Facebook

Updated Nov 17, 2014

3.3

381 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

The interview is quite intense, including several rounds of coding, design, and culture interviews. Some interviewers can be annoying. One person showed great disbelief when I mistook one of their great technologies by something else. Another guy was pounding me about why I wanted to be an engineer. And in one coding interview, the guy was looking at his phone while I was doing whiteboard coding. He apparently has less knowledge about the interview subject, but he did manage to find a small bug and failed me. I am glad that they did --- how can I work with such assholes? Compared to other places I went, Facebook has the highest concentration of mediocre quality, high ego engineers. An unpleasant place for engineers!

Interview Questions
    • Design questions probably, as they seem to want you to match some preset answer in their brain.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview, simply ask some question about resume and then ask coding question. They sent a link to you and use the link to coding. Just one question, the question is typed by them in the link.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree by vertical level order

2 4
      3 5

print :
      1 5
        View Answers (6)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend.

Whole process took a week in a half - due to a pending deadline on my part.

I had a phone interview and was then invited onsite at the end of the week. The onsite interview was composed of 3 interviews. They were typical questions of any other technical interview questions - although slightly more tree-heavy than other companies.

On Monday I was contacted asking to provide references. I thought I had it in the bag because of this but Tuesday evening I was rejected.

I know that they were strong and wouldn't cause my rejection. So I guess references are asked for before the onsite interviews are processed?

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so won't disclose the exact questions - but I'd practice up on tree traversals before interviewing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

1 Behavior/Past experience
    2 Ninja
    3 Lunch (not rated)
    4 Design
    5 Ninja

The behavior interview is about 1 hour, just talking about your past and current experience and projects you have done, plus a 15 mins coding test.

first Ninja is an opening question, essentially creating your own question based on a scenario and do some coding. My experience was really good so you have the flexibility to design questions you are familiar with.

Lunch was chat with a senior team lead, relax and get to know what you want to know.

Design was easy for me, since I have done a similar system at my current job.

the last ninja really sucked, the question is about a really unconventional event processing model using "pulling" instead of standard "push" model (like Storm), and the interviewer does not talk much and was not happy when I proposed the much simpler and intuitive push model. I failed on this one.

Interview Questions
    • The second ninja (coding) test was about event processing system using pulling model, which literally no one in the industry is using.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

One on campus interview and one onsite interview. The on campus interview takes 45 minutes, the interviewer will ask first about the resume and project experience and then the ask one or two technical problems. If pass the on campus interview. There will be notification for an onsite interview after one or two business day.

Interview Questions
    • Find Minimum in Rotated Sorted Array
      Find the minimum element.
      Assume there is no duplicate exists in the array.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

The whole process was very fast.

I have applied through the web site and got reply on a same day.

1. Screening with recruiter (15-20 mins)
    2. Phone interview with an engineer (45 mins)
    3. Onsite interview with 4 people (2 coding, 1 system design, 1 culture fit + coding)

Interview Questions
    • I found system design question more difficult than others as I had no experience in designing large scalable systems.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

First round - Interview on campus. 45 minutes long. Half of the interview is your typical questions about your resume, what you know about the company, what you do. 2nd half is a coding question given by the interviewer.

2nd round - Pick your choice of location and do an interview there. I chose Menlo Park. Day consists of 4 interviews in the morning and a tour & culture overview in the afternoon. Of the 4 interviews 2 were almost purely coding questions. 1 was half and half. 1 was purely behavioral. Each interview lasts 45-50 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change something about Faceboook what would it be?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Facebook had come on campus.The first round was simple coding questions .The second round was a telephonic screening for 45 mins. The interviewer explained his job role and gave 5 mins in the end to ask questions

Interview Questions
    • 1--a
      2--b
      ...
      26--z
      given a digit , return the count of the possible output
      eg. '1313' --- 4
      acac mac mm acm
      '101' --1
      ja
      cannot discard any digit .
        View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

First I got a phone interview, where I was asked a few background questions like previous experience. After this, I received an email for an on-site interview. After a brief tour of the campus in Palo Alto, I was brought to a room where a Senior Software Engineer interviewed me. I was asked a number of simple questions, and then one complex coding question.