prepared for their interview questions.

I heard back from my recruiter 1 week after on-site interviews and received a generous offer with a fungible 2-week acceptance deadline.

Reason for Declining – Ultimately, I felt that most of the data scientist projects (which I admittedly did not hear very much about) at Facebook were either in their infancy or related to ads. I think Facebook will be an incredible place to be a data scientist at in 2 years, but at the moment, there is more exciting work to be done elsewhere.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – After I talked through phone with recruiter, I got interview for coding question. The coding question is easy, just use recursion to solve it. But time is quite tight, I could not finish the code in time as I talked too much with the interviewers.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – First round interview, 45 mins long

Interview Question – How would you multiply two strings: "123 * "45", without any casting.   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Interview Details – I spoke to an engineer at a university career fair and gave them my resume. I was contacted the next day for an on-campus 45-minute interview. The interviewer was nice and got straight to the technical questions. He asked two. The first was easy, and I spent the rest of the time on the second. He gave me hints as I struggled along.

I was told we would receive feedback in the next week. I got an email a week later about flying to their Menlo Park, CA HQ for an on-site interview and tours/talks. The schedule consisted of one 45 minute interview, and the rest of the day was lunch, a tour, and two tech talks. It was very relaxing! The interviewer asked me one technical question and built it up a bit, and then he asked me about the most recent bug I encountered.

It took them three weeks to get back to me, which made me think I didn't get the job, but I got the offer in the end!

They were really nice and really wanted to get to know you as a person, not just whether you know your algorithms. They also really cared about showing their interest in hiring you, which was a plus and not something you get at a lot of big tech companies.

I had a great experience!

Interview Questions

• Given a library of numbers to corresponding letters (1 = a, 2 = b, 3 = c, etc.) and a string made up of digits, return how many different ways those digits can be translated to letters.
    ex: “1111”: “aaaa” “kaa” “aka” “aak” “kk” => 5 different ways