Facebook

Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.3

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

1 Behavior/Past experience
    2 Ninja
    3 Lunch (not rated)
    4 Design
    5 Ninja

The behavior interview is about 1 hour, just talking about your past and current experience and projects you have done, plus a 15 mins coding test.

first Ninja is an opening question, essentially creating your own question based on a scenario and do some coding. My experience was really good so you have the flexibility to design questions you are familiar with.

Lunch was chat with a senior team lead, relax and get to know what you want to know.

Design was easy for me, since I have done a similar system at my current job.

the last ninja really sucked, the question is about a really unconventional event processing model using "pulling" instead of standard "push" model (like Storm), and the interviewer does not talk much and was not happy when I proposed the much simpler and intuitive push model. I failed on this one.

Interview Questions
    • The second ninja (coding) test was about event processing system using pulling model, which literally no one in the industry is using.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Got an on-campus interview through the career fair at my university. The on-campus interview was a total of forty-five minutes: first five to ten minutes was talking about the interviewer and about my past experiences and the rest of the time was for one technical question, which was relatively easy. Two days after the on-campus interview, I was invited to an on-site interview at their Seattle office during one of their University Days. The interview style was the same as the on-campus interview. They also took us on a tour around Seattle during the on-site.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I contacted with FB on a campus recruiting event and then was initially given an on campus interview. After that, I was asked to have an onsite interview with them in one of the three locations: New York city, Seattle or Menlo Park. I chose to visit the Seattle office. The process for onsite interview is inviting and I had a good time on that day. It was a university day, on which that FB invites all the university students to interview with them on the same day. The interview was one day long, starting with breakfast and then followed by three rounds of technical interview. Then entire afternoon was just visiting the office.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are very typical coding questions. Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

I went for a networking event and gave the recruiter my resume. She contacted me shortly to set up an interview. I had a tech screen which was onsite since I have an office in my city. On clearing that I had 3 more on-site interviews. After that I was asked to solve a take home puzzle.

Interview Questions
    • The puzzle was actually the most difficult. Since they expected an optimum solution and there were no guidelines at all.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

I did not go beyond the first screening interview. Though I did not make it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the interview as the interviewer was interacting and helping me solve the problems and having discussion about the problem

Interview Questions
    • How would u find out the number of cars passing through a busy bridge   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

Two interviews - one on my university campus, one on the nearest Facebook campus. Got back promptly after the second interview. The culture is amazingly open, any intern can look at any piece of code in the company - nothing is secret. Additionally a lot of trust is put in interns and employees.

Interview Questions
    • Standard rotated binary search question. You have a sorted array that has been shifted/cycled, perform a search on it   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation, there seemed to be a formula for salary for interns.

Software Engineering New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

I initially applied in early November, 2013. I got a reply from one of the recruiters about a week later. After talking to the recruiter on the phone and emailing back and forth for a while, she realized that I was still in school (graduating mid 2014) and transferred me to another recruiter.. or rather a bunch of different recruiters who couldn't seem to figure out who I should be talking to. Eventually we got everything sorted out (now in January 2014) and I did two phone interviews. They both went well and shortly after, they arranged for me to fly to Seattle for a "university day". They put me up in a nice hotel across the street from the office and, of course, paid for meals and everything. They even set up direct deposit for the reimbursement, which was nice.

The day of the interviews, I arrived in the morning and signed in and then I was met by a couple recruiters. There were also a few intern candidates but no other full time candidates. I had 3 interviews that were all fairly interesting. The first one was mostly a fit interview, the second was the in depth coding interview and the third was a combination of talking about experience and doing some coding.

After the interviews, we did a tour of the office and then we met with a bunch of engineers for a Q&A session. This was a really great way to learn about the company and see how everything works there. It seemed like a really great place to work with lots of really smart engineers though I was mildly concerned about the apparent lack of organization.

In the afternoon, one of the recruiters took us downtown for Seattle's "Underground Tour" which was really neat and later they took us out to a super fancy Italian restaurant which was excellent. Overall, it was a really great day.

About a week later, I got an email from one of the recruiters asking for references and my transcript. I have an almost perfect transcript (straight A's) and I was certain that my references would say nice things about me so I felt that I had the job in the bag at this point. One of my references forwarded me the questionnaire they sent him. It was just generic questions like "How did you know him?", "Would you hire him again?", "What were his strongest/weakest attributes?" This reference included his answers which were all extremely positive, re-enforcing the idea in my mind that I was going to get an offer.

A week or so after this, I heard from the recruiter again asking me to do more phone interviews. Supposedly, it was "great news that [they] still [wanted] to move forward with [me]" but I didn't really take it that way. Frankly, I find it rude and unprofessional that they would waste the time of my references if they weren't already prepared to make an offer. However, I, of course, went through with the phone interviews, uncertain what they could possibly learn about me that they hadn't already figured out in the first five interviews.

The first of the second round of phone interviews (6th interview overall) went very poorly as the interviewer has a very strong accent and a horrible phone line (lots of static). I could barely understand what he was asking which made it very difficult. I contacted the recruiter about this and she seemed at least somewhat understanding. She then booked another phone interview which went quite well, as far as I could tell.

Finally, the week after this (now into March), I got a rejection letter which I was rather dumbfounded by. I can't for the life of me figure out where I went wrong or why they would bother contacting references if they weren't prepared to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so I'm not sure that I am allowed to talk about it. Mostly fairly general questions, e.g. data structures, algorithms. Sometimes there's an emphasis on large data.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Great interview process, recruiters and interviewers. The recruiter does a prep session with you beforehand that is very handy. They basically want to ensure a candidate does his best. I didn't do well on the interviews, but this is entirely my fault (FB did a great job to help me prepare). I connected with a recruiter through linkedin, i had a phone screen with a recruiter and then was brought in for 1st round of onsite interview - 2 interviews (one on Product and one on Execution) in the Seattle office. I wasn't called back for the second round.

Interview Questions
    • - Design a product to help people find apartments
      - Investigate a Metric anomaly

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter in LinkedIn and started interview process. He was transparent, prompt and supporting during the process. He updated me every on every step and details and he was prompt: getting feedback after 3 hours from phone interview speaks for itself. Then I had on-site interview, three interviewer liked my answers, system design really like my design and thinking, but apparently one of the interviewer didn't like my coding style and I was asked to come for one more interview just to check the coding part again. So tip: use whiteboard better, apparently working and clean code is not enough it needs to look clean on board as well :) Overall process was positive. But, I had a feeling that some interviewers are really un-experienced and focus on wrong things. Also big difference from other companies: they expect you to be really fast (read - you need to know answer upfront). If you don't know answer upfront, but come up with solution after thinking, trying, making misatkes and optimizing - it doesn't count, at least it didn't in my case. Try to solve my problem below (if you don't know answer already), implement, test it on board in 15-20 minutes.
    Advice for FB: train your interviewers to focus on skills, NOT memorized skills.

I have offer from big companies/competitors, so I will just go with them.

Interview Questions
    • Question is verbose, uses search engine, string matching etc., but at the end boils down to this: There is two dimensional array where each sub array (row) is sorted, i.e.

[[1 1000 2000]
      [20 10001 5000]
      [55 10002 222222]]

Find a minimum range contain a number from each row. For above array it should be (1000-1002) range.

View Answers (8)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Originally applied as a Production Engineer Intern, but the recruiter thought I was a better fit for SE. Interview consisted of the usual personal question and a coding problem in collabedit. It's a twist on the classic palindrome question. After following up about 5 or 6 days later, I was rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Check if two strings (including caps, whitespace, punctuation) are palindromes without doing any preprocessing. I wrote my code in Java.   View Answer