Facebook

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I applied through an internal referral. The process took about one week. A recruiter contacted me via email. At the interview, an engineer called me via phone. He was in bad mood. He asked me Why Facebook and was not satisfied with my answer at all. He interrupted me a lot during the whole interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Applied through referral. 45 minutes telephone interview. The interviewer was very nice. She guided me through the interview process and gave me 5 minutes to ask any questions. Two coding questions which are easy. One question is about Trie and the other is about binary search.

Software Engineer Interview

Overall interview process was fantastic! Loved it though I did not get the offer.

Sourcing Recruiter contacted me on Linkedin when I was not looking. After 6 month or so I contacted same recruiter. I got prompt response from this point till the end.

I went through 1st technical round of interview onsite as I was local to their HQ. They prefer onsite though one can choose phone interview. For me onsite worked out well.Nearly 1-hour interview with one person. Two programming questions one on link list and other on BST. For each involved finding the solution (easy to optimal) and then write code optimal solution. I did this pretty well as I had prepared for data structures and algos.

They immediately called me for full day onsite interview. Again I prepared lot on data structures, algorithms and related problem solving. And boom..that was my mistake. I forgot to focus on system side (locking, synchronization, deadlock) in detail. 5 interviewers, 45 min each. No on asked on data structures/algo. Two interviewers asked on locking related question, 1 design, 1 manager and last guy did combo of everything. Mostly I screwed up on locking related questions as I took many hint and long time... sigh..

Everyone was professional. Communication was prompt and fast!

Interview Questions
    • Design backend system to run app like facebook where query is to get two levels of friends of friend. Open ended question..   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Applied through university career fair. Received a call within a week, and scheduled an interview a week later. Was asked a question on graphs. The interview experience was pleasant. The interviewer gave me time to think. The interview went on for 45 minutes. The process was smooth. Received a reject email a week later.

Software Engineer Interview

From university. two phone interviews, then onsite interviews with 3 rounds. the whole process was very nice. But the one of the employee was not good.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Facebook recruiter got in touch with me. Had a phone conversation with her. She setup a phone screen within a week. Used Collabedit for coding. Two questions. Got a reply back within a week. Setup on site for the next week. 1 behavioral, lunch, 2 coding, 1 system design. The questions I got were weren't super difficult except for the system design question (how will you design the social graph with class, interfaces, etc). Other questions were, implement Pow, convert from decimal to roman and vice versa, binary tree serialization and deserialization, implement concurrent read/write buffer. For the system design question, the interviewer was very helpful and provided hints when I got stuck.

Interview Questions
    I didn't have a competing offer but they made a better offer when I said that I will not accept their offer. I have 5 years of industry experience and already work fulltime at a big company.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Firstly, I applied for FB position online and then an HR contacted me to appoint a time to chat.
    The chat with HR including:
    1. What the basic interview process.
    2. What the basic hiring process if get offer
    3. Free chat to understand my background

Then one day later I received mail to determine a skype screen date.
    The interview through skype
    1. firstly self introduction and ice breaker.
    2. 2 coding execises
    The execises is similar with that in leetcode that of easy/medium level

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty is to be calm down and devote yourself to think about the questions. Don't try to recall some problems that you've resolved, it may waste your time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter. The entire process was efficient and quick. After the initial phone call with the recruiter, I received an email with details about interview process and how to prepare for technical interview in general, which I think it was pretty nice. I was scheduled for the phone interview one week after. The phone interview includes behavior questions and online coding and it took about 45 minutes. It started with typical introduction and then I was asked to talk about one of the works/projects listed on my resume and why I would pick to talk about that particular one. The interviewer didn't seem to impress about the project I picked to talk about. There were a couple of behavior questions (i.e. conflict resolution etc). Then the longest part of the phone interview was a coding question. You can pick any language you'd like, which is a plus. The coding question was not difficult, but clearly not an easy one, requires some thoughts. Be prepared to provide test cases. I had it working but not covering many edge cases. At the end, you can ask the interviewer any question, which I did. It sounded like the interviewer didn't seem to be excited about the current work, but kind enough to give me details about the challenging parts and current interesting problems the interviewer has been working on. I heard back the interview result from the recruiter exactly one week after.

Interview Questions
    • String manipulation: Giving a string input, containing comments, implement a method to output the given string excluding the comments.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Contacted a technical recruiter who helped set up a technical phone interview with an engineer. The phone interview last 45 minutes with a typical algorithm optimization problem. The engineer works with me to come up with a better version of my brute-force solution which was great and the whole process was very educational as well.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have enough time to research on the question but if you search around on this site and google, you should be able to cover most of the basic questions that were asked.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook.

They called me via Skype, we had a normal conversation about my interest and they asked me about my knowledge for the projects that Facebook are working on. Then they give me the oportunity to ask anything about Facebook.