Facebook

Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.3

405 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer, Interview

The first interview was at my University. It was your typical 45 minute face-to-face whiteboard coding style interview. During the first five minutes, my interviewer introduced himself and asked me questions about myself. Be prepared to talk about yourself and your resume. The next 35 minutes were spent entirely on 1 question. After arriving at a naive solution, I fined-tuned and optimized my code. The last 5 minutes were reserved for any questions I had.

I passed the first interview, and went on to the second interview. The flew me down to HQ. This interview went horribly. The question was more difficult than the first interview, and my interviewer's accent made him difficult to understand. After the interview, I toured Facebook's campus and had lunch, etc.

Interview Questions
    • First interview question: dutch flag problem. Given three color objects arranged randomly in an array, arrange them such that each object is together and their collective color groups are in the correct order.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I got the opportunity through internal referral.

I passed an technical phone screening and was invited to an on-site. I had 5 interviews in total. Two coding, two system design, one with manager (on PhD research + a quick coding exercise).

The technical questions were not too difficult, but I was unprepared for the system design problems. One of the interviewers kept walking around in the room and was really distracting and annoying. I couldn't focus on solving the problem and didn't do well in that session.

The interviewing schedule was not the best. I was scheduled to have lunch at 2pm PST, but considering I'm from a couple time zones east of PST, I was already way too hungry to have lunch at that time. Perhaps a low blood sugar level also contributed to my impaired thinking abilities.

Interview Questions
    • Signed NDA. Distributed system design problems were out of my expectation as I do not claim any experience in that area nor was I interviewing with any positions related to that area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • 4 rounds onsite interviews. Not very difficult, need bug free. 45 mins each round, 5 mins break between them. People there are smart and nice. some resume questions, 1 to 2 coding problems each round   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

the hiring process was extremely efficient. they move as fast as you need.
    i got responses from the recruiter in minutes and two hours after the interview i got the results.
    the office looks nice and the people there also.
    it looked too young to my taste. didn't see there anyone older (over 45) with experience but this was only a quick look.
    i got a problem that i can solve in 20 min with my laptop, but wen you need to code it on a whiteboard it's a different skill i don't have.
    even though your concept is right - they look for potential bugs on your code so make sure you write carefully (i don't).

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

I applied through a conferene, then i received an email from facebook, we schedule an interview depending on my availability, the interview was on the phone and call that lasted around 45 minutes

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook.

Implement an asked simple function in an empty paper. Each type of variables (ex. int, double) and using conditional / iterative statement had to be chosen carefully to avoid a single mistake.
    Then typical personal questions came after the code interview.

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview. ask one project, and why want to work in facebook. Then ask two coding question. The first one is implement strstr(), and follow up is how to speed it up. The second question is 3 sum, and the element can be duplicated. Follow up is how to speed it up.

Interview Questions
    • the interviewer ask me how to optimize the strstr() brute force method, and I said we can use KMP algorithm to do it, then he move on, and don't ask me to implement it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend.

Whole process took a week in a half - due to a pending deadline on my part.

I had a phone interview and was then invited onsite at the end of the week. The onsite interview was composed of 3 interviews. They were typical questions of any other technical interview questions - although slightly more tree-heavy than other companies.

On Monday I was contacted asking to provide references. I thought I had it in the bag because of this but Tuesday evening I was rejected.

I know that they were strong and wouldn't cause my rejection. So I guess references are asked for before the onsite interviews are processed?

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so won't disclose the exact questions - but I'd practice up on tree traversals before interviewing   Answer Question