Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2014

3.3

345 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

1 phone interview : merge sorted list, maximum path in tree
3 round onsite : Regular expression, strStr, anagram, split sentence into words, talk about projects
1 extra phone interview after onsite : talk about projects, count and say
All the questions can be found in leetcode

Interview Questions
  • Regular expression and strStr. I was not able to give KMP algorithm to strStr   View Answers (5)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook.

I applied online and was contacted by the recruiter and send me an invitation to solve the programming puzzle online. After it, I received the mail from recruiter and set up a technical phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter in early 2014. I was set up with an engineer for a phone interview. The first few questions were about my resume, simple stuff about projects I've worked on and prior experience. Then I was asked two technical questions, one about recursion and one about trees. I fully solved and optimized the tree problem but struggled a bit with the recursive problem. Overall it wasn't too difficult but make sure you prepare well before going in!

Interview Questions
    • A recursive problem involving how many combinations you can make out of a set of numbers. Know your data structures, the problem used both hash tables and lists.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2013.

Quick hiring process - first interview is all technical. It will be all on algorithms and memory complexity.

Software Engineer Interview

Recruiter contacted me from LinkedIn profile and got me first round of interviews in NYC office

Interview Questions
    • How do you find the kth smallest number in a binary search tree.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Phone interview and then on site. In the phone interview, they ask me to solve the 3 sum problem (check leetcode) and the bucket anagram problem. In the on site interview, 3 interviewers ask me three algorithm problems and also the behavior problems. Then there's a brief tour to the campus.

Interview Questions
    • On site interview, they ask me regular expression match (check leetcode) and search for range (like, 1,2 3, 7,7,7, 9, 9, return how many 7's in the array) and also knowledge about the garbage collection, linked list, reverse linked list.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Facebook in April 2012.

They found me at SO careers for some reason. First we had a HR with nothing really particular then an other skype/phone interview with real time coding. The guy was ok and friendly, answering all my questions. It was the usual American style interview with absolutely meaningless basic CS questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at facebook? (I didn't really... :))   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.
        View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

It was a phone screening. Everything was fine.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

They asked me to code on Collabedit. The first question was finding the largest drop in a an array. The second question was implementing a regex matching function. My interview was not bad, but overall, I am not pleased with the hiring process in Facebook. The interviewer was ignorant in my expert field.