Facebook

Updated Nov 25, 2014

3.3

387 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

It was scheduled interview after few days after I applied online. Not all of the online technical test questions were solved by me, but interview was scheduled anyway, which is good.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

The interview is quite intense, including several rounds of coding, design, and culture interviews. Some interviewers can be annoying. One person showed great disbelief when I mistook one of their great technologies by something else. Another guy was pounding me about why I wanted to be an engineer. And in one coding interview, the guy was looking at his phone while I was doing whiteboard coding. He apparently has less knowledge about the interview subject, but he did manage to find a small bug and failed me. I am glad that they did --- how can I work with such assholes? Compared to other places I went, Facebook has the highest concentration of mediocre quality, high ego engineers. An unpleasant place for engineers!

Interview Questions
    • Design questions probably, as they seem to want you to match some preset answer in their brain.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

1 Behavior/Past experience
    2 Ninja
    3 Lunch (not rated)
    4 Design
    5 Ninja

The behavior interview is about 1 hour, just talking about your past and current experience and projects you have done, plus a 15 mins coding test.

first Ninja is an opening question, essentially creating your own question based on a scenario and do some coding. My experience was really good so you have the flexibility to design questions you are familiar with.

Lunch was chat with a senior team lead, relax and get to know what you want to know.

Design was easy for me, since I have done a similar system at my current job.

the last ninja really sucked, the question is about a really unconventional event processing model using "pulling" instead of standard "push" model (like Storm), and the interviewer does not talk much and was not happy when I proposed the much simpler and intuitive push model. I failed on this one.

Interview Questions
    • The second ninja (coding) test was about event processing system using pulling model, which literally no one in the industry is using.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend.

Whole process took a week in a half - due to a pending deadline on my part.

I had a phone interview and was then invited onsite at the end of the week. The onsite interview was composed of 3 interviews. They were typical questions of any other technical interview questions - although slightly more tree-heavy than other companies.

On Monday I was contacted asking to provide references. I thought I had it in the bag because of this but Tuesday evening I was rejected.

I know that they were strong and wouldn't cause my rejection. So I guess references are asked for before the onsite interviews are processed?

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA so won't disclose the exact questions - but I'd practice up on tree traversals before interviewing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

very friendly hiring and interview. The recruiter settled for a telephone interview. I said my English was not good and they allowed me to change it into a face to face interview at the campus.and then I passed the telephone interview but failed the onsite.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I applied online, and then received email to arrange a first round phone interview, the engineer was nice and the question was easy, but it was my first interview, so I was a little nervous, two questions in 45 minutes:
    1. Find intersection of 2 sorted arrays.
    2. Move all non-zero elements into the front of array.

Interview Questions
    • Try to improve the intersection question by binary search, but I did not finish the coding.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I met the recruiter at a career fair. He was really helpful and scheduled me for an interview within the same week. I had a phone interview with one of the software engineers and was asked to code three technical problems. The first one was a list of anagrams and the other two were related to levelorder traversal of binary trees.

Interview Questions
    • From a list of words create a list of buckets with anagrams in the same bucket   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Saw the recruiter at a "office hours" kind of event a few days before the job fair at our school. Didn't really talk to the recruiter about all that much, but I think they were only offering interviews to people they saw at that event since they weren't at the job fair.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree, print every node on each level on a new line (i.e. print all the nodes on level 0 on one line, print all the nodes on level 1 on another line, etc.)   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

The process consisted of an onsite interview in Buenos Aires. It was a 30 minutes interview in which I had to answer 2 different problemas. After that they invited me to interview again in Menlo Park.

Interview Questions
    • I was told not to share the questions they asked during the interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Met at career fair and talked with a recruiter. Received an email to do an onsite interview. Within a couple days of the interview I was asked to attend a Campus day (on site) and was given a couple of possible dates. FB arranged flights and hotels (really really nice hotels) for the visit. Offers were extended within a week of the interview

Interview Questions
    • Find lowest common ancestors of a tree given nodes.   View Answer