Facebook Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2014

3.1

102 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Campus Interview

Interview Questions
  • Convert a binary tree into a circular doubly linked list. The order of the elements in the linked list have to be the order of elements you get when you do an in order traversal of the binary tree.   View Answers (3)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook.

I went to the career fair at my school and talked to Facebook, submitted my resume. They got back to me after around 2 weeks inviting me for an on-campus interview. The interview went well, they just wanted to know how you approach the problem. I think I've made a bunch of small "brain-not-working-in-interviews" mistakes but the interviewer was very nice. The second day they invited me to an onsite at Menlo Park.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

I received a mail from HR to give my basic information and programming skills. There was no phone interview with HR at all so we arranged technical interview through mail. The interviewer was very nice and polite, so you don't have to be scared at all. It will help you if you stuck.

Interview Questions
    • On my technical interview I was asked questions about time and space complexity, and to implement some simple algorithms. Example - check if string is a palindrome.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Facebook.

Contacted through recruiter, on campus interview 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question itself wasn't hard. I thought I did okay but I have no idea what the interviewer was thinking or even saw what I was doing since he was on his phone the whole time. Overall, not as hard as I excepted but the whole thing just felt very unprofessional. It seemed like he already made up his mind about me after the first 10 minutes then moved on.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter after dropping my resume at the career fair. After 2 phone screens, I was invited to attend a 'University Day' at the Menlo Park office for one onsite interview. Each phone screen is generally about 45 minutes long and consists of 2-3 programming questions to be coded on Collabedit. The recruiter and interviewers were very helpful and extremely organized.

Interview Questions
    • All programming interviews. Mostly questions on recursion, backtracking, trees and graph theory. Be comfortable with data structures too. Questions from Careercup and Glassdoor are helpful for practice.   Answer Question
    I was happy with the offer I received and did not negotiate.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Met a recruiter at an on campus job fair. Got contacted a week later regarding an on campus interview.

Interview Questions
    • Got asked two questions:
      1 - Return the length of the longest sequence of increasing numbers in an unsorted array
      2 - Print out a Binary Tree level by level
        View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Campus Interview. The interviewer is very nice and friendly. It is a 45 min interview.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook.

The guy is cool and nice. When I ask for a little clue, he said thanks for asking and the clue really help me out with the solution.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Recruited through college fair. Process was quick and easy and recruiter was very prompt.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

A friend from Facebook referred me. A recruiter called me few days later.

She sent me an email, asking general questions like: "When do you graduate? How often do you code? Strongest programming languages?"

After answering the email, I had an initial chat with her over the phone, where she asked general questions like: "What office do you prefer? Would you consider a position in UK after the internship?"

One week later I had the first technical interview. The interview started with 5 minutes of questions about my work, then we jumped into one coding interview question. The question was simple: Write a function which given two binary numbers as strings returns the sum of them in binary. 5 minutes for my questions at the end.

Few hours after the interview, I got an email from the recruiter saying that the feedback is very good and they would like to schedule the final interview.

The last interview was easier than the first one: "Given a list of strings, return a list of lists, where each list consists of words that are anagrams." Example: Given ["cab", "cz", "abc", "bca", "zc"] the output should be: [ [ "abc", "bca", "cab"] , [ "zc", cz"]]. I managed to finish this question quite fast (after only 15 min). The interviewer wanted to finish the interview after 15 minutes, but I insisted to get another question. The next question I've got was even easier: "Write a function which returns the nth number of Fibonacci". When I've seen the question I jumped straight away implementing it (took me like 2 minutes), then we compared the iterative method with the recursive one.

After the interview, I got an email from the recruiter saying that my coding skills are very good, but the interviewer complained about the fact that I was a bit careless when answering the questions, and that I didn't explained him the Fibo solution before writing code. They wanted to schedule another interview.

One week later I had the last interview, which was some kind of giving me another chance, because they usually have only 2 interviews.

The last interview was much more difficult than the other two. The first question was: "Write a recursive function which given a string, prints all the subsets of it." After solving this question, he added one constraint. Now what if you want only unique solutions? This was quite hard, and I only managed to solve it after he gave me one important hint.

The second day I received a standard rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string write a function which prints all the subsets of the string. Now make the function to return only unique solutions.

For example if they give you "abc"
      you print out
      a
      ab
      abc
      ac
      b
      bc
      c

Now for the unique solution constraint, if they give you "aba" the output should be:
      a