Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I have interviewed with facebook 3 times. every time they ask the same stupid question given an array of integers, find 3 integers that sum to zero. as many as 3 people from HR get involved to schedule a simple phone screen. and even after solving the problem in O(n^2) time, i did not get any on-site with them.

Interview Questions

• given an array of integers, find 3 integers that sum to zero   3 Answers
  • given sorted circularly linked list how would you insert an element in it?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA).

Interview

Process: This is for undergrad full-time software candidates in USA. Submitted resume at college career fair. Got email about on-campus interviews. At this stage, there are 3 possible outcomes: onsite invitation, a phone interview for an additional chance, or reject. I was invited to onsite interview. Onsite was a "University Day" that included three interviews (not four like they said in the email) before lunch and then a tour, new-hire panel, etc after lunch. All interviews were 45-mins length. Interviews themselves: On-campus interview: 3 coding questions. I don't remember signing any NDA at this point so, the questions were k-Nearest Points to Origin, finding a substring, and 3-sum. On-site interview: 3 interviews, 45 mins each. 1st interview: 2 coding questions. 2nd interview: behavioral questions (about team conflict, etc.) and a coding question. 3rd interview: 2 coding questions. Coding questions were easy and required *no knowledge* of special algorithms or data structures (such as graphs, DP, trees, etc). Recursion and strings were common. I did not get an offer from Facebook; however, I received offers from other companies. The interview questions themselves were considerably easier at Facebook than those asked at Google, LinkedIn, MS, Amazon, etc. Since the questions are not very hard, my guess is the decision is based upon fit and most importantly how *quickly* you were able to arrive at your solution and how *perfect* your code was. Make sure you focus and are confident. Advice: practice the easier questions and practice coding them. Also, looking at some of the other experiences on Glassdoor, it looks like a majority of the questions are re-used.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

applied online. Contected by recruiter for initial screening in facebook office. When to local fb office, where I waited for few minutes after getting to reception. First, recruiter gave tour of center and talked about perks and then took me to conference room, where I met interviewer whole first discussed about my past projects and then jumped on coding question.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. I got an email from a recruiter with a questionnaire asking about my experience, why facebook, etc. Next step was a phone interview. The interviewer was very nice and helpful. The interview question was not difficult. I gave an optimal solution with some help, also finished coding in time. I don't know what they don't like about the interview, but probably I was not very fast coding and testing the code. I got an email after a few hours that they do not want to move forward.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a technical recruiter, and did a short talk about the potential position I was interested. The technical recruiter is very nice and responsible. Then did a telephone interview by an engineer from Facebook. The engineer asked something like why I chose Facebook, and asked me to solve one problem.

Interview Questions

• For a binary tree, write an iterator class, which can in-order traverse the binary tree, implement two operations, next() and hasnext(). E.g., if in-order traversing a binary tree will return 2 3 4 5 6, then first call next(), it will return 2, call next() again, it will return 3, etc.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Onsite tech screen followed by 4 1:1 rounds. Three of the technical rounds were on coding questions and one of them had a design problem. Most of the technical problems were easy but I didn't code well probably because I didn't take enough time to practice whiteboard coding. The design round had an interesting problem. I'll probably appear in this once more in a year. All interviewers were good and well-behaved. The process was smooth as well. The recruiter communicated my area of weakness (coding) and I concur with what they found.

Interview Questions

• Convert a tree to a doubly linked list.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in March 2015.

Interview

I had two technical interviews (they are not back-to-back, with about a two-week interval) plus one team matching interview on the phone. The whole process took 4~5 weeks. In both tech. interviews, there were two simple algorithm problems. My interviewer shared me a link on collabedit and I just coded there. All questions were quite basic and nothing surprising happened.

Interview Questions

• Q1A: In a maze with empty spaces and walls, given a starting point and ending point, find a path (not necessarily shortest). (Just BFS, DFS...) Q1B: If the maze is stored on multiple nodes on a cluster, what do we have to do? (No coding, just give ideas) Q2: Given an array and a target number, tell whether there are three numbers in the array which add up to the target number. (Time complexity should be O(n^2)) Q3: Topological sort.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

I had applied online for a summer internship. Recruiter reached out to me and scheduled phone interview. I got through first round phone interview. Second round was also phone interview. It went pretty well but I did not get an offer. Interviewers asked some basic questions about my background, projects etc. Then they spoke a bit about their background. Interviewers are friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, find three integers a, b and c such that a+b+c=0. Modification: If the array is given in sorted order, can you do it without O(n) space?   2 Answers
    • Given a large input string, write a function to check if it is a palindrome, according to the following restrictions: -lowercase and uppercase characters are considered equal -special characters are ignored   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

submit my resume through internal referal. Got contacted by someone a new established department in Facebook. He give me a 10 minute quick chat about this newly established department, and set up a first round interview a week after that. I did bad in that interview. Although it's a very common data structure/ algorithm problem

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree, print all root-to-leaf paths   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Facebook in April 2015.

Interview

There are two phone screens followed by a day of on-site interviews which consist of technical interviews similar to the phone screens but also one on culture and another on system architecture.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers, push all non-zero elements to the front.   1 Answer