Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.2

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I'm talking about the on-site interview. The process began with a checkin and confirmation. Then there was a 40 minutes technical interview. It was not that hard but I didn't make it. After that, we enjoyed the lunch with the recruiter at the dining hall and it ends with an amazing tour in the FB campus.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of numbers, find the consecutive sequence of numbers whose sums equal to a target number.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a referral, 1 Skype interview (2 were scheduled but I didn't make it past the first one). The interviewer briefly introduced himself and asked me a coding question straight away. I chose to use Java. No behavioral questions, just 1 coding question. Contrary to what most people have said, I got an interviewer who wasn't very friendly. He was there to do his job. Plain and simple.

Interview Questions

• Before I get to the question I just want to say that the interviewer had a very thick accent (I'm an international candidate, BTW), and that made it really difficult for me to understand what he wanted me to do. This isn't me being bitter. I'm saying this so that I present a very honest opinion about my interview.
      That being said, the question wasn't something that can be found online or in most books, I was given 2 functions String recv() and String ReadLine() [ both these DO NOT take arguments]. recv() generates some string (Example:"123\n45\n6789"). ReadLine() should read the string being returned by recv() and print all characters until the first \n. After that it should read the recv() string again and print the next characters until the 2nd \n.
      Example: recv(): "123\n45\n6789"
                     ReadLine(): "123" //first call of ReadLine
                     ReadLine(): "45" // second call of ReadLine
      However, the next sequence now doesn't have a \n. So, once the end of the string is hit, the ReadLine() function must call recv() again, and append all characters until it reads a \n.

Continuing the above example: ReadLine():6789abcde //Third call of ReadLine
                                                        recv():"abc"// still no \n...so you must call recv() again
                                                        recv():"de\n"

The commented sections are my explanations (the interviewer didn't give any such things). I've explained the problem as clearly as I can. Unfortunately, the interviewer kept overwriting his examples, and (I have to emphasize this) his accent made it really hard to understand just what he wanted out of this program.

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through career fair at my university. They hosted a pre-interview dinner so you can meet with your recruiter/on-campus interviewer. The next day I had my 45-min interview and it was a pleasant one. The question wasn't that hard and I didn't need any extra hint to solve it.

After that they sent me an onsite request (wait for 1 week), then I came to their HQ in MPK a week later. Had the interview by noon, then a good tour around campus. The onsite question was much easier, as I think if you're invited to onsite then be confident that you have a really good chance to get in.

After 2 business day I got the offer from FB. The compensation is really huge and very hard to decline.

As for tip, I would say get as much rest and be well prepared for the interview. They ask basic question but you need to have a clear mind to solve them comfortably, and please try as hard as you can to explain the thought process.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given an array with 0s and other integers. Find the fastest (that use least organizing) way to transfer all the 0s to the right end of that array.

2) Given an array of integer, find 2 numbers that their sum is closest to a specific number.

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by a technical person who is working on my interest area. And after some basic information emails, I was appointmented at a Thursday. They are using some web coding pages, then I joined that chat, the interviewer showed me a problem of coding. That problem was about tree, I didn't have much experience on trees so I asked him to change for some other questions. Finally I got an array question, but I didn't answer it wisely. Thus I got the rejection just the next day, their response time is really short.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array, find the emergence of given number.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Face to face 45min interview. After briefly asking some questions about your background on your resume, the interviewer gives 1 algorithm problem and 1 follow up regarding to how you solve this problem.
    Question:

Interview Questions

• Give a dictionary with a huge set of words and a string with wildcard. You are required to find whether there is a match in the dictionary for this given string.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interview

Did not apply. Recruiter approached me via LinkedIn. Gave me 3 weeks to prepare. Later a recent college grad from Whatsapp team approached me for a coding interview. The interview question was simple.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a Singly Linked List   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Reached out to by recruiter, had phone chat with her. She set up two technical phone screens, followed by 4 technical onsite interviews. Had a chance to talk to some really experienced engineers and everyone was really friendly during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Questions
      - Print all paths in a binary tree
      - Function to find the square root of a number
      - Pretty print JSON object
      - How would you design home feed?
      - Simple regex matcher

2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I was contacted by email by two recrutiers, they were very nice and atentive giving material to help with my doubts. It would be 2 or 3 rounds of phone interviews before the result, but I was out in the first. My interviwer was pretty cool, nice and really sincere.

Interview Questions

• If you would change something in facebook, what would it be?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I applied through an internal referral. The process took about one week. A recruiter contacted me via email. At the interview, an engineer called me via phone. He was in bad mood. He asked me Why Facebook and was not satisfied with my answer at all. He interrupted me a lot during the whole interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Applied through university career fair. Received a call within a week, and scheduled an interview a week later. Was asked a question on graphs. The interview experience was pleasant. The interviewer gave me time to think. The interview went on for 45 minutes. The process was smooth. Received a reject email a week later.