Facebook

3.4

262 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Was initially contacted via LinkedIn by an internal Facebook recruiter that dealt specifically with this role. I was impressed with the recruiter's technical knowledge, always a good sign, and agreed to go through the screening and start the interview process.

The process is 5 steps:

* Call with recruiter about position
    * Phone screening with a few trivia questions regarding systems administration.
    * Co-operative coding phone interview
    * Systems phone interview
    * On-Site interview

The call with the recruiter was mostly about the position description and duties, and assessing whether both sides think it's a good fit. The phone screening, also done with the recruiter, is just a few questions that anyone who has administered Linux for an organization would be able to answer off the top of their head.

The coding interview was done using a collaborative editing tool, so both parties could see what was being typed. The coding questions were not your typical abstract data manipulation questions, but rather questions that required systems knowledge, and in my case were most easily answered with shell scripts.

I didn't actually do the systems phone interview, as they considered my programming interview strong enough to simply skip this step. I'm informed this is not uncommon.

The on-site interview loop included five 45-minute segments: Programming, Systems, Networking, Solution Architecture, and meeting with the Manager (not in that order). Additionally, lunch with the initial recruiter and a brief chat afterwards with a different recruiter that dealt with the financial and logistics portions of the interview and negotiations.

One thing that struck me during the entire process is that *everyone* I spoke to, and I mean *everyone* because I asked them all, absolutely loved working there. Every time I asked someone how they liked working at Facebook, their face lit up and they started listing off reasons they loved working there, and everyone had the same reason: They liked everyone around them, felt trusted and respected, and trusted and respected the people around them. This was unanimously the first reason, usually followed by "and the work is really interesting".

Interview Questions
    • What options do you have, nefarious or otherwise, to stop people on a wireless network you are also on (but have no admin rights to) from hogging bandwidth by streaming videos?   View Answers (2)
    My negotiations were all pre-offer. There is a compensation department that comes up with an offer based on your years of experience, strength during the interview process, and current pay. They will almost certainly exceed your current pay if you disclose it, though I should probably point out they didn't verify mine. In my case they offered base pay approximately 10% higher than my prior base pay, and I presume this is fairly standard.

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Contacted via LinkedIn. Initial half hour chat about the company and the potential role. 3 basic domain knowledge question. Next step, online technical Skype call interview with a few algorithm challenges and some general chat about the position. After success, invited to on-site interview in Menlo Park. Four technical challenge/design sessions including lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Emphasis on algorithms and complexity analysis and some higher-level design. Process is perhaps more focussed on discussion of alternatives/trade-offs/complexity over necessarily nailing a "perfect" answer in the provided time.   View Answers (2)

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Recruiter asked specific javascript trivia questions on first phone call, which I was not prepared for.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between == and === javascript   View Answer

Diversity Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Spoke with a recruiter on the phone and a peer before being flown to San Fran to meet with team. The recruiter was not informed about the role or the department, she literally read the job description word for word. I met with the hiring manager first in the first 15 mins she told me they were going to promote the peer to role. I continued the interviews with other interviewers. So essentially they flew me out there for nothing. It was nice to meet the group but could saved me the time and told me over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were related to my recruiting and Diversity experience.   Answer Question
    • What Diversity groups do you identify with? And what group do you identify with more?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Was contacted by a recruiter. Set up a phone interview; had weird telephone problems, couldn't understand my interviewer very well. Did some general algorithm questions in Python that were well-suited to a phone interview, but wasn't pleased with my performance overall.

Recruiter contacted me back to do a second phone screen - said there "wasn't enough of a signal" the first time. Apparently this is not common. Second phone screen had problems with the collaborative edit software we used for coding - I had to stop, copy, and repaste my code several times for some reason. Again, the questions were well-suited to the format of the interview. Thought I did better but no better than an average performance, probably.

No offer, the whole process took about a month (but I intentionally delayed the phone screen for personal reasons).

Interview Questions
    • I was asked the 3-sum problem. Basically, given an array of integers, find three that sum to a given value. Alternately, find all triplets that sum to the given value.   View Answers (2)

Product Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

The interview was pretty standard. The interviewer started off by asking for my understanding of the role and how my experience could relate. He went on to tell me more about the position in depth and the structure of the team. Also asked about my experience with excel/SQL and told me about the next steps in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you decide which ticket to work on first, 1) huge vendor whose campaign has already launched and is wondering why they didn't receive the results the anticipated or 2) small business who is unable to launch their campaign for a product that is two days away.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

I was first contacted by a sourcer for a different position, but the recruiter that she connected me to never replied my email. A few months passed, I received an offer from another company so I thought I'd check in with the recruiter again. He emailed back, but ultimately the position he was recruiting for wasn't a good fit. He passed me to a second recruiter, who's super efficient in terms of both scheduling and getting back to me with the results. It took him literally less than 24 hours from the beginning of my interview to get me a verbal offer. Super impressive.

For the onsite, there were 5 back-to-back 30-min interviews. It was quite intense, and a lot of talking. They should've fit a 5 min break here and there, but oh well. There's a few algorithm questions, stats, design, research background, etc.

Interview Questions
    • It was all a blur to me now. I don't think there was anything too difficult in particular, but lots of talking and have to focus since all interviews were back-to-back.   Answer Question

It was a very tough decision. Honestly, could've gone either way. Facebook's offer was a tad bit higher, but I thought I'd give the other company a shot for now.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

I emailed my resume to a Facebook employee who then forwarded my resume to a recruiter. I received an email from Marc in less than 2 days. Marc is a recruiter for admin jobs at FB. He is very professional, kind, very helpful and he was such a pleasure to speak with. We set up a telephone interview in less than a week. Telephone interview was great. Just going over your background, skills and a few typical interview questions. After going over resume/skills etc. I was then told he was going to forward my resume as well as his notes to a hiring manager. Then they go through all the applicants and then decide from there. I was a little nervous so I don't think I did as well. Probably why he suggested I start as a contract worker and eventually converting. (LOL) Anyway, I love that he was straight forward and to the point. Marc explained there were typically 2 rounds of interviews after the phone interview. Sometimes just 1 but it all depends on the team. After the phone interview a hiring manger will contact me for a 2nd interview within a week or two and then see if I go on to the next round where I have an interview with at least two team members. I had a great experience. Even if I don't get another interview, Marc was awesome and glad I was able to connect with him.

Analyst, User Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

started with an initial phone screen, followed by a phone interview consisting of behavioral questions, then an onsite with 5 1:1 interviews, each taking 20-30 minutes

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

First an interview phone screen with a very knowledgable, followed by two phone interviews with current Facebook PMs. All the questions probed into how you thought about understanding users, features, technologies, and the vision you had for building things. People are friendly and smart but will definitely push you to justify your responses and be thoughtful.

They very much want to see how you think rather than have you talk about your CV.

There are specific interviews during the final on-site round covering (1) analytics, (2) usability and design, and (3) vision --e.g. what would you want to build if time/resources were not a constraint