Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2014

3.3

345 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in June 2012.

I was referred by a friend. Got a phone call within 2 days from a recruiter. An interview was set up with the hiring manager of the team I interviewed for. Standard data structures and algorithms screen. Passed that pretty easily. I had 2 more phone calls and one onsite. Overall pretty pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
  • Not that difficult but was asked to compute the number of ways to make change for 100 dollars when an arbitrary coin from the set (5c, 10c, 25c) has to be the smallest amount of change given.   Answer Question

i decided to join a a smaller startup.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

(Front End Developer)

After going to a conference, and talking with several people from Facebook who also attended, I was contacted via email to see if I was interested in doing an interview.

I said yes, and got my first phone interview a few days later. In a shared code environment I needed to do a recursion assignment, and also create a polyfill. It went okay, although I wasn't happy with my performance on the polyfill. This took about 40 minutes.

The more surprised I was that they asked me for a second phone interview, whereby I also had to do a recursion question. I made it harder then necessary for myself, which was unfortunate.

After this I was invited to Facebook HQ, and had to do 4 interviews. Interviews were about recursion, closures, css, implementations. Unfortunately I wasn't good enough for Facebook, so that got me messed up for a month or so. I thought I did pretty good, but needed too much time to get going.

The recruiters and interviewers were great. The process went really smooth, and comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about recursion, css positioning, what would you like to do at Facebook, and closures.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Overall the process is very fast and all the interviewers are very nice.
    It take 3 weeks to finish all the interviews (include christmas and new year holidays).
    I took 1 phone screen + 2 coding + 1 system design + 1 research interview( for PHD ).
    All the coding questions are the common questions you could meet them easily when you read " crack the coding interview" or surf GeeksforGeeks.com, and there was no brainteaser.
    The system design problem is kind of hard, because there are no right or wrong answers. I think I didn't perform that well in this round, because I am not very experienced in large system design.
    The research interview mainly focus on my research project, and we also had a small coding part, I did well on that.
    Honestly, I am kind of surprise that I did not get offer from Facebook, maybe there were some requirements that I did not match.

Interview Questions
    • Overall Facebook's interview questions are interesting and not hard. All the interviewers are knowledgable and nice to talk to.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

I told them that I was on deadline with another offer from another top-tier Silicon Valley company, but even without special fast-tracking we managed to finish everything extremely quickly. On campus screen to onsite interview done within the same week and got my offer shortly afterwards!

Interview Questions
    • A bunch of pointer arithmetic and bit flipping questions, in the same interview as some dynamic programming problems   Answer Question
    New grad, so little if any negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in December 2013.

I was first contacted by a recruiter at Facebook. She told me that my background is very impressive and asked me if I would be interested in a software engineer position. I said that I would be excited and she scheduled the next round of interview with a Facebook engineer. It wasn't an on-site interview but a phone screening interview right before one.

The engineer first asked me why I would want to work at Facebook. Then we moved on to two technical questions. The first one was merging two sorted arrays (both length n) in the most efficient way when the latter of the arrays have buffer size 2n.

The second question was writing a function that checks if a tree is a binary search tree. For the second question, I got the right idea of using in-order traversal to check if it is a binary search but couldn't finish the implementation on time. After the interview, I wrote it on a editor myself and was sad to find out that it was not that complex at all.

Anyway I am still waiting for a reply and I hope I could proceed to on-site interview. :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Solved their online puzzle, got contacted by campus recruiter, scheduled phone interview, went on-site for 2nd round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, I solved all the problems but I think I was too slow on the first one, which goes like:
      Given an array of numbers, they are arranged so that the a[0] is in the 1st bucket, a[1]a[2] are in the 2nd bucket, a[3]a[4]a[5] is in the 3rd bucket and so on. The question is then: given a number, you need to return if it is in any bucket or not.
        View Answers (7)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

I uploaded my CV in their system and got contacted by a recruiter. In the initial phone screen we discussed my interests and strength and the recruiter got back to me about a group that sounded like a good fit.

Since I was local I did the first technical interview directly on site. It took about 45min. My interviewer was not directly associated with the group that I talked about with the recruiter. But he did take my background into account when asking questions.
    It went pretty well and a couple of days later, they invited me back for a full day of interviews.

The full day interviews were mostly general coding questions and one architecture session.
    Although this time, I was talking directly to the people from the group were I saw a fit with my background and interests, unfortunately the interviewers did not ask any related questions. They kept strictly to (I guess) Facebook approved coding questions. Those were very low level and I did only perform moderately well I think.

The architecture session went much better and was almost related to my background.

After the full day of interviews it was pretty clear that this was not a good fit. They confirmed that a couple of days later and the interview process stopped there.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult part were not the coding question itself but that they were the kind of questions where you have to be recall a lot from basic computer science classes. Things you tend to forget if you have already been working for a couple of years. But then again, that was not necessarily unexpected.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Fairly standard. 4 technical rounds and 1 phone interview in a period of 2-3 weeks. NDA got my hands tied.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Facebook in October 2013.

HR reach out to me from LinkedIn, and take one phone interview and then onsite. Though I didn't get offer from facebook, but I really enjoy the interview experience with Facebook, The HR is so nice! They booked two-night stay for me in Manhat, and can directly walk to Facebook in 5mins from the hotel.

Interview Questions
    • all the questions are normal questions but I have some bugs and then got rejected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook.

The interview process was very smooth. The recruiter kept me in the loop.