Facebook

Average Difficulty
339 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Question – What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Interview Details – Internal Referral -> Phone Interview -> Onsite Loop -> Offer
The process was quick, however I interviewed before the holidays and had to wait until afterwards to hear the results. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. HR always keeps you updated on the process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Had a competing offer from another giant so I was able to negotiate.

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview Details – One/two phone interviews and one onsite. Contacted by recruiter, setup the time for a phone screen. Fairly well managed setup. Interview called on time, and was very nice to work with.

Interview Question – Add two binary numbers (Input as a string)   View Answers (3)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter through linkedin. I had an initial call with the recruiter where I was asked about my interests and what I might be looking for. Recruiter explained me the entire process on how the interview goes. Usually they have an initial phone interview, where you have to write code through collabedit. After that in person interview.

Phone interview was all about data structures. First the interviewer asked me what interests me about facebook, what is one thing about facebook I like. After that interviewer asked me to print a binary tree in level order. I did that. And then I was asked to print the tree in level order but using DFS. Interviewer was nice, was giving a lot of hints whenever I was stuck. Overall, a good experience.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult for someone who would be clear on data structures I guess.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

Interviewed at Facebook

Interview Details – Sent my resumé, had a first round phone interview. 30 minutes, worked through one algorithm. Didn't hear back about another phone interview for 3 weeks, at which point I had already accepted another offer.

Interview Question – I was asked a relatively standard question about BSTs.   Answer Question

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

Interview Details – Introduced into the whole process via a referral, so I was able to move quickly to an onsite interview. This was easily the best interview experience I've had in a long time - recruiter was friendly and extremely responsive, and each of the interviews was engaged during the interview.

Everything moved very quickly once I indicated that I felt prepared to interview.

Interview Question – Nothing terribly surprising - be prepared to talk through CS fundamentals, large scale design, and code code code.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview Details – campus recruiting and campus interview. I submit my resume in career fair and get notification of interview on the next day. The interviewer first asked me some questions on my resume and then asked me a technical question

Interview Question – something related to my resume. like how this project works   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter was excellent and quickly scheduled the first interview, but the manager seemed too busy and unprepared for the interview. When asked about development processes, make sure you show how flexible you are. They aren't looking for candidates who follow a strict SDLC; they want someone who can deal with less structure.

Interview Question – Tell me about the N-1 problem with ORMs.   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – FB is very efficient in hiring. The HR first sent some regular questions for me to answer, including the time to start working and so on, and then arranged the phone interview directly. On the same day of my phone interview, she arranged for onsite interviews. I was impressed with how efficient they are.

Interview Question – The interview questions were not extremely difficult, but I can tell they want people who understand the most basic concepts really well and can code clean and bug-free at once or after a little bit hints. The design questions were challenging though. Be prepared for that.
The interview questions include two sum, reverse integer, edit distance, clone graph, etc.
  Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got contacted for a Embedded Software Engineer position. I am a low level developer. The interviewer was a research scientist. Our backgrounds were poles apart. He did not have a clue about the position I was interviewing for. At the end both were wondering why he was asked to conduct the interview.

Interview Question – Sink Zero in Binary Tree.   View Answer

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!