Facebook Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

In-house screening: very nice offices, very nice interviewer. Asked a question, then asked to optimize the solution. I was able to ask questions about Facebook culture and work. They gave a tour in the office which looks very good.

Interview Questions

• NDA, standard question to code on a whiteboard + questions about current projects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I've applied through an employee referral and got a ping from the recruiter in about a week. After the initial chat with the recruiter to chat about FB, my interests and logistics, I got scheduled for the initial 45-minute screening. I was given two options for the screen, either phone/codeshare or an onsite visit (likely an option available for local candidates only). I chose the in-person option, and got an invite for a round of full day (5 total) within few hours after the initial screen. Facebook recruiters send interview prep materials to the candidates on what to expect, what to brush up on, as well as some suggestions tailored to a particular candidate's weak-ish spots (in my case it was the speed of coding). I knew what to expect going in and felt well prepared on this front. Initial screen was algorithm + coding. Nothing overly challenging. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews (+ informal lunch) covering: 1) One "Jedi" interview with a hiring manager testing behavior / culture fit + warm-up coding. Prepare to talk about past experience, career goals, as well as several "tell me about the time when..." questions. 2) One "Pirate" interview: System design portion of the interview. There are great resources on Quora on suggestions on how to prepare and what to pay attention too. 3) Three "Ninja" interviews focusing on algorithm + coding. I actually have seen all of the questions I got asked at Facebook before, but that did not help me as ultimately the reason for rejection was cited as not being able to come up with optimal solutions and code fast enough. Got an phone call from the recruiter in about a week+few days after the interview telling me the unfortunate news. I think I had to wait few extra days because of the July holidays and typically the process is faster. Culture: I did find some of the junior Facebook engineers conducting my interview a bit arrogant and cocky, but nothing too alarming. All in all, I had a positive interview experience. I wish the interview loop was better tailored towards someone more senior, e.g. less emphasis on coding, more on design. Current interview process makes it seem they hire code monkeys.

Interview Questions

• I can't discuss specifics due to NDA, but interview questions were neither overly difficult nor tricky. Check careercup and brush up on algorithms (string processing, binary trees, graphs, etc.). Practice coding fast (which potentially means forgetting good software engineering practices such as class design, refactoring as it will only slow you down). Establish rapport with your interviewer, remember to ask clarifying questions, talk through your thinking process and solutions and you'll do well. Hopefully better than me:) Best of luck!   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

A 45 minute phone screen, followed by an hour at their offices. This hour was 15-20 minutes touring with the recruiter, and ~40 minutes on a white board question. Interviewer was very disinterested, gave the impression he didn't want to be there. After the white board problem, interviewer dumped me at the elevator and ran off. Other Facebook employees in the elevator with me commented on how rude my interviewer was. Recruiter mentioned they expect a 50 hour week.

Interview Questions

• Given a class the does batched reads, write code that guven a number of bytes, uses the batched reader class to retrieve the data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Met recruiter at the Facebook offices, she showed me around. Because I was applying for an engineering position, it started on the engineering floor, which isn't too big. Nice offices but nothing super special, she did mention they were moving fairly soon. After the brief tour went down to the 2nd floor and went to a small room for the technical screen. An engineer came in and for a minute or two asked me about my background and work experience. Then went and asked me two technical questions. The first one was pretty straight forward, but I spent a long time explaining my thought process and debugging and everything. (As a ton of sites say you do). Second one was a bit more of a puzzle question and stumbled a little on it, basically it was a binary search algorithm. Unfortunately a miscommunication at the beginning of the question caused me to try to think of it in a different direction, but eventually got it and realized time was up so I quickly coded the solution and debugged it, but didn't explain myself probably because I knew the time was up. Ultimately got both questions right with a minor stumble and then was not asked for a further interview, so I really have no idea why, and unfortunately I understand for legal ramifications why they can't tell me. However not getting past the screen was unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Basic string modification question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Onsite tech screen followed by 4 1:1 rounds. Three of the technical rounds were on coding questions and one of them had a design problem. Most of the technical problems were easy but I didn't code well probably because I didn't take enough time to practice whiteboard coding. The design round had an interesting problem. I'll probably appear in this once more in a year. All interviewers were good and well-behaved. The process was smooth as well. The recruiter communicated my area of weakness (coding) and I concur with what they found.

Interview Questions

• Convert a tree to a doubly linked list.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. We had a quick chat on the phone before he scheduled a phone screen with an engineer. I don't remember the question from the phone screen, but it was a standard coding screening type interview of about 30 minutes. There was a little bit of time for other questions, but the focus was entirely on coding ability. A few days later, the recruiter contacted me again and arranged for an on site interview in Seattle. I had four approximately hour long interviews with a shorter lunch interview part of the way through. Although the interviews were themed (e.g., "pirate", "ninja", etc.), all were very focused on coding except for one which focused on architecting a system. Several of the coding questions required figuring out the trick underlying the problem in order to get a good solution quickly. Many other companies have stopped asking these kinds of questions since they've found they are not very good at identifying the best people to hire. I felt like I reached satisfactory solutions for each of the questions, but based on feedback I received from the recruiter afterward it was clear they would have preferred me to have been faster. Everybody I interviewed with was friendly and fairly organized, but the sole emphasis on coding and problem solving questions turned me off to the interview process. While it's important to suss out a candidate's technical abilities, these questions don't do a very good job of that. Moreover, they completely ignore other qualities a senior engineer needs to succeed such as cultural fit, leadership abilities, ability to motivate/influence others, having vision, etc. Overall it felt like the process was overly tailored towards entry level college hires instead of mid-career professionals with existing experience. I did not get an offer, but would not have accepted anyways.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by facebook recruiter. I thought I will give it a try. I selected in person tech screen vs phone interview since I think it is much easier to express yourself in person, plus there is whiteboard. Especially, if it is a graph or tree problem, easier to draw on whiteboard. I had to sign NDA unfortunately, so won't be able to share the exact question. But for a software engineer (not senior), the question was pretty hard to solve in 40 minutes. Backtracking was required and the best solution to the problem is n! (n factorial). So if you haven't heard of the problem before, it is quite likely you will spend time just on finding an optimal solution before jumping to code. That's what I did. However, I was able to code most of the solution and interviewer seemed happy. He himself told me that. Interviewer was pretty nice. He answered my questions pretty well and seemed down to earth, only thing I am not sure is the choice of question. I was informed that they will not move ahead with the on-site round, which is what I expected.

Interview Questions

• NDA signed. But the question involved matrix calculations and required backtracking. Best solution was n!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 Onsites to replace phone interviews since I'm local. Was contacted by a recruiter to interview. Was not sure I was interested but figured it was worth the experience. Office had a pretty immature, unprofessional vibe to it. Maybe more for young people just coming out of college?

Interview Questions

• Inorder traversal of binary tree to double linked list   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was originally contacted by a recruiter after I submitted my application through a University Grad portal. 1. 45 minute on-campus interview with a technical question and some general fit questions. 2. Flew out to their Seattle office for University Day. There were three 45 minute interviews: One behavioral interview (Jedi) and two coding interviews (Ninja). The coding interviews covered fundamental concepts in data structures and algorithms. I signed an NDA so I can't tell you about specific questions, but you don't need to review very specialized information. Just make sure you know the basic data structures/algorithms and how to apply them. 3. A week later, I received an offer and accepted. The Facebook recruiters are by far the most helpful and efficient recruiters that I've ever worked with. Most e-mails are responded to within a few hours and made me feel very comfortable throughout the process.

Negotiation

Compensation was competitive; did not negotiate.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed at college campus career fair, then a week later got called onsite for an interview (I chose the Seattle office for the interview), and the next day got the offer. Both of the interviews were 1:1 with an engineer (first with a SWE, second with a manager) and they were both technical, but they asked a few questions about interests and what I wanted to work on at Facebook.

Interview Questions

• I was told not to disclose the details of my interview.   Answer Question