Facebook Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 25, 2015

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on facebook site, and was contacted not so long after, told to schedule a date for an interview. I was called exactly the time given, interviewer went straight to the point. He gave a very brief introduction about himself and we went straight to coding. He asked me just one question but I couldn't give the right answer as I did not go over some basic data structures.
    I would advice that if you have an interview for any SWE, you should go over everything!

Interview Questions

• Given a string with parenthesis like "()()(()(()()", check to see if there are matching pairs. If there are matching pairs, return true, else return false.
      For example, ()()() returns true, ()()()) returns false.

3 Answers

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The entire process took 4 weeks from applying to getting an offer.
    The initial step was a twenty minute conversation with the recruiter to see if you fit the role. From there a video conference was set up with two prospective teammates. The video interview was roughly 1.5 hours. It was a mixture of your intent to work at Facebook, behavioral questions, case-studies and getting to really know you and how well you'd work with others. It felt more conversational.

After this round, an onsite interview was scheduled where I went through 3 rounds of individual 1:1 interviews (30-45 minutes each). They asked a lot of case studies after getting to know you a bit. While I can't disclose exact examples, the questions they asked were very much aligned with what the position described (so review the responsibilities and anticipate the kind of issues you'd face in line with Facebook). When you get to this stage, you just have to really use your experience in problem solving to demonstrate how you would get past difficulties and problems that arise. They were all very encouraging so once you get two or three sentences in, the ideas started bouncing off one another.

I reviewed Glassdoor over and over again and it was extremely helpful. I'm attributing the feedback given by everyone here to me acquiring the position.

Interview Questions

• This was a recurring question throughout the entire interview stage:
      What is one or two of your favorite features and how would you improve it?

Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

They set up a phone interview so that I could talk with the recruiter. He asked a couple of questions about my experience and how I work on a team. Then he set up an interview with the hiring manager. She ask me a couple of technical questions, how I work on a team, and what was my experience. I got asked to come to campus to have an interview with some of the people on the team and to meet with three managers. They asked me more challenging technical questions that had to do with the job. it helped that I completely understood what is was that I would be doing on the job and to understand the job description 100%. They were very nice and overall the interview went smoothly.

However, they emailed me a week later to schedule time to talk any time during the week. It was confusing because it sounded like it could be a good thing, but then seconds after taking the call they informed me that I didn't get the job because I didn't have enough experience.

Interview Questions

• No job, this was my question: What interview question were you anticipating that we didn't already ask you?   Answer Question
    • Which is better? Having 10 false positives or 80 false positives?   1 Answer

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Had a phone screen with the recruiter, which I thought went well. She promised to follow up 'soon'. 2 weeks go by and no word. She apologizes for delay and explains that they are doing headcount. I ping for an update, and receive a reply that the role had been filled - 1 week later. Very unprofessional, poor experience. Waste of my time and energy.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

I applied online through their website. I was contacted after one week and scheduled an interview for the following week. They flew me out and although the interview only lasted 4 hours, I was in California for the weekend. Great experience. Wonderful company. Although I did not get an offer, I will definitely apply again.

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

*I still haven't accepted the offer; Glassdoor automatically adds "Yes, and I accepted" when you say you've received and offer :-)*

Facebook interview starts with a recruiter phone screen, two phone interviews with designers, and then a full onsite interview.

I was interviewing with another company when Facebook reached out to me so I didn't have to go through the phone interviews. I was flown in for the full interview, which was a fun experience! My interviewers were friendly, humble, and genuinely interested in talking to me.

The day started off with a 30 min panel presentation of my portfolio work. It's really challenging to consolidate your work in such a short presentation. I was only able to get through 1 major project.

1 on 1: Product Critique - a popular mobile app

1 on 1: Product Thinking exercise - whiteboarding a solution to a design problem - this is actually a lot of fun! I think the goal is to understand how you approach designing something rather than coming up with a novel solution. I didn't have a fully designed wireframe or anything, but I did have a scenario of what the full experience might be.

1 on 1: Chat with a Design Manager.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Facebook in Feb'15. I first had a brief screening with a recruiter, followed by two phone interviews, each 45 minutes long and then an onsite with 3 back to back interviews each 45 min long.

I had applied to FB directly and got a call from the recruiter. The recruiter was super helpful throughout each step of the process. In the initial call, he asked me basic questions about my previous job and why I wanted to join Facebook.

Phone Interviews:
    As many have already mentioned, FB PM interviews fall into 3 categories: 1. Product Design (PD), 2. Product Sense (PS) and 3. Leadership&Drive (LD) interviews.

My first phone interview was PD interview where the interviewer stated by asking which feature I was most proud of. Then he followed up with how would you improve that feature. Then he asked me how would I design FB for blind people. Lastly, he invited me to ask few questions of him.

My second phone interview was PS. Here FB is trying to get a sense of how good you are at understanding metrics and making tradeoffs amongst different metrics. My first question was if you are the PM for FB Pages, then how would you decide what goals and roadmap to have 1 year out. Then the interviewer asked me how would I do it for 50 years out. He also asked me to go into some detail of why I chose the metrics that I chose and how would I improve them (roadmap part). Next, he asked me the following question: Let us say you are sitting with a mobile analyst whom you can ask any question. You are looking at DAU data across the world and notice that there has been a jump of 5% compared to yesterday in Indonesia. What would you ask the analyst? Lastly, I was given 15 min to ask questions.
    This interview lasted almost 70 min though it was supposed to be for 45 min.

Both interviewers guided me / gave me hints when I got stuck or asked relevant questions for solving the problems given to me.

After the phone interview, recruiter called up after 3-4 days to let me know that I have moved to onsite round. He also gave me feedback on what I did well on and what needed improvement to succeed in next round. This was super helpful as I focused my energies on addressing the areas for improvement.

Onsite Interview:
    I had 3 onsite interviews, each 45 min long, starting at 10am. In each of the interviews, there was a shadow interviewer too, so in all, I met 6 people during the interviews. Shadow interviewers decision/vote does not count in the hiring process, I was told.

First was PD, followed by LD and lastly PS.
    PD: What app FB should build next? How would you improve a FB app of your choice. I had a really good discussion with PM on all the questions.

PS: I do not remember the details of this interview except that I did not do it so well.

LD: This was behavioural interview with examples from my previous job. Here they are looking for how self aware you are, what is your leadership style, how do you handle failures and how good are you at accepting mistakes.

After the interviews were over, another FB PM took me to lunch (while my interviewers met to discuss if they needed a 4th interview). Recruiter had told me that sometimes when they want to dig deeper into anything, they might schedule a 4th interview. The PM who took me to lunch had 4 interviews. Thankfully, I did not have 4th interview.

All the interviewers were very courteous, down to earth and I had a very pleasant experience.

Recruiter call me about 5 days later to let me know that I had the offer. He also gave me feedback on what went well and what didnt (PS).

Focus on following:
    1. Tie everything back to FB's vision.
    2. Always start with goal and user personas, followed by defining needs/pain points and then feature design.
    3. I practiced/'solved' all the questions listed on glassdoor FB PM interviews, which helped me immensely. While almost all questions were new, but the pattern was same. The more you practice the questions the better you become at thinking on your feet during the interview and following the PM thought process without much stumbling.

Data Scientist, Product Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. I had a quick call with her to confirm my interest and then she set me up with a technical phone screen that same week. Because I did okay, not great, I had a second phone screen the following week. Then within another week or two I went in for an onsite interview with 5 different team members ranging from analyst to manager. The interview was on a Friday and by Tuesday, I believe, they had gotten back to me with a no - but they softened the blow by letting me know that I was a good fit, but that my technical skills weren't quite there, so I should give them a call back in 6 months or when they are there, whichever comes last.

Overall the people I interviewed with were very cool and supportive (one exception, but there always is, isn't there?) In the end, I don't actually think I was qualified for the position, but had I been, I most likely would have taken the role. The only negative for me really was the workspace - the entire office is one room.

Both phone screens were the same format. They start by telling you about the role, ask you to describe your experience and then they jump right into a case, which also serves as a SQL exercise. They provide you with a sample schema then ask you to write queries against it and answer some strategic questions about how you might think about the output or what conclusions you could draw from the metrics available to you (or those you might create.) Overall for someone who uses SQL regularly (which I do) this was very easy - though I will say if you are not familiar with the format, where you code live (which I wasn't) it can throw you off. All of the queries I saw in the phone screen and the onsite interview relied a lot on COUNT and self joins and other nested queries, so if you feel you might be nervous you could review those concepts.

I was really happy with the onsite interview, it was even a little bit fun, but I really didn't know what I was doing half the time, so that was a bit awkward. What I liked the most was that it was almost 100% skill based, none of the "tell me about a time when" or "what's your greatest strength" nonsense that I'm used to.

The first interview was a business case. I was asked what kind of metrics I would look at, how I would track them, what conclusions I might draw from different scenarios. It was basic, but they were looking for some specific insights so I would say even though it was open ended, there were right and wrong answers.

The next interview was a SQL interview. It was a lot like the phone screen, just more involved.

The following interview was Python/R based and asked me to write a couple of algorithms. I don't actually know Python/R so I did pretty badly! But it's a testament to the culture (or at least the kindness of this one guy) that he was not rude about it, just tried to give me some coaching and be friendly while I wrote a lot of non-sensical things on the whiteboard. Since then I have taken Coursera's R Programming course and I would say that if you pass that class you should be able to pass this interview - though perhaps if you fly through the first couple of algorithms they get progressively harder in which case the class may not be sufficient.

The next interview was a probability question. I had done a ton of probability prep based on the reviews I saw on Glassdoor but he really knocked me over with a question that I had no idea how to answer. Bayes rule what? That was not at all relevant in this case, sadly.

The final interview was another case, or so it seemed, but actually I think it was more of a test of my stats 101 knowledge, which I didn't quite pick up on right away. The interviewer asked me a kind of confusing question which I thought was a bit of an analysis question, but really he was asking me: "what is standard deviation?" but in the most round about, muddled way possible. He also had a thick accent and was very stern which didn't help. So I actually think I did the worst on this (even worse than the Python/R which I didn't even know!), which is funny because I know stats very well, but that's how it goes.

Overall I would say I was very unfamiliar with this style of interview. I have an MBA so I had done a lot of less technical interview prep. However it seemed very fair and very manageable... if you actually know the material.

Interview Questions

• You're at a casino with two dice, if you roll a 5 you win, and get paid $10. What is your expected payout? If you play until you win (however long that takes) then stop, what is your expected payout?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Spoke with the hiring manager and recruiter on the phone and went to HQ for the in-person interview. Interviewed with five people and received the offer a week later. The process was well-organized. The recruiter also immediately got in touch with the references I provided.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online via Facebook web page and after few days I was contacted via recruiter. During HR interview I was asked one coding problem very generic and then as next step a scheduled interview with team member for more coding questions. Time was around 45 minutes for only 1 question whch I answered but not very efficiently.

Interview Questions

• Generate a subset of a known list of objects. This subset should consider all elements randomly. Consider time complexity   2 Answers