Facebook

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by a recruiter, I came onsite for an initial screen.

I thought the interviewer was very nice, and the question was reasonable. However, the frustrating part for me was that for the given question, there were a few different ways to solve it.

From my perspective, it seemed that the approach I used to solve the question was not what the interviewer had in mind. I understand that you should listen to an interviewer when they interrupt you or give you hints, but to me it seemed like the "hints" were basically from the perspective of "you're not solving this the way I would solve it, even though both of our solutions are O(n)".

The result was that I was basically having to write out a problem on a white board and constantly have my train of thought interrupted. The interruptions were unnecessary, and I had to clarify to the interviewer that my intent would indeed work. Example interruption:

Interviewer: "That array index is giving you the same result as the other value"
    Me: "No, that's a different variable name"
    Interviewer: "Oh, oops. Continue"

Interviewer: "Wait, why are you replacing the for loop with a while loop?"
    Me: "Because I want to be able to manipulate the cursor directly"
    Interviewer: "Oh, ok. Continue"

In the above statement, it's clear that the usual method of solving the problem did not involve a while loop (but it could be done to solve the problem). After my solution, the interviewer explained the most straightforward solution to the problem which basically leveraged the constraints of the problem itself, and after seeing that then of course the problem was trivial to implement.

So to me, it seemed like the question was more of a riddle than a coding exercise, which I believe to be a bad interview question, and at my current company it's accepted as the WORST type of interview question.

It was rather embarrassing for me to be turned down, especially on just the initial screen, but another qualm I had was that screens are generally meant to filter out candidates that can't code at all, not candidates who are questionable in their skills (from my perspective my skills aren't questionable, but clearly I did not give my best performance in this screen).

To me it felt as though the interviewer in this case did not have much experience. While I was answering the questions that were given to me, I was having to explain a few quirks to the python language that the interviewer clearly did not know i.e. "Oh, I didn't know you could compare dictionaries like that". For that to be said, I can only infer that the ONLY thing this interviewer was looking for is if I answer the question that was given to me in the exact way they wanted it solved.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I had my friend referred me to the intern position. It took about 3 weeks to hear from a recruiter. The process was pretty easy. After only one phone interview I was invited to go onsite. The phone interview takes 45 minutes. First talked about one of my previous projects. Then two technical problems.

Interview Questions
    • The first one is, given a tree, each node contains a digit. Calculate the sum of all numbers formed by paths from root to leaf.

The second one is given a string, remove all 'b's and duplicate all 'a's.

View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Applied from a career fair. Got an email a month later. They invited me to a social event and an on campus interview. The social event was held in a hotel next to the campus. Students could talk to the interviews in a casual setting, which somehow helps the interview on the next day. The interview was held on campus. The interview lasted for an hour.

Software Engineer Interview

Overall interview process was fantastic! Loved it though I did not get the offer.

Sourcing Recruiter contacted me on Linkedin when I was not looking. After 6 month or so I contacted same recruiter. I got prompt response from this point till the end.

I went through 1st technical round of interview onsite as I was local to their HQ. They prefer onsite though one can choose phone interview. For me onsite worked out well.Nearly 1-hour interview with one person. Two programming questions one on link list and other on BST. For each involved finding the solution (easy to optimal) and then write code optimal solution. I did this pretty well as I had prepared for data structures and algos.

They immediately called me for full day onsite interview. Again I prepared lot on data structures, algorithms and related problem solving. And boom..that was my mistake. I forgot to focus on system side (locking, synchronization, deadlock) in detail. 5 interviewers, 45 min each. No on asked on data structures/algo. Two interviewers asked on locking related question, 1 design, 1 manager and last guy did combo of everything. Mostly I screwed up on locking related questions as I took many hint and long time... sigh..

Everyone was professional. Communication was prompt and fast!

Interview Questions
    • Design backend system to run app like facebook where query is to get two levels of friends of friend. Open ended question..   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook.

Very technical questions. Be sure to review your data structures, sorting algorithms, and syntax without a reference. They don't care much about syntax, but it might trip you up during whiteboarding. They were extremely friendly, put you up in a hotel and take good care of you during the interview. I think there were many opportunities to ask questions and learn more about the specific problems they're trying to solve.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string in place?   View Answer
    • Given an SMS text (array of digits) what are the possible words that could be created?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I applied through a referral, 1 Skype interview (2 were scheduled but I didn't make it past the first one). The interviewer briefly introduced himself and asked me a coding question straight away. I chose to use Java. No behavioral questions, just 1 coding question. Contrary to what most people have said, I got an interviewer who wasn't very friendly. He was there to do his job. Plain and simple.

Interview Questions
    • Before I get to the question I just want to say that the interviewer had a very thick accent (I'm an international candidate, BTW), and that made it really difficult for me to understand what he wanted me to do. This isn't me being bitter. I'm saying this so that I present a very honest opinion about my interview.
      That being said, the question wasn't something that can be found online or in most books, I was given 2 functions String recv() and String ReadLine() [ both these DO NOT take arguments]. recv() generates some string (Example:"123\n45\n6789"). ReadLine() should read the string being returned by recv() and print all characters until the first \n. After that it should read the recv() string again and print the next characters until the 2nd \n.
      Example: recv(): "123\n45\n6789"
                     ReadLine(): "123" //first call of ReadLine
                     ReadLine(): "45" // second call of ReadLine
      However, the next sequence now doesn't have a \n. So, once the end of the string is hit, the ReadLine() function must call recv() again, and append all characters until it reads a \n.

Continuing the above example: ReadLine():6789abcde //Third call of ReadLine
                                                        recv():"abc"// still no \n...so you must call recv() again
                                                        recv():"de\n"

The commented sections are my explanations (the interviewer didn't give any such things). I've explained the problem as clearly as I can. Unfortunately, the interviewer kept overwriting his examples, and (I have to emphasize this) his accent made it really hard to understand just what he wanted out of this program.

View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I had on campus interview. It was fairly straightforward (data structures and Algorithms ) question. But they give you 30 mins to solve the question and are looking for a really efficient solution. I recommend trying to crack down the most effective solution you can.

Interview Questions
    • find largest element in non transitive sequence of elements.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I'm talking about the on-site interview. The process began with a checkin and confirmation. Then there was a 40 minutes technical interview. It was not that hard but I didn't make it. After that, we enjoyed the lunch with the recruiter at the dining hall and it ends with an amazing tour in the FB campus.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the consecutive sequence of numbers whose sums equal to a target number.   View Answer