Facebook

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume online and contacted a recruiter with whom I had spoken a few years before. Two phone interviews, one problem-solving/fit-based (design metrics, experiments to test a new feature, etc) and one more technical (algorithms, coding). Came on-site for a full day of interviews, ranging from technical (SQL, probabilities) to problem-solving/analysis process, to culture and fit (why do you want to work at Facebook)? The interview process moved VERY fast.

Interview Question – Given access to all the data Facebook collects, what would you do with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated to match other offers that I had seen

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2013.

Interview Details – My process was triggered by an employee referral from a former colleague and a competing interview process with Google (which has a remarkably similar process). For all interviews, feedback was received within one business day.

Phone interview 1 - Basic recruiter phone screen asking about why you want to work there and some ideas you have to improve Facebook products.

Phone interview 2 - Technical interview phone screen asking a series of probability and technical interviews performed in collabedit, a desktop sharing tool. The difficulty of the questions increases as you prove your competence and was more difficult technically than I experienced with Google.

Phone interview 3 - General analytics phone screen with questions about previous analytics experience and background. There are some analytics case questions both in general and regarding Facebook to see the way you think.

On site interviews - I had 4 on site interviews in the Menlo Park office that were performed by analytics managers and a product manager. The interviews all asked a lot of questions and ranged from behavioral questions to very specific technical ones. The behavioral ones focused on handling difficult scenarios like when you are unsure of data integrity or naming your proudest accomplishments from your last jobs. The interview with the product manager was by far my most difficult and asked extremely specific business questions that you might work on in a given day.

After the interviews are complete, you get a verbal lead from the recruiter indicates how feedback is going, followed by a verbal offer a few days later and a written one.

Interview Question – It focused on a specific testing case so I do not feel comfortable sharing but it focused on the trade-offs in cannibalizing by showing "people you may know" versus an ad. Make sure to think about those corner cases like when you are in a test cells and your friend is not and what experience to show to each user.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is opportunity to negotiate a big but the offer was so much better than my current salary and Google's offer that I did not move anything other than my start date.

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2011.

Interview Details – HR is very helpful and informative. They keep everyone in the loop throughout the process. They present the company very well and are encouraging. If they don't think you're a good fit for a position, they generally will look at other positions that you may fit well and automatically consider you for that.

Interview Question – You have two trains heading for each other at rate x and y, you have a bird that flies at speed Z back and forth between the front of the heads, how far did the bird travel until the trains met.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook Product Analytics interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.