Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Sep 18, 2014

3.5

236 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2013.

My application was submitted through an internal referral, and I was contacted by the recruiter within a week. The recruiter was very helpful in providing tips on preparing the interview and the format of the interview.

Even though I didn't get an offer, the overall interview process was very pleasant. Each interviewer is assigned to test on one or two specific skill set of yours. All the coding and design questions are fair interview questions, and the interviewers were all pretty friendly.

I had an additional "practice" interview to prepare an interviewer to learn how to interview. Also, most of the interviews had a shadow interviewer, but this seems to be the norm for all the companies I interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • My interview with a manager, he asked me a real internal problem they have and asked me to propose a solution. The question is really interesting, but I feel it's a bit hard for an outsider to give an answer that's effective and not overly complicated   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Facebook.

HR Screening, then technical Phone interview, based on questions related to Python and SQL

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

This was a very long process. However the recruitment team was extremely helpful in keeping me completely informed at every step of the way (a huge plus).

As a disclaimer, coming from years of working in academic settings I have no point of comparison. These are just my personal impressions.

I was introduced to a recruiter after one of our students started working at Facebook. He was very prompt in getting back to me and setting up a phone call. He then passed my resume to another recruiter (closer to my area of expertise).

Over the next few weeks, I had a number of phone conversations with different people (mostly analytic, coding and statistics type questions.) The recruiter working with me was very prompt in touching base with me after each interview, telling me how they felt about the interview and getting my feedback on how I felt about it. After a few weeks they flew me to Menlo Park for an on site interview.

The on site interview consisted of a series of five 30-minute interviews with project managers, data scientists and software engineers, all of whom were very engaging and interesting people. Talks were 1/4 about my current work, a bit less than 3/4 technical questions they expected me to work through, and a few minutes of time for my questions about the company, its people and processes.

The recruiter reached out to me after the on site interview and scheduled two more phone interview, and an offer was made shortly after the last phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, mostly because they will tell you in detail what to expect in each interview. Coding on a collaborative text editor while doing a phone interview was new to me. I had a lot of typos, and syntax errors the first time I tried it. I'd recommend doing a practice run with a friend just so one gets used to the set up.   Answer Question
    No real negotiations. The offer was very good, and they had wooed me completely with the conduct of their employees.

Quantitative User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Submitted resume online and I was contacted by a recruiter shortly after. Interview process consisted of an initial phone screening with the recruiter, followed by a written (2 page) research proposal that I was given 48 hours to complete. Next up was two separate 1-on-1 phone interviews (~45 minutes each) with members of the research team. The onsite interview consisted of a research proposal/presentation first thing in the morning (~ 1 hour), followed by lunch with my recruiter and four separate 1-on-1 interviews (~45 minutes each) in the afternoon.

My recruiter was incredibly helpful throughout the interview process, and everyone I interviewed with on the phone or met onsite was very friendly and knowledgeable. All of the questions were completely fair game (no trick questions), and the interviews felt more like conversations with peers (e.g., at one point we were brainstorming research ideas and drawing study designs on the whiteboard together).

Overall a very positive experience!

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for a broad range of research questions; details about exactly how you would go about tackling a given project (methods, design, statistical analyses, etc.) and the impact it would have on product.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

The process was:
    - A recruiter contacted me by e-mail. Did the first interview with the recruiter by phone.
    - Then two 1 to 1 interviews during a conference (one with a UX researcher and other with a project manager).
    - 1 research exercise (they sent it to me by e-mail and I had 2 days to solve it)
    - Onsite research presentation on Menlo Park (around 6 people watching it and asking questions in the end)

Interview Questions
    • What would be your research strategy to solve a problem that is important to Facebook.   Answer Question

University Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I have a few friends that work for Facebook and they had been pushing for me to be a part of the company that they enjoy so much. They said I would be the perfect fit. After a few months of back and forth, I got a phone interview but all parties (including my friends) warned me that there wasn't going to be a position available for a few months as they had just hired somebody on their team. Fine...I was comfortable where I was.

The interview was pretty simple as it was just a phone screen. We spoke for about an hour. The conversation was great; Jennifer Armor was lovely and when we hung up, she said, "I am looking forward to welcoming you to Facebook. Lets keep in touch over the next 2 months. Your resume will be at the top of every pile." She also asked me if I would be interested in a Marketing role and that there was an opportunity in product marketing and she would send my resume off if I wanted. She told me to think it over and get back to her. All in all, I thought the interview went GREAT! On top of that, my girlfriend who works for Facebook immediately called me after my interview and said that Jennifer said that it was the "best phone interview she had ever had." Of course I was stoked! I went on to ask my friend her opinion about the marketing role and from her opinion and her advice, we decide that wasn't a good for and I would wait out the role in the recruiting department.

That was about 5 months ago and I have emailed Jennifer to touch base about 4 times with zero response. I am disappointed in the follow through but from what I understand from my friends within the organization, this is common practice. I understand that people are very busy and it's difficult to get back to people but the culture of a company doesn't start when you get hired...I have always been taught in my career that it starts as soon as the interview process has started. If she decided to go in another direction, I completely understand but I don't understand not even responding to an email...especially because I have personal relationships within the company.

Anyway, I still admire fb as a company. I have since found a job that I am happy in the medical device space.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Campus Interview

Interview Questions
    • Convert a binary tree into a circular doubly linked list. The order of the elements in the linked list have to be the order of elements you get when you do an in order traversal of the binary tree.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

I sent my resume in the September job fair and got an on campus interview on October. Less than one week later, I got the onsite interview invitation. I got the offer 3 days after the onsite.

On campus is a 45-minute section. 2 programing questions. Not too hard.
    On site is also a 45-min section.

I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Sent resume through campus career fair. They set up a phone interview within a week. I was called for on-site interviews at Menlo Park after a few days. Three interviews, lunch and campus tour, followed by two tech talks of sorts.

The questions were fairly simple. Basic trees, recursion, order of complexity etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

1 phone round interview and 1 onsite interview. Onsite had 2 coding round interview, 1 manager interview and 1 design interview.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions. It is not up to standard of other companies like google microsoft, amazon, vmware, foursquare, tumblr.

Don't know how they decide with those easy questions. Anyone can write flawless code with those questions. The design round interview was more like a stress interview where the chinese interviewer was shouting.
        View Answer

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!