Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was ask to answer a few question about my resume and followed two coding questions. For each question, the interviewer asked the time and space complexity and how to improve them. At the end, he asked me whether if I had questions for him or the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree level order traversal
      2. Given a string and a pattern
      '.' Matches any single character.
      '*' Matches zero or more of the preceding element.),
      find the first substring matching this pattern.

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by school mate and got the phone interview. Failed in the first round interview. No questions on resume. Just two coding questions. First one is easy. I just said minHeap solution, then the recruiter directly said next. I was stuck at the second problem and that is the reason why I failed.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given 1 billion numbers, find 100 largest numbers
      2. Prefix notation +*123 = 5

3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Contacted by HR and setup a meeting, the HR is kind and the engineer is also kind, but I got nervous and blew it. Should have refresh my skills before going into an interview.

Interview Questions

• Given an array a contains all digits 0-9
      a = [1, 4, 2, 1] # which represents 1421
      Add one to the number and return the array
      return a = [1, 4, 2, 2] # which represents 1422

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen 45 min duration in total, the interviewer said a little bit about himself and went straight to a technical question. No background questions. The interview process went as expected, no surprises. The interviewer seemed to be a nice guy.

Interview Questions

• Given a sequence of numbers (34128) and an input map such as a dial pad on a phone (2->[a,b,c], 3->[d,e,f], 4->[g,h,i]) write an algorithm to return all possible words from the sequence.

E.g. Input: 232
      Output: [ada, adb, adc, aea, aeb, aec, afa, afb, afc, bda, bdb, bdc, bea, beb, bec, bfa, bfb, bfc, cda, cdb, cdc, cea, ceb, cec, cfa, cfb, cfc]

9 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Onsite interview process was fair. Difficulty level was average. First person to interview me had horrible communication skills. He couldn't explain coding problem clearly.

Remaining three people were very good in communication. After on-site interview, facebook requested for yet another coding phone interview.

Post onsite phone interview is what went wrong with me. This person had poor interview skills. He asked me an advanced algorithm question about graph/tree traversal (search for "same fringe problem concurrency" and you will know what I am talking about). I gave a natural solution which was not space efficient, but interviewer was looking for a specific solution he had in mind.

I lost the deal to this question. I would give thumbs up to recruiters handling interview process. I think they are one of the best in the industry.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First, there was a phone screen with the recruiter, a technical screen (either phone or on site, candidate's choice), and an on site.

The recruiter was very professional and helpful, describing the process and the engineering culture at Facebook. They were very flexible in scheduling both the phone screen and onsite.

The phone screen was a standard technical phone screen, with the difficulty dialed up slightly. The solutions allowed were constrained (typically, constant space). After I presented my solution, we discussed its complexity.

The on site was very similar. The interview was very CS heavy. The questions asked relied on the knowledge of the properties of many data structures, including ones that are less often used. I can't recall any technical trivia questions being asked; all the questions surrounded a problem with an implementation that had to be coded on the white board. Parallelism and threads were also covered. I gave my answers in Python, and except for one interviewer that asked for a solution using Java, all accommodated. There was one design and architecture review which as different and a lot of fun. I was asked to design a system for a current feature of Facebook. The interviewers were great to interact with.

I had a couple offers that were exploding, and they said they would be able to get a decision back quick. But there was an offsite, so the decision was delayed a few days. I withdrew when I accepted another offer. To put it in context, my other offers were exploding within 72 hours of the on site, so it was a tall order and it's to their credit that they tried.

I left very impressed. When I'm looking for a position in the future, I'll definitely check them out.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook in June 2015.

Interview

Contacted by HR via LinkedIn. Went through phone coding screening, will be going for onsite. The phone interviewer was nice, the question EAS not difficult and it took some t8me to complete. Onky one question was asked, and we had enough time left to discuss aspects of ongoing project that he is working.

Interview Questions

• My technical background.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of positive integers and a target integer, find if there is a consecutive subarray that sums to the target. E.g, given {5,6,4,12}, findsum(10)=true, findsum(11)=false.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

4 Rounds

Round 1: Talking with recruiter and see if your interest align with Facebook

Round 2: Phone Screen (45 Minutes) Algorithm and Data Structure

Round 3: Phone Screen (45 Minutes) Algorithm and Data Structure

Round 4: Onsite for entire day
    - 2 Coding
    - 1 Design
    - 1 Experience
    - 1 Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

• Just have your basic algorithm and data structure skills well versed   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

2 coding question , on 1st question they asked time and space complexity. second question divide number by a noter without using "/" and "%".
    The interviewer was good and provide hints when i am stuck . it was a good experience.the interview lasted for 50 minutes. i advise to practice lots of code on editor like coderpad.io / styli.com. This will help a lot in long run.

I am waiting for there response!!!

Interview Questions

• Q1> reverse a inked list and print the reversed list . Ex: 1->2->3 , result:3->2->1
      Q2> divider a number by another number and print result and remainder if any. you are not supposed to use "/" and "%" operation

3 Answers