Facebook

Facebook Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.1

100 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2010.

First HR person contact me and asked to solve few puzzles and then she contacted me and asked easy questions and scheduled a date for an technical interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer (Intern) Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2010.

First interview was a simple resume checker. Then two interviews with a software engineer with live online coding problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in August 2010.

A short 15 minute phone interview with a recruiter was followed by an interview with an engineer. I was asked about projects I had previously worked on and for examples of challenges I had to solve in them. Afterwards programming questions on algorithms with space and time constraints were asked and had to be solved in an online editor.

Interview Questions
    • Output a single linked list in reverse, in linear time and constant space, and recursively   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in November 2010.

The first round of the interview is by a HR. She asked me some basic question of data structure and algorithms. And then she asked me to solve the puzzle whose difficulty is more than "meal".
    I solved the puzzle in the weekend and send back her mail, and then she arranged an engineer to give a technical interview in the next week.
    The technical interview is made up of three questions and all of them are about coding.
    The first two are not that difficult, and easy to get the solution.
    The last one is some difficult.

I get a declined mail in the next Monday after the interview :(

Interview Questions
    • Delete the node with the associated key in the linked list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in March 2011.

After I sent in a resume, they called me. I first talked to a kind women in HR, who approved me for two technical interviews. The first went rather poorly (or so I thought), but the interviewer was kind enough to help when I had a minor issue. The second will occur soon.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2012.

The interviewers were very nice - couldn't understand what one interviewer was saying, but he wrote the tasks and it was ok in the end. Had planned 3 technical interviews in total, failed the last one. The recruiters were extremely nice and prompt. Will definitely apply next year, all the interviewers seemed to be energetic and enthusiastic about their work - sound like the team I want to be part of and definitely worth the struggle.

Interview Questions
    • given the utitlies getFriend(User u) and areFriends(User u1, User u2), write the function which takes as parameter the array of users and return a bool saying if you can divide the users in 2 groups s.t. if u1 and u2 both belong to a certain group, they are not friends.   View Answers (3)
    • remove duplicates in a string.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2011.

I had two technical interviews, both on the phone since I live in Europe and all of Facebook's development is done in the U.S. They talk to you on the phone while asking questions, then you code in an online text editor of which they can see the results live as well.
    They're very reasonable during these interviews: when you didn't quite get a question, they'll happily explain it better, if your answer is good but not quite there, they'll point you in the direction they want to hear more details about, and so on.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook in March 2012.

The interview process is quite simple, firstly, the interviewer and me introduced each other. Then, I get a programming question to solve.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose we can translate numbers into characters: 1->a, 2->b, ...26->z
      given an integer, for example, 11223, output every translation of the number.

View Answers (12)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

First they organized a test of online puzzle. After completing it, they contacted after about 1-2 weeks and set up the interview time. The first interview was over phone and asked me about basic things like what I've worked on and which technologies I am familiar with. The second interview (also over phone) was a technical interview and I was given a problem to solve where the interviewer could also see me coding (via a screen sharing site). And as I was coding, he was asking me why I was doing them and suggested me to improve the algorithm.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult part was to follow his suggestions and change my algorithm upon that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in October 2011.

The interview process comprised of a technical round held at my university. My interviewer was very polite, and patiently explained the problem statement to me. I asked for further clarification of the problem statement, to which he mapped out the problem on the whiteboard. The challenge involved writing code in whichever language I was comfortable in. The problem was to convert roman literals into its equivalent numeric value. I used the whiteboard to solve the problem. I walked the interviewer through the solution and he asked questions on edge case scenarios.
    Overall, the interview went ok, but I did not receive a next round call. This was probably because my solution was not optimal and upto their expectations. It was a good experience and I learnt a lot from it