Facebook

Updated Nov 2, 2014

3.5

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

One technical interview conducted on campus. Very quick response time and nice people. I would learn one language and be a master at it before going for the interview. Have very good reasons for why facebook specifically

Interview Questions
  • Manipulate large lines of keywords to print them with count   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

First round, a 45 minutes phone interview. At the first 15 minutes, the interviewer gave me a brief introduction of his group, and asked me to introduce myself and my experience. In the second part, which is a 30 minutes, he asked me some coding problems.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a question about 'decoding' which means decoding a message with a mapping between number and character. Actually it is this question http://oj.leetcode.com/problems/decode-ways/ ... I knew this after the interview...   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Applied online, was contacted by a recruiter. Had one phone screen then was asked to come in for a full loop at the Seattle campus.

The culture is unusual for a tech company. It is both good and not so great. The interview was amateur grade. All of the people who interviewed me, except one, had significantly less experience than I did. It's not an ego issue. In most cases, they had a little more than 1 year of experience. The problem with someone like that interviewing you is that they might not know of a good way to do it. For example, I was constantly interrupted. I let them know that I was thinking out loud and that everything I say might not be the best way to do something. When I have something concrete I'll set it forward and we can discuss that. That didn't stop the interruptions. I'd lose my train of thought and would have to start again. Again, while writing code, the same thing. I said that the code isn't optimized, i'll optimize it later. I'm trying to get it right, then tweak it later. Every few lines, I was asked if something was necessary.

I was pretty frustrated by the end. I wish I could tell them that you're interviewing me- meaning you want to see how I think, check my problem solving ability and NOT show how much you know. You're probably good at what you do, else you wouldn't have been there. Can we please focus on me solving the problem?

In other interviews, at other companies, I've noticed the more experience a person has the more patient and observant they are during an interview. They will ask questions and prod, but almost never interrupt unless you're heading down a seriously questionable line of thinking path.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were quite straight forward. It wasn't a difficult interview. Just... good luck getting good interviewers.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Phone interview, then an interview at the headquarters

Interview Questions
    • putting the largest prime factorization in a given pattern   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Online Coding test + 2 interview 1 hr each

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in June 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter via telephone. The phone conversation was simple enough to warrant a trip to the office. The office was nice- catered food, and unlimited soda and candies. The first round interview lasts about 1 hour and consists of questions (no surprise) asking about time complexities calculation and data structures. Make sure you at LEAST know tree traversals before you go into the interview. Given the short time limit, feel free to ask your interviewer for help to speed up your answering.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2013.

I sent my resume some time ago, then was contacted by a recruiter. We went over my experience and interests. Then I got a technical phone interview, followed by on-site interviews (with a manager + 2 coding interviews + 1 design interview). Got another phone coding interview afterwards. Then received an offer.

All the people I spoke with and/or met were very friendly and the overall experience was very positive. The campus is nothing short of amazing.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not too difficult in nature (but not trivial either), but I did prepare for them and I have some direct relevant experience which helped.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2012.

A series of phone interviews, final round is on main campus.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers, find the sub array with the largest sum. (must be done in linear time)   View Answers (4)

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was an interview where Facebook came to our University to hire students. First we talked a little about what I do, the interviewer does. He asked me about my Interests in Facebook, about why I'd want to work there. After that came the coding - he explained it not so strait forward..

Interview Questions
    • How can you get the edit distance between two strings?
      Edit distance being the minimal number of operations(Insertion, Deletion, Substitution) you have to do on the strings for them to be the same.

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

It was a phone screen, first the interviewer asked me a couple of questions about my background. Then he asked me to solve two technical problem. Finally he let me ask questions about Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not too difficult but I need write bug free code. The first question was reversing a linked list using recursion and non-recursion method. The other one was sorting color question.   Answer Question