Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Two technical phone screen interviews and afterwards and invite to the Facebook University Day at a campus of my choice (Menlo Park, Seattle or NYC) - all expenses paid. On campus I had a final technical interview with one of the developers. The rest of the day was spent getting to know the campus and some of the newly hired developers as well as a Q&A with a senior developer.

Interview Questions
  • Please tell me about a previous project of yours and what you would have to change in order to make it scale to millions of users.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I applied to the summer internship last year. However, I didn't hear anything until June. They said they were going to interview me for full time position. Then I told them I won't be graduating until this year summer. So, I postpone the interview to this year. They they got confused that I was applying to the summer internship this year. After a phone interview, they sent me onsite interview. The onsite interview was postponed for almost an hour without notice. I was waiting there for almost an hour. So, things were really rush.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

It was an on-campus interview, and was in a small room that was super hot and hard to concentrate in. My interviewer was not too helpful and would barely help me while I was struggling. Based on other interviews with tech companies, I felt like FB engineers could use a little more improvement in the way that they assist candidates.

Interview Questions
    • No NDA signed, so here's the question: Write an iterator to traverse through a binary search tree in order.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I was referred to Facebook by a friend who works there and was contacted by a member of HR about a week later. We set up a date for a 45-minute technical phone interview which was to be held a week and a half later.
    For the actual interview, I was first asked a couple of generic questions about myself and Facebook before moving on to the technical questions. There were two programming questions.
    For the first question, I first described what my algorithm would be, then discussed time and space complexity before finally implementing it. My interviewer didn't have anything to say about my answer and we simply moved on.
    I took the same basic approach to the second question; described my algorithm, discussed space/time complexity, and then implemented it. However, after discussing the space and time complexity for my potential solution, my interviewer asked me if I saw any draw-backs to my algorithm. I told him that it used a lot of extra space, and he asked if I could think of a more efficient (space-wise) solution. I thought about it for awhile, but unfortunately blanked out. He then suggested I just go ahead and implement my algorithm.
    The last 5 or so minutes of the 45 minute interview were devoted to me asking questions. I asked a few, and the interview was over.
    I received a generic rejection email 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you Interested in Facebook?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite feature of Facebook? Then as follow ups, what would you change about this feature, and what could be a drawback of this change?   Answer Question
    • Given "data", "from", and "to" fields, replaces all occurrences of the characters in the "from" field in the "data" field, with their counterparts in the "to" field.
      Example:
      Input:
      Data: "Hello World"
      From: "lod"
      To: "xpf"
      Output:
      "Hexxp Wprxf"

View Answer
    • Create an iterator class for a tree. The iterator should traverse the tree using in order traversal. Implement the constructor and next functions.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

The interviewer was very cool and he asked me about myself and my projects. He also asked why I want to choose facebook and then we started coding round, which took nearly 45 minutes.He mainly focused on performance tuning of algorithms.i.e How fast we can make spontaneous decisions for an algorithm to run fast.Overall, it was very good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

I was contacted by Facebook recruiter. The entire process was efficient and quick. After the initial phone call with the recruiter, I received an email with details about interview process and how to prepare for technical interview in general, which I think it was pretty nice. I was scheduled for the phone interview one week after. The phone interview includes behavior questions and online coding and it took about 45 minutes. It started with typical introduction and then I was asked to talk about one of the works/projects listed on my resume and why I would pick to talk about that particular one. The interviewer didn't seem to impress about the project I picked to talk about. There were a couple of behavior questions (i.e. conflict resolution etc). Then the longest part of the phone interview was a coding question. You can pick any language you'd like, which is a plus. The coding question was not difficult, but clearly not an easy one, requires some thoughts. Be prepared to provide test cases. I had it working but not covering many edge cases. At the end, you can ask the interviewer any question, which I did. It sounded like the interviewer didn't seem to be excited about the current work, but kind enough to give me details about the challenging parts and current interesting problems the interviewer has been working on. I heard back the interview result from the recruiter exactly one week after.

Interview Questions
    • String manipulation: Giving a string input, containing comments, implement a method to output the given string excluding the comments.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and heard back the next day. They gave me study material and resources to prepare for a phone interview.

The phone interview is tough. The level of difficulty is not bad but the pressure of being on the phone and having to code in a short period of time may cloud your mind.

Interview Questions
    • I received two questions. The first was print out all possible strings that a phone number can produce. For instance: 2 -> A,B,C and 3 -> D,E,F. So if the input is 23, then the output should be "AD, AE, AF, BD, etc.."
      The second question was if you had multiple points (x,y), find the n closest points to the origin (0,0).

View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Applied through referral. 45 minutes telephone interview. The interviewer was very nice. She guided me through the interview process and gave me 5 minutes to ask any questions. Two coding questions which are easy. One question is about Trie and the other is about binary search.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Pretty bad. The recruiter was unusually daft: sent me a form to fill out, then asked me the same questions (all of them) on the phone; asked what I was interested in working on, then sent me into the the pipeline I explicitly said I didn't want.

The young man who interviewed me didn't listen very well and had a very narrow view of what makes a good engineer: namely, a good engineer was someone a lot like him.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't at all difficult, if you're good at coding in interviews. ("Determine whether a string has unbalanced parentheses.")   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Interview

The first interview was at my University. It was your typical 45 minute face-to-face whiteboard coding style interview. During the first five minutes, my interviewer introduced himself and asked me questions about myself. Be prepared to talk about yourself and your resume. The next 35 minutes were spent entirely on 1 question. After arriving at a naive solution, I fined-tuned and optimized my code. The last 5 minutes were reserved for any questions I had.

I passed the first interview, and went on to the second interview. The flew me down to HQ. This interview went horribly. The question was more difficult than the first interview, and my interviewer's accent made him difficult to understand. After the interview, I toured Facebook's campus and had lunch, etc.

Interview Questions
    • First interview question: dutch flag problem. Given three color objects arranged randomly in an array, arrange them such that each object is together and their collective color groups are in the correct order.   View Answer