Facebook

Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.3

405 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I have two phone coding interview over Skype. Than they invite me to offline interview: four interviews one after another in a single day. Questions was pretty hard to answer, because you should hold in your mind two major things: think very fast and to be very accurate in what you are writing in the code. That was hard for me, but I'm very happy to have such experience. Facebook was seemed to me like superior place in case if you want to spend you whole life to coding and if really like it.

Interview Questions
  • You given an array of scores that team can score in one game and the final team score. Write the code that returns a list of all possible intermediate scores.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Contacted Facebook University recruiter with my CV and sent in a form specifying where I wanted to work/ what I wanted to do at Facebook. I was scheduled an interview for late in the evening due to the time difference with California. Initially asked a number of questions on my CV and the projects I had worked on. Then moved onto technical coding question using online coding tool. This was a hard recursive question which I was unable to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to write a function that would return all the possible words generated when using a phone numpad to type.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

I applied through a conferene, then i received an email from facebook, we schedule an interview depending on my availability, the interview was on the phone and call that lasted around 45 minutes

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

One online coding round, followed by two interviews. They asked basic questions, mostly from leetcode. The interviewers seemed interested and HR was responsive. I did all the questions, still did not receive an offer. No idea why. They do not give feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Convert a binary tree to a doubly circular linked list.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook.

Process:
    This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview.

Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch.

All interviews were 45-mins length.

Interviews themselves:
    On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum.

On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common.

I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc.

Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident.

Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After a general chat with recruiter (current role, relocation, tech skills) we went ahead with the phone screen.

I was asked 2 coding questions, which I coded, but I needed some hints in the second one.

A few days later I got the email that the team would not like to move forward. And I can setup a call for review the feedback, which I didn't. I knew I wasn't super fast on coding, and problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult.

Reverse String
      Pair words that are Anagrams of each other.

View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I got the opportunity through internal referral.

I passed an technical phone screening and was invited to an on-site. I had 5 interviews in total. Two coding, two system design, one with manager (on PhD research + a quick coding exercise).

The technical questions were not too difficult, but I was unprepared for the system design problems. One of the interviewers kept walking around in the room and was really distracting and annoying. I couldn't focus on solving the problem and didn't do well in that session.

The interviewing schedule was not the best. I was scheduled to have lunch at 2pm PST, but considering I'm from a couple time zones east of PST, I was already way too hungry to have lunch at that time. Perhaps a low blood sugar level also contributed to my impaired thinking abilities.

Interview Questions
    • Signed NDA. Distributed system design problems were out of my expectation as I do not claim any experience in that area nor was I interviewing with any positions related to that area.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

the hiring process was extremely efficient. they move as fast as you need.
    i got responses from the recruiter in minutes and two hours after the interview i got the results.
    the office looks nice and the people there also.
    it looked too young to my taste. didn't see there anyone older (over 45) with experience but this was only a quick look.
    i got a problem that i can solve in 20 min with my laptop, but wen you need to code it on a whiteboard it's a different skill i don't have.
    even though your concept is right - they look for potential bugs on your code so make sure you write carefully (i don't).

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I went through the first two Skype interviews. In each interview I was asked to introduce myself, then the interviewer gave me two problems to solve. The first one was easy. The second one was a little bit harder. Each interview lasted around 50 minutes.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through campus. It took 2 weeks. First there's a on-campus interview for 45 mins. After that, I was noticed to take the on-site interview. For on-site, there're 3 rounds, 2 of them are all coding, the other is behavior questions plus 1 15-mins coding.

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the questions are not difficulty but it's also not easy to do them correctly if you see them first time.   Answer Question