Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014

3.3

359 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

1 phone interview : merge sorted list, maximum path in tree
3 round onsite : Regular expression, strStr, anagram, split sentence into words, talk about projects
1 extra phone interview after onsite : talk about projects, count and say
All the questions can be found in leetcode

Interview Questions
  • Regular expression and strStr. I was not able to give KMP algorithm to strStr   View Answers (5)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineering Interview

Two coding questions:
    1) print binary tree level by level
    2) regular expression matching

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Went onsite for the interview. I was asked regex matching. The recruiters were pretty nice. The interviewer was grim and did not give any reaction. I thought I did well but didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter in early 2014. I was set up with an engineer for a phone interview. The first few questions were about my resume, simple stuff about projects I've worked on and prior experience. Then I was asked two technical questions, one about recursion and one about trees. I fully solved and optimized the tree problem but struggled a bit with the recursive problem. Overall it wasn't too difficult but make sure you prepare well before going in!

Interview Questions
    • A recursive problem involving how many combinations you can make out of a set of numbers. Know your data structures, the problem used both hash tables and lists.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook.

First round interview, 45 mins long

Interview Questions
    • How would you multiply two strings: "123 * "45", without any casting.   View Answers (8)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

A 45 minutes phone interview as expected. They asked several questions about the background. Talk something about yourself, your project, your interests. And then moved forward to the code interview on Collabedit. The question is the simple 3 sum and pow(). At the end, they asked whether you have some questions about facebook.

Software Engineer Interview

I knew based on the reactions of the interviewers that it was very probably a bust, but overall a good experience and something I will learn from. Very disappointing in the LA area - and to work on their super high scalability issues but such is Life.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter in LinkedIn and started interview process. He was transparent, prompt and supporting during the process. He updated me every on every step and details and he was prompt: getting feedback after 3 hours from phone interview speaks for itself. Then I had on-site interview, three interviewer liked my answers, system design really like my design and thinking, but apparently one of the interviewer didn't like my coding style and I was asked to come for one more interview just to check the coding part again. So tip: use whiteboard better, apparently working and clean code is not enough it needs to look clean on board as well :) Overall process was positive. But, I had a feeling that some interviewers are really un-experienced and focus on wrong things. Also big difference from other companies: they expect you to be really fast (read - you need to know answer upfront). If you don't know answer upfront, but come up with solution after thinking, trying, making misatkes and optimizing - it doesn't count, at least it didn't in my case. Try to solve my problem below (if you don't know answer already), implement, test it on board in 15-20 minutes.
    Advice for FB: train your interviewers to focus on skills, NOT memorized skills.

I have offer from big companies/competitors, so I will just go with them.

Interview Questions
    • Question is verbose, uses search engine, string matching etc., but at the end boils down to this: There is two dimensional array where each sub array (row) is sorted, i.e.

[[1 1000 2000]
      [20 10001 5000]
      [55 10002 222222]]

Find a minimum range contain a number from each row. For above array it should be (1000-1002) range.
        View Answers (8)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

It was an on-campus interview in CMU. I went to one of the job affairs of the university, and received an email about the interview within a week.

Facebook also held a candidate reception in one of the plazas near CMU campus. We got the chance to know our interviewers in advance to ask any questions.

Interview Questions
    • As for the interview itself, I was asked several general questions about my projects (nothing too special, really). The coding question is a standard regular expression matching one which you can find on LeetCode. Since I'm still doing my Master program, I haven't yet reached that far on LeetCode. I did solve the question in the end after the interviewer gave me some hint...But I don't think I did a very good job.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

They asked me to code on Collabedit. The first question was finding the largest drop in a an array. The second question was implementing a regex matching function. My interview was not bad, but overall, I am not pleased with the hiring process in Facebook. The interviewer was ignorant in my expert field.