Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

In-house screening: very nice offices, very nice interviewer. Asked a question, then asked to optimize the solution. I was able to ask questions about Facebook culture and work. They gave a tour in the office which looks very good.

Interview Questions

• NDA, standard question to code on a whiteboard + questions about current projects.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contact me via email firstly, then follow the process HR provides. The whole process is well guided and clear. The interviews are not tricky and the people are very nice. 1.HR call about background 2.Phone interview about projects 3.Onsite technical interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Recruiter called me and asked a couple of HR questions. Schedule a phone interviewed. First phone interview is not hard at all; I implemented with Java but obviously it's not what interviewer thought. Then along with second phone interview. two questions, I did them quick. 2 days later I was asked to join the on-site interview. I am a little bit nervous in my on-site. Basically the questions were not hard at all. But I was too nervous(It was my first on-site interview in US) and wasn't able to figure out the best solution before timeout.

Interview Questions

• 1. Give you a data structure Seq class Sqe { int value; Seq nex; } and give you two Seq object seq., seq., compare two objects, return true if there is only one difference or no difference, false if more than two differences. 2. Giving a array which has zero and no-zero elements, move all zero elements to the end and no-zero elements to the begin.   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Was submitted as an employee referral, so this may have been quicker than some other folks' experience; first talk with a recruiter to offer was about 10 days. The recruiting team was very on the ball, also. Had one talk with a recruiter about my background, a technical phone screen (as with many companies, writing actual code over a shared-document web page), and a half day on site of in-person interviews. Interviews on site were 3 technical sessions (two coding, one design), a deep discussion of my experience and work style with a manager, and a social lunch (which one should assume is also a "fit" interview although no company I've visited called it that.) Interviewers were down to earth rather than with the attitude I'd expect of some of the large "hot" companies; the two coding problems involved fairly standard (if potentially fiddly) string or graph manipulations -- one required recursion (or a fairly complicated stack structure) while the other was easier iteratively, and I was asked to re-implement it using recursion in remaining time. As with pretty well everywhere, expect to also give a big-O estimate of the run time, and find some failure cases (or at least explain where you're already handling it.) The design interview question was tailored to some specialized work I've done and the particular is probably not representative of most groups; as I understand it, everyone gets some level of design interview and it's usually roughly some form of "how would you build this part of an app like ours for our scale." Got my offer a few days after interviewing. Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was the design problem; the most difficult was one of the technical questions which was to implement a subset of regular expression.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I presented another offer I had on the table, and they beat it sufficiently definitively and sufficiently quickly that accepted immediately... I should have countered at least once. Good offer, very competitive, but I still feel like I soft-balled them.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me. First telephonic interview was 45 mins and a single coding question. All interviewers were good except one of the interviewer who asked about system design question (he was rude and wanted to show off). 1) Behavior - prepare for difficult bug etc. questions. What u want to do at Facebook. 2) Lunch 3) System design - give more importance to these type of questions. Asked me about design a system to run a command on all the servers (say 1 million) within the same network from one of the server on the network. 4) Coding - Given a NxN matrix with values X and O where X represent land and O represent water find the number of islands. Two consecutive X X (horizontal or vertical) will be part of single island while diagonal X X are not. (Solve using graph - DFS or BFS) 5) Coding - from list of strings, generate list of list of strings which are anagrams of each other. I did really well, but I guess not good compared to other candidates. Overall interview was easy if you have prepared for Algos and Data Structures. Please give more attention to 1) Writing perfect code on white board. 2) System design questions

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The hiring process is made up of phone screens plus a single on-site interviews day. The phone screens are mostly technical in nature and involve coding on a shared editor platform, like collabedit.com. The coding needs to be pretty clean, concise and correct. You are asked to detect and fix bugs in your code.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

Interview

They contacted me for the position. HR discussion was good Technical interview was not a great experience. The interviewer had no understanding of the industry I was coming from so there was huge gap. Questions 1. Print the following in html 15 9 2 610 37 48 2. Linked list vs array list 3. hash map 4. project explanation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call by HR within a couple of days. Was called for 1st round of onsite interview. It didn't go great but I qualified for the 2nd round which consisted of four interview...two rounds of pure coding, one round of system design, and one round of behavioral plus small coding interview. I didn't do very well in one or more of these and didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• When there is no dedicated architect in the team of all software engineers and non-technical manager how do you do the design and architecture of the software.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had a very bad interview experience with Facebook Seattle recently. Two days after the interview, they called me and asked for references and told me they would provide the feedback in the next day. Not happening but after 5 days, they told me I did not have an offer but I can apply again in 3 months because there are some bugs in my codes and also in the design question interview, although I answered all the questions right but I did not push through it.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Facebook recruiters approached me at a conference. Interview followed shortly thereafter; all interviewers had looked at my resume and were ready to ask me questions about my grad work, something that I didn't see in a lot of places. They even put me on the phone with their VP of data infrastructure, which was something that I wouldn't really expect from a company their size. Overall, a great process.

Interview Questions

• I got some fairly detailed questioning on my research, which was something I didn't really expect for a technical interview.   Answer Question

I found a position at a startup, and the opportunity cost of turning the startup down for a more established company was too high.