Facebook Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

102 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

One phone interview and one onsite interview. The process is relatively quick because I contact the HR directly.
The interviewer and the HR are very very nice. Talking to them really makes me feel relaxed.
I had the onsite interview at Facebook New York office. The working environment there is just amazing. I think if you enjoy the job as a software engineer, you would love that.

Interview Questions
  • No very difficult questions. Just take it easy and enjoy the process. Almost all of the question are from the <Cracking the Coding Interview>. A quick response and emphasize on the issue of efficiency are important.
    I think Facebook love to ask questions about the tree structure and some practical questions because they are realistic problems. When you prepare and practice, do remember that efficiency is a really significant issue, much more important than simply giving an answer.
    And I would like recommend another book <Programming pearls>. Maybe the book is not a hard one to read, but the thought of the author, why the author wants to improve some algorithm and how he solves problems are really fantastic. The questions are from realistic problems and the book is really worth reading several times. It benefits me a lot.
      Answer Question
I think it is a great opportunity for me. The interview and the HR are so nice. I would like to work there even without payment. So why should I negotiate ? :)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

Contacted me over email after submitting to Facebook U. I had an interview with an engineer a month after I submitted my resume. The recruiter was very friendly and kind throughout the entire process.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through my school career services office and was scheduled for a phone screen. The phone screen consisted of two pretty easy questions. Afterwards, I was flown out to Menlo Park for a full day at Facebook's campus. The on-site was just one interview followed by a few hours of tours and free food.

Interview Questions
    • Design a data structure that supports insert, delete min, delete max, get min, and get max, all in log(n) time.   View Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

I originally had applied to Facebook through their online portal. After a few weeks of no response I reached out to a recruiter at a Facebook event and she saw my resume. After I convinced her I was ready for the interviews, she set up my first phone interview of three total.
    After the interviewer gave a fairly long intro of his bg I was asked several behavioral questions. I was asked why I picked Facebook, what is my field of interest, and had to discuss a project of mine.
    At this point we reached the technical portion. He asked me the following question.
    Q: Given a number n, return a number formed from the same digits of n that is the number right before n. Example: Given 1342, you must return the number 1324.
    After this we spent a fairly lengthy period of time talking about coding habits, facebook, push cycles, and other production related questions I asked.
    At the end of this interview I felt terrible, I thought I'd completely failed it because I only answered one question. I couldn't sleep all night, but then the next day itself I received an e-mail saying I'd passed to the second round. They asked if I wanted some time to brush up before going in for my final interview. I asked for a week and prepared.
    My second interviewer called from a conference room due to which the sound quality was a bit off. We talked and she asked me a few similar questions to the first interviewer delving into my background, projects, and my schoolwork. Eventually we began the coding questions.
    The first question was the LCA problem with no parent pointers. I immediately started analyzing the problem's base cases for recursion, determined an optimum algorithm that covered all cases, and wrote the solution before coding. After explaining it and running through test examples I began coding the solution. After coding it, I spent a fair amount of time proving my code works with the interviewer before she accepted it worked. We had approximately 15 minutes left at this point so he said we can begin another problem before ending five minutes early, a statement I was confused by.
    The second question was to design a method to store really large numbers that exceed 64 bits, and then to write a method that can add two of these numbers. I began coding and had just finished the code when he said we ran out of time. He asked me about any questions I had and seemed to be in a hurry so I asked a few questions then the interview ended.
    At this point I waited for approximately 2 weeks after I sent two emails to my recruiter asking about the feedback from the interview. I was asked to do a third phone interview with a product team member as the engineers had noted I was interested in product development. I was a bit confused but happy overall to still be in the running. We scheduled it for a few days later and I went in relaxed.
    In the interview, I was asked why Facebook, a project of mine, which field I'm interested in and why, followed by a technical question. I coded in Java although she mentioned she hadn't used Java in a while so she didn't care as much about the syntax.
    The first question was the classic anagram question. I described two solutions, one using a HashTable and one relying on bucketsort. I coded both methods and did a complexity analysis before she expanded the problem. Now rather than checking if two strings were anagrams, I had to group a list of strings by anagram grouping. I described how we could use a Hashtable to store the sorted string as a key, and have the original string be contained in the value as a linked lists. After writing the algorithm out in pseudocode she said I didn't have to implement it in Java and that she believed it would work. After a complexity analysis she then asked me this mix of behavioral technical questions.
    What would you do if Mark Zuckerberg came to your desk and told you Facebook was slow and he wanted you to fix it.
    She then asked me to describe a product I'd design if I worked at Facebook. I mentioned several related to data analytical tools for Facebook users on their own data. I mentioned the benefit to users before naming another idea involving querying newsfeed for posts related to the topics described in the query.
    After this she asked me if I had any questions for her before she told me that my recruiter would get back to me within a week. I waited three days before I received an e-mail from my recruiter that she wanted to talk for a few minutes if I had time. I immediately responded I was free and she called me shortly after.
    She then gave me my offer for an internship in Menlo Park, described the components of the compensation, and explained briefly the process involved with the internship. Afterwards she asked me if I had any questions. I was too blown away so I just said I'd email her once I think of questions before we ended the call. I accepted that night.

Interview Questions
    • Given a number n, find the largest number just smaller than n that can be formed using the same digits as n.   View Answer
    • Design a system to store large numbers and a function to add them.   View Answer
    • How would you make Facebook faster?   View Answers (2)
    • 1. Given two strings, determine whether they are anagrams.
      2. Given a list of strings, return a list of lists of strings, which represents the list grouping strings by whether they are anagrams of one another.
        Answer Question
    • LCA problem with no parent pointers. Given the root of a tree and pointers to two nodes contained in that tree, return the lowest common ancestor of the two nodes. IE, the common ancestor furthest from the root.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation for me as I had no other offers. I have heard that if you have a competitive offer from a rival company then they are willing to negotiate a little bit.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

I applied on Facebook's internship offers page by uploading my resume only and got an email 1 month later asking me further questions. Nothing difficult, just questions about myself, my studies, my favorite programming languages etc. I then scheduled a 45 minutes coding interview where I was asked 2 questions :

- Give all possible subsets of a set or powerset.
    For example : If a set of 3 elements. {1,2,3} is given, then all possible subsets would be
    {} - Empty Set
    {1,2,3} - Full set itself
    {1}
    {2}
    {3}
    {1,2}
    {2,3}
    {1,3}

- Find 3 elements in an array that sum to 0.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't exactly unexpected since I have read them on glassdoor before, but it did take me a while to get the first question right due to stress   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook.

Was contacted by a recruiter after submitting my CV online. She was very friendly and gave me an online programming test, followed by two technical phone interviews.

These phone interviews were with software engineers from the US and lasted 45min to 1 hour. We used collabedit so that they could see my code. After discussing my background briefly, they went through an easy question followed by a more difficult question.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers, return all possible subsets of length n.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Submitted resume in Campus Recruiting. Got an phone interview and an online test. In the phone interview, the interviewer asked questions on my resume, and some projects I did. Then he asked a programming problem. Then the HR invited me to a online test. The online test is on interviewstreet.com. The problem is not very easy.

Interview Questions
    • Compute square root of a integer, without using the built-in sqrt method.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Reached out recruiter on campus career fair. Got campus interview and later on-site interview. Since I had another pending offer deadline before the on-site interview date, they rescheduled the on-site interview via phone (which is a pity). The on campus interview (45min) only had one question on whiteboard I made it smoothly. The phone interview, however had two questions in 45min. I spent 30 mins on the first one and didn't finished the second question, but the interviewer was super nice! He gave me some hints on the second one and discussed with me about the question when I knew I already ran out of time. He even answered my question patiently. I had a pending offer deadline and requested a quick feedback, and two days later I got the offer! That was awesome since I didn't expect to get it at first.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was kind hard and none of them appeared one leetcode etc. But do not stress out since engineers are friendly and helpful.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They were super nice people.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook.

Two interviews, back to back, 30 minutes each. They were reasonably difficult, but nothing too difficult. Given the time constraint, it can be very hard to through all the questions. Post-interview however, the recruiter took us out to dinner.

Interview Questions
    • Typical types of tree questions, such as finding the maximum tree length, closest path to various sets of nodes, along with being able to detect levels of all nodes as efficiently as possible.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for internships

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Originally applied as a Production Engineer Intern, but the recruiter thought I was a better fit for SE. Interview consisted of the usual personal question and a coding problem in collabedit. It's a twist on the classic palindrome question. After following up about 5 or 6 days later, I was rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Check if two strings (including caps, whitespace, punctuation) are palindromes without doing any preprocessing. I wrote my code in Java.   View Answer

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!