Facebook

3.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

I filed a request in FB carrer page. I had 1 prescreening with someone from HR and 3 technical interviews over the phone.

1st interview was about programming. it took about 45 mins, the questions was fairly simple, they just want to make sure you are programmer.

2nd interview was about system administration, I can say it was really tough, it's started with some travail questions and ended with tough questions. Even though there were some hard questions but they weren't something out of the blue.

3rd interview was mostly about networking again there was nothing unanticipated.

By that time they asked me to flew to fly to Menlo Park for onsite interviews. they paid for all my expenses and SF is a beautiful city!

My interview starts at 12PM, I had 5 interviews onsite.

1st interview was mostly about System and Networking, they asked me to explain as much detail as it possible that what does happend when you run "telnet facebook.com 80" in bash. I broke down all the steps and talked about 45 mins about it.

We went for lunch

2nd interview was about System administration, the guy asked me lots of question that I don't recall, the only unexpected question was what would you do if you had 1000 new servers and want to make them functional, I gave him some ideas though.

3rd interview was about programming, again they just want to make sure you know how to program.

4th interview, there was a guy from another IT group. His main questions were about the way I communicate to with other groups and how I would solve the problems when there are people from other groups involve.

5th interviewer, I suppose he was manager of FB's SRO. He asked me some stuffs that I don't remember exactly but he wanted to know my attitudes and this kind of stuff.

FYI if you are worried about the interviews you can freely ask HR about it and they usually tell you what's the interview about and you could preparer for that.

Interview Questions
  • What would you do if you had 1000 new servers and want to make them functional   View Answer

Unfortunately in my case they needed to obtain extra government authorization to hire me in the US but they didn't manage to get that

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in December 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter because they found my resume on LinkedIn. I had a quick screening phone interview with the recruiter, before having two technical phone interviews, where we shared a collaborative text document so that they could see what I typed. Each of the two interviews lasted about 45-60 minutes. Finally, I had a somewhat shorter (30 minute) management interview.

At this point, they decided to fly me to Facebook for on-site interviews. I was passed from my recruiter to a coordinator who organized the on-site schedule. I flew down the night before and left the evening afterwards. All meals, transportation and lodging were paid for or expensed to Facebook.

The actual on-site interviews were fun. I was given a brief tour by my coordinator, then led into a (very) small conference room with whiteboards. I had four interviews total, with lunch in-between with my coordinator. Each interview was about an hour or so. One was with a manager. One was a coding interview. Two were systems-oriented, since this was an Applications Operations Engineering (aka Site Reliability Engineering, etc.) position.

Over the next several days, my coordinator was able to share a bunch of feedback from the interviewers. All four interviewers recommended a hire. I was told that there would be two meetings to make a decision. Once with the AppOps team, and once with some higher-ups for final approval.

I was informed that they would keep my resume on file, but that they wouldn't be making me an offer shortly after the designated time for the second meeting. Though the message also stated that my coordinator would like to chat with me to discuss why they came to their decision, to date we've had trouble scheduling a time. Understandably, I suspect I'm less of a priority for the coordinator now that I'm not a candidate.

Overall the experience was quite positive and everyone I spoke to was great. Facebook genuinely seems like a great place to work. My only complaints thus far (in chronological order) are:

1. My recruiter often took a week or more to respond to my messages. Partially (though by no means entirely) as a result of this, the interview process took several months.
    2. I found the CS interview questions, especially those on-site, to be disappointingly easy. This may have been due to time constraints, though.
    3. Because of the lengths of the interviews, I had relatively little time to ask questions of the interviewers. The one exception was my last interview of the day. Because there was nothing but a debrief with my coordinator afterwards, I was able to chat more with the interviewer. This gave me a lot more insight into Facebook, and also resulted in him more strongly recommending a hire.
    4. To date I haven't been able to pin my coordinator down for why I wasn't offered the position.

Overall, if you're given the opportunity to interview with Facebook, go for it. At the very least, the process is a lot of fun. And maybe you'll get a job at a great company!

Interview Questions
    • Read in text from a text file or stdin and tally the most common words. Output, in order, the most common words present in the file.   View Answers (2)

Operations Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2011.

Got contacted by their recruiter and he asked some basic technical questions. At the end of conversation, he'd like to set up a schedule for a phone interview. One week later, did a phone interview with one of their engineer. After that, no news from FB.

Operations Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2010.

2 weeks after applying online I received a call from one of their recruiters. We had a chat about my current job and discussed some details of the job offer, including my salary expectations.

After that we setup a first phone interview with someone from the Palo Alto office. This interview covered Linux, troubleshooting and some networking. This interviewer was very friendly and the interview itself went pretty well.

For the second one they asked me to go to a document sharing web site and write a script. Unlike the previous one, this interviewer was not friendly at all, he seemed to be doing me a favor by wasting his time interviewing me and was completely quiet during the 30 minutes. I was stuck in one part of the problem and he didn't do anything to help me, like in other interviews I've gone through.

I did a third interview which was similar to the first one but more focused on troubleshooting, although we also touched networking and the Linux boot process. Again, this interviewer was nice and friendly.

After one week the recruiter came back to me to confirm what I suspected already, we would not proceed further because I didn't do well enough in the scripting part. I'm pretty sure that had the interviewer been more helpful I would have arrived at the solution. The recruited mentioned that I did very well on the other parts and that if I work on my scripting skills for a few months I could re-apply and take it from there.

Because of this person I am rating the interview process as neutral and not positive, and will most likely not try again given the constant privacy concerns surrounding this company.

The interviewing process is interesting and worth going through, though.