Facebook

Updated Aug 30, 2014

3.7

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
(These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
  • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

My first, and second-round interviews were at HQ. Facebook has three types of interviews: Product Sense, Product Execution, and Leadership.

My first round interview I met with two people, one for Product Sense, and one for Product Execution.

My second round interview I met with three people, one for each category. Yes, Product Sense, and Product Execution interviews are done twice.

Product Sense: this interview revolves around questions like "What would you build?" "Suppose we wanted to improve the photos experience." The interviews are trying to get at your sense from product.

Product Execution: here, questions like "Newsfeed engagement has decreased 2% week-over-week. why?" or "You're sitting with a data analyst, and you know there's a mobile problem in our new release. What would you ask him?"

Leadership: here the FB team is trying to figure out if you're inspiring, if you work well with others--it's a behavioral interview. Be expected to answer questions such as "Tell me about a time when you experienced a challenge building a product. What did you do?" or "What's your biggest accomplishment?"

Interview Questions
    • I don't think there are any very difficult questions. You should always ask clarifying questions if something is not clear. I had to ask many clarifying questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

The process was pleasant and everyone was very nice and smart. I had a phone interview, a week went by and I had a second. Three weeks then passed so I emailed the recruiter and an onsite was scheduled.

1st Phone Interview: Product Sense, questions about how I would solve a hypothetical problem. For example, if FB wanted to build a new recruiting tool, how would I go about testing my hypothesis and verifying my problem identification and solution.

2nd Phone Interview: This one was termed "Execution", which I interpreted as assigning values to features and the process I would go through to vet a feature's or product's value. Turned out it was all about analytics and metrics: "How would you decide whether to show a friend suggestion in the FB news feed every ten feed items versus an advertisement?" "What are the trade-offs etc?" A lot of the interview focused on relative trade-offs and comparisons. I felt I did really badly but then got the onsite and final round invite.

Onsite/Final Round: First interview focused again on Product Sense - "how would I change the news feed?", "what new feature would I build?". The second interview focused on leadership, "tell me about a time_____", and was designed to assess my ability to influence people and inspire. The third interview was back to Execution. I was asked to point out UI changes in the current app and use the whiteboard to graph examples of how metrics I would roll out of bed and want to look at would look.

Overall, the experience was positive though the process was extremely lengthy considering there was no offer. After my final interview I was told I'd know within three days. Two weeks went by so I called and left the recruiter a voice-mail. Another week and a half went by so I emailed and finally got the "thanks but no thanks" (though worded very nicely and appropriately).

Interview Questions
    • They're really looking for a "package deal" so no one question stood out as being really difficult. It's very important to ask clarifying questions if you don't understand something. I made the mistake of making assumptions that weren't justified and should have been more assertive in asking for more information or for clarification.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter who didn't seem to be very interested in me. They were rushing me off the phone, and it felt very much like I had been talking to a telemarketer.

I had two of phone interviews with two PMs. They were very friendly people, but it did seem like they kept trying to summarize my answers for me (mansplaining anyone?). One of them tried to "grade" an answer on the spot, saying I got all the answers right except one item....and it turns out I did say that. Perhaps he didn't hear me, and I didn't want to correct him (I was already being mansplained to death).

Not sure I am convinced FB is doing much to increase or help diversity on their end, judging from this interview process.

You should study the questions here on Glassdoor. Many of the questions here are what was asked of me on my phone interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

First an interview phone screen with a very knowledgable, followed by two phone interviews with current Facebook PMs. All the questions probed into how you thought about understanding users, features, technologies, and the vision you had for building things. People are friendly and smart but will definitely push you to justify your responses and be thoughtful.

They very much want to see how you think rather than have you talk about your CV.

There are specific interviews during the final on-site round covering (1) analytics, (2) usability and design, and (3) vision --e.g. what would you want to build if time/resources were not a constraint

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

I reached out to my university recruiter and she promptly went through a phone screen with me to learn more about my background and my interest in the role. Towards the end of the conversation, she said she would feel comfortable passing me along to a product manager for a 45 minute phone screen.

The phone screen consisted of culture-fit questions (Why Facebook? What is something interesting about you?) and then moved on to product specific questions (What is your favorite feature of Facebook? How would you improve it?) I would recommend preparing a bit beforehand.

Finally, I was invited to their on-site interview which was probably the most fun PM interview I have had. They have three interviews that are focused on 1) future 2) reasoning and 3) product. Make sure you are structured and can tie everything back to Facebook and their core products.

Overall, I had a fantastic time interviewing here and although it did not work out in the end, the culture is fun, people are great and the campus is unreal!

Interview Questions
    • What is the future of XYZ industry in 5 years? 15 years? How will Facebook factor into that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Facebook really needs to change their interviewing process. It's horrid.

No matter how much experience you have, you won't be asked a single thing about your resume. In fact, nobody will even bring a copy to the interview. I found this disappointing because I have over 10 years of experience at previous companies. I could have been a bumbling idiot at other companies and they would never know.

The Product Manager to Developer ratio is insane. For the group that I talked to there were 5-6 product managers for 200 developers. This 1:40 ratio basically means that product managers are rare unicorns and you won't get a job offer. In fact, look through the product manager interview feedback here and you won't see a single "offer declined" posting.

You will be asked a bunch of quant questions instead. In one interview that I had, the interviewer didn't introduce himself at all and we did 4 case questions in a row over 45 minutes including "How would you determine how to rank posts in the news feed", "How would you determine the negative value of an abusive posting", "How would you calculate the number of daily registrations that Facebook has". They're good questions but wow it's a ton of work.

By far the worst interview questions that I've ever gotten came up with 2 different interviewers here. I'm actually sorry that I didn't do more research online before the interview because these questions are the most easily prepared for. I could have memorized the answers ahead of time. Question was "Pick an industry that will be different in 10 years and how can Facebook be a part of that". It's pretty difficult to be that creative on the spot. I wish I gave the question an hour of thought before coming to the interview.

I was disappointed with the quality of people that I interviewed with considering that Facebook is one of the more recognized names in the business. Product Managers frequently had just 2-3 years of experience.

Interview Questions
    • Pick an industry that will be different in 10 years and how can Facebook be a part of that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in July 2013.

Very capable recruiter who was prompt and always available.

Interview Questions
    • If you were able to work on any product at Facebook (new or existing) what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

Applied online and contacted by recruiter through email a week afterwards and set up phone interview. Before we talked I sent her an email to confirm our call. She replied very shortly and told me that we had already discussed that and to re-read our emails.

When she did call, she immediately started the conversation by saying she didn't have much time to talk which was off putting b/c we specifically chose this time for the interview. Not a conversation at all, felt like I was talking to a robot. Set up another interview for two weeks later b/c she had a work trip the following week and couldn't talk then (which was a total cop out)

Talked to her again for the second phone interview. Not receptive at all. When I told her about my future plans for Facebook she said it wasn't much different from what they have now. (It is, but she was apparently expecting more than my already unconventional ideas).

A week and a half went by with no contact. I emailed her to check in and told me to re-apply the next year. No feedback on why I wasn't selected.

I really don't know why she even contacted me to begin with. Seems like she made up her mind that she wasn't going to hire me from the moment she sent the first snarky email. She was uninformative and unprofessional, rushing our conversations and delaying our contact.

Overall, inauthentic experience with a company of such caliber.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2012.

I was contacted by a FB recruiter via LinkedIn and had two rounds of interviews. The first round was with two PMs and the second with three more.

Each interview focused on one particular subject, such as:

- Logic. Estimate something, such as how many email messages are sent in a day worldwide via mobile devices. Identify the most important factors when determining whether product X is successful or not. They want to see that you can think quantitatively and have a clear thought process.

- Vision. Imagine an industry 10 years out (transportation, local commerce, fashion, etc.) and describe it. This was the interview I most enjoyed, as it's really about brainstorming and thinking BIG. The key is to identify trends and have a framework for evaluating what could be.

- Design. Typical PM stuff -- design a new feature or product. What's the framework for identifying needs and segments. Identify solutions and priorities. Draw rough wireframes.

- Cultural Fit. Are you a good person? Will you fit with other FBers? They ask you typical interview questions here like: why do you want to work at FB, what would you most want to work on, etc.

Overall the PMs are exceptionally nice and really tried to make our meetings more like conversations rather than interviews. Honestly I wasn't sure about joining FB before I interviewed but was convinced during the course of the interviews by the really smart and nice guys I met during the process.

The process was relatively quick -- from the time of first contact to the offer was about a month. Overall, one of the best interview processes I've been through, and props to the Facebook PM management for actively training their PMs on how to interview!

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you wanted to build the world's most popular mobile messaging product, and you needed to estimate how much network bandwidth would be used in a year. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer