Facebook

Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.3

430 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

HR was pretty fast to arrange phone screenings and on-site interviews. Pretty nice atmosphere in FB and people seemed to enjoy FB life. 4 sessions of interviews during on-site. Most about algorithm and system design

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Got back to hear within a day of onsite interview. They flew me to Menlo Park. The interviewer was late to the interview and was unprepared. He asked me a linked list question (reverse a linked list) and then he asked me to print out level order tree.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Reached out to by recruiter, had phone chat with her. She set up two technical phone screens, followed by 4 technical onsite interviews. Had a chance to talk to some really experienced engineers and everyone was really friendly during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions
      - Print all paths in a binary tree
      - Function to find the square root of a number
      - Pretty print JSON object
      - How would you design home feed?
      - Simple regex matcher

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Facebook.

Applied through an employee referral.

Failed on a phone screening. The interviewer spoke extremely fast. In addition, there was a strong reverberation (looks like she spoke in a big room) on a line. As a result, I mostly guessed her questions. Even when I asked to repeat a question a few times she didn't change anything in her speech. I've had phone interviews before and they were good enough. But this one was a hell.

Besides a few usual questions about previous experience and a reason for changing a job, there were only 2 technical questions, both about complexity of algorithms (O-notations), i.e. quite useless, in other words. I think I answered them correctly (Anyway it makes no sense to remember them).

It took about 20 minutes. Overall, it was terrible experience. The worst thing, I failed it not due to lack of some technical skills but just because of communication issues. I have a lot of Java experience (they had open positions for that) and some other modern tools and technologies, as well as I'm opened for learning new technologies. But, unfortunately, I haven't had any chance to demonstrate it on any technical phone interviews.
    Never again.

Interview Questions
    • Had no chance for such question. Only useless questions about complexity of algorithms (every developer understands when data structure A is faster than B for insert / or delete / or search).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Firstly, I applied for FB position online and then an HR contacted me to appoint a time to chat.
    The chat with HR including:
    1. What the basic interview process.
    2. What the basic hiring process if get offer
    3. Free chat to understand my background

Then one day later I received mail to determine a skype screen date.
    The interview through skype
    1. firstly self introduction and ice breaker.
    2. 2 coding execises
    The execises is similar with that in leetcode that of easy/medium level

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty is to be calm down and devote yourself to think about the questions. Don't try to recall some problems that you've resolved, it may waste your time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Facebook recruiter got in touch with me. Had a phone conversation with her. She setup a phone screen within a week. Used Collabedit for coding. Two questions. Got a reply back within a week. Setup on site for the next week. 1 behavioral, lunch, 2 coding, 1 system design. The questions I got were weren't super difficult except for the system design question (how will you design the social graph with class, interfaces, etc). Other questions were, implement Pow, convert from decimal to roman and vice versa, binary tree serialization and deserialization, implement concurrent read/write buffer. For the system design question, the interviewer was very helpful and provided hints when I got stuck.

Interview Questions
    I didn't have a competing offer but they made a better offer when I said that I will not accept their offer. I have 5 years of industry experience and already work fulltime at a big company.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter. The entire process was efficient and quick. After the initial phone call with the recruiter, I received an email with details about interview process and how to prepare for technical interview in general, which I think it was pretty nice. I was scheduled for the phone interview one week after. The phone interview includes behavior questions and online coding and it took about 45 minutes. It started with typical introduction and then I was asked to talk about one of the works/projects listed on my resume and why I would pick to talk about that particular one. The interviewer didn't seem to impress about the project I picked to talk about. There were a couple of behavior questions (i.e. conflict resolution etc). Then the longest part of the phone interview was a coding question. You can pick any language you'd like, which is a plus. The coding question was not difficult, but clearly not an easy one, requires some thoughts. Be prepared to provide test cases. I had it working but not covering many edge cases. At the end, you can ask the interviewer any question, which I did. It sounded like the interviewer didn't seem to be excited about the current work, but kind enough to give me details about the challenging parts and current interesting problems the interviewer has been working on. I heard back the interview result from the recruiter exactly one week after.

Interview Questions
    • String manipulation: Giving a string input, containing comments, implement a method to output the given string excluding the comments.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Applied through referral. 45 minutes telephone interview. The interviewer was very nice. She guided me through the interview process and gave me 5 minutes to ask any questions. Two coding questions which are easy. One question is about Trie and the other is about binary search.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I applied online and heard back the next day. They gave me study material and resources to prepare for a phone interview.

The phone interview is tough. The level of difficulty is not bad but the pressure of being on the phone and having to code in a short period of time may cloud your mind.

Interview Questions
    • I received two questions. The first was print out all possible strings that a phone number can produce. For instance: 2 -> A,B,C and 3 -> D,E,F. So if the input is 23, then the output should be "AD, AE, AF, BD, etc.."
      The second question was if you had multiple points (x,y), find the n closest points to the origin (0,0).

View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Pretty bad. The recruiter was unusually daft: sent me a form to fill out, then asked me the same questions (all of them) on the phone; asked what I was interested in working on, then sent me into the the pipeline I explicitly said I didn't want.

The young man who interviewed me didn't listen very well and had a very narrow view of what makes a good engineer: namely, a good engineer was someone a lot like him.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't at all difficult, if you're good at coding in interviews. ("Determine whether a string has unbalanced parentheses.")   Answer Question