Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter via employee referral. Chose to go on site for initial interview. This was followed by onsite day of interviews a few weeks afterwards (I asked for some time to prepare for coding tests). The second set of interviews comprised of 2 coding tests, one design, one behavioral, lunch with hiring manager and one interview related to my technical specialization. Received offer within a week of final set of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Coding tests were the hardest part for me since I have been out of school for a long time now :) Prepare for questions related to trees, graphs, strings, dynamic programming and practice writing code on paper.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Everyone was edgy when I started seeing people at Facebook, including the receptionists. Granted, job interviews tend to be critical, and we are the people who seemed to be begging for the highly-lucrative job positions. Then I saw this lady, who gave no self-introduction, no facial interaction, had only super-sharp look or pretended to be, who led me through these cold stairs, picked up a drink, and up to this tiny room, then started asking me questions. God bless her, turned out she was a software engineer, and may be the domain expert in my field. OK, so let's move on to programming, by which time I became edgy, too, knowing this lady sitting right behind me, feeling her freezing eyes examining up and down my neck, maybe my hair, too (I am a man). Did she notice my white hair as well? Anyway, the interview was quick (less than an hour), and I was let go. I knew there won't be any followup. Even if it does, am I willing to experience it again? What a fast way to ruin a day-off.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come to Facebook?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Phone screen, Excel test, phone interview, skype interviews, 30 page assignment, flew out for on-site interviews, more phone interviews, flew out again for on-site interviews. They put me through the ringer before they hired me. But the questions were relevant and the people I met were great. This was back in their Palo Alto offices though.

Interview Questions

• Pre-IPO, they asked me to write a paper on the valuation of Facebook. They also asked me what I thought the greatest technological advancement was in the past 20 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They sold me on the equity. I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Telephone chat with recruiter followed by an onsite interview. Onsite interview had five 45 minute interview sessions, and all of them were very technical (writing code on the whiteboard or talking about system design).

Interview Questions

• Questions about data structures, graphs, and tree traversal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very good so little negotiating was necessary.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. Had a chat on the phone and decided to mutually move ahead. The first round was a basic phone round with a software engineer ( nothing too difficult ). Cleared it and came onsite. As known, the pattern onsite is one behavioral interview with a coding question followed by 2 coding interviews and 1 design interview. Will not disclose the onsite questions due to NDA. The behavioral interview person was yawning throughout the 40 minutes and the coding interview question asked at the end of the behavioral interview was one of those questions which you either know/ don't know. I was expected to know the solution and code it in 10 minutes which pretty much negated the problem solving aspect of it. The 2 coding round questions were pretty standard. However, one of the questions was a text book question and I stated that I knew the solution to that question following which the question asked was way too tough to be solved in 25 minutes on the white board. Similarly the design interview involved a lot of math and was more difficult than coming up with an architecture . This had been informed prior to the interview though. Overall : The interview experience was mixed probably because most of the questions seemed to be the type of questions that one would/ wouldn't know. There was very little problem solving aspect to the whole process and sadly that is pretty much the case with some interviews for tech companies

Interview Questions

• Phone round question Given 2 strings, write a function to check if the two words are one edit away from each other. i.e one word can be formed from another by inserting/ deleting / replacing one character Valid Examples : car , cas car, card Invalid Examples : car, caert   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by facebook recruiter. I thought I will give it a try. I selected in person tech screen vs phone interview since I think it is much easier to express yourself in person, plus there is whiteboard. Especially, if it is a graph or tree problem, easier to draw on whiteboard. I had to sign NDA unfortunately, so won't be able to share the exact question. But for a software engineer (not senior), the question was pretty hard to solve in 40 minutes. Backtracking was required and the best solution to the problem is n! (n factorial). So if you haven't heard of the problem before, it is quite likely you will spend time just on finding an optimal solution before jumping to code. That's what I did. However, I was able to code most of the solution and interviewer seemed happy. He himself told me that. Interviewer was pretty nice. He answered my questions pretty well and seemed down to earth, only thing I am not sure is the choice of question. I was informed that they will not move ahead with the on-site round, which is what I expected.

Interview Questions

• NDA signed. But the question involved matrix calculations and required backtracking. Best solution was n!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interview

Quick interview process. I was contacted by the facebook recruiter, followed by a technical interview, where at first I had to answer questions about my previous jobs / projects and implement a couple of algorithms on whiteboard.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. We had a quick chat on the phone before he scheduled a phone screen with an engineer. I don't remember the question from the phone screen, but it was a standard coding screening type interview of about 30 minutes. There was a little bit of time for other questions, but the focus was entirely on coding ability. A few days later, the recruiter contacted me again and arranged for an on site interview in Seattle. I had four approximately hour long interviews with a shorter lunch interview part of the way through. Although the interviews were themed (e.g., "pirate", "ninja", etc.), all were very focused on coding except for one which focused on architecting a system. Several of the coding questions required figuring out the trick underlying the problem in order to get a good solution quickly. Many other companies have stopped asking these kinds of questions since they've found they are not very good at identifying the best people to hire. I felt like I reached satisfactory solutions for each of the questions, but based on feedback I received from the recruiter afterward it was clear they would have preferred me to have been faster. Everybody I interviewed with was friendly and fairly organized, but the sole emphasis on coding and problem solving questions turned me off to the interview process. While it's important to suss out a candidate's technical abilities, these questions don't do a very good job of that. Moreover, they completely ignore other qualities a senior engineer needs to succeed such as cultural fit, leadership abilities, ability to motivate/influence others, having vision, etc. Overall it felt like the process was overly tailored towards entry level college hires instead of mid-career professionals with existing experience. I did not get an offer, but would not have accepted anyways.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was ask to answer a few question about my resume and followed two coding questions. For each question, the interviewer asked the time and space complexity and how to improve them. At the end, he asked me whether if I had questions for him or the company.

Interview Questions

• 1. Binary Tree level order traversal 2. Given a string and a pattern '.' Matches any single character. '*' Matches zero or more of the preceding element.), find the first substring matching this pattern.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

Interview

Two Phone interviews with technical questions. I was referred by my friend working at Facebook. First, I had a phone interview with an engineer. The question was not harder than other companies' like Google. But He expected me to write completely a neat and bug-free code in less than 15min. After the 1st phone interview, I was told that I need to have another one in a week. The 2nd one was very similar to 1st one. Make sure to be prepared for writing a clean code fast.