Facebook

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume to a Facebook employee who then forwarded my resume to a recruiter. I received an email from Marc in less than 2 days. Marc is a recruiter for admin jobs at FB. He is very professional, kind, very helpful and he was such a pleasure to speak with. We set up a telephone interview in less than a week. Telephone interview was great. Just going over your background, skills and a few typical interview questions. After going over resume/skills etc. I was then told he was going to forward my resume as well as his notes to a hiring manager. Then they go through all the applicants and then decide from there. I was a little nervous so I don't think I did as well. Probably why he suggested I start as a contract worker and eventually converting. (LOL) Anyway, I love that he was straight forward and to the point. Marc explained there were typically 2 rounds of interviews after the phone interview. Sometimes just 1 but it all depends on the team. After the phone interview a hiring manger will contact me for a 2nd interview within a week or two and then see if I go on to the next round where I have an interview with at least two team members. I had a great experience. Even if I don't get another interview, Marc was awesome and glad I was able to connect with him.

Interview Question – What do you expect from your manager?   View Answer

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend. Got a phone call within 2 days from a recruiter. An interview was set up with the hiring manager of the team I interviewed for. Standard data structures and algorithms screen. Passed that pretty easily. I had 2 more phone calls and one onsite. Overall pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Question – Not that difficult but was asked to compute the number of ways to make change for 100 dollars when an arbitrary coin from the set (5c, 10c, 25c) has to be the smallest amount of change given.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – i decided to join a a smaller startup.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter after dropping my resume at the career fair. After 2 phone screens, I was invited to attend a 'University Day' at the Menlo Park office for one onsite interview. Each phone screen is generally about 45 minutes long and consists of 2-3 programming questions to be coded on Collabedit. The recruiter and interviewers were very helpful and extremely organized.

Interview Question – All programming interviews. Mostly questions on recursion, backtracking, trees and graph theory. Be comfortable with data structures too. Questions from Careercup and Glassdoor are helpful for practice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was happy with the offer I received and did not negotiate.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – First an interview phone screen with a very knowledgable, followed by two phone interviews with current Facebook PMs. All the questions probed into how you thought about understanding users, features, technologies, and the vision you had for building things. People are friendly and smart but will definitely push you to justify your responses and be thoughtful.

They very much want to see how you think rather than have you talk about your CV.

There are specific interviews during the final on-site round covering (1) analytics, (2) usability and design, and (3) vision --e.g. what would you want to build if time/resources were not a constraint

Interview Question – If you were at Facebook, what would you build?   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details – (Front End Developer)

After going to a conference, and talking with several people from Facebook who also attended, I was contacted via email to see if I was interested in doing an interview.

I said yes, and got my first phone interview a few days later. In a shared code environment I needed to do a recursion assignment, and also create a polyfill. It went okay, although I wasn't happy with my performance on the polyfill. This took about 40 minutes.

The more surprised I was that they asked me for a second phone interview, whereby I also had to do a recursion question. I made it harder then necessary for myself, which was unfortunate.

After this I was invited to Facebook HQ, and had to do 4 interviews. Interviews were about recursion, closures, css, implementations. Unfortunately I wasn't good enough for Facebook, so that got me messed up for a month or so. I thought I did pretty good, but needed too much time to get going.

The recruiters and interviewers were great. The process went really smooth, and comfortable.

Interview Question – Questions about recursion, css positioning, what would you like to do at Facebook, and closures.   Answer Question

Ad Measurement Analyst Interview

Ad Measurement Analyst
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Long, drawn out, and unorganized. Unprofessional HR associate who would not answer emails or phone calls. The entire process took over four months and was a complete waste of time. The reason cited for my not getting an offer was that I didn't have sufficient skill in R, a language that was not once referenced on my resume.

Interview Question – Various complex SQL joins.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Data Engineer
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Overall, Facebook's interview process was slow and uncoordinated.

I was referred, but dealt with their internal recruiters throughout the process. After chatting with one of their recruiters, I was told they'd schedule an initial screening interview. Since I was local, this was done at their headquarters instead of over the phone. This screening was actually 3 one-on-one interviews and took over two hours. These were pretty basic questions, and none were too difficult.

I passed the screen and went back for another round of one-on-one interviews. These questions were tougher. One was about scaling an app I'd written up to Facebook scale. Since I don't have a ton of experience working at scale, I don't know if I flubbed it or not. One was about processing log files of events to determine a user's current status. And one was about splitting strings up using a dictionary (search for "Retiring a Great Interview Problem" if you want the details) that I eventually worked though.

After that, I was asked back to a third round of one-on-one interviews. I was told this one would be quick, but it was just as long as the others. Most of the questions were actually about work I'd done previously and data visualization.

After this, I received a call from a recruiter who sounded excited, saying they were going to do a background check on me, and that I should expect to hear back when the hiring manager returned from vacation. But that time came and went, and I was eventually told (via email) that the position had been filled, so I didn't get an offer.

I'd like to draw special attention to how slow this process was. After my initial contact with a recruiter, it took 2 weeks to schedule and do the screening interview. It took another 2 weeks for them to get feedback and schedule a second round. After the second round, it look another 3 weeks to get the third round scheduled. And then it was another 2 weeks before I heard back. I had nearly wide-open availability, so the only thing holding things up was Facebook.

I'd also like to draw attention to how uncoordinated the recruiters were. My initial contact was with one recruiter. After chatting with him, he handed me off to a second recruiter. She scheduled the second interview, after which i was handed off to a third recruiter. And after that, the email saying the position had been filled came from a fourth recruiter. Meanwhile, the recruiters that scheduled the interviews helped escort me around on site were different than any of these. It was very, very difficult to keep track of who to contact with questions, updates, and thank yous. I also think the job title of I was applying for changed at least once during this process, which led to a little confusion in the actual interviews, though all recruiters involved assured me it was the same position.

More uncoordination: they asked me to fill out an application form, and I did so and turned it in at my screening interview. They then asked from this same form at every subsequent interview, and even once over email, and I had to keep reminding them I'd already done it.

Also, just a gripe. All three of my on-site interviews were scheduled to begin in the morning, and they all lasted well past noon. I was only offered lunch once.

Interview Question – They asked how I'd scale a web app I'd previously developed in my spare time up to Facebook scale.   View Answer

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – Overall the process is very fast and all the interviewers are very nice.
It take 3 weeks to finish all the interviews (include christmas and new year holidays).
I took 1 phone screen + 2 coding + 1 system design + 1 research interview( for PHD ).
All the coding questions are the common questions you could meet them easily when you read " crack the coding interview" or surf GeeksforGeeks.com, and there was no brainteaser.
The system design problem is kind of hard, because there are no right or wrong answers. I think I didn't perform that well in this round, because I am not very experienced in large system design.
The research interview mainly focus on my research project, and we also had a small coding part, I did well on that.
Honestly, I am kind of surprise that I did not get offer from Facebook, maybe there were some requirements that I did not match.

Interview Question – Overall Facebook's interview questions are interesting and not hard. All the interviewers are knowledgable and nice to talk to.   Answer Question

Summer Research Intern Interview

Summer Research Intern
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview Details – I got 3-rounds phone-screen and 1 round on-site interview.

In the first round phone-screen, the interviewer asked me some general questions about my research interest and my current project. He also introduced some details about their group.

In the second round, the interviewer asked me how to solve a problem they encountered currently. He gave me just brief information and asked for basic idea. He also asked me a very basic programming question. If you have solved all problems on leetcode, you can surely handle that.

The interviewer for the third round didn't show up.

The on-site is amazing. Facebook pay for all the expense. The hotel is great and I even rented a car. Three researchers interviewed me for some research questions. How to solve the practical problems. And one interviewer asked me to explain the idea of a programming problem and write some code on white board. I found it hard to explain algorithm without any code.

Interview Question – Explain the algorithm on white board.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

University Recruiter Interview

University Recruiter
Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Interview Details – I have a few friends that work for Facebook and they had been pushing for me to be a part of the company that they enjoy so much. They said I would be the perfect fit. After a few months of back and forth, I got a phone interview but all parties (including my friends) warned me that there wasn't going to be a position available for a few months as they had just hired somebody on their team. Fine...I was comfortable where I was.

The interview was pretty simple as it was just a phone screen. We spoke for about an hour. The conversation was great; Jennifer Armor was lovely and when we hung up, she said, "I am looking forward to welcoming you to Facebook. Lets keep in touch over the next 2 months. Your resume will be at the top of every pile." She also asked me if I would be interested in a Marketing role and that there was an opportunity in product marketing and she would send my resume off if I wanted. She told me to think it over and get back to her. All in all, I thought the interview went GREAT! On top of that, my girlfriend who works for Facebook immediately called me after my interview and said that Jennifer said that it was the "best phone interview she had ever had." Of course I was stoked! I went on to ask my friend her opinion about the marketing role and from her opinion and her advice, we decide that wasn't a good for and I would wait out the role in the recruiting department.

That was about 5 months ago and I have emailed Jennifer to touch base about 4 times with zero response. I am disappointed in the follow through but from what I understand from my friends within the organization, this is common practice. I understand that people are very busy and it's difficult to get back to people but the culture of a company doesn't start when you get hired...I have always been taught in my career that it starts as soon as the interview process has started. If she decided to go in another direction, I completely understand but I don't understand not even responding to an email...especially because I have personal relationships within the company.

Anyway, I still admire fb as a company. I have since found a job that I am happy in the medical device space.

Interview Question – No hard questions and it was just a phone screen   Answer Question