Facebook Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Here's my opinion from my experience interviewing at Facebook.

They tell you the process in advance. One phone interview, 5 in house interviews (3 coding, 1 design and 1 behavioural). All interviews are 45 minutes each and one-on-one, and you have to write code in all of the coding interviews, and possibly in the design one too. In the first round, one person decides whether you get through or not. In the 5 rounds, each interviewer provides their feedback after you have finished the interviews which means that if you do badly in one then the other interviewers won't actually know.

Be fully aware, and make no mistake about this - there is an incredibly high possibility that you will get rejected. That sounds harsh but consider it from their position - huge numbers of people apply, huge numbers get interviewed, and they have to pick people out somehow. They also say that they prefer to avoid hiring the wrong person so ultimately they end up inadvertantly rejecting good candidates incase they turn out to be a bad hire, so the risk of getting rejecting is even higher. Basically, this means you are most likely going to be wasting a ridiculous amount of your time and effort. Perhaps because of this, they are incredibly nice and friendly. This really was the nicest and most pleasant interview I have had.

Also, once you understand the scenario, it really helps to kill your nerves if you suffer from that. After all, why stress about something you have practically no chance of succeeding in? Negative, true, but the odds are really stacked against you and you would do well to understand that and just be yourself.

The questions are not that hard, I found. In fact, I solved the first one so quickly I even surprised myself. You do have to write on the whiteboard, but that of course means that there can not be much code to write since a whiteboard is not that big. Indeed the questions are not that hard really. I felt that they do expect you to talk about what you are doing but also to get it right very quickly and without any mistakes. They want to see how you approach the problem etc., but get real - they don't want to see you fumbling around, they want to see that you know the answer and can bang it out.

Ultimately, even if you know the answer to the technical questions and you get them right you will still likely fail over something you can't really control or even know about. In my case, they said I didn't have management experience, but you know what, I didn't apply for a manager role and they never even asked about management or leadership at all. I was pretty annoyed to be honest, it felt like a complete waste of my time and I felt like an idiot for worrying so much about the interviews.

They do provide you with some preparation links which are useful. There is also a book called Cracking The Coding Interview. It doesn't have their questions in it of course, but it gives you plenty of examples on how to solve these kinds of questions so if you read up on it you should be able to bang them out quite easily.

Overall, it is worth going just to see if you can handle it because you probably can! Just make sure that you feel good about what you achieved even if they say no.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you can tell them what YOU actually did in your previous projects, not what the project was.

Know how to traverse data structures.

Know what the time/space complexity is.

Seriously, it really isn't that hard but you do need to know it so well that you can literally write it flawlessly. They want to see that you arrive at the decision to use a tree/hashtable/graph whatever, but then they expect you to bang out that solution.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter, two round of telephone interview, then onsite. Several days later, references requested and all feedback will be gathered to hiring manager. Then decision.
    The questions usually are not hard. The interviewer will give hints when you stuck.

Solution Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

A friend referred me for the position at Liverail. An internal facebook recruiter reached out and she scheduled a discussion with me.
    We chatted and she knew very very little about the potential roles and gave information that seemed largely conflicting - so I arranged for an 'informal discussion' with a SE currently at Facebook.
    This informal discussion turned out to be a phone interview.

In the mean time the recruiter had reached out to all my colleagues at my current place of work offering them the exact position I was applying for.

The facebook recruiter never got back to me with any feedback about the phone screen - even though the recruiter kept chatting with my colleagues.

All around a very poor process, and offensive that they didn't even get back with a response, whether it was yes or no. Worse still that they approached all my colleagues.

I wouldn't recommend interviewing with Facebook unless you want the same thing to happen with you. Would have expected much better.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

One short telephone interview and 2 skype interviews. The skype interviews were not very difficult, prepared a couple of days for each one. The phone interview was about the CV and general questions about my past experience.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

Interview

Interviewing process was very smooth and recruiters provided me with information and feedback almost instantaneously, for example, I heard back that I passed phone interview stage 6hrs after.

As I applied to NYC office they offered to fly me there for interviews but due to lack of time interviewed in London and loved office atmosphere.

Can't provide onsite questions due to NDA but had 2 coding ninja interviews and 1 jedi fit interview.

Process took quite long as I asked for time in between interviews to prepare better.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview questions:

Given an array of numbers (1,2,3,8,0,2,2,0,10), move all 0s to the right end and all other numbers to the left while keeping relative order of non-zero numbers. Has to be linear in time and in-place.

3 Answers
    • Phone interview

Given a 2D array of gifts, find path from top left to bottom right corner with greatest aggregated gift values.

1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer is pretty good but I'm still waiting to negotiate once I get another competitive offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Facebook employee referred me : 1 telephonic round + 4 onsite (1 Cultural fit + 1 Design + 2 Coding). The interview process was very smooth and all the interviewers were very friendly. Most of the questions in the coding round were on algorithm fundamentals. Also they expect clean coding with proper testing. The design round is more like the discussion you would have with your teammate suggesting pros and cons of each method.

Interview Questions

• Clean code, test cases, scalable design, high level design...   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since I had an offer I could negotiate a bit on RSU offered

Personal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very long process to start with after initial application then it was go, go, go!

First interview was over the phone with HR, second interview was with another member of staff, third interview face to face with the person I would have been working for. All of these took place one day after each other.

After the interviews I heard nothing for a month and kept having to chase HR. I was given various excuses as to why they hadn't come back to me. Then I received a call offering me the role but only as month temp assignment until the person who actually got the job could start!

They dangled the carrot of potential work after with a new role that was coming up in the future but I felt as though I was being blackmailed. I was told they needed to know I was serious about working at Facebook as they would normally only employ staff from Google or You Tube. Basically I wouldn't be put forward for the other role unless I went and temped there for a month. The HR member of staff seemed surprised that I wouldn't be prepared to leave a full time job for month of temping!

Completely unprofessional behaviour.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about how I would deal with difficult members of staff, Where would I book a table for Mark Zuckerberg to have lunch   Answer Question

Only offered a months work

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Short talk with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview. Phone interview involved talking about my previous projects, why facebook, was there anything that concerned me about the role, etc. It then involved a coding question which i've detailed below:

Interview Questions

• Implement a method called printNonComments() which prints out a extract of text with comments removed.

For example, the input:

hello /* this is a
      multi line comment */ all

Should produce:

hello
      all

You have access to a method called getNextLine() which returns the next line in the input string.

4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After a general chat with recruiter (current role, relocation, tech skills) we went ahead with the phone screen.

I was asked 2 coding questions, which I coded, but I needed some hints in the second one.

A few days later I got the email that the team would not like to move forward. And I can setup a call for review the feedback, which I didn't. I knew I wasn't super fast on coding, and problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult.

Reverse String
      Pair words that are Anagrams of each other.

2 Answers

Events Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Facebook (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I went through 2 phone interviews and final stage at their offices in Covent Garden. Planning and communication was good, some small delay but hte overall experience was positive.
    The team I met was very nice and thorough good overall experience, nice offices and "cool" atmosphere.