Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by school mate and got the phone interview. Failed in the first round interview. No questions on resume. Just two coding questions. First one is easy. I just said minHeap solution, then the recruiter directly said next. I was stuck at the second problem and that is the reason why I failed.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given 1 billion numbers, find 100 largest numbers
      2. Prefix notation +*123 = 5

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

applied online. Contected by recruiter for initial screening in facebook office. When to local fb office, where I waited for few minutes after getting to reception. First, recruiter gave tour of center and talked about perks and then took me to conference room, where I met interviewer whole first discussed about my past projects and then jumped on coding question.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. I got an email from a recruiter with a questionnaire asking about my experience, why facebook, etc. Next step was a phone interview. The interviewer was very nice and helpful. The interview question was not difficult. I gave an optimal solution with some help, also finished coding in time. I don't know what they don't like about the interview, but probably I was not very fast coding and testing the code. I got an email after a few hours that they do not want to move forward.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was ask to answer a few question about my resume and followed two coding questions. For each question, the interviewer asked the time and space complexity and how to improve them. At the end, he asked me whether if I had questions for him or the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree level order traversal
      2. Given a string and a pattern
      '.' Matches any single character.
      '*' Matches zero or more of the preceding element.),
      find the first substring matching this pattern.

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Onsite tech screen followed by 4 1:1 rounds. Three of the technical rounds were on coding questions and one of them had a design problem. Most of the technical problems were easy but I didn't code well probably because I didn't take enough time to practice whiteboard coding. The design round had an interesting problem. I'll probably appear in this once more in a year. All interviewers were good and well-behaved. The process was smooth as well. The recruiter communicated my area of weakness (coding) and I concur with what they found.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

Interview

I had two technical interviews (they are not back-to-back, with about a two-week interval) plus one team matching interview on the phone. The whole process took 4~5 weeks. In both tech. interviews, there were two simple algorithm problems. My interviewer shared me a link on collabedit and I just coded there. All questions were quite basic and nothing surprising happened.

Interview Questions

• Q1A: In a maze with empty spaces and walls, given a starting point and ending point, find a path (not necessarily shortest). (Just BFS, DFS...)
      Q1B: If the maze is stored on multiple nodes on a cluster, what do we have to do? (No coding, just give ideas)
      Q2: Given an array and a target number, tell whether there are three numbers in the array which add up to the target number. (Time complexity should be O(n^2))
      Q3: Topological sort.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

My friend referred me, and then a recruiter contacted me after several days. A phone screen interview was scheduled two weeks later. About 1 week, the recruiter told me I didn't pass the interview.

Interview Questions

• write a algorithm to calculate the running time for a sequence of tasks.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook (West Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I went campus career fair and give the resume. I wait one month and got nothing. So I changed to ask for reference and got a interview after one week.

Interview Questions

• build a large number structure with add function   2 Answers