Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.3

358 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Recruiter contacted on LinkedIn. Set up phone screen for a few days later, which consisted of basic behavioral questions and some technical questions (basically questions passed to the recruiters by engineering to weed out super weak candidates). Then a technical phone screen with an engineer. First a basic coding question. Second question was a weird one. It was basically a language specific question related to how to modify the default behavior of a certain class. I spent the rest and a long portion of the interview trying to understand what exactly needed to be done and couldn't come up with a solution at all. Then I asked the interviewer how what he was asking could be achieved and he told me about a similar class that would provide that capability. Since I had no idea about that class (and there's really no reason for anyone to know it off top of their heads), I wasted a lot of time trying to solve something that I could have never solved. This was akin to a trick question and obviously very flawed to ask to a software engineer to assess any analytical skills whatsoever. Then chit chatted with the engineer about Facebook but it was obvious that neither side wanted to engage in anymore conversation. Got a rejection email from the recruiter I believe a couple days later.

Interview Questions
  • A seemingly analytical coding question which couldn't be solved at all if you didn't know a certain class.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I applied through an employee referral. I soon got a 45 minute on-campus interview with an engineer. We jumped right in to technical questions. I was asked one whiteboard coding question (with some follow up questions on ways to break the algorithm, runtime, edge cases), and another easy whiteboard coding question (the fact that it was easier was not a good sign).

Interview Questions
    • The question I got was not a difficult question, but whiteboarding the code was where I messed up. It was: how do you find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I apply on Software engineering position. HR contacted me, and told that he thinks I'm not good for this position. I received email with some questions about my experience and what I want to do in Facebook.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Met the recruiter at a career fair, dropped off my resume, and was contacted for an on campus tech interview. Interviewed with a Russian guy with a really heavy accent and I could NOT understand much of what he was saying. He also got impatient with me and basically wrote the answer on the board after 1-2 minutes of watching me struggle. Not a very helpful or nurturing interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • you have a longggg list of words, return a list of distinct words along with the count of how many occurred using only 16gb of memory   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

I got email from the recruiter shortly after my friend in Facebook referred me. The recruiter asked me a few basic questions in the phone and arranged a phone interview. The phone interview took about 1 hour and the interviewer asked two questions. Shortly after that they told me to have an on-site interview in their campus. The on-site interview is 1-on-1 and the interviewer asked me two questions that is of average difficulty. But it is very important to communicate your solution clearly to the interviewer. Then within one week, I got the internship offer from Facebook.

Interview Questions
    • K nearest points to the origin on a 2D plane; one-pass reverse linked list with constant space.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

A 45 minutes phone interview as expected. They asked several questions about the background. Talk something about yourself, your project, your interests. And then moved forward to the code interview on Collabedit. The question is the simple 3 sum and pow(). At the end, they asked whether you have some questions about facebook.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Referred by a friend.The recruiter responds quickly. First the recruiter needs to know more about me and introduces the job. Then planned a phone screen for me. One coding question. Two days later I was informed I am invited for a full loop. The onsite includes four rounds. Two Coding, one system design and one Jedi. Great experience

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in August 2014.

Was contacted by a university recruiter after submitting my resume 9 months prior. I was given a two week period to prepare and complete a on the phone interview with an engineer at Facebook. Was asked limited personal information, and then prompted with a technical problem on an online collaborative document drafting site.

Interview Questions
    • Techical Question: Check to see if one array is a subset of another.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

One of my friends refers me. Then, I appeared one screening interviews.
    Interviews with algorithm, data structure.
    No behaviour question.
    No additional question, just coding.
    After coding, will ask you how to improve the performance, or do you have another way to implement it.

Software Engineering Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after the Facebook NY Hackathon. She set up one technical phone interview, if I passed there would be another technical phone interview. After those two they would make a hiring decision.

Interview Questions
    • Write running code to print out the level order traversal of a binary tree   View Answers (3)