Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

341 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2008.

I applied online through the Facebook website and heard back from HR within 2 weeks. After speaking with the recruiter, we setup a phone interview with one of the engineers. The phone interview was about 20 minutes long and consisted of 2 questions which were algorithmic in nature, one of which was reversing a linked list. I heard back from them about a week later and we setup a time for an on-site interview. I was alotted $1000USD for travel expenses to travel from Toronto, ON to Palo Alto, CA. The on-site interview lasted 4 hours and was split up into 1 hour interviews with a different engineer. The questions were mostly abstract, and language independent. Content of the questions varied from riddles to database design. My impression of the first three engineers was good, they seemed like nice guys, and knowledgeable. The last interviewer came off as pretentious, I felt as though he wanted me to fail -- just my opinion!

Overall, the office culture seemed relaxed and the problems they are solving there are interesting ones. I'd recommend interviewing with them if only for the chance to visit Palo Alto!

Interview Questions
  • You have two lightbulbs and a 100-storey building. You want to find the floor at which the bulbs will break when dropped. Find the floor using the least number of drops.   View Answers (24)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Everyone was edgy when I started seeing people at Facebook, including the receptionists. Granted, job interviews tend to be critical, and we are the people who seemed to be begging for the highly-lucrative job positions.

Then I saw this lady, who gave no self-introduction, no facial interaction, had only super-sharp look or pretended to be, who led me through these cold stairs, picked up a drink, and up to this tiny room, then started asking me questions.

God bless her, turned out she was a software engineer, and may be the domain expert in my field.

OK, so let's move on to programming, by which time I became edgy, too, knowing this lady sitting right behind me, feeling her freezing eyes examining up and down my neck, maybe my hair, too (I am a man). Did she notice my white hair as well?

Anyway, the interview was quick (less than an hour), and I was let go. I knew there won't be any followup. Even if it does, am I willing to experience it again?

What a fast way to ruin a day-off.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Facebook.

one technical interview on the phone

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in June 2012.

I got contacted by an HR. After some email traffic, I got a skype call with HR to discuss the interview process.
    I solved a puzzle at interviewstreet and they set up an appointment with the engineer at California.

Technical Phone interview lasted 30 mins. Interviewer was friendly but he immediately asked for live coding (in 6-7 mins). And because of he is Indian, it was very difficult to understand him as a not native English speaker.
    He asked for a technical question, wanted to optimize code, and then told me the interview is over.

Interview Questions
    • You have a file consists of billions of records.
      It cannot fit into memory, so you need to reverse every word in that file and save to another file.
        View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in October 2011.

Hr contacted me and gave a timed skill test, through interviewstreet. I didn't like to code in that website nor coding a timed test. basically they don't know how long its going to take and they give very less time.They don't tell that u can pause or come again etc.. in my opinion FB is over hyped good place to work move on to other good companies ;)

Interview Questions
    • given a list of words with a same size and a big string that contains one of the permutation of all the words combined(say p), find the startindex of the string p in the big string   View Answers (6)

Software Engineering Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in July 2010.

The HR made a background check in the first phone interview, and asked me to do the puzzle. After submitting the puzzle, here comes a phone interview with technical questions. And the most difficult on site interview.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2010.

I applied on facebook/careers and was contact by their HR for a screening test which consists of some behavioral questions and a few simple questions about c/c++ & Algo, such as what's a virtual destructor. And then they scheduled me for a tech phone interview during which I was asked to do two programming questions on Collabedit.com.

Interview Questions
    • Implement stack using a queue   View Answers (3)
    • Print out all combinations of k numbers out of 1...N
      e.g. when k = 2, n = 4
      Print out 12, 13, 14, 23, 24, 34
        View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2009.

Multiple interviews. Very heavy CS/discrete math based questions. They are definitely hiring only the smartest people! Also, long waits between interviews. Other than that, they were very professional and employees were open in sharing their experience while working at Facebook (lots of energy and enthusiasm in general, mostly because its a lot of young/college kids)

Interview Questions
    • Given two events, each with a start and end time, implement a boolean check to see if they overlap.   View Answers (4)
    • Reverse a string in-place using C.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Telephone chat with recruiter followed by an onsite interview. Onsite interview had five 45 minute interview sessions, and all of them were very technical (writing code on the whiteboard or talking about system design).

Interview Questions
    • Questions about data structures, graphs, and tree traversal.   Answer Question
    The offer was very good so little negotiating was necessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in July 2011.

Phone screen, Excel test, phone interview, skype interviews, 30 page assignment, flew out for on-site interviews, more phone interviews, flew out again for on-site interviews.

They put me through the ringer before they hired me. But the questions were relevant and the people I met were great. This was back in their Palo Alto offices though.

Interview Questions
    • Pre-IPO, they asked me to write a paper on the valuation of Facebook. They also asked me what I thought the greatest technological advancement was in the past 20 years.   Answer Question
    They sold me on the equity. I didn't negotiate.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!