Facebook

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.6

Product Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I was asked to do a phone screen with the recruiter. For the phone screen, I did a mistake. I was researching on google what they would want to know and thought they would want to hear about my work. So I focused so much on polishing the detail of the work, but it turned out the 1st phone screening is more general, and he was asking more general questions, which I didn't quite enjoy. I know I didn't do the good job, but feel a little awkward that I got screened by the recruiter, not by the designer.

Interview Questions
  • What's your motivation to work?/ Facebook product designer is like a general list. It's combination of visual designer and ux designer. Within this spectrum, how do you want to define?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Product Design Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

I got phone interview 3 weeks after applying for the job position. The recruiter was friendly but she has lack of knowledge about the job position. It was general phone interview starting from introducing myself and work.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

I had an on-campus interview (portfolio review) that was followed by a product critique over the phone that came many weeks later (their interviewing schedule was evidently full). I was invited onsite after this, where I presented my portfolio to a group of five or six designers and managers before having one-on-one interviews with the same group. These interviews included another portfolio review and another product critique, as well as a design challenge and a more behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • The design challenge was meant to be a team effort with the interviewer, but I pretty much felt on my own.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

For such a large company, Facebook moves fast. I started talking to them end of October and received an offer in mid November. This is an unusually fast and fantastic pace for such a large company!

The process was simple starting with a phone call from a hiring manager. Then I spoke to a recruiter which went over the next couple steps: 1) portfolio walk through (phone call), 2) product critique (phone call), 3) onsite interview where I spoke to about 5 different designers and product managers across the organization. I ended my onsite interview with a nice campus tour and some ice cream which sealed the deal for me. About 4 days later I got a call from the recruiter letting me know the details of the offer and start dates available. It was that fast! I joined two weeks later.

The entire process was probably one of the best interview processes I had ever been through. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful throughout.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to critique any iPhone app together during the onsite.   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Recruiter found me at a Facebook-sponsored workshop at my university. We did a brief phone chat, followed by 3 phone interviews -- the first 2 were with product designers, and the last was with a product manager. Everyone was incredibly nice. They were a bit slow to get back to me during the scheduling process, but were very considerate and apologetic.

1.) The first interview we talked about my design work. It was pretty standard.

2.) The second interview was a live critique about an existing app (my interviewer chose Yelp).

3.) The last interview, with a design manager, was also about my previous design work, talking through some of the problems that I came up against and how I solved them.

All three were very friendly and the tone was conversational and laid back. It seemed like they normally only do 2 interviews (the first and second one), but at the last minute they asked if they could do a third one with me with a design manager. Perhaps the first two interviewers had difficulty deciding whether or not they wanted to hire me?

Interview Questions
    • "Most difficult or unexpected question?" Not really applicable..   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

My time interviewing with Facebook was one of the best recruiting experiences I've ever had. Everyone was kind and supportive through the process, and the atmosphere was generally comfortable.

I attended a Facebook event at my university. I started off with two brief portfolio reviews, followed by 1 interview to critique an app. After that, I was brought on site to knock out 5 interviews with current product designers and a product design manager.

In my process, I found it important to focus not just on the experience in the context of the projects that you're showing, but also in your interactions with the team. Listen carefully and think through your design decisions in the exercises. Demonstrate your empathy and understanding of the product space. Prepare yourself well! The onsite interview is very exhilarating and intensive so make sure you're well rested before a day of great conversations.

Interview Questions
    • What other approaches did you try out in your projects?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter by email. After an initial chat over the phone with the recruiter, I interviewed with two different designers over the phone. The first reviewed my work, went over why I made certain decisions, and spoke a little about the projects at Facebook. The second was a critique of a mobile app that you both have on your phone.

If they invite you onsite for a full day, you'll speak with a handful of designers and managers. You'll present your latest and greatest portfolio projects in 30 minutes. Then you split up into 1-on-1 interviews with people from the panel. Each piece is different. You'll dive deeper into a portfolio project. Another session may ask you to redesign a remote control. You'll also critique a mobile app again and be asked about how you'll go about figuring out strategy for a redesign. For lunch, someone will take you around the campus and let you ask any questions.

Overall, the process left me wanting to learn more about the company. The entire day is very casual — they do a great job making sure the candidate feels comfortable and in their element.

Interview Questions
    • How would you redesign the remote control? You're left with scoping the redesign.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

A group of Product Designers came to my school and I got the chance to get my Portfolio reviewed by one of the Designers, she liked my work and few days later I got an e-mail asking if I would be interested in a formal job interview with Facebook.

It was a two-hour phone interview with to different Product Design Managers.

First interview was about my own work, and the key there is to know the in and outs of your work, you have to be able to defend all your design choices.

Second interview was about a random Mobile Application, I got the Twitter Mobile Application, the key here is to come up with a solution for some of the features, or missing features, and backup your possible solution with data. Here they are really trying to find out how you think, and how good you are finding multiple solutions to a certain problem.

Interview Questions
    • Finding a problem on the spot to a mobile application like Twitter that is used by millions of people a day and has a huge team working on it every day to make it perfect.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I saw Facebook had portfolio review time after the conference at out school, so I submitted my site. Luckily got selected, and a product designer talked with me for 15 mins after the conference. Couple days later, I receive an email about their interest in second phone interview. All the email are replied very fast and smoothly. During the phone interview, we talked about apple calendar app, google calendar a little. I didn't get the offer, but the experience was pretty nice.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Had three phone interviews. The first was with the HR recruiter. The second was with a product designer and we discussed my work. The third was with another product designer and we critiqued an app / service.

Interview Questions
    • Critiquing an unknown app / service during the third interview.   Answer Question