Facebook

Updated Dec 14, 2014

3.6

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
(These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
  • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Incredibly exhausting single-day set of product interviews (with six people) starting at 9am and ending around 5pm. Extremely smart people and I really enjoyed the conversations. They give product managers a lot of responsibility.

Interview Questions
    • Run of the mill questions about engineering and wireframing. Had to talk about projecting the future.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

I had applied for a Rotational Product Manager position through a employee referral. The recruiter was pretty quick in getting back to me. The first call was with the recruiter and the questions were pretty basic - tell me something about yourself, why Facebook etc. She also asked me which products in Facebook would I like to work on and if there is anything I would like to change in any of the products. At the end of the call she said she would set up a phone interview and told me that the interview would be "Product Sense" interview. More of how to design a product and what choices I would make in the process.
    The phone interview was 45 mins. The first 10 mins was more of introductions. The question was - how would you improve Facebook birthdays, and the follow up questions included what metrics would you use to measure the successful launch of your product, how would you prioritize your features.

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Initial screening and interview overview, then two phone calls with two PMs: on either product sense, execution, and/or leadership. If you move on from phone calls, you end up doing an onsite with three additional PMs who screen for the above mentioned three categories.

Interview Questions
    • What are some products that you are currently excited about and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn. He was overly enthusiastic and was over selling FB!

I didn't have a phone interview. It was in person with a couple of product managers.

Recruiter walked me through the campus and talked about how great FB is. Then walked me into a tiny little conference room with a table and 2 chairs. The room was very small and uncomfortable. Felt very suffocated.

I interviewed with 2 product managers.

Questions were in the area of growth and analytics. Not hard but it helps to understand their POV because they are looking to understand how you answer the questions vs what your answer is.

I got the sense that they like to hire people in their 20s. I also learned from the recruiter that there aren't any women in Product Management. Seems like its a boys club and tough to get through !

I was very disappointed by the tone of the interview and overall both interviewers were full of themselves.

Interview Questions
    • What are the analytics you will track to increase usage?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Was referred through a friend with a relatively powerful position at the company, since his company was acquired by Facebook. My first point of contact as an employee referral program recruiter. There seemed to be some confusion as to who I was. At first they rejected my application without an explanation, but when I explained my situation they apologized and passed me on to a different recruiter. I had one phone interview with them and they said they weren't interested.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think was Facebook's interest in acquiring Oculus Rift?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

My first, and second-round interviews were at HQ. Facebook has three types of interviews: Product Sense, Product Execution, and Leadership.

My first round interview I met with two people, one for Product Sense, and one for Product Execution.

My second round interview I met with three people, one for each category. Yes, Product Sense, and Product Execution interviews are done twice.

Product Sense: this interview revolves around questions like "What would you build?" "Suppose we wanted to improve the photos experience." The interviews are trying to get at your sense from product.

Product Execution: here, questions like "Newsfeed engagement has decreased 2% week-over-week. why?" or "You're sitting with a data analyst, and you know there's a mobile problem in our new release. What would you ask him?"

Leadership: here the FB team is trying to figure out if you're inspiring, if you work well with others--it's a behavioral interview. Be expected to answer questions such as "Tell me about a time when you experienced a challenge building a product. What did you do?" or "What's your biggest accomplishment?"

Interview Questions
    • I don't think there are any very difficult questions. You should always ask clarifying questions if something is not clear. I had to ask many clarifying questions.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

The process was pleasant and everyone was very nice and smart. I had a phone interview, a week went by and I had a second. Three weeks then passed so I emailed the recruiter and an onsite was scheduled.

1st Phone Interview: Product Sense, questions about how I would solve a hypothetical problem. For example, if FB wanted to build a new recruiting tool, how would I go about testing my hypothesis and verifying my problem identification and solution.

2nd Phone Interview: This one was termed "Execution", which I interpreted as assigning values to features and the process I would go through to vet a feature's or product's value. Turned out it was all about analytics and metrics: "How would you decide whether to show a friend suggestion in the FB news feed every ten feed items versus an advertisement?" "What are the trade-offs etc?" A lot of the interview focused on relative trade-offs and comparisons. I felt I did really badly but then got the onsite and final round invite.

Onsite/Final Round: First interview focused again on Product Sense - "how would I change the news feed?", "what new feature would I build?". The second interview focused on leadership, "tell me about a time_____", and was designed to assess my ability to influence people and inspire. The third interview was back to Execution. I was asked to point out UI changes in the current app and use the whiteboard to graph examples of how metrics I would roll out of bed and want to look at would look.

Overall, the experience was positive though the process was extremely lengthy considering there was no offer. After my final interview I was told I'd know within three days. Two weeks went by so I called and left the recruiter a voice-mail. Another week and a half went by so I emailed and finally got the "thanks but no thanks" (though worded very nicely and appropriately).

Interview Questions
    • They're really looking for a "package deal" so no one question stood out as being really difficult. It's very important to ask clarifying questions if you don't understand something. I made the mistake of making assumptions that weren't justified and should have been more assertive in asking for more information or for clarification.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter who didn't seem to be very interested in me. They were rushing me off the phone, and it felt very much like I had been talking to a telemarketer.

I had two of phone interviews with two PMs. They were very friendly people, but it did seem like they kept trying to summarize my answers for me (mansplaining anyone?). One of them tried to "grade" an answer on the spot, saying I got all the answers right except one item....and it turns out I did say that. Perhaps he didn't hear me, and I didn't want to correct him (I was already being mansplained to death).

Not sure I am convinced FB is doing much to increase or help diversity on their end, judging from this interview process.

You should study the questions here on Glassdoor. Many of the questions here are what was asked of me on my phone interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Great interview process, recruiters and interviewers. The recruiter does a prep session with you beforehand that is very handy. They basically want to ensure a candidate does his best. I didn't do well on the interviews, but this is entirely my fault (FB did a great job to help me prepare). I connected with a recruiter through linkedin, i had a phone screen with a recruiter and then was brought in for 1st round of onsite interview - 2 interviews (one on Product and one on Execution) in the Seattle office. I wasn't called back for the second round.

Interview Questions
    • - Design a product to help people find apartments
      - Investigate a Metric anomaly

Answer Question