Facebook Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2014

3.1

102 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through my school career services office and was scheduled for a phone screen. The phone screen consisted of two pretty easy questions. Afterwards, I was flown out to Menlo Park for a full day at Facebook's campus. The on-site was just one interview followed by a few hours of tours and free food.

Interview Questions
  • Design a data structure that supports insert, delete min, delete max, get min, and get max, all in log(n) time.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

One phone interview and one onsite interview. The process is relatively quick because I contact the HR directly.
    The interviewer and the HR are very very nice. Talking to them really makes me feel relaxed.
    I had the onsite interview at Facebook New York office. The working environment there is just amazing. I think if you enjoy the job as a software engineer, you would love that.

Interview Questions
    • No very difficult questions. Just take it easy and enjoy the process. Almost all of the question are from the <Cracking the Coding Interview>. A quick response and emphasize on the issue of efficiency are important.
      I think Facebook love to ask questions about the tree structure and some practical questions because they are realistic problems. When you prepare and practice, do remember that efficiency is a really significant issue, much more important than simply giving an answer.
      And I would like recommend another book <Programming pearls>. Maybe the book is not a hard one to read, but the thought of the author, why the author wants to improve some algorithm and how he solves problems are really fantastic. The questions are from realistic problems and the book is really worth reading several times. It benefits me a lot.
        Answer Question
    I think it is a great opportunity for me. The interview and the HR are so nice. I would like to work there even without payment. So why should I negotiate ? :)

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

I originally had applied to Facebook through their online portal. After a few weeks of no response I reached out to a recruiter at a Facebook event and she saw my resume. After I convinced her I was ready for the interviews, she set up my first phone interview of three total.
    After the interviewer gave a fairly long intro of his bg I was asked several behavioral questions. I was asked why I picked Facebook, what is my field of interest, and had to discuss a project of mine.
    At this point we reached the technical portion. He asked me the following question.
    Q: Given a number n, return a number formed from the same digits of n that is the number right before n. Example: Given 1342, you must return the number 1324.
    After this we spent a fairly lengthy period of time talking about coding habits, facebook, push cycles, and other production related questions I asked.
    At the end of this interview I felt terrible, I thought I'd completely failed it because I only answered one question. I couldn't sleep all night, but then the next day itself I received an e-mail saying I'd passed to the second round. They asked if I wanted some time to brush up before going in for my final interview. I asked for a week and prepared.
    My second interviewer called from a conference room due to which the sound quality was a bit off. We talked and she asked me a few similar questions to the first interviewer delving into my background, projects, and my schoolwork. Eventually we began the coding questions.
    The first question was the LCA problem with no parent pointers. I immediately started analyzing the problem's base cases for recursion, determined an optimum algorithm that covered all cases, and wrote the solution before coding. After explaining it and running through test examples I began coding the solution. After coding it, I spent a fair amount of time proving my code works with the interviewer before she accepted it worked. We had approximately 15 minutes left at this point so he said we can begin another problem before ending five minutes early, a statement I was confused by.
    The second question was to design a method to store really large numbers that exceed 64 bits, and then to write a method that can add two of these numbers. I began coding and had just finished the code when he said we ran out of time. He asked me about any questions I had and seemed to be in a hurry so I asked a few questions then the interview ended.
    At this point I waited for approximately 2 weeks after I sent two emails to my recruiter asking about the feedback from the interview. I was asked to do a third phone interview with a product team member as the engineers had noted I was interested in product development. I was a bit confused but happy overall to still be in the running. We scheduled it for a few days later and I went in relaxed.
    In the interview, I was asked why Facebook, a project of mine, which field I'm interested in and why, followed by a technical question. I coded in Java although she mentioned she hadn't used Java in a while so she didn't care as much about the syntax.
    The first question was the classic anagram question. I described two solutions, one using a HashTable and one relying on bucketsort. I coded both methods and did a complexity analysis before she expanded the problem. Now rather than checking if two strings were anagrams, I had to group a list of strings by anagram grouping. I described how we could use a Hashtable to store the sorted string as a key, and have the original string be contained in the value as a linked lists. After writing the algorithm out in pseudocode she said I didn't have to implement it in Java and that she believed it would work. After a complexity analysis she then asked me this mix of behavioral technical questions.
    What would you do if Mark Zuckerberg came to your desk and told you Facebook was slow and he wanted you to fix it.
    She then asked me to describe a product I'd design if I worked at Facebook. I mentioned several related to data analytical tools for Facebook users on their own data. I mentioned the benefit to users before naming another idea involving querying newsfeed for posts related to the topics described in the query.
    After this she asked me if I had any questions for her before she told me that my recruiter would get back to me within a week. I waited three days before I received an e-mail from my recruiter that she wanted to talk for a few minutes if I had time. I immediately responded I was free and she called me shortly after.
    She then gave me my offer for an internship in Menlo Park, described the components of the compensation, and explained briefly the process involved with the internship. Afterwards she asked me if I had any questions. I was too blown away so I just said I'd email her once I think of questions before we ended the call. I accepted that night.

Interview Questions
    • Given a number n, find the largest number just smaller than n that can be formed using the same digits as n.   View Answer
    • Design a system to store large numbers and a function to add them.   View Answer
    • How would you make Facebook faster?   View Answers (2)
    • 1. Given two strings, determine whether they are anagrams.
      2. Given a list of strings, return a list of lists of strings, which represents the list grouping strings by whether they are anagrams of one another.
        View Answer
    • LCA problem with no parent pointers. Given the root of a tree and pointers to two nodes contained in that tree, return the lowest common ancestor of the two nodes. IE, the common ancestor furthest from the root.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation for me as I had no other offers. I have heard that if you have a competitive offer from a rival company then they are willing to negotiate a little bit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

Contacted me over email after submitting to Facebook U. I had an interview with an engineer a month after I submitted my resume. The recruiter was very friendly and kind throughout the entire process.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook.

Two interviews, back to back, 30 minutes each. They were reasonably difficult, but nothing too difficult. Given the time constraint, it can be very hard to through all the questions. Post-interview however, the recruiter took us out to dinner.

Interview Questions
    • Typical types of tree questions, such as finding the maximum tree length, closest path to various sets of nodes, along with being able to detect levels of all nodes as efficiently as possible.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for internships

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook.

I was interview for a internship position. The interview was on-campus and was relatively easy.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook.

I went to the career fair at my school and talked to Facebook, submitted my resume. They got back to me after around 2 weeks inviting me for an on-campus interview. The interview went well, they just wanted to know how you approach the problem. I think I've made a bunch of small "brain-not-working-in-interviews" mistakes but the interviewer was very nice. The second day they invited me to an onsite at Menlo Park.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook.

Contacted through recruiter, on campus interview 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question itself wasn't hard. I thought I did okay but I have no idea what the interviewer was thinking or even saw what I was doing since he was on his phone the whole time. Overall, not as hard as I excepted but the whole thing just felt very unprofessional. It seemed like he already made up his mind about me after the first 10 minutes then moved on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Originally applied as a Production Engineer Intern, but the recruiter thought I was a better fit for SE. Interview consisted of the usual personal question and a coding problem in collabedit. It's a twist on the classic palindrome question. After following up about 5 or 6 days later, I was rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Check if two strings (including caps, whitespace, punctuation) are palindromes without doing any preprocessing. I wrote my code in Java.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Reached out recruiter on campus career fair. Got campus interview and later on-site interview. Since I had another pending offer deadline before the on-site interview date, they rescheduled the on-site interview via phone (which is a pity). The on campus interview (45min) only had one question on whiteboard I made it smoothly. The phone interview, however had two questions in 45min. I spent 30 mins on the first one and didn't finished the second question, but the interviewer was super nice! He gave me some hints on the second one and discussed with me about the question when I knew I already ran out of time. He even answered my question patiently. I had a pending offer deadline and requested a quick feedback, and two days later I got the offer! That was awesome since I didn't expect to get it at first.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was kind hard and none of them appeared one leetcode etc. But do not stress out since engineers are friendly and helpful.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They were super nice people.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!