Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The time between indicating to the recruiter that I was interested to the date of the final set of onsite interviews was about 1 month.

I'm local to Facebook HQ, so for the initial screening interview I was given the option to do it over the phone or onsite (I chose the latter). The interviewer asked me about my recent work history, and asked me to solve a couple of coding problems.

I returned a couple of weeks later for 5 onsite interviews, which consisted of 2 coding, 2 design, and 1 fit interview. Most of the interviews were good experiences, except for one where I unfortunately got stuck on a problem and the interviewer just sat there watching me while I struggled.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Initial contact by hr. Phone screen for thirty minutes. They just go by syntax so unless you are a college graduate or prepare with focus it's not possible to break into. Even the offered solution even if it works may not be liked by the interviewer. It's a dicey game. Also it feels like they want you to join if you have any idea for them, not that they have a project in mind for you, so I doubt the job is sustainable.

Interview Questions
    • Find out if substring of given length exists in another string. Length and substring can vary.   Answer Question

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

It was a good experience . Awesome campus , very nice experience . Each interview was 45 minutes. Complete code in time is pressure. Practice in pen paper helps lot . Interviewers were nice , for coding need to cover edge case and test case.

Interview Questions
    • 4 rounds of interview . design , coding round .design a scalable architecture of a system.Need to cover different aspects of scalability . Coding round was difficult.   Answer Question

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Contacted by a recruiter, and first phone interview was after two weeks but I rescheduled. And the interview went really well. The interviewer was late for 10 mins, but he made it up at the end. And he was really helpful during the process.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

I had two technical interviews (they are not back-to-back, with about a two-week interval) plus one team matching interview on the phone. The whole process took 4~5 weeks. In both tech. interviews, there were two simple algorithm problems. My interviewer shared me a link on collabedit and I just coded there. All questions were quite basic and nothing surprising happened.

Interview Questions
    • Q1A: In a maze with empty spaces and walls, given a starting point and ending point, find a path (not necessarily shortest). (Just BFS, DFS...)
      Q1B: If the maze is stored on multiple nodes on a cluster, what do we have to do? (No coding, just give ideas)
      Q2: Given an array and a target number, tell whether there are three numbers in the array which add up to the target number. (Time complexity should be O(n^2))
      Q3: Topological sort.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I didn't end up getting an offer.

Due to NDA I cannot explicitly write down the questions, but look at the last 150 questions in Glassdoor and CareerCup and you'll do fine (I did fine in the coding rounds, get to that in a bit).

Usual advice: Do a lot of white-boarding for questions and be ready to talk extensively about your projects and architecture and design.

Screening Round:

I applied to Facebook by getting connected to a recruiter through a colleague and friend. The process started in Seattle and I opted for a in-person onsite interview for the screening round (they have this option for locals in Seattle/California).

The interview went well i.e. I figured out how to solve the question in optimal time and space complexity. I made some mistakes here and there while writing the solution down but the interviewer didn't seem to mind. Contrary to what I had heard, he wasn't too anal about syntax (also helped that I write in C# he wasn't very familiar with it)

Onsite Round:

I received an email from the recruiter that they wanted to move forward and call me onsite. I was like, cool!

I took around 2 weeks to prepare and also tried to do design questions. I felt a bit under prepared around design and tried to make up for it in the last few weeks by watching videos around cloud architecture (and open source stuff like Hadoop, Kafka and Storm).

Onsite was pretty straightforward. First round was a career fit/discussion and I did pretty well (I think). It was mainly some behavioral questions and a lot diagrams around the architecture in my current and previous projects.

Second round was the one that I messed up.
    The question was around designing an existing Facebook feature (as a hint, think about the various add-dons you see on FB and instagram like Chat, Search, latest friend related news or popular links). When you really dig into designing this feature, its quite complicated and requires a reasonable amount of knowledge around distributed data storage etc. etc.

You need to nail this round to get into Facebook (in my personal opinion). I'm guessing they will adjust their expectations based on your years of experience.

There was a lunch which was informal and two more coding rounds where they asked questions that were very similar to the ones I had practiced. I made some silly mistakes here and there but again (due to practice) came up with optimal time/space complexity answers.

Got my result exactly one week from the my onsite date. No offer. But learnt a lot.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

The first round is on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice. I was asked a lot of questions about binary search tree. It was about basic algorithm and data structure. The second round is on-site interview. It was a tour around their campus. It was a nice experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I had my friend referred me to the intern position. It took about 3 weeks to hear from a recruiter. The process was pretty easy. After only one phone interview I was invited to go onsite. The phone interview takes 45 minutes. First talked about one of my previous projects. Then two technical problems.

Interview Questions
    • The first one is, given a tree, each node contains a digit. Calculate the sum of all numbers formed by paths from root to leaf.

The second one is given a string, remove all 'b's and duplicate all 'a's.

View Answers (6)