Facebook

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me.
First telephonic interview was 45 mins and a single coding question.
All interviewers were good except one of the interviewer who asked about system design question (he was rude and wanted to show off).
1) Behavior - prepare for difficult bug etc. questions. What u want to do at Facebook.
2) Lunch
3) System design - give more importance to these type of questions. Asked me about design a system to run a command on all the servers (say 1 million) within the same network from one of the server on the network.
4) Coding - Given a NxN matrix with values X and O where X represent land and O represent water find the number of islands. Two consecutive X X (horizontal or vertical) will be part of single island while diagonal X X are not. (Solve using graph - DFS or BFS)
5) Coding - from list of strings, generate list of list of strings which are anagrams of each other.

I did really well, but I guess not good compared to other candidates.

Overall interview was easy if you have prepared for Algos and Data Structures. Please give more attention to
1) Writing perfect code on white board.
2) System design questions

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. System design was tricky.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Interview Details – Facebook recruiters approached me at a conference. Interview followed shortly thereafter; all interviewers had looked at my resume and were ready to ask me questions about my grad work, something that I didn't see in a lot of places. They even put me on the phone with their VP of data infrastructure, which was something that I wouldn't really expect from a company their size. Overall, a great process.

Interview Question – I got some fairly detailed questioning on my research, which was something I didn't really expect for a technical interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I found a position at a startup, and the opportunity cost of turning the startup down for a more established company was too high.

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details – The hiring process is made up of phone screens plus a single on-site interviews day. The phone screens are mostly technical in nature and involve coding on a shared editor platform, like collabedit.com. The coding needs to be pretty clean, concise and correct. You are asked to detect and fix bugs in your code.

Interview Question – None, really. It went smooth   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

Interview Details – They contacted me for the position.
HR discussion was good
Technical interview was not a great experience. The interviewer had no understanding of the industry I was coming from so there was huge gap.

Questions

3. hash map
4. project explanation.

Interview Question – No difficult questions as such.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through LinkedIn and got a call by HR within a couple of days. Was called for 1st round of onsite interview. It didn't go great but I qualified for the 2nd round which consisted of four interview...two rounds of pure coding, one round of system design, and one round of behavioral plus small coding interview. I didn't do very well in one or more of these and didn't get the offer.

Interview Question – When there is no dedicated architect in the team of all software engineers and non-technical manager how do you do the design and architecture of the software.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I had a very bad interview experience with Facebook Seattle recently. Two days after the interview, they called me and asked for references and told me they would provide the feedback in the next day. Not happening but after 5 days, they told me I did not have an offer but I can apply again in 3 months because there are some bugs in my codes and also in the design question interview, although I answered all the questions right but I did not push through it.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in December 2010.

Interview Details – I received a phone call a few days after applying for a position online. After a brief screening of my skills, the recruiter set up a phase-1 interview with a single Engineer. She gave me the option of doing it over the phone or at the Facebook headquarters. I chose the latter because I live nearby. I was scheduled for a 45 minute interview. The engineer was very friendly and inquisitive about my past projects. This is the easy part, talking about myself. He didn't have a copy of my resume, which I thought was lame. Anyway, after discussing my more recent projects, we moved on to the whiteboard coding part of the interview. This part was a pleasant surprise. It was done in a collaborative way, where I would discuss my solution, psudo-code, then code, and receive suggestions or other form of input from the engineer. The last 15 minutes were spent discussing the culture at Facebook and specifics about the team I was interviewing for. It took them more than a week to get back to me, which I would like to think was because they wanted to complete interviews for the other candidates.

Interview Question – Implement strstr in C   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in April 2010.

Interview Details – This was probably one of the longest interview processes I had to go through. The recruiter was wonderful. She was always very professional and responsive. First I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. It was a very straight forward conversation and he asked me to give him some pseudo code on how to square a number using their online tool. Standard algorithm questions which I answered correctly. Afterward, the recruiter said it went well and that she would be in contact with me about what the next steps are. A week goes by and she calls me back telling me I have to write an Adobe Air or Java application using the Facebook API's.

I thought it was a little bit much for them to ask me to spend my time writing something I would not be getting paid for. I really wanted to get the job and impress the hiring manager though so I spent my free time, over a two week period making something that looked great and worked really well. It then took them two months to review the application. To me this was totally unprofessional and kind of a slap in the face. The recruiter was in contact with me the whole time and told me they were all busy with their big change to the privacy features.

Finally the hiring manager looked at the application but the recruiter told me they wanted someone else internal to look at the code as well. She told me they were impressed with the application and had rejected a lot of other candidates applications right away. I sat in limbo another few weeks while another person looked at the application. The recruiter then calls me back to tell me that the position I was applying for was dropped. Not that they hired someone else, but that they changed the role I was applying for completely. I think the software engineering interview process has hit an all time low.

First they make the engineer jump through hoops of logic games. Then spout out algorithms and uses of design patterns like robots. Finally you have to spend your free time writing something that they are only going to throw in the garbage. We have all really fallen to a sad state.

Interview Question – Write some pseudo code to raise a number to a power.   View Answers (10)

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview Details – Short talk with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview. Phone interview involved talking about my previous projects, why facebook, was there anything that concerned me about the role, etc. It then involved a coding question which i've detailed below:

Interview Question – Implement a method called printNonComments() which prints out a extract of text with comments removed.

For example, the input:

hello /* this is a
multi line comment */ all

Should produce:

hello
all

You have access to a method called getNextLine() which returns the next line in the input string.
  Answer Question

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through other source and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – Telephonic interview and then hiring event on Hyd.

Interview Question – It was one of the easiest interview that i had and completely unexpected from company like facebook. Limited set of questions and one question per round. Total 2 coding questions and one design question and lastly cultural fit round. Its completely unfair to have less number of questions and that too relatively easy ones. It doesnt give much scope of creativity and thinking and a small mistake can prove to be too costly. As compared to this, Google,Amazon,Microsoft each have 4-5 rounds with 2-3 questions in each round thus giving enough scope to express yourself.

Questions asked in event: Implement hashmap, count distinct numbers in a large file, design pub-sub, design twitter feed system
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.