Facebook

Getting the Interview

97 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted resume in Campus Recruiting. Got an phone interview and an online test. In the phone interview, the interviewer asked questions on my resume, and some projects I did. Then he asked a programming problem. Then the HR invited me to a online test. The online test is on interviewstreet.com. The problem is not very easy.

Interview Question – Compute square root of a integer, without using the built-in sqrt method.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – Reached out recruiter on campus career fair. Got campus interview and later on-site interview. Since I had another pending offer deadline before the on-site interview date, they rescheduled the on-site interview via phone (which is a pity). The on campus interview (45min) only had one question on whiteboard I made it smoothly. The phone interview, however had two questions in 45min. I spent 30 mins on the first one and didn't finished the second question, but the interviewer was super nice! He gave me some hints on the second one and discussed with me about the question when I knew I already ran out of time. He even answered my question patiently. I had a pending offer deadline and requested a quick feedback, and two days later I got the offer! That was awesome since I didn't expect to get it at first.

Interview Question – The phone interview was kind hard and none of them appeared one leetcode etc. But do not stress out since engineers are friendly and helpful.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They were super nice people.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Two interviews, back to back, 30 minutes each. They were reasonably difficult, but nothing too difficult. Given the time constraint, it can be very hard to through all the questions. Post-interview however, the recruiter took us out to dinner.

Interview Question – Typical types of tree questions, such as finding the maximum tree length, closest path to various sets of nodes, along with being able to detect levels of all nodes as efficiently as possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for internships

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – Originally applied as a Production Engineer Intern, but the recruiter thought I was a better fit for SE. Interview consisted of the usual personal question and a coding problem in collabedit. It's a twist on the classic palindrome question. After following up about 5 or 6 days later, I was rejected.

Interview Question – Check if two strings (including caps, whitespace, punctuation) are palindromes without doing any preprocessing. I wrote my code in Java.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Interview Details – I spoke to an engineer at a university career fair and gave them my resume. I was contacted the next day for an on-campus 45-minute interview. The interviewer was nice and got straight to the technical questions. He asked two. The first was easy, and I spent the rest of the time on the second. He gave me hints as I struggled along.

I was told we would receive feedback in the next week. I got an email a week later about flying to their Menlo Park, CA HQ for an on-site interview and tours/talks. The schedule consisted of one 45 minute interview, and the rest of the day was lunch, a tour, and two tech talks. It was very relaxing! The interviewer asked me one technical question and built it up a bit, and then he asked me about the most recent bug I encountered.

It took them three weeks to get back to me, which made me think I didn't get the job, but I got the offer in the end!

They were really nice and really wanted to get to know you as a person, not just whether you know your algorithms. They also really cared about showing their interest in hiring you, which was a plus and not something you get at a lot of big tech companies.

I had a great experience!

Interview Questions

• Given a library of numbers to corresponding letters (1 = a, 2 = b, 3 = c, etc.) and a string made up of digits, return how many different ways those digits can be translated to letters.
    ex: “1111”: “aaaa” “kaa” “aka” “aak” “kk” => 5 different ways
      View Answer
  • Print out the nodes of a binary tree level by level.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I was interview for a internship position. The interview was on-campus and was relatively easy.

Interview Question – Ordinary technical interview   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Interview Details – Campus Interview

Interview Question – Convert a binary tree into a circular doubly linked list. The order of the elements in the linked list have to be the order of elements you get when you do an in order traversal of the binary tree.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – I went to the career fair at my school and talked to Facebook, submitted my resume. They got back to me after around 2 weeks inviting me for an on-campus interview. The interview went well, they just wanted to know how you approach the problem. I think I've made a bunch of small "brain-not-working-in-interviews" mistakes but the interviewer was very nice. The second day they invited me to an onsite at Menlo Park.

Interview Question – Trees and streams   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details – I received a mail from HR to give my basic information and programming skills. There was no phone interview with HR at all so we arranged technical interview through mail. The interviewer was very nice and polite, so you don't have to be scared at all. It will help you if you stuck.

Interview Question – On my technical interview I was asked questions about time and space complexity, and to implement some simple algorithms. Example - check if string is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Facebook.

Interview Details – Contacted through recruiter, on campus interview 45 minutes.

Interview Question – The technical question itself wasn't hard. I thought I did okay but I have no idea what the interviewer was thinking or even saw what I was doing since he was on his phone the whole time. Overall, not as hard as I excepted but the whole thing just felt very unprofessional. It seemed like he already made up his mind about me after the first 10 minutes then moved on.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook Software Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 97 interview reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees and interview candidates.