Facebook

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview testing SQL competence and some analytical thinking. After this, they have an on-site, which consists of five or six short interviews testing SQL, probability/statistical skills, problem-solving with respect to a particular product. Overall a very pleasant process, and it all moves pretty fast, 1-2 weeks. SQL seems to be the only skill they really test for, which is nice, but also many people might be more comfortable doing certain tasks using other technologies, so SQL is heavily emphasized.

Interview Question – Produce a histogram using a SQL query.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Interview Details – The overall process took about 4 months from initial contact to date of offer. It started off with a recruiter phone screen to determine which analyst role best fit my background. The second round included an on-site SQL/programming quotient mostly around being creative with SQL to get desired results and interpreting data. Round 3 was focused primarily on analytics and business acumen; specifically around metadata. Round 4, the final, was a combination of SQL, analytics, and probability.

Interview Question – Bayes theory questions.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I cannot go into detail, but the onsite interview process consisted of talking to various Facebook employees over the course of 3 hours. It was very well organized, and I had the opportunity to speak to employees at various positions in the company. Everyone was warm, courteous, and open to answering any questions I had.

But make no mistake, my analytical and coding abilities were tested early on, and later my general Facebook knowledge, experimental design, and business approaches were tested. I left the process feeling exhausted but satisfied that I had done nearly as well as I had hoped. There isn't much you can do to prepare for such a series of interviews, other than familiarize yourself with Facebook products. Good luck!

Interview Question – Which Facebook product would you improve and how?   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of one phone interview followed by onsite interview. Everyone was good to talk to and would always give you hints if you are stuck. Generally speaking, they dont talk much about what work or experience you might have. Their questions are more focused on what they would like to see in the candidate. Overall it was an average interview with general Database related questions.

Interview Question – They make you sign a NDA so I cannot post any interview questions here.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in May 2013.

Interview Details – An initial phone call from a recruited started off the process. There were two 30 minute phone interviews, one on SQL, and one on facebook itself. Following the phone interviews an on-site interview was set up. The on-site interview was five interviews in a row - very quick, and very technical. Throughout the process the recruiter was in contact via email and phone, making it a very easy process.

Interview Question – Probability theory questions - specifically on Bayes theorem   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – There were a number of different stages:
1. HR screen. They asked pretty basic stuff - behavioral questions and my knowledge about Facebook.
2. 1st Round interview - phone. Spoke with a product analyst. They wanted to gauge my analytical skills and asked basic SQL questions.
3. 2nd round interview - phone. Same thing largely, except with a PA manager and more advanced SQL questions. With these questions, they were sharing a screen, and having me type out SQL commands in response to their questions to explore data about business problems.
4. Full loop - in person. Went to Menlo Park for a full loop. Again, this involved a litany of questions about Facebook, ideas for the company, and heaps more SQL questions.

Interview Question – Pick one of the following Facebook products: Newsfeed, Photos, Mobile, Timeline.
a. Define a database schema to support the product and related analytics.
b. What are the 5 most import metrics for performance of the product?
  View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook Product Analyst interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.