Facebook

3.4

262 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Recruiter contacted me.
    First telephonic interview was 45 mins and a single coding question.
    All interviewers were good except one of the interviewer who asked about system design question (he was rude and wanted to show off).
    1) Behavior - prepare for difficult bug etc. questions. What u want to do at Facebook.
    2) Lunch
    3) System design - give more importance to these type of questions. Asked me about design a system to run a command on all the servers (say 1 million) within the same network from one of the server on the network.
    4) Coding - Given a NxN matrix with values X and O where X represent land and O represent water find the number of islands. Two consecutive X X (horizontal or vertical) will be part of single island while diagonal X X are not. (Solve using graph - DFS or BFS)
    5) Coding - from list of strings, generate list of list of strings which are anagrams of each other.

I did really well, but I guess not good compared to other candidates.

Overall interview was easy if you have prepared for Algos and Data Structures. Please give more attention to
    1) Writing perfect code on white board.
    2) System design questions

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

The process was pleasant and everyone was very nice and smart. I had a phone interview, a week went by and I had a second. Three weeks then passed so I emailed the recruiter and an onsite was scheduled.

1st Phone Interview: Product Sense, questions about how I would solve a hypothetical problem. For example, if FB wanted to build a new recruiting tool, how would I go about testing my hypothesis and verifying my problem identification and solution.

2nd Phone Interview: This one was termed "Execution", which I interpreted as assigning values to features and the process I would go through to vet a feature's or product's value. Turned out it was all about analytics and metrics: "How would you decide whether to show a friend suggestion in the FB news feed every ten feed items versus an advertisement?" "What are the trade-offs etc?" A lot of the interview focused on relative trade-offs and comparisons. I felt I did really badly but then got the onsite and final round invite.

Onsite/Final Round: First interview focused again on Product Sense - "how would I change the news feed?", "what new feature would I build?". The second interview focused on leadership, "tell me about a time_____", and was designed to assess my ability to influence people and inspire. The third interview was back to Execution. I was asked to point out UI changes in the current app and use the whiteboard to graph examples of how metrics I would roll out of bed and want to look at would look.

Overall, the experience was positive though the process was extremely lengthy considering there was no offer. After my final interview I was told I'd know within three days. Two weeks went by so I called and left the recruiter a voice-mail. Another week and a half went by so I emailed and finally got the "thanks but no thanks" (though worded very nicely and appropriately).

Interview Questions
    • They're really looking for a "package deal" so no one question stood out as being really difficult. It's very important to ask clarifying questions if you don't understand something. I made the mistake of making assumptions that weren't justified and should have been more assertive in asking for more information or for clarification.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter who didn't seem to be very interested in me. They were rushing me off the phone, and it felt very much like I had been talking to a telemarketer.

I had two of phone interviews with two PMs. They were very friendly people, but it did seem like they kept trying to summarize my answers for me (mansplaining anyone?). One of them tried to "grade" an answer on the spot, saying I got all the answers right except one item....and it turns out I did say that. Perhaps he didn't hear me, and I didn't want to correct him (I was already being mansplained to death).

Not sure I am convinced FB is doing much to increase or help diversity on their end, judging from this interview process.

You should study the questions here on Glassdoor. Many of the questions here are what was asked of me on my phone interviews.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Phone interview: Was called one day after submitting my resume. Very nice, recruiter but new very little about the actual position which made it difficult for me to show my value. She appeared to be very excited about my interest through multiple emails but did not hear back.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

I exchanged a few emails and phone calls with a recruiter and got invited to the campus a couple weeks later.
    I was told that even managers are asked technical questions (makes sense and I agreed).
    Did two 1 hour slots (one in person and the other online, separated by a week). A week later I was told that I was not a fit.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were toy CS problems that fresh grads would solve (dismissing 90% of my career). Think data structure (variations of sorting arrays/modifying binary trees).   View Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

I was initially contacted by Facebook via a LinkedIn message. They found my resume online and thought I would be a good fit for their Site Reliability Engineer position. They asked if the position interested me, and I said that it did. They scheduled a phone interview for a week later.

The phone interview consisted of some technical questions, and I had mixed results on those. I did not feel that I did my best, especially since I don't particularly enjoy coding in front of someone without any reference material. However, I was informed a few days later that they would like a second phone interview with me.

I was surprised, and I accepted the next step in the process. Later the same day, they contacted me again to say they would rather bring me in for an onsite interview immediately instead of going through the second phone interview. I was surprised, but I accepted the offer and set up the travel dates shortly thereafter.

On the morning of the interview, I underestimated the amount of time required to drive from Palo Alto to Menlo Park at 9:30am, and I arrived 5 minutes late to the interview. That was a terrible way to start the day, and I wondered if that would knock me out of the running immediately. Coming from rural NH, I was not used to heavy commuting traffic, but it was still inexcusable, and I felt defensive and angry at myself the rest of the day - not a great way to enter an interview with any company, let alone Facebook!

Most of the interviews went reasonably well - programming aptitude, manager interview, etc. Two of the interviews went less well - networking knowledge and most pointedly, system architecture. The system architecture interviewer was somewhat unfriendly, but perhaps not on purpose if it was his true personality, and the interview included a "shadow" interviewer who didn't ask questions and only participated minimally.

I had my most difficulty with this interview and did not do well with the "what if?" questions in general. I was disappointed with myself because I have thought of myself as someone who can design systems, but perhaps not at the scale that Facebook is looking for. At any rate, I was struggling with one question during the interview and said something like "Well, you could do....". I know that was a bad answer and wishy-washy, but the interviewer turned to his "shadow" with a wry smile and said in a sidebar "Well, of course you could do ....". I thought that was unprofessional and disrespectful, but tried to soldier on as best as I could. At the end of that interview, I could tell that I was not prepared well enough for it and felt that I had performed poorly on that one.

I sent thank you emails to as many of the folks as I could, but when I could not find email addresses for some of them, I asked the recruiter for the rest of the addresses. Surprisingly, she replied that she "couldn't reveal personal email addresses at the company." I found that to be very strange, since some Facebook employee email addresses are found easily by Googling their names. She requested that I forward my thank you emails to her for each person and she would resend them internally. Again, I found that to be a strange request, but I complied. I did not receive any confirmation of receipt from her nor from the folks that I attempted to thank, but at that point, I was convinced that it didn't matter anyway.

I was told that I would hear back from them by the following Friday, but that day came and went with no contact. Finally, I received a call from the recruiter the next week, and I was told that they were no longer interested due to my difficulties with the networking and system architecture interviews.

I take responsibility for arriving late to the interview and do not plan on letting that happen for any future interviews. I'll never know if that had something to do with the negative response from them, but it certainly didn't help my chances! I was disappointed with some of the employee interactions, but I guess I'll just chalk that up to having a thin skin that day and being on the defensive because I had already messed up by arriving late.

Interview Questions
    • "What is your favorite networking protocol?" Follow-on: "What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?"   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

After uploading my resume and solving the puzzle I had requested, I got contacted by a recruiter through email. After two weeks, the recruiter interviewed me over the phone to learn about my interests.

Then, in about two weeks, I had my phone interview. I was asked a question on comparing two general tree data structured. I answered the question and wrote the code correctly in the given space/time constraints.

A week later I was contacted again and invited for on-site interview. However, the timing was not good and they said given my status (that I need an H1B), and current cap, they cannot move forward with the interview.

The whole experience was smooth and exciting. I was just not quite lucky with the timeline.

Interview Questions
    • You might be asked on how much you expect for compensation (by the recruiter). The coding question was alright. It was to compare two general trees and making sure they have the same elements.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

So i had 4 back to back interviews with all managers. The interviews were all extremely technical and the interviewers were pretty straight forward, weren't excessively nice or mean.
    The interview went through lunch hour and they din't offer me lunch and I was so hungry through half af all my interviews which kinda sucked.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of SQL questions. General knowledge about how you would handle large amounts of data.   Answer Question
    Extremely straightforward. The recruiter was extremely nice and I tried to negotiate but I couldn't because the offer was already pretty up there.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter in early 2014. I was set up with an engineer for a phone interview. The first few questions were about my resume, simple stuff about projects I've worked on and prior experience. Then I was asked two technical questions, one about recursion and one about trees. I fully solved and optimized the tree problem but struggled a bit with the recursive problem. Overall it wasn't too difficult but make sure you prepare well before going in!

Interview Questions
    • A recursive problem involving how many combinations you can make out of a set of numbers. Know your data structures, the problem used both hash tables and lists.   View Answer

User Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

I applied online through Facebook page, and they contacted me right immediately like on that day which was scary for me. I guess they embody truly the culture of moving fast. I got an e-mail with to complete some online test with 13 questions and they were on:
    13 questions:
    9 Analytical Multiple Choice Questions – focusing on sets, trend analysis, calculus, stats, etc.
    1 open ended basic SQL question.
    1 open ended normalization question.
    1 Multiple Choice English language comprehension question.
    1 open ended language question (this part should be 200 – 300 words).
    The entire online assessment test was conducted through hackerrank.com and it was for 90 min.
    Personally I did not go and complete the Quiz within couple of day. I did take my time to prepare and I was right. It is a difficult test. I did use apps like the impossible interview and the aptitude interview from iTunes app store to prepare. They were a help.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult or unexpected thing was that they contact you right immediately leaving you no time to prepare, so before you apply take you're time to prepare and they apply. other than that this question was pretty difficult:

An analyst at Facebook is conducting a satisfaction survey sampling from a list of 10,000 new users. The list includes 2,500 French users, 2,500 German users, 2,500 Italian users, and 2,500 Portuguese users. The analyst select a sample of 400 users, by randomly sampling 100 users of each country. is this an example of a simple random sample?

View Answer
    It was a contract, there where no negotiations.