Facebook

Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.3

405 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Online Application, submitted the resume only. Contacted next day for a phone interview.
After the first interview was schedule for a second phone interview. Finally went for the onsite interview in Menlo Park where there was 3 interview in the same day.

Interview Questions
  • Print a binary tree level per level.
     2 3
    4 5 6 7

Would print

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook.

Facebook had come on campus.The first round was simple coding questions .The second round was a telephonic screening for 45 mins. The interviewer explained his job role and gave 5 mins in the end to ask questions

Interview Questions
    • 1--a
      2--b
      ...
      26--z
      given a digit , return the count of the possible output
      eg. '1313' --- 4
      acac mac mm acm
      '101' --1
      ja
      cannot discard any digit .

View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Applied online. Got an email from a recruiter. Easy,efficient and painless process. The recruiters are really quick and will let you know the smallest of details regarding the interview.

Had a technical phone screen with an engineer from a similar team. Had to code on collabedit. Was initially asked some OOP concepts,Data structure questions.

The coding question was easy and i solved it correctly albeit a few corrections here and there. The code ran in O(n) with no space so i thought i did good. Question was find if one string is one edit distance away from the other string. This is the same as minimum edit distance question but with a twist. In this case you just want to know if its one edit away or not. The interviewer asked me if there was anything i could improve in the code, at that moment i did not think there could be any improvement other than some validation checks/readability of code. After the call i realized there was a small 5 line solution to this involving recursion but alas.

Software Engineer Interview

First I got a phone interview, where I was asked a few background questions like previous experience. After this, I received an email for an on-site interview. After a brief tour of the campus in Palo Alto, I was brought to a room where a Senior Software Engineer interviewed me. I was asked a number of simple questions, and then one complex coding question.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

Contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn. Phone interview set up one week after contact.
    Interviewer contacts you on day of interview and send you a link for an online document editor.
    Interview lasted 45 mins.
    The interviewer started off by asking me what my most interesting project is that I have worked on. This took less than 5 mins.
    Then the interviewer gives you the rest of the time to solve a programming problem.
    The last 5 mins or the remaining time you can ask the interviewer questions.

The question was fair. Not a brain teaser. Interviewer was very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Given a matrix, calculate the sum of a sub matrix given the start and end indices of the submatrix   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

I was contacted from a recruiter through Linkedin. I reply with my updated resume and the times for a phone call. The recruiter call me back the same week and ask about general background and some JavaScript questions, maybe because I commented about wanted to work in UI. The call took about 30 min. Two days later I received an email with a code challenge. After I delivered the challenge, two days later I got an email about not moving forward in my interview process.
    In general the recruiter was super helpful with all the questions that I had.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in September 2013.

Recruiter contacted on LinkedIn. Set up phone screen for a few days later, which consisted of basic behavioral questions and some technical questions (basically questions passed to the recruiters by engineering to weed out super weak candidates). Then a technical phone screen with an engineer. First a basic coding question. Second question was a weird one. It was basically a language specific question related to how to modify the default behavior of a certain class. I spent the rest and a long portion of the interview trying to understand what exactly needed to be done and couldn't come up with a solution at all. Then I asked the interviewer how what he was asking could be achieved and he told me about a similar class that would provide that capability. Since I had no idea about that class (and there's really no reason for anyone to know it off top of their heads), I wasted a lot of time trying to solve something that I could have never solved. This was akin to a trick question and obviously very flawed to ask to a software engineer to assess any analytical skills whatsoever. Then chit chatted with the engineer about Facebook but it was obvious that neither side wanted to engage in anymore conversation. Got a rejection email from the recruiter I believe a couple days later.

Interview Questions
    • A seemingly analytical coding question which couldn't be solved at all if you didn't know a certain class.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I applied through an employee referral. I soon got a 45 minute on-campus interview with an engineer. We jumped right in to technical questions. I was asked one whiteboard coding question (with some follow up questions on ways to break the algorithm, runtime, edge cases), and another easy whiteboard coding question (the fact that it was easier was not a good sign).

Interview Questions
    • The question I got was not a difficult question, but whiteboarding the code was where I messed up. It was: how do you find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I apply on Software engineering position. HR contacted me, and told that he thinks I'm not good for this position. I received email with some questions about my experience and what I want to do in Facebook.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Met the recruiter at a career fair, dropped off my resume, and was contacted for an on campus tech interview. Interviewed with a Russian guy with a really heavy accent and I could NOT understand much of what he was saying. He also got impatient with me and basically wrote the answer on the board after 1-2 minutes of watching me struggle. Not a very helpful or nurturing interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • you have a longggg list of words, return a list of distinct words along with the count of how many occurred using only 16gb of memory   View Answers (2)