Facebook

Very Difficult Interview

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

Front-end Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter asked specific javascript trivia questions on first phone call, which I was not prepared for.

Interview Question – Difference between == and === javascript   View Answer

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Ios Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details – While I was planning to look actively for a job in the next weeks, I have been first contacted by a Facebook recruiter (an employee, not a 3rd party company) on LinkedIn – I never really thought about Facebook at first, maybe because I imagined it was an unreachable goal. We scheduled a first phone screen: it was short, about 10 minutes, I said a bit of my background, he explained what Facebook is looking for an a bit of the recruiting process. After asking me 3 very easy Objective-C and iOS programming questions, he said he would like to schedule a phone interview with an Facebook engineer for me. 2 weeks later (he apologized for the long delay, I guess it's usually quicker) I had a phone interview. An engineer interviewed me, spending the first 10 minutes chatting of my background, interests and goals, then a 30 minutes peer-coding questions. As usual it was an algorithmic question, to solve in Objective-C / CoreFoundation (NSString, NSArray, NS* APIs...). She said I'll be contacted again by a recruiter in the next few days. I got a call, the recruited said I'm welcome to come on-site for a day of interviews. I gladly accepted. I then started to think I have some decent chances to get a job at this awesome company. The big day coming, I was very excited and relaxed too. I took a BART from the city and then a cab to the Menlo Park HQ. The recruited warmly welcomed me, we took some coffee, and chatted waiting for the first engineer / interviewer. The 4 interviews are as described on Facebook Careers website. First interviewer chatted a bit of my previous projects and then we had a technical question, involving iOS general knowledge, Objective-C skills, etc. Second interviewer spent most of time chatting of my previous projects, my goals, what I would like to change at Facebook if I was working here; and then we moved to a quick technical question. Then it was lunch time. I was really excited about going to visit the campus, get some good lunch and see how Facebookers are during lunch time. Many bring their MacBooks at lunch, have some fun with colleagues, and enjoy their meals. The lunch time was spent with the recruiter. After he brought me back to the interview room, the 2 next interviews were mostly algorithmic questions. Overall, I found the questions of an average level. Some iOS knowledge is required, some good sense of algorithmic, and remembering Objective-C syntax. Many says, and it's true, that unlike other companies, Facebook likes people who can code on a whiteboard with the correct syntax. It happened that I forgot a ; or wrote @implement instead of @interface. The interviewer asked me if I was sure about my syntax, I read again my code, and found my mistake. They are never (at least very rarely) misleading you. If they say "read again" it probably means "there is a syntax error, find it it's a bonus". A few days later, I got an email and then call from the recruiter who said he got very positive feedback from the interviews so he would like me to gather and send him some reference letters. So I did. A few days later, I got a call and was told I got an offer. It was a very good one.
Overall, the whole process was of course stressful, but very exciting and all interviews were in a very very relaxed atmosphere. It was like chatting with new colleagues, and trying to solve together a problem.

Interview Questions

• I don't want to disclose the exact question (not only because of the NDA I signed, but because it won't be fun if you have this exact same question, and it won't help you anyways I think).   Answer Question
  • One question 3 of the interviewers asked me was "What was the most difficult thing you had to deal with.".   View Answers (5)

Negotiation Details – The offer was much higher than expected. I accepted without negotiation.

Equity Programs Analyst Interview

Equity Programs Analyst
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through the website, was contacted by recruiter. Set-up initial 15-min call to discuss position (she called 15 minutes late but was at least nice about it). Then talked with another HR person prior to scheduling on-site interview. 3-hour interview with 6 different people (three team members, hiring manager, one HR, one payroll). Since job was more corporate the questions were of no surprise; was basically a typical interview asking about challenges, overcoming problems, strengths, why I wanted the job, and giving me an idea of the Facebook culture. 3 hours was a bit long and since it was 10 AM - 1 PM, it breezed right through lunch. I would have liked to try out the cafeteria however I was just offered a few snacks prior to leaving. Some of the interviewers probably could have tag-teamed instead of doing all 1-on-1 because it was a tiny bit repetitious by the end, but overall fine.

Interview Question – Your typical corporate interview assessing strengths, weaknesses, company fit.   Answer Question

Product Support Analyst Interview

Product Support Analyst
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty standard. The interviewer started off by asking for my understanding of the role and how my experience could relate. He went on to tell me more about the position in depth and the structure of the team. Also asked about my experience with excel/SQL and told me about the next steps in the interview process.

Interview Question – How would you decide which ticket to work on first, 1) huge vendor whose campaign has already launched and is wondering why they didn't receive the results the anticipated or 2) small business who is unable to launch their campaign for a product that is two days away.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – Facebook reached out to me via... a facebook message. I wasn't actively looking, but decided to go through the interview process because why not? Maybe they could offer me something my current employer couldn't. The interview process started with two phone interviews. The first was just information and some fact checking. The second was a bit more technical and I had to show the ability to code and answer statistical questions online as one (or more) people watched me type. Then they flew me out for a day/night and I went through 5 interviews in a row (30 minutes each). Facebook has a beautiful Menlo Park campus. Throughout the interviews, only one simple bayesian stats question was asked. Everything else was business questions and computer science questions. I think my training is much more stats/machine learning oriented, so I struggled with a few questions. I signed a NDA, so I can't disclose the exact questions. They asked me on optimal algorithms, standard SQL coding, and business problems. It was very interesting and they did a good job letting me work through things on my own. I think they were looking for someone with more computer science/programming experience than I had.

Interview Question – Again, I can't talk about the specific question, but after I wrote up a simple algorithm, the interviewer asked me for a more efficient solution. I really struggled with that.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Data Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – So i had 4 back to back interviews with all managers. The interviews were all extremely technical and the interviewers were pretty straight forward, weren't excessively nice or mean.
The interview went through lunch hour and they din't offer me lunch and I was so hungry through half af all my interviews which kinda sucked.

Interview Question – A lot of SQL questions. General knowledge about how you would handle large amounts of data.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Extremely straightforward. The recruiter was extremely nice and I tried to negotiate but I couldn't because the offer was already pretty up there.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Interview Details – Facebook recruiters approached me at a conference. Interview followed shortly thereafter; all interviewers had looked at my resume and were ready to ask me questions about my grad work, something that I didn't see in a lot of places. They even put me on the phone with their VP of data infrastructure, which was something that I wouldn't really expect from a company their size. Overall, a great process.

Interview Question – I got some fairly detailed questioning on my research, which was something I didn't really expect for a technical interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I found a position at a startup, and the opportunity cost of turning the startup down for a more established company was too high.

Front End Engineer Interview

Front End Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – Started with an internal HR phone screen after I submitted my cv on Facebook's career website. Then typical 2 tech phone screens before I was taken to the Facebook HQ. Interviewers and HRs were all very nice, smart and passionate. I felt I had done not too bad on the on-site interview, even though I did need quite help from the interviewers and the code on the whiteboard was definitely not beautiful. The feedback turned out that I wasn't so good to get into the UI/UX team. One week after the on-site interview, I was arranged for another interview over the phone with a different team, but it's totally not my area, so it's not surprising it got busted. Generally very good experience, very nice and helpful HR people and excited to be able to visit Facebook campus.

Client Solutions Manager Interview

Client Solutions Manager
Menlo Park, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – I had a series of four interviews. I was a contractor at Facebook applying for an internal role so the process is likely a little different than an external candidate.

Interview Question – If you were in a position with a CMO and they were really on your case about something that you didn't know the answer to at the time, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in April 2012.

Interview Details – They found me at SO careers for some reason. First we had a HR with nothing really particular then an other skype/phone interview with real time coding. The guy was ok and friendly, answering all my questions. It was the usual American style interview with absolutely meaningless basic CS questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at facebook? (I didn't really... :))   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook