Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions. The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is a little more related to facebook's certain functionality

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was ask to answer a few question about my resume and followed two coding questions. For each question, the interviewer asked the time and space complexity and how to improve them. At the end, he asked me whether if I had questions for him or the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree level order traversal 2. Given a string and a pattern '.' Matches any single character. '*' Matches zero or more of the preceding element.), find the first substring matching this pattern.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone chat with her the next day. After a week, I went to to the in-house interview. I arrived 5 minutes before the scheduled time and I waited for 20 minutes in the reception area. My scheduled interviewer could not make it and they found a young engineer to interview me instead. He is friendly and has worked in the industry for only 2 years. The conversation started almost like I was the interviewer as he introduced himself and told me what he does at Facebook for about 5 minutes. He asked me what I do in my current project and proceeded with a coding question. I solved the question in Java, tested edge cases, modularized the solution and discussed other potential solutions I could think of. We had a nice conversation and the interviewer agreed the solution given was good. He ended the interview by giving me the opportunity to ask any questions. They did not proceed to the next stage with me and I was surprised. Obviously I missed something and I do not know what that is. I asked the recruiter for feedback via e-mail and did not hear back.

Interview Questions

• My current project and how I scale our applications. Given n nodes and an X node, find k nearest nodes to X.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me. The recruiting process is very pleasant and considerate. They even have an interview prep session that the author of cc150 gave presentation about how to ace the interview, which is very helpful. Passed the first onsite screen and moving to next step so below questions may not be applicable.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in July 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews and each takes 45 mins. I answered each smoothly and near perfectly. All bug-free code. But they still reject me without giving any reason or feedback.

Interview Questions

• Read number, e.g. 100 -> one hundred, 113 -> one hundred thirteen Stock Search in rotated sorted array Sort Color   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Referred by school mate and got the phone interview. Failed in the first round interview. No questions on resume. Just two coding questions. First one is easy. I just said minHeap solution, then the recruiter directly said next. I was stuck at the second problem and that is the reason why I failed.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given 1 billion numbers, find 100 largest numbers 2. Prefix notation +*123 = 5   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I've applied through an employee referral and got a ping from the recruiter in about a week. After the initial chat with the recruiter to chat about FB, my interests and logistics, I got scheduled for the initial 45-minute screening. I was given two options for the screen, either phone/codeshare or an onsite visit (likely an option available for local candidates only). I chose the in-person option, and got an invite for a round of full day (5 total) within few hours after the initial screen. Facebook recruiters send interview prep materials to the candidates on what to expect, what to brush up on, as well as some suggestions tailored to a particular candidate's weak-ish spots (in my case it was the speed of coding). I knew what to expect going in and felt well prepared on this front. Initial screen was algorithm + coding. Nothing overly challenging. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews (+ informal lunch) covering: 1) One "Jedi" interview with a hiring manager testing behavior / culture fit + warm-up coding. Prepare to talk about past experience, career goals, as well as several "tell me about the time when..." questions. 2) One "Pirate" interview: System design portion of the interview. There are great resources on Quora on suggestions on how to prepare and what to pay attention too. 3) Three "Ninja" interviews focusing on algorithm + coding. I actually have seen all of the questions I got asked at Facebook before, but that did not help me as ultimately the reason for rejection was cited as not being able to come up with optimal solutions and code fast enough. Got an phone call from the recruiter in about a week+few days after the interview telling me the unfortunate news. I think I had to wait few extra days because of the July holidays and typically the process is faster. Culture: I did find some of the junior Facebook engineers conducting my interview a bit arrogant and cocky, but nothing too alarming. All in all, I had a positive interview experience. I wish the interview loop was better tailored towards someone more senior, e.g. less emphasis on coding, more on design. Current interview process makes it seem they hire code monkeys.

Interview Questions

• I can't discuss specifics due to NDA, but interview questions were neither overly difficult nor tricky. Check careercup and brush up on algorithms (string processing, binary trees, graphs, etc.). Practice coding fast (which potentially means forgetting good software engineering practices such as class design, refactoring as it will only slow you down). Establish rapport with your interviewer, remember to ask clarifying questions, talk through your thinking process and solutions and you'll do well. Hopefully better than me:) Best of luck!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen 45 min duration in total, the interviewer said a little bit about himself and went straight to a technical question. No background questions. The interview process went as expected, no surprises. The interviewer seemed to be a nice guy.

Interview Questions

• Given a sequence of numbers (34128) and an input map such as a dial pad on a phone (2->[a,b,c], 3->[d,e,f], 4->[g,h,i]) write an algorithm to return all possible words from the sequence. E.g. Input: 232 Output: [ada, adb, adc, aea, aeb, aec, afa, afb, afc, bda, bdb, bdc, bea, beb, bec, bfa, bfb, bfc, cda, cdb, cdc, cea, ceb, cec, cfa, cfb, cfc]   9 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Onsite interview process was fair. Difficulty level was average. First person to interview me had horrible communication skills. He couldn't explain coding problem clearly. Remaining three people were very good in communication. After on-site interview, facebook requested for yet another coding phone interview. Post onsite phone interview is what went wrong with me. This person had poor interview skills. He asked me an advanced algorithm question about graph/tree traversal (search for "same fringe problem concurrency" and you will know what I am talking about). I gave a natural solution which was not space efficient, but interviewer was looking for a specific solution he had in mind. I lost the deal to this question. I would give thumbs up to recruiters handling interview process. I think they are one of the best in the industry.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook in June 2015.

Interview

Contacted by HR via LinkedIn. Went through phone coding screening, will be going for onsite. The phone interviewer was nice, the question EAS not difficult and it took some t8me to complete. Onky one question was asked, and we had enough time left to discuss aspects of ongoing project that he is working.

Interview Questions

• My technical background.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of positive integers and a target integer, find if there is a consecutive subarray that sums to the target. E.g, given {5,6,4,12}, findsum(10)=true, findsum(11)=false.   4 Answers