Facebook

Updated Jan 25, 2015

3.3

426 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

Overall interview process was fantastic! Loved it though I did not get the offer.

Sourcing Recruiter contacted me on Linkedin when I was not looking. After 6 month or so I contacted same recruiter. I got prompt response from this point till the end.

I went through 1st technical round of interview onsite as I was local to their HQ. They prefer onsite though one can choose phone interview. For me onsite worked out well.Nearly 1-hour interview with one person. Two programming questions one on link list and other on BST. For each involved finding the solution (easy to optimal) and then write code optimal solution. I did this pretty well as I had prepared for data structures and algos.

They immediately called me for full day onsite interview. Again I prepared lot on data structures, algorithms and related problem solving. And boom..that was my mistake. I forgot to focus on system side (locking, synchronization, deadlock) in detail. 5 interviewers, 45 min each. No on asked on data structures/algo. Two interviewers asked on locking related question, 1 design, 1 manager and last guy did combo of everything. Mostly I screwed up on locking related questions as I took many hint and long time... sigh..

Everyone was professional. Communication was prompt and fast!

Interview Questions
    • Design backend system to run app like facebook where query is to get two levels of friends of friend. Open ended question..   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Got contacted by a recruiter through Linkedin. Told him I'm not currently looking for a job, but since Facebook seems like a great opportunity, I'll interview. The interview had a rather easy question, but I had a problem quickly writing code on the whiteboard - something that I've hard ever done in my programming career. Nor do I have a lot of interview experience in the US. Which I did warn them about. Still got a reply later saying I failed because of "coding performance". Whatever that means. As if they are looking for professional interviewees rather that computer programmers. Whole process felt like a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Some trivial question on breadth-first graph traversal.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by a recruiter, I came onsite for an initial screen.

I thought the interviewer was very nice, and the question was reasonable. However, the frustrating part for me was that for the given question, there were a few different ways to solve it.

From my perspective, it seemed that the approach I used to solve the question was not what the interviewer had in mind. I understand that you should listen to an interviewer when they interrupt you or give you hints, but to me it seemed like the "hints" were basically from the perspective of "you're not solving this the way I would solve it, even though both of our solutions are O(n)".

The result was that I was basically having to write out a problem on a white board and constantly have my train of thought interrupted. The interruptions were unnecessary, and I had to clarify to the interviewer that my intent would indeed work. Example interruption:

Interviewer: "That array index is giving you the same result as the other value"
    Me: "No, that's a different variable name"
    Interviewer: "Oh, oops. Continue"

Interviewer: "Wait, why are you replacing the for loop with a while loop?"
    Me: "Because I want to be able to manipulate the cursor directly"
    Interviewer: "Oh, ok. Continue"

In the above statement, it's clear that the usual method of solving the problem did not involve a while loop (but it could be done to solve the problem). After my solution, the interviewer explained the most straightforward solution to the problem which basically leveraged the constraints of the problem itself, and after seeing that then of course the problem was trivial to implement.

So to me, it seemed like the question was more of a riddle than a coding exercise, which I believe to be a bad interview question, and at my current company it's accepted as the WORST type of interview question.

It was rather embarrassing for me to be turned down, especially on just the initial screen, but another qualm I had was that screens are generally meant to filter out candidates that can't code at all, not candidates who are questionable in their skills (from my perspective my skills aren't questionable, but clearly I did not give my best performance in this screen).

To me it felt as though the interviewer in this case did not have much experience. While I was answering the questions that were given to me, I was having to explain a few quirks to the python language that the interviewer clearly did not know i.e. "Oh, I didn't know you could compare dictionaries like that". For that to be said, I can only infer that the ONLY thing this interviewer was looking for is if I answer the question that was given to me in the exact way they wanted it solved.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Contacted a technical recruiter who helped set up a technical phone interview with an engineer. The phone interview last 45 minutes with a typical algorithm optimization problem. The engineer works with me to come up with a better version of my brute-force solution which was great and the whole process was very educational as well.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have enough time to research on the question but if you search around on this site and google, you should be able to cover most of the basic questions that were asked.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

They called me via Skype, we had a normal conversation about my interest and they asked me about my knowledge for the projects that Facebook are working on. Then they give me the oportunity to ask anything about Facebook.

Software Engineer Interview

HR was pretty fast to arrange phone screenings and on-site interviews. Pretty nice atmosphere in FB and people seemed to enjoy FB life. 4 sessions of interviews during on-site. Most about algorithm and system design

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Got back to hear within a day of onsite interview. They flew me to Menlo Park. The interviewer was late to the interview and was unprepared. He asked me a linked list question (reverse a linked list) and then he asked me to print out level order tree.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Reached out to by recruiter, had phone chat with her. She set up two technical phone screens, followed by 4 technical onsite interviews. Had a chance to talk to some really experienced engineers and everyone was really friendly during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions
      - Print all paths in a binary tree
      - Function to find the square root of a number
      - Pretty print JSON object
      - How would you design home feed?
      - Simple regex matcher

Answer Question