Facebook

Updated Dec 14, 2014

3.6

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter by email. After an initial chat over the phone with the recruiter, I interviewed with two different designers over the phone. The first reviewed my work, went over why I made certain decisions, and spoke a little about the projects at Facebook. The second was a critique of a mobile app that you both have on your phone.

If they invite you onsite for a full day, you'll speak with a handful of designers and managers. You'll present your latest and greatest portfolio projects in 30 minutes. Then you split up into 1-on-1 interviews with people from the panel. Each piece is different. You'll dive deeper into a portfolio project. Another session may ask you to redesign a remote control. You'll also critique a mobile app again and be asked about how you'll go about figuring out strategy for a redesign. For lunch, someone will take you around the campus and let you ask any questions.

Overall, the process left me wanting to learn more about the company. The entire day is very casual — they do a great job making sure the candidate feels comfortable and in their element.

Interview Questions
  • How would you redesign the remote control? You're left with scoping the redesign.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I saw Facebook had portfolio review time after the conference at out school, so I submitted my site. Luckily got selected, and a product designer talked with me for 15 mins after the conference. Couple days later, I receive an email about their interest in second phone interview. All the email are replied very fast and smoothly. During the phone interview, we talked about apple calendar app, google calendar a little. I didn't get the offer, but the experience was pretty nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

A group of Product Designers came to my school and I got the chance to get my Portfolio reviewed by one of the Designers, she liked my work and few days later I got an e-mail asking if I would be interested in a formal job interview with Facebook.

It was a two-hour phone interview with to different Product Design Managers.

First interview was about my own work, and the key there is to know the in and outs of your work, you have to be able to defend all your design choices.

Second interview was about a random Mobile Application, I got the Twitter Mobile Application, the key here is to come up with a solution for some of the features, or missing features, and backup your possible solution with data. Here they are really trying to find out how you think, and how good you are finding multiple solutions to a certain problem.

Interview Questions
    • Finding a problem on the spot to a mobile application like Twitter that is used by millions of people a day and has a huge team working on it every day to make it perfect.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Had three phone interviews. The first was with the HR recruiter. The second was with a product designer and we discussed my work. The third was with another product designer and we critiqued an app / service.

Interview Questions
    • Critiquing an unknown app / service during the third interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

Got in contact with a lead designer, who referred me to a HR Recruiter.
    I interviewed over the phone with two designers and then flew into Menlo Park for a set of onsite interviews. The time at menlo was nice, they covered expenses and took good care of me.
    All in all, the people were very friendly, and the process was well explained.

Product Designer Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter and met for first round of interviews where we briefly went over my portfolio. The format was they interview me first, then I interview them. Afterwards I received a follow-up email and after some scheduling difficulties did a phone interview where I was asked to critique a mobile app.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the most surprising questions were the ones they didn't ask. I wasn't asked about the thinking behind my work and more about the kind of work I was doing. It was very focused on features of the design and less about the big picture thinking around the design.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter then screened by him for 45 minutes. After that 2 other 45 minute phone calls, one reviewing a popular app the other going over my work. I was then asked to fly out to Menlo Park and spend a day at FB HQ where I first presented my work to the group that would then individually interview me for about 45 minutes each.

Everyone was extremely friendly and insightful. I actually had a great time talking design with everyone involved, it was like chatting design with close friends. They were very prepared and helped me be myself the whole time through. I would suggest to get tons of rest the night before, excitement can get exhausting towards the end.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you to design a very simple thing. Be prepared to innovate on the spot.   Answer Question
    The recruiter is your bff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Applied through requiters visiting my college. Met with an alumna who was currently an employee. We had a very relaxed and productive conversation about design as a whole, working at Facebook, and my work. I was contacted a few days later about a follow up interview. The requiter was always helpful and kind. Spoke to a woman on the marketing team in an hour long phone interview. She seemed cold, but possibly was trying to show no inflection in her voice to keep the interview neutral. She asked about a few specific projects in my portfolio, and asked follow up questions on how I would adjust the design based on different hypothetical criteria.

Was contacted around a week later from my requiter notifying me that I would not be moving forward with the process. I asked for a follow up conversation to get feedback, which was granted. During that conversation, I was told my main reason for being passed on was that I did not have enough experience. This struck a chord with me because the whole time they were pitching at my college, they said they were only looking for people with potential.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze the iPhone 'folder' mechanism for grouping apps and suggest ways it could be improved.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

First meet at a job affair, the interviewer will ask you to talk about your portfolio and ask you some questions. Second, for the phone interview, the interviewer will ask you to talk about yourself and your recent projects.

I get another offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in May 2012.

The interview process was really long (over a month). A recruiter first contacted me, and then I had three phone interviews. Each of them were about 30-45 minutes long. The last interview was on-site at Facebook HQ with about eight product designers, and it lasted about four hours total. The entire group reviewed my portfolio work, and then smaller groups of them asked me questions.

Interview Questions
    • During the on-site interview, they asked me how would redesign the features/functionality of a television remote control.   Answer Question