Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2014.

Interview

They asked me to code on Collabedit. The first question was finding the largest drop in a an array. The second question was implementing a regex matching function. My interview was not bad, but overall, I am not pleased with the hiring process in Facebook. The interviewer was ignorant in my expert field.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in March 2014.

Interview

Phone call interview with engineer. Interviewer was very nice, talked about my previous work and his previous work. Then got into coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of k sublists containing n sorted integers, generate output as one sorted list.
      Comment on complexities.

7 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in January 2014.

Interview

Phone interview and then on site. In the phone interview, they ask me to solve the 3 sum problem (check leetcode) and the bucket anagram problem. In the on site interview, 3 interviewers ask me three algorithm problems and also the behavior problems. Then there's a brief tour to the campus.

Interview Questions

• On site interview, they ask me regular expression match (check leetcode) and search for range (like, 1,2 3, 7,7,7, 9, 9, return how many 7's in the array) and also knowledge about the garbage collection, linked list, reverse linked list.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2013.

Interview

Quick hiring process - first interview is all technical. It will be all on algorithms and memory complexity.

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in early 2014. I was set up with an engineer for a phone interview. The first few questions were about my resume, simple stuff about projects I've worked on and prior experience. Then I was asked two technical questions, one about recursion and one about trees. I fully solved and optimized the tree problem but struggled a bit with the recursive problem. Overall it wasn't too difficult but make sure you prepare well before going in!

Interview Questions

• A recursive problem involving how many combinations you can make out of a set of numbers. Know your data structures, the problem used both hash tables and lists.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Was referred by an employee working at Facebook. Was paired with a HR guy who facilitated the process via email. Did a phone interview with an engineer about a week after first contact. Did the technical interview and was told I would get a decision within the week. Didn't get a response after trying to follow up so I took it as a no.

Interview Questions

• The interview was pretty straightforward. The technical question had something to do with rearranging letters in a word, can't remember the details anymore.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Interviewed in November 2013. Initially contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Entire process took around 3 or 4 weeks. Two initial interviews followed by an onsite interview. The initial interviews went well, but I failed onsite I believe. The company is very chill overall; they had a keg in one of the rooms when I visited.

Interview Questions

• Asked to do a presentation on a specific topic for the entire team.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in June 2014.

Interview

I applied through website took 2+ months. FB is very efficient in hiring. The HR first sent some regular questions for me to answer, including the time to start working and so on, and then arranged the phone interview directly. On the same day of my phone interview, she arranged for onsite interviews. I was impressed with how efficient they are.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree, write code to print the tree out line by line   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Menlo Park, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Introduced into the whole process via a referral, so I was able to move quickly to an onsite interview. This was easily the best interview experience I've had in a long time - recruiter was friendly and extremely responsive, and each of the interviews was engaged during the interview.

Everything moved very quickly once I indicated that I felt prepared to interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing terribly surprising - be prepared to talk through CS fundamentals, large scale design, and code code code.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Facebook in May 2014.

Interview

Got contacted for a Embedded Software Engineer position. I am a low level developer. The interviewer was a research scientist. Our backgrounds were poles apart. He did not have a clue about the position I was interviewing for. At the end both were wondering why he was asked to conduct the interview.