Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I have interviewed with facebook 3 times. every time they ask the same stupid question given an array of integers, find 3 integers that sum to zero. as many as 3 people from HR get involved to schedule a simple phone screen. and even after solving the problem in O(n^2) time, i did not get any on-site with them.

Interview Questions

• given an array of integers, find 3 integers that sum to zero   3 Answers
  • given sorted circularly linked list how would you insert an element in it?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

applied online. Contected by recruiter for initial screening in facebook office. When to local fb office, where I waited for few minutes after getting to reception. First, recruiter gave tour of center and talked about perks and then took me to conference room, where I met interviewer whole first discussed about my past projects and then jumped on coding question.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a technical recruiter, and did a short talk about the potential position I was interested. The technical recruiter is very nice and responsible. Then did a telephone interview by an engineer from Facebook. The engineer asked something like why I chose Facebook, and asked me to solve one problem.

Interview Questions

• For a binary tree, write an iterator class, which can in-order traverse the binary tree, implement two operations, next() and hasnext(). E.g., if in-order traversing a binary tree will return 2 3 4 5 6, then first call next(), it will return 2, call next() again, it will return 3, etc.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. I got an email from a recruiter with a questionnaire asking about my experience, why facebook, etc. Next step was a phone interview. The interviewer was very nice and helpful. The interview question was not difficult. I gave an optimal solution with some help, also finished coding in time. I don't know what they don't like about the interview, but probably I was not very fast coding and testing the code. I got an email after a few hours that they do not want to move forward.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

Interview

I had two technical interviews (they are not back-to-back, with about a two-week interval) plus one team matching interview on the phone. The whole process took 4~5 weeks. In both tech. interviews, there were two simple algorithm problems. My interviewer shared me a link on collabedit and I just coded there. All questions were quite basic and nothing surprising happened.

Interview Questions

• Q1A: In a maze with empty spaces and walls, given a starting point and ending point, find a path (not necessarily shortest). (Just BFS, DFS...)
      Q1B: If the maze is stored on multiple nodes on a cluster, what do we have to do? (No coding, just give ideas)
      Q2: Given an array and a target number, tell whether there are three numbers in the array which add up to the target number. (Time complexity should be O(n^2))
      Q3: Topological sort.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Onsite tech screen followed by 4 1:1 rounds. Three of the technical rounds were on coding questions and one of them had a design problem. Most of the technical problems were easy but I didn't code well probably because I didn't take enough time to practice whiteboard coding. The design round had an interesting problem. I'll probably appear in this once more in a year. All interviewers were good and well-behaved. The process was smooth as well. The recruiter communicated my area of weakness (coding) and I concur with what they found.

Interview Questions

• Convert a tree to a doubly linked list.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

submit my resume through internal referal. Got contacted by someone a new established department in Facebook. He give me a 10 minute quick chat about this newly established department, and set up a first round interview a week after that. I did bad in that interview. Although it's a very common data structure/ algorithm problem

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree, print all root-to-leaf paths   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

I had applied online for a summer internship. Recruiter reached out to me and scheduled phone interview. I got through first round phone interview. Second round was also phone interview. It went pretty well but I did not get an offer. Interviewers asked some basic questions about my background, projects etc. Then they spoke a bit about their background. Interviewers are friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, find three integers a, b and c such that a+b+c=0.
      Modification: If the array is given in sorted order, can you do it without O(n) space?

2 Answers
    • Given a large input string, write a function to check if it is a palindrome, according to the following restrictions:
      -lowercase and uppercase characters are considered equal
      -special characters are ignored

2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

There are two phone screens followed by a day of on-site interviews which consist of technical interviews similar to the phone screens but also one on culture and another on system architecture.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, push all non-zero elements to the front.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online via Facebook web page and after few days I was contacted via recruiter. During HR interview I was asked one coding problem very generic and then as next step a scheduled interview with team member for more coding questions. Time was around 45 minutes for only 1 question whch I answered but not very efficiently.

Interview Questions

• Generate a subset of a known list of objects. This subset should consider all elements randomly. Consider time complexity   2 Answers