Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.5

235 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in April 2012.

The recruiter called up and asked me if I was interested in the job opportunity. The process began with solving a programming problem on InterviewStreet for which I was given 90 minutes to solve. This was followed by a 60 minute telephonic interview. After clearing these two rounds, I was invited onsite and I had to go through 3 face-to-face interviews. The problems were hard algorithmic problems and you are expected to write clean code in the first go. The interviewers were really friendly and helpful. My advice would be that you have confidence in yourself and be as honest in an interview as possible. For practice, you should be well versed with standard algorithmic techniques like dynamic programming, greedy algorithms, solving linear recurrences in logarithmic time, recursion, tree traversals, etc.

Interview Questions
    • You are given an integer N and an integer M. You are supposed to write a method void findBestCoinsThatMinimizeAverage(int N, int M) that prints the best collection of N coins that minimize the average number of minimum coins needed to generate values from 1 to M. So, if M = 100, and N = 4, then if we use the set {1, 5, 10, 25} to generate each value from 1 to 100, so that for each value the number of coins are minimized, i.e. 1 = 1 (1 coin), 2 = 1 + 1 (2 coins),..., 6 = 1 + 5 (2 coins), ..., 24 = 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 (8 coins), and we take the average of these coins, we would see that the average comes out to ~5.7. But if we instead use {1, 5, 18, 25}, the average would come out to be 3.7. We are to find that set of N coins, and print them, that produce the minimum average.   View Answers (6)
    I was able to negotiate. If you have an offer, you can always negotiate. All the rules are meant to be broken but some are hard to break. It would be easy to ask for a higher relocation bonus but difficult to ask for 8 more paid leaves.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2012.

I was contacted by recruiter via employee referral. Chose to go on site for initial interview. This was followed by onsite day of interviews a few weeks afterwards (I asked for some time to prepare for coding tests). The second set of interviews comprised of 2 coding tests, one design, one behavioral, lunch with hiring manager and one interview related to my technical specialization. Received offer within a week of final set of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Coding tests were the hardest part for me since I have been out of school for a long time now :) Prepare for questions related to trees, graphs, strings, dynamic programming and practice writing code on paper.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Telephone chat with recruiter followed by an onsite interview. Onsite interview had five 45 minute interview sessions, and all of them were very technical (writing code on the whiteboard or talking about system design).

Interview Questions
    • Questions about data structures, graphs, and tree traversal.   Answer Question
    The offer was very good so little negotiating was necessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Everyone was edgy when I started seeing people at Facebook, including the receptionists. Granted, job interviews tend to be critical, and we are the people who seemed to be begging for the highly-lucrative job positions.

Then I saw this lady, who gave no self-introduction, no facial interaction, had only super-sharp look or pretended to be, who led me through these cold stairs, picked up a drink, and up to this tiny room, then started asking me questions.

God bless her, turned out she was a software engineer, and may be the domain expert in my field.

OK, so let's move on to programming, by which time I became edgy, too, knowing this lady sitting right behind me, feeling her freezing eyes examining up and down my neck, maybe my hair, too (I am a man). Did she notice my white hair as well?

Anyway, the interview was quick (less than an hour), and I was let go. I knew there won't be any followup. Even if it does, am I willing to experience it again?

What a fast way to ruin a day-off.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2010.

It's a tough company to get in. I had to do a recruiter screen, another phone screen with a team member, one in house with 3 team members, and another in house with 2 team members - including the director of the group. Mostly behavior with a few analytical situational questions.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

The overall process took about 4 months from initial contact to date of offer. It started off with a recruiter phone screen to determine which analyst role best fit my background. The second round included an on-site SQL/programming quotient mostly around being creative with SQL to get desired results and interpreting data. Round 3 was focused primarily on analytics and business acumen; specifically around metadata. Round 4, the final, was a combination of SQL, analytics, and probability.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in May 2013.

An initial phone call from a recruited started off the process. There were two 30 minute phone interviews, one on SQL, and one on facebook itself. Following the phone interviews an on-site interview was set up. The on-site interview was five interviews in a row - very quick, and very technical. Throughout the process the recruiter was in contact via email and phone, making it a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    • Probability theory questions - specifically on Bayes theorem   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

The process was pretty spread-out but extremely well coordinated and communicated. Expectations were perfectly managed. Since I was remote, they had me go through a set of 3 phone screenings, each very technical. Passing each phone screen lead to the next, with passing the final round leading to an in-person interview and trip to Menlo Park, CA.

The pictures of the campus there don't do it justice. It's a really surprising environment.

I really can't say enough how awesome their recruiting staff is. They always replied promptly and helpfully, and were awesome to work around my schedule every step along the way.

In the final analysis I just wasn't a good fit for the position - and I even agree with them. After seeing and hearing so much of the cool stuff they do behind the scenes and are working on doing, I am not (yet) qualified for that job. In the end, the thing I felt most qualified in was my big stumble. What I learned was to be on their level, it wasn't enough to have just done what I've done for a long time - that they justifiably want an expert in multiple disciplines.

Their benefits are just absurdly great. Everything they offer is top-notch including their facility in Menlo Park, where the old Sun research campus used to be.

In the end, it was a great experience. I got to go and interview with one of the biggest Internet companies in the world and meet some brilliant people and see just how great their environment is. I realized that in the right environment, I can go head to head with some of the best - and got a quick trip out there to boot!

Interview Questions
    • Why wouldn't you want a root DNS server to answer queries for you, instead of delegating you to an authoritative server?   View Answers (3)
    • For a given set of software checkins, write a program that will determine which part along the branch where the fault lies.   View Answers (3)

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

I reached out to my university recruiter and she promptly went through a phone screen with me to learn more about my background and my interest in the role. Towards the end of the conversation, she said she would feel comfortable passing me along to a product manager for a 45 minute phone screen.

The phone screen consisted of culture-fit questions (Why Facebook? What is something interesting about you?) and then moved on to product specific questions (What is your favorite feature of Facebook? How would you improve it?) I would recommend preparing a bit beforehand.

Finally, I was invited to their on-site interview which was probably the most fun PM interview I have had. They have three interviews that are focused on 1) future 2) reasoning and 3) product. Make sure you are structured and can tie everything back to Facebook and their core products.

Overall, I had a fantastic time interviewing here and although it did not work out in the end, the culture is fun, people are great and the campus is unreal!

Interview Questions
    • What is the future of XYZ industry in 5 years? 15 years? How will Facebook factor into that?   Answer Question

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Recruiter asked specific javascript trivia questions on first phone call, which I was not prepared for.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between == and === javascript   View Answer

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!