Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

340 interviews

3.3

340 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hyderābād (India)
Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

The interview was very tough ! I was asked so many questions of which most of them were tough and I couldn't answer any of them ! because I didn't have such skills.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer
    I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

Internal Referral -> Phone Interview -> Onsite Loop -> Offer
    The process was quick, however I interviewed before the holidays and had to wait until afterwards to hear the results. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. HR always keeps you updated on the process.

Interview Questions
    Had a competing offer from another giant so I was able to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by an existing employee. After an initial email by a recruiter, I didn't hear back for two weeks. I dropped a chaser and the managed to get the interview process started. I did a total of two phone screens with them. The first one went quite well and I heard back from the recruiter within a day. However I didn't manage to get past the second phone screen.

Each phone screen is pretty much standard, the interviewer calls you on your mobile or Skype, and provide you with a collabedit or codeshare page to type out code in real-time.

The recruitment process is slick and systematic generally.

Interview Questions
    • Retrieve words from a dictionary that are made up of a subsequence of characters in an input string.
      i.e. given an input "ABAT", matching words may include "BAT", "TAB", non-matching words may be "BART" or "BAR".
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

One/two phone interviews and one onsite. Contacted by recruiter, setup the time for a phone screen. Fairly well managed setup. Interview called on time, and was very nice to work with.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend and after some back-and-forth they set up a phone screen via Skype and collabedit.com. The feedback was very quick after the initial phone screening.

Interview Questions
    • What is a memory-efficient way to store a vector of integers? Follow-up question: using your proposed data structure, find an algorithm with constant memory usage to calculate the dot product of two vectors.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

I was contacted by the recruiter through linkedin. I had an initial call with the recruiter where I was asked about my interests and what I might be looking for. Recruiter explained me the entire process on how the interview goes. Usually they have an initial phone interview, where you have to write code through collabedit. After that in person interview.

Phone interview was all about data structures. First the interviewer asked me what interests me about facebook, what is one thing about facebook I like. After that interviewer asked me to print a binary tree in level order. I did that. And then I was asked to print the tree in level order but using DFS. Interviewer was nice, was giving a lot of hints whenever I was stuck. Overall, a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult for someone who would be clear on data structures I guess.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process went very smoothly. The experience with the recruiter was fantastic and the recruiter was always excited to talk about the company and kept me informed of what was happening throughout the entire process.

I did an initial screening interview and then a full day of on-site interviews. The on-site interviews consisted of two coding exercises (one on a whiteboard and one on a laptop), one on architecture, and one more that I don't remember.

Interview Questions
    • A dynamic programming question about differences in words.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Sent my resumé, had a first round phone interview. 30 minutes, worked through one algorithm. Didn't hear back about another phone interview for 3 weeks, at which point I had already accepted another offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a relatively standard question about BSTs.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

one hackerrank, three technical interview.
    the hackerrank question is fairly straightforward but easiest to do in higher level language.
    technical interviews were okay, but not hint-ful or anything. made a stupid mistake in the last one and it cost me a lot :(

Interview Questions

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!