Facebook

Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.3

406 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

2 step process - started with a phone screen. Most of time on the phone screen was taken by a programming challenge, which was done through one of those online code editors. Passed it to get an on-site interview. Your interview continues so long as you're doing well. At then end, you get a tour of the facebook campus before being showed out.

Interview Questions
  • Can't answer due to NDA, although it's nothing unexpected. Algorithmic problems and whiteboard coding. Try to keep whiteboard coding as eat and organized as possible, and speak out load when you're writing.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by a recruiter about a possible position. While I was not immediately looking, I was intrigued enough to continue with the process.

I had a quick phone call with my recruiter to go over my background and experience. She concluded the phone call by determining my availability for a technical phone screen and followed up with some research materials to better prepare for the phone screen.

The technical phone screen was set up using collabedit as the platform for sharing code between myself and the interviewer. I was asked a few simple technical questions, and a few harder programming problems dealing with algorithms and data structures. The interviewer was patient and helpful.

The recruiter emailed me the same evening to let me know that I would not be moving further in the process, as my initial hesitations on the early data structure questions signalled poor understanding of basic concepts.

Interview Questions
    • You are given a string with each english character translated to its alphabetical position (e.g., the string "ABC" --> "123"). Provide a function that, when provided the string as an argument, will return the maximum number of strings the encoded string could represent (for example, "123" could represent "ABC", "LC", or "AW").   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2013.

An internal recruiter contacted me out of the blue by Linkedin and email. We scheduled a phone call. Talked about my experience and education and then about available positions at Facebook. He then invited me to come onsite for a short screening interview first. I requested a couple of weeks to prepare for the interview. He was perfectly ok with that and even sent me some links to preparation materials.

Instead of a phone screen, I had a short 1:1 interview for 45 minutes onsite. Mostly coding on whiteboard and a little time set aside for questions about the company.
    A week after that, four 1:1 interviews. Two coding interviews. One "manager" interview: mostly talking about past projects and future ambitions. One system design interview - you basically have to describe how you would design a given system without going into too much detail.
    Received a call from recruiter next day. He said that I will have to come for one more interview. So a week after I had another series of two interviews, one coding and one manager.
    I received an offer two days after the last interview.

During the whole process, the company was very flexible about scheduling interviews. Everything happens really fast if you want it, or you can take your time to prepare.
    Recruiter was very nice and supportive, as were people at FB in general. Some interviewers did not talk much and some were more willing to discuss, but all were very polite.

Coding questions involve basic data structures like trees, combinatorial problems and sometimes a relatively simple dynamic programming problem. They are not too hard but you have to do them quickly and explain everything clearly. Understanding of Big-O is a must!

Interview Questions
    I got what I asked for and did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in April 2013.

I came onsite for what was described as an hour-long introductory and technical interview. I was greeted by the recruiter and shown around the office (FB NYC), then we chatted for 10-15 minutes. Then an engineer came in and we started the technical part of the interview, which took 45+ minutes (we ran over).

First he asked me about Hadoop, since I mentioned that I used it at my current job. I used hadoop for machine learning tasks, so we discussed the details of the system.

The rest of the interview was coding on a whiteboard. The questions got progressively more difficult.

The first was: Given two string representations of binary numbers (e.g. "1001", "10") write a function that adds them and returns the result as a string as well (e.g. "1011").

The next had several parts:

(b) write a function that takes a list of binary numbers and returns the sum of the hamming distances for each pair

(c) the answer I gave for b was O(n^2), I was then tasked with finding a more efficient solution. I struggled mightily, and was eventually helped to the solution by many hints from the interviewer.

After that, I had a chance to ask questions of the interviewer, and then we were done. I don't know if I've made it to the next round or not.

Interview Questions
    • (a) first, write a function to calculate the hamming distance between two binary numbers

(c) find a solution for (b) that works in O(n) time.

View Answers (10)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Facebook in March 2013.

1) Calculate the square root of a double
    2) Given n intervals [si, fi], find the maximum number of overlapping intervals.
    3) Print all the paths from root to every leaf in a binary tree.
    4) Print the sum of all the numbers at every vertical level in a binary tree
    5) Given a set of n jobs with [start time, end time, cost] find a subset so that no 2 jobs overlap and the cost is maximum ?
    6) Given 1 trillion messages on fb and each message has at max 10 words, how do you build the index table and how many machines do you need on the cluster to store the index table ?

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of n jobs with [start time, end time, cost] find a subset so that no 2 jobs overlap and the cost is maximum ?   View Answers (9)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

one telephonic interview and then onsite interview. 4 interviews during onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Print all permutation of a given string.   View Answer
    • bool regular_expression_match(char* pattern, char* string) and pattern can contain kleene star.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in February 2013.

Career fair, 30 min interview a week after.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in November 2012.

Had brief phone conversation with interviewer initially, who scheduled a technical interview with an engineer working at Facebook HQ.

The second technical interview was fairly relaxed, I was asked to solve two problems using collabedit.com, firstly, finding all the anagrams in an array of strings, secondly, finding the number of ways a given score could be reached for a game with 3 different ways of scoring (e.g. 3, 5 and 10 points).

After the phone interview I was offered an onsite interview in at Menlo Park (travel expenses paid for). The interview day involved 4 back to back interviews with different engineers. The questions varied in complexity and required answers to be given on a white board. Those I can remember was implementing combinations(n, k), printing a binary tree L-R, and implementing a comparator function to sort files based on a certain naming convention.

I found it difficult to make any personal connections with my interviewers, they all seemed rushed and uninterested in striking up conversation - it was not an enjoyable experience. Indeed, my first interviewer was clearly more interested in what he was working on as he arrived ~20minutes late.

Interview Questions
    • Providing an algorithm for combinations(n, k), not because of it's complexity, just because it took my the majority of the interview to understand that this was the problem I was solving - it was not made very clear at all.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Facebook in October 2012.

No phone screen. One on-site in NY, one in CA. Both about 5 hours. Very pleasant experience. People were friendly and engaging.

Interview Questions
    • Smallest missing natural number in a linked list in linear time without a hash table.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in July 2012.

A recruiter has contacted me through linked-in, asked whether I'll be interested to work for them, then had a talk about why would I like to work for them and I replied: that I would like to work with the best engineers.
    Afterward I had a phone interview with some engineer, asked me to write binary search, when I finished, he asked me to write binary search on a shifted array (10 20 1 2 3 4). Wrote that and then asked me to find the offset (2) in log n. I guess I did that ok and then I was invited to onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • I had 4 consecutive interviews: first one was a general talk about my experience, second was to write a json beautifer, third was to design their newsfeed, and last was to write a program that prints all subsets of size k of a given set with n integers.   View Answer