Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 25, 2015

3.4

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (San Francisco, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

It's a tough company to get in. I had to do a recruiter screen, another phone screen with a team member, one in house with 3 team members, and another in house with 2 team members - including the director of the group. Mostly behavior with a few analytical situational questions.

Site Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

day 1 - phone screen with recruiter
    day 2 - met hiring manager and recruiter for lunch interview
    day 3 - met with 5 people individually for 45 min each (15min break before next person)
    day 4 - met with 2 directors individually for 45 min

Recruiter did an excellent job prepping me for the interviews and really moved quickly since I had other offers on the table with other startups.

Interview Questions

• Various SQL programming questions involving white-boarding and query optimization tests.   Answer Question
    • Time when you messed up on a project/task etc and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy and fast

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

The recruiter called up and asked me if I was interested in the job opportunity. The process began with solving a programming problem on InterviewStreet for which I was given 90 minutes to solve. This was followed by a 60 minute telephonic interview. After clearing these two rounds, I was invited onsite and I had to go through 3 face-to-face interviews. The problems were hard algorithmic problems and you are expected to write clean code in the first go. The interviewers were really friendly and helpful. My advice would be that you have confidence in yourself and be as honest in an interview as possible. For practice, you should be well versed with standard algorithmic techniques like dynamic programming, greedy algorithms, solving linear recurrences in logarithmic time, recursion, tree traversals, etc.

Interview Questions

• You are given an integer N and an integer M. You are supposed to write a method void findBestCoinsThatMinimizeAverage(int N, int M) that prints the best collection of N coins that minimize the average number of minimum coins needed to generate values from 1 to M. So, if M = 100, and N = 4, then if we use the set {1, 5, 10, 25} to generate each value from 1 to 100, so that for each value the number of coins are minimized, i.e. 1 = 1 (1 coin), 2 = 1 + 1 (2 coins),..., 6 = 1 + 5 (2 coins), ..., 24 = 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 (8 coins), and we take the average of these coins, we would see that the average comes out to ~5.7. But if we instead use {1, 5, 18, 25}, the average would come out to be 3.7. We are to find that set of N coins, and print them, that produce the minimum average.   7 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. If you have an offer, you can always negotiate. All the rules are meant to be broken but some are hard to break. It would be easy to ask for a higher relocation bonus but difficult to ask for 8 more paid leaves.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter via employee referral. Chose to go on site for initial interview. This was followed by onsite day of interviews a few weeks afterwards (I asked for some time to prepare for coding tests). The second set of interviews comprised of 2 coding tests, one design, one behavioral, lunch with hiring manager and one interview related to my technical specialization. Received offer within a week of final set of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Coding tests were the hardest part for me since I have been out of school for a long time now :) Prepare for questions related to trees, graphs, strings, dynamic programming and practice writing code on paper.   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

The process was pretty spread-out but extremely well coordinated and communicated. Expectations were perfectly managed. Since I was remote, they had me go through a set of 3 phone screenings, each very technical. Passing each phone screen lead to the next, with passing the final round leading to an in-person interview and trip to Menlo Park, CA.

The pictures of the campus there don't do it justice. It's a really surprising environment.

I really can't say enough how awesome their recruiting staff is. They always replied promptly and helpfully, and were awesome to work around my schedule every step along the way.

In the final analysis I just wasn't a good fit for the position - and I even agree with them. After seeing and hearing so much of the cool stuff they do behind the scenes and are working on doing, I am not (yet) qualified for that job. In the end, the thing I felt most qualified in was my big stumble. What I learned was to be on their level, it wasn't enough to have just done what I've done for a long time - that they justifiably want an expert in multiple disciplines.

Their benefits are just absurdly great. Everything they offer is top-notch including their facility in Menlo Park, where the old Sun research campus used to be.

In the end, it was a great experience. I got to go and interview with one of the biggest Internet companies in the world and meet some brilliant people and see just how great their environment is. I realized that in the right environment, I can go head to head with some of the best - and got a quick trip out there to boot!

Interview Questions

• Why wouldn't you want a root DNS server to answer queries for you, instead of delegating you to an authoritative server?   3 Answers
    • For a given set of software checkins, write a program that will determine which part along the branch where the fault lies.   3 Answers

Data Visualization Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

I was approached by an engineer because i had a specific expertise. we talked on skype (i was living in a different continent then) Then he vouched for me as a applied to one job for which i interviewed a couple of times over skype. the outcome was that I was passed on to another recruiter and another department. that second leg of the process took months because while they liked my skillset there wasn't really a position that could match it. eventually while I was in California for another reason I visited them and we had proper interviews (6 back to back interviews for 5 hours) after which I got the job.

Now that I am on the other side what I can attest is that once you enter the pipeline the recruiter is your friend, they are on your side and want you to succeed and they are happy to assist the applicant with anything.

Interview Questions

• several of my interviews were conversational. in that context it's very difficult to guess if you are giving the expected answer or not, that is, if you are going to fit in the culture. Facebook culture which celebrates hackers - unconventional, resourceful and self-sufficient makers, is difficult to guess from the outside but extremely present as soon as you set your foot on campus.   Answer Question

Negotiation

we had discussed money before the interview with the recruiter. I didn't know the bonus etc.
    After I got the offer I asked for extra clauses in my contract which were important to me and which were added without hesitation.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

An initial phone call from a recruited started off the process. There were two 30 minute phone interviews, one on SQL, and one on facebook itself. Following the phone interviews an on-site interview was set up. The on-site interview was five interviews in a row - very quick, and very technical. Throughout the process the recruiter was in contact via email and phone, making it a very easy process.

Interview Questions

• Probability theory questions - specifically on Bayes theorem   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Telephone chat with recruiter followed by an onsite interview. Onsite interview had five 45 minute interview sessions, and all of them were very technical (writing code on the whiteboard or talking about system design).

Interview Questions

• Questions about data structures, graphs, and tree traversal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very good so little negotiating was necessary.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

The overall process took about 4 months from initial contact to date of offer. It started off with a recruiter phone screen to determine which analyst role best fit my background. The second round included an on-site SQL/programming quotient mostly around being creative with SQL to get desired results and interpreting data. Round 3 was focused primarily on analytics and business acumen; specifically around metadata. Round 4, the final, was a combination of SQL, analytics, and probability.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Everyone was edgy when I started seeing people at Facebook, including the receptionists. Granted, job interviews tend to be critical, and we are the people who seemed to be begging for the highly-lucrative job positions.

Then I saw this lady, who gave no self-introduction, no facial interaction, had only super-sharp look or pretended to be, who led me through these cold stairs, picked up a drink, and up to this tiny room, then started asking me questions.

God bless her, turned out she was a software engineer, and may be the domain expert in my field.

OK, so let's move on to programming, by which time I became edgy, too, knowing this lady sitting right behind me, feeling her freezing eyes examining up and down my neck, maybe my hair, too (I am a man). Did she notice my white hair as well?

Anyway, the interview was quick (less than an hour), and I was let go. I knew there won't be any followup. Even if it does, am I willing to experience it again?

What a fast way to ruin a day-off.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come to Facebook?   1 Answer