Facebook Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.2

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I had a screening interview with a recruiter, then a phone interview with someone currently in the position.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite Facebook feature? What would you do to improve it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

After a phone interview from the recruiter, I had a rather easy Skype technical interview (3 algorithmic questions, answered all of them correctly). Within 2 weeks I was informed that I was approved for an onsite interview in Palo Alto HQ. There I had 4 consecutive interviews (Ninja, Pirate, Jedi, Ninja). Ninja interviews require coding in board practice - quite difficult since if you answer correctly in one of them they ask something else. Jedi was related to my PhD. Pirate was the most difficult one as there were no right/wrong answer and questions were related to database design and overall Facebook feature design. The interviewers were very friendly and helpful. In overall, a great experience!

Marketing Principal Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was emailed out of the blue from a recruiter who saw my resume online. He was really nice and motivating about the impact of the job. Then i was scheduled for a phone screen. The interviewer showed up late and then rushed through very high level questions. It was almost as if they didn't know what questions to ask. I was then flown out to their HQ in Palo Alto...it was the most disorganized and hectic onsite I've ever been on. First, my second interviewer was a no show since he was out of the country. Seriously? You didn't know the interviewer would be in Europe for my onsite? Then, they kept me through lunch but didn't feed me anything - which is rude. Either don't interview through lunch or take the candidate out for an informal. Otherwise, they get queasy and hungry, like I did.

So, after all the onsite interviewing, they told me it looked really good and that I should hear back from them within 2 days. An offer was imminent.

However, in 2 days, they told me they wanted to look at other candidates and then proceeded to jerk me around for 2 weeks. The hiring mgr even called me to do a follow up interview (even through he'd already grilled me in person). It's like they didn't know what they wanted or how to go about a professional recruiting regime.

Finally, they made me an offer and acted like they were focused only on me from the beginning. Their tune changed and I found it to be disingenuous. Also, the offer compensation was insulting. Esp for an expensive place like Palo Alto. I was also interviewing with another large tech company that made me an offer and beat Facebook's offer by 30%. Now, looking back on it, this was a fantastic decision and no regrets. Their stock price has bottomed out and that was a large part of my compensation. Also, the company is so flat that the opportunities for career growth were nonexistent.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA so can't disclose. But, the questions were high level and scattered. There wasn't a clear theme on the loop - it was as if everyone scrambled to put some questions down 10 minutes before the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

- Since I was applying for Mobile Front-End Engineer, I had to code a 4x4 tiles puzzle game compatible on a mobile device (either web app, iOS, or Android).

- One formal 10 minutes phone call about how things were going to proceed for the next couple of interviews.

- A 45 minutes interview with an engineer from the research team. Basic first 10 minutes to answer questions about my professional past, 25 for technical questions, and 10 for me to ask him questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

There were 2 phone calls with techinical questions about data structure. The second guy gave me some wrong condition

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

two phone interviews, BST print by level, String manipulation

Frontend Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Communications first occurred with a 30 minute phone screening to determine if I would be a good qualifying fit. From there, I was contacted with instructions to complete a programmatic challenge to be written in JavaScript that was estimated to take between 8 and 10 hours time as solved by current Facebook employees. The challenge, at it's core, was intended for candidates to prove their programming chops. Facebook was looking for both succinct and optimized solutions, i.e. you better use the most efficient algorithm available while still maintaining very few lines of code. The problem I was asked to solve looked fairly easy at face value, but I soon realized a few hours in that there were numerous edge cases that needed to be accounted for and would drastically reduce my algorithms efficiency due to nested loops. I solved the problem with a sub-optimal solution in around the time required but was denied continuation of the interview process. I wasn't given any real feedback, but I didn't ask for it either. The recruiter was very pleasant on the phone and in his emails.

Interview Questions

• Solve the programmatic problem attached to this email and send it back.   1 Answer

Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter because they found my resume on LinkedIn. I had a quick screening phone interview with the recruiter, before having two technical phone interviews, where we shared a collaborative text document so that they could see what I typed. Each of the two interviews lasted about 45-60 minutes. Finally, I had a somewhat shorter (30 minute) management interview.

At this point, they decided to fly me to Facebook for on-site interviews. I was passed from my recruiter to a coordinator who organized the on-site schedule. I flew down the night before and left the evening afterwards. All meals, transportation and lodging were paid for or expensed to Facebook.

The actual on-site interviews were fun. I was given a brief tour by my coordinator, then led into a (very) small conference room with whiteboards. I had four interviews total, with lunch in-between with my coordinator. Each interview was about an hour or so. One was with a manager. One was a coding interview. Two were systems-oriented, since this was an Applications Operations Engineering (aka Site Reliability Engineering, etc.) position.

Over the next several days, my coordinator was able to share a bunch of feedback from the interviewers. All four interviewers recommended a hire. I was told that there would be two meetings to make a decision. Once with the AppOps team, and once with some higher-ups for final approval.

I was informed that they would keep my resume on file, but that they wouldn't be making me an offer shortly after the designated time for the second meeting. Though the message also stated that my coordinator would like to chat with me to discuss why they came to their decision, to date we've had trouble scheduling a time. Understandably, I suspect I'm less of a priority for the coordinator now that I'm not a candidate.

Overall the experience was quite positive and everyone I spoke to was great. Facebook genuinely seems like a great place to work. My only complaints thus far (in chronological order) are:

1. My recruiter often took a week or more to respond to my messages. Partially (though by no means entirely) as a result of this, the interview process took several months.
    2. I found the CS interview questions, especially those on-site, to be disappointingly easy. This may have been due to time constraints, though.
    3. Because of the lengths of the interviews, I had relatively little time to ask questions of the interviewers. The one exception was my last interview of the day. Because there was nothing but a debrief with my coordinator afterwards, I was able to chat more with the interviewer. This gave me a lot more insight into Facebook, and also resulted in him more strongly recommending a hire.
    4. To date I haven't been able to pin my coordinator down for why I wasn't offered the position.

Overall, if you're given the opportunity to interview with Facebook, go for it. At the very least, the process is a lot of fun. And maybe you'll get a job at a great company!

Interview Questions

• Read in text from a text file or stdin and tally the most common words. Output, in order, the most common words present in the file.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after a mutual friend gave them my resume. They were aware that I had a pending offer that I had to make a decision on, and were very good about moving the process along as quickly as possible.

I lived nearby, so I did two on-site interviews initially. After completely bombing one of them but doing well on the other I was brought in a little bit later for the full interview. I had about 5 people interview me. Afterwards they were still unsure so I had a couple phone interviews/conversations.

The recruiter did a great job of keeping me up-to-date about what was happening, was very honest with me, and was able to rush to get me an offer (which was especially nice because it was almost Christmas at the time)

Interview Questions

• Many of the interviews focus on coding exercises. It can be very hard to write code on a whiteboard with someone watching you. People are right about it being a good idea to practice writing on a whiteboard on your own first.   Answer Question

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

A friend who's an engineer there passed my resume along. Had two phone interviews which I found quite difficult. They both had me code in collabedit.org, and the second also actually ran my code on codepad.org - that was a surprise! I did not do perfectly on the phone interview questions, but still got through.

They brought me on-site for an interview day which included a tour, lunch, a talk, and four 1:1 interviews. One-half of the first interview included some questions about leadership, teamwork etc., and the rest were all technical. One of the interviewers seemed to be in a grumpy mood, but that's the luck of the draw. The whiteboard coding questions were not too bad and I think I got them all, though with some silly mistakes along the way. I'd agree with the previous reviewer who said their questions are not as difficult as Google's- though perhaps they therefore have higher expectations as to how quickly/flawlessly you solve them.

On my way out they gave me a goodie bag with some swag. Oh, and at one point I saw Zuckerberg milling about. Got an email a week or so later- I would not be winning the Facebook IPO lottery!