Facebook

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – My first, and second-round interviews were at HQ. Facebook has three types of interviews: Product Sense, Product Execution, and Leadership.

My first round interview I met with two people, one for Product Sense, and one for Product Execution.

My second round interview I met with three people, one for each category. Yes, Product Sense, and Product Execution interviews are done twice.

Product Sense: this interview revolves around questions like "What would you build?" "Suppose we wanted to improve the photos experience." The interviews are trying to get at your sense from product.

Product Execution: here, questions like "Newsfeed engagement has decreased 2% week-over-week. why?" or "You're sitting with a data analyst, and you know there's a mobile problem in our new release. What would you ask him?"

Leadership: here the FB team is trying to figure out if you're inspiring, if you work well with others--it's a behavioral interview. Be expected to answer questions such as "Tell me about a time when you experienced a challenge building a product. What did you do?" or "What's your biggest accomplishment?"

Interview Question – I don't think there are any very difficult questions. You should always ask clarifying questions if something is not clear. I had to ask many clarifying questions.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a recruiter who didn't seem to be very interested in me. They were rushing me off the phone, and it felt very much like I had been talking to a telemarketer.

I had two of phone interviews with two PMs. They were very friendly people, but it did seem like they kept trying to summarize my answers for me (mansplaining anyone?). One of them tried to "grade" an answer on the spot, saying I got all the answers right except one item....and it turns out I did say that. Perhaps he didn't hear me, and I didn't want to correct him (I was already being mansplained to death).

Not sure I am convinced FB is doing much to increase or help diversity on their end, judging from this interview process.

You should study the questions here on Glassdoor. Many of the questions here are what was asked of me on my phone interviews.

Interview Question – Nothing seemed particularly difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process was pleasant and everyone was very nice and smart. I had a phone interview, a week went by and I had a second. Three weeks then passed so I emailed the recruiter and an onsite was scheduled.

1st Phone Interview: Product Sense, questions about how I would solve a hypothetical problem. For example, if FB wanted to build a new recruiting tool, how would I go about testing my hypothesis and verifying my problem identification and solution.

2nd Phone Interview: This one was termed "Execution", which I interpreted as assigning values to features and the process I would go through to vet a feature's or product's value. Turned out it was all about analytics and metrics: "How would you decide whether to show a friend suggestion in the FB news feed every ten feed items versus an advertisement?" "What are the trade-offs etc?" A lot of the interview focused on relative trade-offs and comparisons. I felt I did really badly but then got the onsite and final round invite.

Onsite/Final Round: First interview focused again on Product Sense - "how would I change the news feed?", "what new feature would I build?". The second interview focused on leadership, "tell me about a time_____", and was designed to assess my ability to influence people and inspire. The third interview was back to Execution. I was asked to point out UI changes in the current app and use the whiteboard to graph examples of how metrics I would roll out of bed and want to look at would look.

Overall, the experience was positive though the process was extremely lengthy considering there was no offer. After my final interview I was told I'd know within three days. Two weeks went by so I called and left the recruiter a voice-mail. Another week and a half went by so I emailed and finally got the "thanks but no thanks" (though worded very nicely and appropriately).

Interview Question – They're really looking for a "package deal" so no one question stood out as being really difficult. It's very important to ask clarifying questions if you don't understand something. I made the mistake of making assumptions that weren't justified and should have been more assertive in asking for more information or for clarification.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – I went to a career fair, and drop my resume at the Facebook's Booth, I received an email from the recruiter saying that my CV was a good one. The email, gave me the steps I would have need to go through to the following day it was actually a small preparation from Facebook before the actual interview.

Interview Question – I was asked to imagine a problem I see in the product of my choice   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiters were very good, personable and open and honest and felt like they were on your side. The interviews were 30-45 mins each and interactive. Lots of exploratory questions and brainstorming ideas and scenarios. It was a very enjoyable experience overall.

Interview Question – Estimate the number of airports in the USA.   View Answer

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a FB recruiter via LinkedIn and had two rounds of interviews. The first round was with two PMs and the second with three more.

Each interview focused on one particular subject, such as:

- Logic. Estimate something, such as how many email messages are sent in a day worldwide via mobile devices. Identify the most important factors when determining whether product X is successful or not. They want to see that you can think quantitatively and have a clear thought process.

- Vision. Imagine an industry 10 years out (transportation, local commerce, fashion, etc.) and describe it. This was the interview I most enjoyed, as it's really about brainstorming and thinking BIG. The key is to identify trends and have a framework for evaluating what could be.

- Design. Typical PM stuff -- design a new feature or product. What's the framework for identifying needs and segments. Identify solutions and priorities. Draw rough wireframes.

- Cultural Fit. Are you a good person? Will you fit with other FBers? They ask you typical interview questions here like: why do you want to work at FB, what would you most want to work on, etc.

Overall the PMs are exceptionally nice and really tried to make our meetings more like conversations rather than interviews. Honestly I wasn't sure about joining FB before I interviewed but was convinced during the course of the interviews by the really smart and nice guys I met during the process.

The process was relatively quick -- from the time of first contact to the offer was about a month. Overall, one of the best interview processes I've been through, and props to the Facebook PM management for actively training their PMs on how to interview!

Interview Question – Let's say you wanted to build the world's most popular mobile messaging product, and you needed to estimate how much network bandwidth would be used in a year. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview Details – Great interview process, recruiters and interviewers. The recruiter does a prep session with you beforehand that is very handy. They basically want to ensure a candidate does his best. I didn't do well on the interviews, but this is entirely my fault (FB did a great job to help me prepare). I connected with a recruiter through linkedin, i had a phone screen with a recruiter and then was brought in for 1st round of onsite interview - 2 interviews (one on Product and one on Execution) in the Seattle office. I wasn't called back for the second round.

Interview Question – - Design a product to help people find apartments
- Investigate a Metric anomaly
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Product Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I had three phone interviews, and then was flown out to Menlo park for three on-site interviews. Interviewers asked very detailed questions and often challenged you on your answers. Recruiters were prompt and the process moved quickly but I didn't get much background before the interviews. It was a difficult but positive interview process.

Interview Question – Walk me through how you would design an app   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – First an interview phone screen with a very knowledgable, followed by two phone interviews with current Facebook PMs. All the questions probed into how you thought about understanding users, features, technologies, and the vision you had for building things. People are friendly and smart but will definitely push you to justify your responses and be thoughtful.

They very much want to see how you think rather than have you talk about your CV.

There are specific interviews during the final on-site round covering (1) analytics, (2) usability and design, and (3) vision --e.g. what would you want to build if time/resources were not a constraint

Interview Question – If you were at Facebook, what would you build?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details – Referred through a friend, phone interview first. Asked facebook product related questions, why facebook, why PM, normal stuff. Then skipped second phone screen to onsite interviews. 3 interviews, 1 logic based, 1 future trends based, and 1 product design based. The logic one was tricky but can be cracked with a little more prep.

Interview Question – What would you do if Mark Z. asked you to investigate whether we should switch from low-res images to hi-res images for the whole app?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook Product Manager interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.