Facebook

Updated Mar 1, 2015
Updated Mar 1, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

The interview process for me was uberly long. I wasn't planning on applying to Facebook, but a recruiter reached out to me mid-december on LinkedIn. I thought "what the heck, it's a great company" and got back to her the next day, but she was leaving for the XMas break. No more communication until early Jan. Connecting on the phone was a pain, as first she didn't call until 15 minutes after she said she would. I had stopped standing by the phone and went to email her when she did call, so missed it. We emailed and set something up for an hour later. This time she called 30 minutes late. No apologies or anything. Sigh. She advised that I put all of my other interviews before the Facebook one so that I could get practice, and then signed me up for a free interview review course they run. I went and things were all great, so I told them I was ready. Queue another 2 week pause while they tried to answer a question I had asked before scheduling me. When I finally made it onsite for an interview (mid-late feb), I had expected it to be a full day of interviewing, but instead it was a 30 minute screen before I could do the *actual* interview. In all fairness, I should have seen that coming. But anyways, did the screen and got a response before I had even left the parking that they wanted to schedule my full interview. I also got a call from my recruiter that afternoon to give me interview feedback. I thought that was awesome, as most people don't do that. I can't say how useful it was as I had no negative feedback from my interviewers and her advice was just "wow, keep doing whatever you just did!" but it sounds like it could be useful if things don't go perfectly the first time around. Anywho, by this time I had multiple other offers with deadlines on them. I went ahead and scheduled the final round interview for the following week, but ended up canceling the day before as I had decided to go with another company. This seemed to irk my recruiter, despite the fact that she was the one who told me to interview with other companies first and I had been upfront about that and the associated timelines during the whole process. When initial contact and end offer are 2.5 months apart, you can't expect someone to be sitting idle that whole time...

The only reason I still rank this as a positive experience is because I had a secondary recruiter I worked with coordinating onsite logistics (the girl who first contacted me was out of state) and he was awesome. If any of you get the chance, work with Charlie. He's direct and super straight forward and knows that candidates are people with multiple options and treats you as such. I do a lot of mentoring and will certainly be sending any of my mentees who expresses interest in Fbook Charlie's way; he's a real gem.

Interview Questions
    • One of the questions I got was around bit manipulation and built on itself by layers (i.e. how would you do x? ok, say you have a function for x, how would you do this new thing y?). The other question was a modification of a sorting question (i.e. the question itself was sort the array, but there were some parameters on the data type that made things extra fun/not standard sorting algorithm)   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

A recruiter reached out to discuss a position that
    may be a good fit with my skillset. It started with a
    phone interview followed up with a code review interview.
    The process took about 10 days.

The interview questions were not difficult, some with
    several answers. Unix Process, networking, tcp/ip stack,
    and system administrative commands.

The process was casual, I did notice before the interviews
    even started. Their coordination was awkward, after receiving
    numerous misspelled emails and wrong phone numbers. I was a
    little leery of working for them. Nonetheless, I continued
    with the 45-min code review interview and answered the question.

Overall, the interviews were comparable to other companies. Also,
    they were efficient with their responses and answering questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sentence convert the sentence to the modified pig-latin language:

Words beginning with a vowel, remove the vowel letter and append the letter to the end.
      All words append the letters 'ni' to the end.
      All words incrementally append the letter 'j'. i.e. 'j','jj','jjj', etc...

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Two technical phone screen interviews and afterwards and invite to the Facebook University Day at a campus of my choice (Menlo Park, Seattle or NYC) - all expenses paid. On campus I had a final technical interview with one of the developers. The rest of the day was spent getting to know the campus and some of the newly hired developers as well as a Q&A with a senior developer.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a previous project of yours and what you would have to change in order to make it scale to millions of users.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I applied to the summer internship last year. However, I didn't hear anything until June. They said they were going to interview me for full time position. Then I told them I won't be graduating until this year summer. So, I postpone the interview to this year. They they got confused that I was applying to the summer internship this year. After a phone interview, they sent me onsite interview. The onsite interview was postponed for almost an hour without notice. I was waiting there for almost an hour. So, things were really rush.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I'm talking about the on-site interview. The process began with a checkin and confirmation. Then there was a 40 minutes technical interview. It was not that hard but I didn't make it. After that, we enjoyed the lunch with the recruiter at the dining hall and it ends with an amazing tour in the FB campus.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the consecutive sequence of numbers whose sums equal to a target number.   View Answers (2)

Business Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in June 2012.

Campus recruiting, applied online.

3 steps:
    1) Phone screen by recruiter - about 30 mins with the usual questions such as "Why Facebook, why this role", review of past experience/projects/research.
    2) Phone interview with a manager - about 40 mins, focusing on some product type questions (recommend a new feature on an existing FB product, how would you assess how popular the feature was). Don't recall any statistics/probability questions, or consulting case interview type questions.
    3) Onsite interview - about five 30 min interviews back-to-back. Each interview focused on different things: SQL (basic problem, code on whiteboard), product metrics and experiment design (how would you evaluate if a change to a feature was positive), past experience/projects (why did you choose this approach vs. another approach), estimation questions (how would you estimate the number of FB users who will use a new pdt x).

Whole process from start to finish was about 1 month.

Interview Questions
    • Compare FB ads to Google Ads
      If you could add a new feature or suggest a new product for Facebook, what would it be and why
      How would you evaluate whether a change to a feature was positive

Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

The process began by talking with a recruiter. I then had two initial 1:1's before doing a day long interview with around 6-7 people throughout the day.

This was a mixture of me showing my work to a group and then problem solving with one or two other people. I also met with other designers for lunch to discuss how things work at Facebook. The afternoon was a mixture of design critiques and explorations of what I'd like to achieve in the position. It was an enjoyable day considering it was an interview.

Afterwards I had a number of follow up 1:1 skype calls with various people from around the company to broaden the topics we spoke about and see different parts of the business.

Interview Questions
    • If you were going to redesign an ATM machine, how would you do it?   Answer Question

Public Content Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

Interview lasted about 40minutes and consisted of a 1:1 in a small room in these big chairs. Very informal setting but make sure your posture is correct in those chairs as it can be a bit awkward which you may come off awkward as well. Pretty straight forward interview. At the end you will be asked to do a little written test thats timed. They ask pretty much how you would go about communicating to a facebook member about a problem. You have 5minutes.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

1- submitted my resume through a friend for a couple different positions
    2- phone screen with a recruiter
    3- brought on for onsite. 5 thirty minute interviews.
    4- offer extended a couple hours after the interview ended.

Overall was a quick process. Everyone communicated well; I was impressed.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Contacted Facebook University recruiter with my CV and sent in a form specifying where I wanted to work/ what I wanted to do at Facebook. I was scheduled an interview for late in the evening due to the time difference with California. Initially asked a number of questions on my CV and the projects I had worked on. Then moved onto technical coding question using online coding tool. This was a hard recursive question which I was unable to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to write a function that would return all the possible words generated when using a phone numpad to type.   Answer Question