Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

Pretty superficial compared to the in-depth interviews I've had for many other employees in Silicon Valley and otherwise in high tech. I was astonished that they seemed nonplussed at the prospect of somebody weaving back and forth between (very senior) individual contributor and (technical) manager -- that cluelessness is something I expect from big old ossified companies, but this "weaving" pattern is perfectly normal and expected in young dynamic up-and-coming hi-tech outfits (hey, I've been doing this for decades;-).

Interview Questions

• How can you possibly do technical management if you're a very strong senior engineer?   1 Answer

Just too clueless an outfit (so I declined continuing the interview process, before it came to an offer/no offer decision).

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2008.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and I preformed a brief initial interview and then setup a follow-up interview with manager of engineering who gave an online interactive interview. The interview consisted of typing into a web-browser sudo-code solutions to various engineering questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between a LEFT and RIGHT SQL JOIN   Answer Question
    • In sudo-code write a program that takes an integer called N and prints out the Fibonacci sequence to the Nth digit.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

I applied online through the Facebook website and heard back from HR within 2 weeks. After speaking with the recruiter, we setup a phone interview with one of the engineers. The phone interview was about 20 minutes long and consisted of 2 questions which were algorithmic in nature, one of which was reversing a linked list. I heard back from them about a week later and we setup a time for an on-site interview. I was alotted $1000USD for travel expenses to travel from Toronto, ON to Palo Alto, CA. The on-site interview lasted 4 hours and was split up into 1 hour interviews with a different engineer. The questions were mostly abstract, and language independent. Content of the questions varied from riddles to database design. My impression of the first three engineers was good, they seemed like nice guys, and knowledgeable. The last interviewer came off as pretentious, I felt as though he wanted me to fail -- just my opinion!

Overall, the office culture seemed relaxed and the problems they are solving there are interesting ones. I'd recommend interviewing with them if only for the chance to visit Palo Alto!

Interview Questions

• You have two lightbulbs and a 100-storey building. You want to find the floor at which the bulbs will break when dropped. Find the floor using the least number of drops.   26 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in March 2009.

Interview

they asked a few questions straight from the textbooks and asked me to implement some algorithms in
    trees. Once you finished, they wanted to know if you can improve the implementation by optimizing the complexity and memory usage. It looks like the interviewer is fresh out of the school and does not have much industry experience.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

The interview consisted of two parts.

The first part was a basic screening my the HR person through a set of e-mail questions regarding preferences of work, technology experience, etc. The second part consisted of a phone conversation with one of the the Facebook engineers where he asked questions regarding current employment responsibilities, why the interest in Facebook, etc. He then proceeded to ask a simple technical question which you had to provide a solution for on the spot through a web application from which he could see you typing (a bit nerve wrecking).

Interview Questions

• Given a list of strings, for each string, find if it has an anagram in the list.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2009.

Interview

I did two phone interviews and then was flew in for an onsite.

Interview Questions

• Given a large string (haystack), find a substring (needle) on it.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in March 2009.

Interview

A fairly young lady with limited skills asked basic questions about my background and what I hoped to gain from working for Facebook. She then asked what language I programmed best and resumed to ask about 10 trivial questions about the language. (ex. What is the difference between Java's Array and Vector classes). She seemed to have trouble even reading the questions so it was clearly someone who did not know the answers either. I was directed to attempt one of their online challenges and respond to her when completed.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

facebook is an unprofessional company to interview with. The first phone interviewer only wanted some insider information regarding my company (which I didn't give to him). The second interviewer could not get the interviewing tool working! He wasted 1/2 hour of my time before calling and telling me he would like to reschedule. So I patiently rescheduled with HR for the next day. The 2nd interviewer now calls 20 minutes late. Is fairly rude and capricious. Says that he is in a hurry. Did not explain his problem correctly. When I explained my solution, quickly tacked on some additional requirements and then said my solution did not work. The interview only lasted about 15 minutes. Said that he worked on consistency problems at facebook. Everybody knows how horrible the facebook newsfeed consistency is. Total time wasted with these people = 4hours (over two weeks, not including recruiter time). Compensation offered for my time; none. Conclusion: run as fast as you can from this company.

Interview Questions

• How do you find sequences of consequtive integers in a list that add to a particular number.   7 Answers
    • Given a score S, and individual points p1,p2,...,pn. give all combinations of p that add up to s.   1 Answer
    • Reverse a linked list.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me . I had just put up my resume on the website, didn't solve any kind of programming puzzle. In the first phone interview, I was asked to write a program that - given an array, would print the largest subarray that had elements in increasing order.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, print the largest subarray that has elements in an increasing order   7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Did a phone screen on Friday to discuss with Facebook was working on and what I wanted to work on. This moved to Onsite technical interview on following Tuesday, they moved quickly because of another pending offer with another company. Did well, Then moved to meet with more members of the team on Thursday, moved to offer on Friday and then accepted within 1 day.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to work on?   1 Answer