Facebook

Updated Dec 13, 2014

3.3

401 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

one technical interview on the phone

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in July 2011.

Phone screen, Excel test, phone interview, skype interviews, 30 page assignment, flew out for on-site interviews, more phone interviews, flew out again for on-site interviews.

They put me through the ringer before they hired me. But the questions were relevant and the people I met were great. This was back in their Palo Alto offices though.

Interview Questions
    • Pre-IPO, they asked me to write a paper on the valuation of Facebook. They also asked me what I thought the greatest technological advancement was in the past 20 years.   Answer Question
    They sold me on the equity. I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Telephone chat with recruiter followed by an onsite interview. Onsite interview had five 45 minute interview sessions, and all of them were very technical (writing code on the whiteboard or talking about system design).

Interview Questions
    • Questions about data structures, graphs, and tree traversal.   Answer Question
    The offer was very good so little negotiating was necessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in November 2013.

Everyone was edgy when I started seeing people at Facebook, including the receptionists. Granted, job interviews tend to be critical, and we are the people who seemed to be begging for the highly-lucrative job positions.

Then I saw this lady, who gave no self-introduction, no facial interaction, had only super-sharp look or pretended to be, who led me through these cold stairs, picked up a drink, and up to this tiny room, then started asking me questions.

God bless her, turned out she was a software engineer, and may be the domain expert in my field.

OK, so let's move on to programming, by which time I became edgy, too, knowing this lady sitting right behind me, feeling her freezing eyes examining up and down my neck, maybe my hair, too (I am a man). Did she notice my white hair as well?

Anyway, the interview was quick (less than an hour), and I was let go. I knew there won't be any followup. Even if it does, am I willing to experience it again?

What a fast way to ruin a day-off.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Started with a friendly talk with the recruiter, had 1 phone screen and then 4 on-site interviews. Everyone I talked to (including the recruiter!) was very Smart, friendly and engaging. I definitely felt a commitment to their role - even as interviewers!

There was nothing unexpected on the interviews, so don't be afraid about the horror stories out there. If you're good you should do OK.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Keep Reading, studying, solving problems, and coding on your daily job and you should be able to get it.   Answer Question
    There was not much room for negotiation. The offer was a lot higher than my current salary+equity at a top-notch software company.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Whole process took about a month but that's because I request about 1 week of prep time for each stage of my interview. I had 3 on-site interviews in total - my screening was on-site because I live very close to HQ. I also did a 3rd round interview because my feedback for 2nd round was somewhat mixed. Overall, very pleased with the whole interview experience. The internal recruiter was very friendly and helpful in helping me prep, and also very communicative of each step and process that they're going through. Was never kept in the dark. Almost every interviewer was super friendly and knowledgeable. I had mix feelings before the interview but after the whole process, I was convinced that Facebook is a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • No question stood out as most difficult or unexpected. Just know your algorithms and data structures, as well as your specific domain knowledge.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Received message via LinkedIn for an interview, shortly after replying a quick phone call was set up to determine what my interests were and how it aligns with the work available at Facebook. After that, a phone interview is done to screen candidates, the phone interview involves actual coding done using a shared online notepad. Then an in person interview is done which consists of 4 interviews (algorithms - system design - class design/algorithms - behavioral). There is also a break where you can ask an engineer any questions regarding the company. Results come back in a week after the in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • signed NDA so cannot discuss. But do prepare for sorting, pattern matching algorithms, design problems such as how to go about implementing certain features in Facebook, and review previous work experience for some stuff to talk about in depth during behavioral interview.   Answer Question
    Very easy to negotiate, recruiters are very eager to work with you and to let you make the best decision possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2013.

2 phone questions

Interview Questions
    • General algorithm questions on the more difficult side.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

The FB recruiters were very on-the-ball and determined to get me to campus, and worked with me every step of the way. They flew me out, put me up in a nice hotel, and helped me know what to expect in the interviews. The process consisted of four interviews, broken up by lunch. Two "ninja" interviews (coding), one "jedi" interview (personality and values), and one systems design interview (whose cool name I forgot). The questions were tough, but fair. They definitely have a preference for code questions that combine data structures and creative thinking. My only complaint about the process was that they would spend a little too much time prior to starting the coding question asking me about my OS knowledge (I interviewed for a mobile job), and that left me pressed for time (sometimes) on the actual whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions
    • Design a web site sharing application, from the base at the phone level to the status of everything in the cloud.   View Answer
    Name a good price when they ask you "what would be your wow amount." The recruiter you work with puts together the package for you personally and gets it signed off on by VPs. It's a very quick process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

Had asked my friend to refer, within a week was contacted by recruiter and was asked for dates for telephonic screen. Provided my date preference, and within 2 days the phone screen was scheduled. Got result of phone screen next day, and was invited to Facebook HQ for a day long interview. Facebook has University Day, where they call people and conduct their interviews, also on the same day they have campus tour with tech talk. But, as I had other offer deadline, they were pretty comfortable in scheduling "one-off" interview for me, and was called on non-university day just for the interviews.

Interview process was awesome. Had total of 4 rounds (1 Behavioral and 3 technical). Also after first round, I was accompanied by Facebook Engineer for lunch, and he walked me over the campus. I loved the campus and the interaction with the engineer. He almost answered all my questions and further gave me reasons about why working at Facebook was awesome. Post lunch, had 3 back to back technical interviews. All the interviewers were smart, provided enough information about the problem and also left grey areas for me to ask and figure out. For all the questions, implementation was expected. Most of the time during my interviews, I was standing and writing/discussing code on the white board. Overall the day was hectic but it is indeed great fun as I got pretty interesting problems to solve and discuss.

After the interviews, I got my result after a week.

Summarize: Fast and Fair Process. Great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I had never heard of any questions that I was asked (in all the 4 rounds of interviews). So pretty much all the problem required me to think on the fly.   View Answer