Facebook Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014

3.5

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in April 2010.

This was probably one of the longest interview processes I had to go through. The recruiter was wonderful. She was always very professional and responsive. First I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. It was a very straight forward conversation and he asked me to give him some pseudo code on how to square a number using their online tool. Standard algorithm questions which I answered correctly. Afterward, the recruiter said it went well and that she would be in contact with me about what the next steps are. A week goes by and she calls me back telling me I have to write an Adobe Air or Java application using the Facebook API's.

I thought it was a little bit much for them to ask me to spend my time writing something I would not be getting paid for. I really wanted to get the job and impress the hiring manager though so I spent my free time, over a two week period making something that looked great and worked really well. It then took them two months to review the application. To me this was totally unprofessional and kind of a slap in the face. The recruiter was in contact with me the whole time and told me they were all busy with their big change to the privacy features.

Finally the hiring manager looked at the application but the recruiter told me they wanted someone else internal to look at the code as well. She told me they were impressed with the application and had rejected a lot of other candidates applications right away. I sat in limbo another few weeks while another person looked at the application. The recruiter then calls me back to tell me that the position I was applying for was dropped. Not that they hired someone else, but that they changed the role I was applying for completely. I think the software engineering interview process has hit an all time low.

First they make the engineer jump through hoops of logic games. Then spout out algorithms and uses of design patterns like robots. Finally you have to spend your free time writing something that they are only going to throw in the garbage. We have all really fallen to a sad state.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2010.

I had a phone interview with a Facebook recruiter. That lead to a phone screen with an engineer and code tests using a shared text editor. I was then invited on-site for an all day marathon of four 45 minute whiteboard interviews.

The on-site was odd. Of the 4, 2 interviews were decent and work related: high level discussions of design. The other 2 were standard Valley algorithm tests. I really don't see the point of these things. They have no relation to actual work and are completely arbitrary.

Interview Questions
    • Write a list class where the only data structure available is a stack   View Answer
    • Write a method to generate the Fibonacci series   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in December 2010.

I received a phone call a few days after applying for a position online. After a brief screening of my skills, the recruiter set up a phase-1 interview with a single Engineer. She gave me the option of doing it over the phone or at the Facebook headquarters. I chose the latter because I live nearby. I was scheduled for a 45 minute interview. The engineer was very friendly and inquisitive about my past projects. This is the easy part, talking about myself. He didn't have a copy of my resume, which I thought was lame. Anyway, after discussing my more recent projects, we moved on to the whiteboard coding part of the interview. This part was a pleasant surprise. It was done in a collaborative way, where I would discuss my solution, psudo-code, then code, and receive suggestions or other form of input from the engineer. The last 15 minutes were spent discussing the culture at Facebook and specifics about the team I was interviewing for. It took them more than a week to get back to me, which I would like to think was because they wanted to complete interviews for the other candidates.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2011.

Initially asked about computer science concepts on Data Structures, algorithms. Afther half hour of talk, then i was asked to code some algorithm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2013.

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call by HR within a couple of days. Was called for 1st round of onsite interview. It didn't go great but I qualified for the 2nd round which consisted of four interview...two rounds of pure coding, one round of system design, and one round of behavioral plus small coding interview. I didn't do very well in one or more of these and didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • When there is no dedicated architect in the team of all software engineers and non-technical manager how do you do the design and architecture of the software.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Short talk with a recruiter, followed by a phone interview. Phone interview involved talking about my previous projects, why facebook, was there anything that concerned me about the role, etc. It then involved a coding question which i've detailed below:

Interview Questions
    • Implement a method called printNonComments() which prints out a extract of text with comments removed.

For example, the input:

hello /* this is a
      multi line comment */ all

Should produce:

hello
      all

You have access to a method called getNextLine() which returns the next line in the input string.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Was submitted as an employee referral, so this may have been quicker than some other folks' experience; first talk with a recruiter to offer was about 10 days. The recruiting team was very on the ball, also.

Had one talk with a recruiter about my background, a technical phone screen (as with many companies, writing actual code over a shared-document web page), and a half day on site of in-person interviews. Interviews on site were 3 technical sessions (two coding, one design), a deep discussion of my experience and work style with a manager, and a social lunch (which one should assume is also a "fit" interview although no company I've visited called it that.)

Interviewers were down to earth rather than with the attitude I'd expect of some of the large "hot" companies; the two coding problems involved fairly standard (if potentially fiddly) string or graph manipulations -- one required recursion (or a fairly complicated stack structure) while the other was easier iteratively, and I was asked to re-implement it using recursion in remaining time. As with pretty well everywhere, expect to also give a big-O estimate of the run time, and find some failure cases (or at least explain where you're already handling it.)

The design interview question was tailored to some specialized work I've done and the particular is probably not representative of most groups; as I understand it, everyone gets some level of design interview and it's usually roughly some form of "how would you build this part of an app like ours for our scale."

Got my offer a few days after interviewing. Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the design problem; the most difficult was one of the technical questions which was to implement a subset of regular expression.   Answer Question
    I presented another offer I had on the table, and they beat it sufficiently definitively and sufficiently quickly that accepted immediately... I should have countered at least once. Good offer, very competitive, but I still feel like I soft-balled them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Facebook recruiters approached me at a conference. Interview followed shortly thereafter; all interviewers had looked at my resume and were ready to ask me questions about my grad work, something that I didn't see in a lot of places. They even put me on the phone with their VP of data infrastructure, which was something that I wouldn't really expect from a company their size. Overall, a great process.

Interview Questions
    • I got some fairly detailed questioning on my research, which was something I didn't really expect for a technical interview.   Answer Question

I found a position at a startup, and the opportunity cost of turning the startup down for a more established company was too high.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Recruiter contacted me.
    First telephonic interview was 45 mins and a single coding question.
    All interviewers were good except one of the interviewer who asked about system design question (he was rude and wanted to show off).
    1) Behavior - prepare for difficult bug etc. questions. What u want to do at Facebook.
    2) Lunch
    3) System design - give more importance to these type of questions. Asked me about design a system to run a command on all the servers (say 1 million) within the same network from one of the server on the network.
    4) Coding - Given a NxN matrix with values X and O where X represent land and O represent water find the number of islands. Two consecutive X X (horizontal or vertical) will be part of single island while diagonal X X are not. (Solve using graph - DFS or BFS)
    5) Coding - from list of strings, generate list of list of strings which are anagrams of each other.

I did really well, but I guess not good compared to other candidates.

Overall interview was easy if you have prepared for Algos and Data Structures. Please give more attention to
    1) Writing perfect code on white board.
    2) System design questions

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2013.

They contacted me for the position.
    HR discussion was good
    Technical interview was not a great experience. The interviewer had no understanding of the industry I was coming from so there was huge gap.

Questions