Facebook Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I got two phone screens. Then Facebook flew me in from Europe for onsite interviews: 1 design interview, 1 "culture fit" interview, and 4 coding/datastructures. I did well to pretty much of all them except one coding. After about two weeks, the recruiter contacted me to tell me that they weren't able to take a decision, so I got an extra phone interview with a "very senior" guy a few days afterwards.

It was an enjoyable experience for most of it. The most important problem was one interviewer who was obviously not ready to give interviews: he was totally unable to explain the problem I was supposed to solve and was interrupting me every minute.

Interview Questions

• write a program that solves linear equations with - + and * operators given as strings. For example the input can be: "8+5+x+3*x = 10-x+4*3*x"   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

2 phone interviews Got a phone interview with FB through a recruiter . first 15 minutes are pretty standard background questions like what challenges or what you learned through previous projects and experience. Then followed by two coding questions:

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

- received offer to interview in email
    - had a phone screen with recruiter
    - had a phone screen with questions from a software engineer. The engineer was very difficult to understand. I asked him to pick up the handset and he said that he was unable to.

Interview Questions

• First question: for a random-ordered bucket of numbers 1 through 3000 with one number missing, how would you detect which number is missing?   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Facebook (Madison, WI) in February 2012.

Interview

Just ask Two questions
    Use write board or paper to write down the code

Interview Questions

• print the number ordered by the level in a binary tree   2 Answers
    • use stack to pop out the max num under O(1)   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Mostly the regular algorithm problem, like binary tree, linked list and string manipulations. A couple of them are related with real products of Facebook. One interviewer is particularly interested with the experience of distributed system.

Interview Questions

• Edit distance of words and distributed system questions.   1 Answer