Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview, and was in a small room that was super hot and hard to concentrate in. My interviewer was not too helpful and would barely help me while I was struggling. Based on other interviews with tech companies, I felt like FB engineers could use a little more improvement in the way that they assist candidates.

Interview Questions

• No NDA signed, so here's the question: Write an iterator to traverse through a binary search tree in order.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred to Facebook by a friend who works there and was contacted by a member of HR about a week later. We set up a date for a 45-minute technical phone interview which was to be held a week and a half later.
    For the actual interview, I was first asked a couple of generic questions about myself and Facebook before moving on to the technical questions. There were two programming questions.
    For the first question, I first described what my algorithm would be, then discussed time and space complexity before finally implementing it. My interviewer didn't have anything to say about my answer and we simply moved on.
    I took the same basic approach to the second question; described my algorithm, discussed space/time complexity, and then implemented it. However, after discussing the space and time complexity for my potential solution, my interviewer asked me if I saw any draw-backs to my algorithm. I told him that it used a lot of extra space, and he asked if I could think of a more efficient (space-wise) solution. I thought about it for awhile, but unfortunately blanked out. He then suggested I just go ahead and implement my algorithm.
    The last 5 or so minutes of the 45 minute interview were devoted to me asking questions. I asked a few, and the interview was over.
    I received a generic rejection email 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• Why are you Interested in Facebook?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite feature of Facebook? Then as follow ups, what would you change about this feature, and what could be a drawback of this change?   Answer Question
    • Given "data", "from", and "to" fields, replaces all occurrences of the characters in the "from" field in the "data" field, with their counterparts in the "to" field.
      Example:
      Input:
      Data: "Hello World"
      From: "lod"
      To: "xpf"
      Output:
      "Hexxp Wprxf"

1 Answer
    • Create an iterator class for a tree. The iterator should traverse the tree using in order traversal. Implement the constructor and next functions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was very cool and he asked me about myself and my projects. He also asked why I want to choose facebook and then we started coding round, which took nearly 45 minutes.He mainly focused on performance tuning of algorithms.i.e How fast we can make spontaneous decisions for an algorithm to run fast.Overall, it was very good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Pretty bad. The recruiter was unusually daft: sent me a form to fill out, then asked me the same questions (all of them) on the phone; asked what I was interested in working on, then sent me into the the pipeline I explicitly said I didn't want.

The young man who interviewed me didn't listen very well and had a very narrow view of what makes a good engineer: namely, a good engineer was someone a lot like him.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't at all difficult, if you're good at coding in interviews. ("Determine whether a string has unbalanced parentheses.")   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Interview

Interview

The first interview was at my University. It was your typical 45 minute face-to-face whiteboard coding style interview. During the first five minutes, my interviewer introduced himself and asked me questions about myself. Be prepared to talk about yourself and your resume. The next 35 minutes were spent entirely on 1 question. After arriving at a naive solution, I fined-tuned and optimized my code. The last 5 minutes were reserved for any questions I had.

I passed the first interview, and went on to the second interview. The flew me down to HQ. This interview went horribly. The question was more difficult than the first interview, and my interviewer's accent made him difficult to understand. After the interview, I toured Facebook's campus and had lunch, etc.

Interview Questions

• First interview question: dutch flag problem. Given three color objects arranged randomly in an array, arrange them such that each object is together and their collective color groups are in the correct order.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

Interview Questions

• 4 rounds onsite interviews. Not very difficult, need bug free. 45 mins each round, 5 mins break between them. People there are smart and nice. some resume questions, 1 to 2 coding problems each round   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

Interview

Met Facebook engineers who referred me to the recruiter. The recruiter contacted me three weeks after I met the engineers. Set up round 1 phone screen within the next 2 weeks of our first email exchange. Facebook does move pretty fast with the recruiting process. The recruiter contacted me again about 2 days after round 1 interview to set up round 2. Round 2 was about 3 weeks after round 1.

Interview Questions

• Matching two strings, one is text, the other one is chars and dots and asterisks, each of which represents something. Similar to ones on CareerCup.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Facebook (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

the hiring process was extremely efficient. they move as fast as you need.
    i got responses from the recruiter in minutes and two hours after the interview i got the results.
    the office looks nice and the people there also.
    it looked too young to my taste. didn't see there anyone older (over 45) with experience but this was only a quick look.
    i got a problem that i can solve in 20 min with my laptop, but wen you need to code it on a whiteboard it's a different skill i don't have.
    even though your concept is right - they look for potential bugs on your code so make sure you write carefully (i don't).

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Interview

I got the opportunity through internal referral.

I passed an technical phone screening and was invited to an on-site. I had 5 interviews in total. Two coding, two system design, one with manager (on PhD research + a quick coding exercise).

The technical questions were not too difficult, but I was unprepared for the system design problems. One of the interviewers kept walking around in the room and was really distracting and annoying. I couldn't focus on solving the problem and didn't do well in that session.

The interviewing schedule was not the best. I was scheduled to have lunch at 2pm PST, but considering I'm from a couple time zones east of PST, I was already way too hungry to have lunch at that time. Perhaps a low blood sugar level also contributed to my impaired thinking abilities.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA. Distributed system design problems were out of my expectation as I do not claim any experience in that area nor was I interviewing with any positions related to that area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook in December 2014.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter a couple weeks after they came to our school for a college tour. Had an interview with one of the software engineers and he asked behavioral questions and then a technical question.