Facebook

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.3

388 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

The interview is quite intense, including several rounds of coding, design, and culture interviews. Some interviewers can be annoying. One person showed great disbelief when I mistook one of their great technologies by something else. Another guy was pounding me about why I wanted to be an engineer. And in one coding interview, the guy was looking at his phone while I was doing whiteboard coding. He apparently has less knowledge about the interview subject, but he did manage to find a small bug and failed me. I am glad that they did --- how can I work with such assholes? Compared to other places I went, Facebook has the highest concentration of mediocre quality, high ego engineers. An unpleasant place for engineers!

Interview Questions
    • Design questions probably, as they seem to want you to match some preset answer in their brain.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Interview

The first interview was at my University. It was your typical 45 minute face-to-face whiteboard coding style interview. During the first five minutes, my interviewer introduced himself and asked me questions about myself. Be prepared to talk about yourself and your resume. The next 35 minutes were spent entirely on 1 question. After arriving at a naive solution, I fined-tuned and optimized my code. The last 5 minutes were reserved for any questions I had.

I passed the first interview, and went on to the second interview. The flew me down to HQ. This interview went horribly. The question was more difficult than the first interview, and my interviewer's accent made him difficult to understand. After the interview, I toured Facebook's campus and had lunch, etc.

Interview Questions
    • First interview question: dutch flag problem. Given three color objects arranged randomly in an array, arrange them such that each object is together and their collective color groups are in the correct order.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook.

Implement an asked simple function in an empty paper. Each type of variables (ex. int, double) and using conditional / iterative statement had to be chosen carefully to avoid a single mistake.
    Then typical personal questions came after the code interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • 4 rounds onsite interviews. Not very difficult, need bug free. 45 mins each round, 5 mins break between them. People there are smart and nice. some resume questions, 1 to 2 coding problems each round   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview. ask one project, and why want to work in facebook. Then ask two coding question. The first one is implement strstr(), and follow up is how to speed it up. The second question is 3 sum, and the element can be duplicated. Follow up is how to speed it up.

Interview Questions
    • the interviewer ask me how to optimize the strstr() brute force method, and I said we can use KMP algorithm to do it, then he move on, and don't ask me to implement it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview, simply ask some question about resume and then ask coding question. They sent a link to you and use the link to coding. Just one question, the question is typed by them in the link.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree by vertical level order

2 4
      3 5

print :
      1 5
        View Answers (6)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend.

Whole process took a week in a half - due to a pending deadline on my part.

I had a phone interview and was then invited onsite at the end of the week. The onsite interview was composed of 3 interviews. They were typical questions of any other technical interview questions - although slightly more tree-heavy than other companies.

On Monday I was contacted asking to provide references. I thought I had it in the bag because of this but Tuesday evening I was rejected.

I know that they were strong and wouldn't cause my rejection. So I guess references are asked for before the onsite interviews are processed?

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so won't disclose the exact questions - but I'd practice up on tree traversals before interviewing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

1 Behavior/Past experience
    2 Ninja
    3 Lunch (not rated)
    4 Design
    5 Ninja

The behavior interview is about 1 hour, just talking about your past and current experience and projects you have done, plus a 15 mins coding test.

first Ninja is an opening question, essentially creating your own question based on a scenario and do some coding. My experience was really good so you have the flexibility to design questions you are familiar with.

Lunch was chat with a senior team lead, relax and get to know what you want to know.

Design was easy for me, since I have done a similar system at my current job.

the last ninja really sucked, the question is about a really unconventional event processing model using "pulling" instead of standard "push" model (like Storm), and the interviewer does not talk much and was not happy when I proposed the much simpler and intuitive push model. I failed on this one.

Interview Questions
    • The second ninja (coding) test was about event processing system using pulling model, which literally no one in the industry is using.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Gave my resume at my university's tech fair and heard back two months later to schedule an interview. My interviewer was honestly pitiful. He was disinterested and rarely spoke (several times I thought the call got cut off). He didn't seem to care about me at all, but simply if I could answer the technical question. When given the chance to ask him questions about his experience he gave short answers that gave me a poor impression of Facebook as an employer: goal oriented (as in, finish or die trying), regimented, and not user-centric. The technical question was difficult as well, and I got the impression that asking questions of him was discouraged. I was stopped early, but I think I got the answer later after the interview was over (though I will never be sure as the spec was not 100% clear).

Interview Questions
    • Given a mapping of the english alphabet to numbers (i.e. a = 1, b = 2, k = 11) and a string of numbers (i.e. "110124"), determine the number of representations that the string may have in letters.   View Answer