Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I had two coding phone interviews but did not move forward to the team matching interview.
For each round, a engineer first introduced himself ask a little bit about your experience. Then they go to coding questions directly. I perform good at first round but not that good at second round.

Interview Questions
  • The coding questions are not that hard for both two rounds.
    In the first round, the two questions are (1) return the sum of the k-largest digits ([0-9]) in the array (2) implement a LRU cache (least recently used)
    In the second round, the two questions are (1) return the index of the largest element, if more than one element reaches max, pick one unifromly at random; (2) clone a graph. the graph is directed, unweighted and not necessarily fully connected.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I applied through a referral, 1 Skype interview (2 were scheduled but I didn't make it past the first one). The interviewer briefly introduced himself and asked me a coding question straight away. I chose to use Java. No behavioral questions, just 1 coding question. Contrary to what most people have said, I got an interviewer who wasn't very friendly. He was there to do his job. Plain and simple.

Interview Questions
    • Before I get to the question I just want to say that the interviewer had a very thick accent (I'm an international candidate, BTW), and that made it really difficult for me to understand what he wanted me to do. This isn't me being bitter. I'm saying this so that I present a very honest opinion about my interview.
      That being said, the question wasn't something that can be found online or in most books, I was given 2 functions String recv() and String ReadLine() [ both these DO NOT take arguments]. recv() generates some string (Example:"123\n45\n6789"). ReadLine() should read the string being returned by recv() and print all characters until the first \n. After that it should read the recv() string again and print the next characters until the 2nd \n.
      Example: recv(): "123\n45\n6789"
                     ReadLine(): "123" //first call of ReadLine
                     ReadLine(): "45" // second call of ReadLine
      However, the next sequence now doesn't have a \n. So, once the end of the string is hit, the ReadLine() function must call recv() again, and append all characters until it reads a \n.

Continuing the above example: ReadLine():6789abcde //Third call of ReadLine
                                                        recv():"abc"// still no \n...so you must call recv() again
                                                        recv():"de\n"

The commented sections are my explanations (the interviewer didn't give any such things). I've explained the problem as clearly as I can. Unfortunately, the interviewer kept overwriting his examples, and (I have to emphasize this) his accent made it really hard to understand just what he wanted out of this program.

View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I had on campus interview. It was fairly straightforward (data structures and Algorithms ) question. But they give you 30 mins to solve the question and are looking for a really efficient solution. I recommend trying to crack down the most effective solution you can.

Interview Questions
    • find largest element in non transitive sequence of elements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I'm talking about the on-site interview. The process began with a checkin and confirmation. Then there was a 40 minutes technical interview. It was not that hard but I didn't make it. After that, we enjoyed the lunch with the recruiter at the dining hall and it ends with an amazing tour in the FB campus.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the consecutive sequence of numbers whose sums equal to a target number.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interviewer called from California, talk on the phone and write on colabedit.com. The most important thing for facebook is you never made bugs on simple questions. Also, you need to communicate more with the interviewer to clarify some uncertainty.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Given a string, write a function to decide whether it is a palindrome.
      2. Anagram. Given a list of string, group those that are anagrams.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I'd applied through facebook website university recruiting. I got an email from their recruiter within 2 days and I set up the telephone interview in two weeks. The interview was supposed to be a technical interview in collabedit. The interview started of with basic behavioral questions. What is the most exciting thing you have done till now? My speaking skills are very sub par, so I fumbled a lot while answering behavioral questions. Then I was asked to suggest an Algorithm to print the nodes of a binary tree in their vertical order.That is the a
                                                      b c
                                                      d e
                                                      f g
    Then output is
    b f a d c g e

I solved the question without much of the interviewer's help in under 5 minutes. Then I was asked to code this in collabedit, which I almost did, except for some small issues in has map.
    Then the interview ended. I was pretty confident of getting selected for this round. But I was told via email by my recruiter that they coudl not move forward with my application.(heartbreak)

Till today, I refresh in my inbox hoplessly waiting for an email that there was some error :'(

Interview Questions
    • Print the nodes of a binary tree columnwise . For example
      Input :
      Then output is
      b f a d c g e

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by email by two recrutiers, they were very nice and atentive giving material to help with my doubts. It would be 2 or 3 rounds of phone interviews before the result, but I was out in the first. My interviwer was pretty cool, nice and really sincere.

Interview Questions
    • If you would change something in facebook, what would it be?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I applied through an internal referral. The process took about one week. A recruiter contacted me via email. At the interview, an engineer called me via phone. He was in bad mood. He asked me Why Facebook and was not satisfied with my answer at all. He interrupted me a lot during the whole interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Reached out to by recruiter, had phone chat with her. She set up two technical phone screens, followed by 4 technical onsite interviews. Had a chance to talk to some really experienced engineers and everyone was really friendly during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions
      - Print all paths in a binary tree
      - Function to find the square root of a number
      - Pretty print JSON object
      - How would you design home feed?
      - Simple regex matcher

View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Applied through university career fair. Received a call within a week, and scheduled an interview a week later. Was asked a question on graphs. The interview experience was pleasant. The interviewer gave me time to think. The interview went on for 45 minutes. The process was smooth. Received a reject email a week later.