Facebook Product Specialist Interview Questions

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

The hiring and interview process went smoothly. I applied online, and I hiring manager got in contact with me via email to set up a phone screening. She asked typical questions about my background and about fb specifically (e.g., what feature did I like the best, favorite mobile app, etc.). She then sent me a challenge to work on and complete within the next week. I passed the challenge, and then set up a call with a member of the team. He asked a lot of open ended questions about how you would prioritize issues at work to what is your dream job. They want to see if you are innovative and a big thinker, but that you also have the background to succeed at the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2013.

Applied to the job through Facebook careers and a recruiter contacted me via email about a week later. I was sent an assignment that I to complete for them to judge whether I was qualified for the job. I was asked to turn it in within the week.

I submitted my answer and within 2 hrs the recruiter wanted to setup a screening call. I setup the call 2-3 days later. The call went fine, no curve balls, mostly about my background and how I'd used metrics/analytics in the past to make product decisions.

He then wanted to setup a call with a team member. I spoke to a manager in the product specialist group about a week later. Again no surprises. Mostly questions about background and how I'd previously done customer development - user-interviews, metrics etc. She had a few questions on how I would decide (using data, feedback etc) to implement a new feature on Facebook.

A couple of days later I was contacted by a HR member to schedule an onsite visit with the team. I was told I would meet up to 6 team-members and talk to them for 30 min each. I scheduled the meeting a week later.

On the day of the interview I met 4 people not 6. They were all managers in different functions within the product specialist team. Most questions were on my background and some analytical questions. Also standard product management questions - e.g. how I would decide between two features, which one to implement. Most of these questions were Facebook centric, i.e. they picked specific Facebook features as examples.

I also spent some time brushing up on my SQL as I figured they would quiz me on that but they didn't. I thought the interviews went pretty well. Nothing I couldn't really answer.

I received an email 4 days later saying I didn't receive the offer. Overall the process was very smooth and the HR team was responsive and helpful. The rejection email was a standard one which said I didn't have the right "background". I don't believe that, as my background was more relevant to the job than some of the guys who interviewed me. I suspect some of it had to do with a lack of "cultural fit" as everyone who interviewed me was about younger than me.

Interview Questions
    • If you came into the office in the morning and saw that a certain feature wasn't working, how would you try to figure out where the problem was.

If 2 facebook functions (pick any 2) went down at the same time, how would you determine which one to work on if you your team had the time and resources to fix one.
        Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

I applied for a position via their online system. I received an email about one week later from the recruiter requesting to speak with me.

The process, from first contact to offer, occurred over 4.5 weeks. I had call with the recruiter first to assess my background and fit for the role. I had calls with the hiring manager and another manager from the group over the following 2 weeks. In the third week, I was invited to the campus for 3 hours of interviews (6 people in total). In the final week, I was given and accepted an offer.

Everyone exhibited their love for the company and their work. And each person was truly genuine, all of the interviews were actually more like conversations.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions about my experience, as well as my input on my likes/dislikes of Facebook products. No surprises, no tricks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

The hiring process was a long one, but surprisingly pleasant. I met with some folks early on with ideas of how to use their current data with a few interesting twists. It peaked their interest and many 'informational' interviews later I had two official screening phone calls and then four in person interviews. I taught myself the basics of MySQL before one interview thinking that this was going to be a prerequisite. That turned out to be a good move.
    My advice would be to approach the interview considering real-world problems, a thoughtful launch plan with concrete data to support it as well as risk and mitigation strategies in case it needs fine-tuning from user feedback. Be quantitative but also imaginative. Facebook has some amazing people, so be prepared to go big, or go home.

Interview Questions
    • How would you assess the amount of unflagged negative content being created on Facebook?   View Answer
    I looked for a relocation package, but since I had already moved out here (crashing on my brother's couch) they declined that. Kind of a bummer, but they were very accommodating with everything else. Honestly, what I'm going to learn outweighs any small differences in salary. So I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook.

I had a screening interview with a recruiter, then a phone interview with someone currently in the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite Facebook feature? What would you do to improve it?   Answer Question

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!