Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

3.4

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Recruiter called me and asked a couple of HR questions. Schedule a phone interviewed. First phone interview is not hard at all; I implemented with Java but obviously it's not what interviewer thought. Then along with second phone interview. two questions, I did them quick.
2 days later I was asked to join the on-site interview. I am a little bit nervous in my on-site. Basically the questions were not hard at all. But I was too nervous(It was my first on-site interview in US) and wasn't able to figure out the best solution before timeout.

Interview Questions
  • 1. Give you a data structure Seq
    class Sqe {
        int value;
        Seq nex;
    }
    and give you two Seq object seq., seq., compare two objects, return true if there is only one difference or no difference, false if more than two differences.
    2. Giving a array which has zero and no-zero elements, move all zero elements to the end and no-zero elements to the begin.

View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Was submitted as an employee referral, so this may have been quicker than some other folks' experience; first talk with a recruiter to offer was about 10 days. The recruiting team was very on the ball, also.

Had one talk with a recruiter about my background, a technical phone screen (as with many companies, writing actual code over a shared-document web page), and a half day on site of in-person interviews. Interviews on site were 3 technical sessions (two coding, one design), a deep discussion of my experience and work style with a manager, and a social lunch (which one should assume is also a "fit" interview although no company I've visited called it that.)

Interviewers were down to earth rather than with the attitude I'd expect of some of the large "hot" companies; the two coding problems involved fairly standard (if potentially fiddly) string or graph manipulations -- one required recursion (or a fairly complicated stack structure) while the other was easier iteratively, and I was asked to re-implement it using recursion in remaining time. As with pretty well everywhere, expect to also give a big-O estimate of the run time, and find some failure cases (or at least explain where you're already handling it.)

The design interview question was tailored to some specialized work I've done and the particular is probably not representative of most groups; as I understand it, everyone gets some level of design interview and it's usually roughly some form of "how would you build this part of an app like ours for our scale."

Got my offer a few days after interviewing. Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the design problem; the most difficult was one of the technical questions which was to implement a subset of regular expression.   Answer Question
    I presented another offer I had on the table, and they beat it sufficiently definitively and sufficiently quickly that accepted immediately... I should have countered at least once. Good offer, very competitive, but I still feel like I soft-balled them.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Recruiter contacted me.
    First telephonic interview was 45 mins and a single coding question.
    All interviewers were good except one of the interviewer who asked about system design question (he was rude and wanted to show off).
    1) Behavior - prepare for difficult bug etc. questions. What u want to do at Facebook.
    2) Lunch
    3) System design - give more importance to these type of questions. Asked me about design a system to run a command on all the servers (say 1 million) within the same network from one of the server on the network.
    4) Coding - Given a NxN matrix with values X and O where X represent land and O represent water find the number of islands. Two consecutive X X (horizontal or vertical) will be part of single island while diagonal X X are not. (Solve using graph - DFS or BFS)
    5) Coding - from list of strings, generate list of list of strings which are anagrams of each other.

I did really well, but I guess not good compared to other candidates.

Overall interview was easy if you have prepared for Algos and Data Structures. Please give more attention to
    1) Writing perfect code on white board.
    2) System design questions

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The hiring process is made up of phone screens plus a single on-site interviews day. The phone screens are mostly technical in nature and involve coding on a shared editor platform, like collabedit.com. The coding needs to be pretty clean, concise and correct. You are asked to detect and fix bugs in your code.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

They contacted me for the position.
    HR discussion was good
    Technical interview was not a great experience. The interviewer had no understanding of the industry I was coming from so there was huge gap.

Questions

3. hash map
    4. project explanation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2013.

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call by HR within a couple of days. Was called for 1st round of onsite interview. It didn't go great but I qualified for the 2nd round which consisted of four interview...two rounds of pure coding, one round of system design, and one round of behavioral plus small coding interview. I didn't do very well in one or more of these and didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • When there is no dedicated architect in the team of all software engineers and non-technical manager how do you do the design and architecture of the software.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook.

I had a very bad interview experience with Facebook Seattle recently. Two days after the interview, they called me and asked for references and told me they would provide the feedback in the next day. Not happening but after 5 days, they told me I did not have an offer but I can apply again in 3 months because there are some bugs in my codes and also in the design question interview, although I answered all the questions right but I did not push through it.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Facebook recruiters approached me at a conference. Interview followed shortly thereafter; all interviewers had looked at my resume and were ready to ask me questions about my grad work, something that I didn't see in a lot of places. They even put me on the phone with their VP of data infrastructure, which was something that I wouldn't really expect from a company their size. Overall, a great process.

Interview Questions
    • I got some fairly detailed questioning on my research, which was something I didn't really expect for a technical interview.   Answer Question

I found a position at a startup, and the opportunity cost of turning the startup down for a more established company was too high.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

I entered the process via a recruiter I'd worked with previously.

I started out with a phone screen that went well -- some simple puzzle questions that were easy to work out on the fly.

From there I moved on to the on-site interview. This was a series of 4-5 one-on-one interviews with engineers who posed various technical problems -- whiteboard coding, design problems. I found the questions moderately challenging, but none were killers. I'm pretty sure there was a "culture fit" session in there somewhere, too.

I didn't like what I sensed of the interviewers' attitudes -- most of them seemed more interested in showing how smart he was than in hearing from me. It hinted at a lack of confidence, and a work atmosphere with some unhealthy internal politics and competition.

Interview Questions
    • I recall that the questions were moderately challenging, but not killers by any means.   Answer Question

Unimpressed by what I saw of the attitudes / culture.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in December 2010.

I received a phone call a few days after applying for a position online. After a brief screening of my skills, the recruiter set up a phase-1 interview with a single Engineer. She gave me the option of doing it over the phone or at the Facebook headquarters. I chose the latter because I live nearby. I was scheduled for a 45 minute interview. The engineer was very friendly and inquisitive about my past projects. This is the easy part, talking about myself. He didn't have a copy of my resume, which I thought was lame. Anyway, after discussing my more recent projects, we moved on to the whiteboard coding part of the interview. This part was a pleasant surprise. It was done in a collaborative way, where I would discuss my solution, psudo-code, then code, and receive suggestions or other form of input from the engineer. The last 15 minutes were spent discussing the culture at Facebook and specifics about the team I was interviewing for. It took them more than a week to get back to me, which I would like to think was because they wanted to complete interviews for the other candidates.