Facebook Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

3.5

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Got a referral through an employee and got a screen with a recruiter. After a conversation, was invited for the first onsite as a local hire. Recruiter prepared me for structure, which tests for product sense and execution.

The day of, I got 2 pairs of interviewers back to back, with 1 shadowing each main interviewer. Some questions below. I was surprised by the amount of behavioral questions that I minimized preparation for, focusing on case questions. One of the interviewers seemed to have a preset notion of an answer he wanted to hear and was stunned that I actually asked structured questions. I got nervous from lack of feedback and sort of botched my answer. So I wound up doing well on one but needing some more prep for the other interview.

The good part is that you can study up and try again.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I got a call out of the blue from Facebook after radio silence for 9 months.

The much vaunted onsite interview process consisted of 3 interviews around Product Sense, Execution and Leadership.

The culture at Facebook seemed rather bro-grammy. This is an outsiders perspective on the lack of gender diversity on the floor I was interviewing on. There wasn't even one token woman on the panel and the questions were geared towards "quick, show us how smart you are".

The questions themselves have been detailed on Glassdoor before and include "favorite FB feature", " redesign events", etc. Typically these are a lot of fun if it's a dialogue rather than a rapid-fire "I'm so smart, I'm just going to listen to the sound of my voice rather than what you are saying"

Needless to say, it was off-putting. I walked away with the impression that this wouldn't be a place where I could thrive or be more than a small cog in a large wheel or have my opinions respected at One Hacker Way.

I would like to refer Facebook to the First Round post on how Etsy grew its female engineers over 500% with carefully avoidance of bias during interviews.

Interview Questions

• What feature do you like about Facebook ? How would you improve it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Facebook in Feb'15. I first had a brief screening with a recruiter, followed by two phone interviews, each 45 minutes long and then an onsite with 3 back to back interviews each 45 min long.

I had applied to FB directly and got a call from the recruiter. The recruiter was super helpful throughout each step of the process. In the initial call, he asked me basic questions about my previous job and why I wanted to join Facebook.

Phone Interviews:
    As many have already mentioned, FB PM interviews fall into 3 categories: 1. Product Design (PD), 2. Product Sense (PS) and 3. Leadership&Drive (LD) interviews.

My first phone interview was PD interview where the interviewer stated by asking which feature I was most proud of. Then he followed up with how would you improve that feature. Then he asked me how would I design FB for blind people. Lastly, he invited me to ask few questions of him.

My second phone interview was PS. Here FB is trying to get a sense of how good you are at understanding metrics and making tradeoffs amongst different metrics. My first question was if you are the PM for FB Pages, then how would you decide what goals and roadmap to have 1 year out. Then the interviewer asked me how would I do it for 50 years out. He also asked me to go into some detail of why I chose the metrics that I chose and how would I improve them (roadmap part). Next, he asked me the following question: Let us say you are sitting with a mobile analyst whom you can ask any question. You are looking at DAU data across the world and notice that there has been a jump of 5% compared to yesterday in Indonesia. What would you ask the analyst? Lastly, I was given 15 min to ask questions.
    This interview lasted almost 70 min though it was supposed to be for 45 min.

Both interviewers guided me / gave me hints when I got stuck or asked relevant questions for solving the problems given to me.

After the phone interview, recruiter called up after 3-4 days to let me know that I have moved to onsite round. He also gave me feedback on what I did well on and what needed improvement to succeed in next round. This was super helpful as I focused my energies on addressing the areas for improvement.

Onsite Interview:
    I had 3 onsite interviews, each 45 min long, starting at 10am. In each of the interviews, there was a shadow interviewer too, so in all, I met 6 people during the interviews. Shadow interviewers decision/vote does not count in the hiring process, I was told.

First was PD, followed by LD and lastly PS.
    PD: What app FB should build next? How would you improve a FB app of your choice. I had a really good discussion with PM on all the questions.

PS: I do not remember the details of this interview except that I did not do it so well.

LD: This was behavioural interview with examples from my previous job. Here they are looking for how self aware you are, what is your leadership style, how do you handle failures and how good are you at accepting mistakes.

After the interviews were over, another FB PM took me to lunch (while my interviewers met to discuss if they needed a 4th interview). Recruiter had told me that sometimes when they want to dig deeper into anything, they might schedule a 4th interview. The PM who took me to lunch had 4 interviews. Thankfully, I did not have 4th interview.

All the interviewers were very courteous, down to earth and I had a very pleasant experience.

Recruiter call me about 5 days later to let me know that I had the offer. He also gave me feedback on what went well and what didnt (PS).

Focus on following:
    1. Tie everything back to FB's vision.
    2. Always start with goal and user personas, followed by defining needs/pain points and then feature design.
    3. I practiced/'solved' all the questions listed on glassdoor FB PM interviews, which helped me immensely. While almost all questions were new, but the pattern was same. The more you practice the questions the better you become at thinking on your feet during the interview and following the PM thought process without much stumbling.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter called me. Sent resume. Never heard back from hiring manager. Unfortunately they flaked on me during the process and never bothered to follow up in spite of their initial interest. I am really not sure what happened as they told me the team was on vacation so why would you waste a candidate time if you are not going to even give them an interview?

Interview Questions

• They have a canned list of pre-interview questions on innovation and so forth.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Incredibly exhausting single-day set of product interviews (with six people) starting at 9am and ending around 5pm. Extremely smart people and I really enjoyed the conversations. They give product managers a lot of responsibility.

Interview Questions

• Run of the mill questions about engineering and wireframing. Had to talk about projecting the future.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Interview

I had applied for a Rotational Product Manager position through a employee referral. The recruiter was pretty quick in getting back to me. The first call was with the recruiter and the questions were pretty basic - tell me something about yourself, why Facebook etc. She also asked me which products in Facebook would I like to work on and if there is anything I would like to change in any of the products. At the end of the call she said she would set up a phone interview and told me that the interview would be "Product Sense" interview. More of how to design a product and what choices I would make in the process.
    The phone interview was 45 mins. The first 10 mins was more of introductions. The question was - how would you improve Facebook birthdays, and the follow up questions included what metrics would you use to measure the successful launch of your product, how would you prioritize your features.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Initial screening and interview overview, then two phone calls with two PMs: on either product sense, execution, and/or leadership. If you move on from phone calls, you end up doing an onsite with three additional PMs who screen for the above mentioned three categories.

Interview Questions

• What are some products that you are currently excited about and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn. He was overly enthusiastic and was over selling FB!

I didn't have a phone interview. It was in person with a couple of product managers.

Recruiter walked me through the campus and talked about how great FB is. Then walked me into a tiny little conference room with a table and 2 chairs. The room was very small and uncomfortable. Felt very suffocated.

I interviewed with 2 product managers.

Questions were in the area of growth and analytics. Not hard but it helps to understand their POV because they are looking to understand how you answer the questions vs what your answer is.

I got the sense that they like to hire people in their 20s. I also learned from the recruiter that there aren't any women in Product Management. Seems like its a boys club and tough to get through !

I was very disappointed by the tone of the interview and overall both interviewers were full of themselves.

Interview Questions

• What are the analytics you will track to increase usage?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Interview

Was referred through a friend with a relatively powerful position at the company, since his company was acquired by Facebook. My first point of contact as an employee referral program recruiter. There seemed to be some confusion as to who I was. At first they rejected my application without an explanation, but when I explained my situation they apologized and passed me on to a different recruiter. I had one phone interview with them and they said they weren't interested.

Interview Questions

• What do you think was Facebook's interest in acquiring Oculus Rift?   2 Answers