Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

2 coding question , on 1st question they asked time and space complexity. second question divide number by a noter without using "/" and "%". The interviewer was good and provide hints when i am stuck . it was a good experience.the interview lasted for 50 minutes. i advise to practice lots of code on editor like coderpad.io / styli.com. This will help a lot in long run. I am waiting for there response!!!

Interview Questions

• Q1> reverse a inked list and print the reversed list . Ex: 1->2->3 , result:3->2->1 Q2> divider a number by another number and print result and remainder if any. you are not supposed to use "/" and "%" operation   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Facebook (Tampa, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

The process is straight forward , it consisted of multiple rounds , begins with screening , technical interview , and then HR and technical round at headquarters. My phone screening was easy totally based on resume and then there were two technical rounds online to be taken one to one

Interview Questions

• Technical round , I was asked to code in Java ( select the best language you have expertise) Question --> Take an array ( length to be declared at command prompt) if length ==2 , print (1,2), 1,3 1,4 .... if length is 3 print 1,2,3 (1,2,4) and so on   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Process: This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview. Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch. All interviews were 45-mins length. Interviews themselves: On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum. On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common. I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc. Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident. Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in May 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was fairly straight forward and fair. The interviewer was nice and answered all of my questions. I actually had to reschedule my phone interview twice and I am grateful how they handled it. Overall the interview was simple if you are experience it CS and I simply screwed up.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on facebook site, and was contacted not so long after, told to schedule a date for an interview. I was called exactly the time given, interviewer went straight to the point. He gave a very brief introduction about himself and we went straight to coding. He asked me just one question but I couldn't give the right answer as I did not go over some basic data structures. I would advice that if you have an interview for any SWE, you should go over everything!

Interview Questions

• Given a string with parenthesis like "()()(()(()()", check to see if there are matching pairs. If there are matching pairs, return true, else return false. For example, ()()() returns true, ()()()) returns false.   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Roughly 45 min phone interview starting with introducing yourself and your working experience, Academic experience etc. Then a coding exercise using an online document sharing with a C language algorithmic question. i.e Without using STL or other external libraries. The question is a basic String Algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• given a string ( char* ) Write a program to Rotate its words i.e: void RotateWords(char* str);   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in May 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview. Interviewer was very friendly and explained her work at Facebook. She asked for my introduction, then proceeded to a coding question. Advice: Definitely go over glass door questions and be able to do other variations of the problems here.

Interview Questions

• Convert a binary tree to a circularly doubly linked list. head->prev = tail node. tail->next = head node. Do not use any other data structures. Must be done on the tree itself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Met recruiter at the Facebook offices, she showed me around. Because I was applying for an engineering position, it started on the engineering floor, which isn't too big. Nice offices but nothing super special, she did mention they were moving fairly soon. After the brief tour went down to the 2nd floor and went to a small room for the technical screen. An engineer came in and for a minute or two asked me about my background and work experience. Then went and asked me two technical questions. The first one was pretty straight forward, but I spent a long time explaining my thought process and debugging and everything. (As a ton of sites say you do). Second one was a bit more of a puzzle question and stumbled a little on it, basically it was a binary search algorithm. Unfortunately a miscommunication at the beginning of the question caused me to try to think of it in a different direction, but eventually got it and realized time was up so I quickly coded the solution and debugged it, but didn't explain myself probably because I knew the time was up. Ultimately got both questions right with a minor stumble and then was not asked for a further interview, so I really have no idea why, and unfortunately I understand for legal ramifications why they can't tell me. However not getting past the screen was unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Basic string modification question.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I have interviewed with facebook 3 times. every time they ask the same stupid question given an array of integers, find 3 integers that sum to zero. as many as 3 people from HR get involved to schedule a simple phone screen. and even after solving the problem in O(n^2) time, i did not get any on-site with them.

Interview Questions

• given an array of integers, find 3 integers that sum to zero   3 Answers
    • given sorted circularly linked list how would you insert an element in it?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

applied online. Contected by recruiter for initial screening in facebook office. When to local fb office, where I waited for few minutes after getting to reception. First, recruiter gave tour of center and talked about perks and then took me to conference room, where I met interviewer whole first discussed about my past projects and then jumped on coding question.

Interview Questions

See What Facebook Employees Are Saying

Current Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

Pros: “Move fast and break things. . .focus on impact. . .make the world more open and connected. . .all sound like great propaganda, but does Facebook walk the walk? Overall, the answer is a...”“Move fast and break things. . .focus on impact. . .make the world more open and connected. . .all sound like great propaganda, but does Facebook walk the walk? Overall, the answer is a resounding yes and that's what makes this place different. Having worked in the analytical space for everything from startups to very large companies, there are several things about Facebook that are special. First, FB is like Lake Wobegon. . .all your peers are (well) above average and you will learn as much as you want from them. This can be a little intimidating at first if you're used to being the big fish in a small pond but having world class colleagues is more than worth it. Second, the culture is as advertised. You are expected to run with things. . .it's not like a lot of places where no one person can tell you yes but anybody can say no. Waiting for consensus is not the expectation but instead you should run with something until somebody with a good reason makes it clear why you should stop. Another cultural thing is the notion of impact. . .it's really the only thing that matters. Have impact and you will prosper. Particular to analytics, our infrastructure is ridiculously good. Having worked with large banks and ecommerce sites, poorly documented data on janky infrastructure is a real drag. Here you have powerful tools that allow you to move fast. . .but note that "you" have the tools, not some jr person at your beckon call to do your dirty work. Last, there's all of the benefits and perks that any good tech company has to offer. . .of course they're great but that's all pretty well documented and if that's what you're fixated on you're missing the point of what makes this place great.” – Full Review