Facebook

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.3

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I had on campus interview. It was fairly straightforward (data structures and Algorithms ) question. But they give you 30 mins to solve the question and are looking for a really efficient solution. I recommend trying to crack down the most effective solution you can.

Interview Questions
  • find largest element in non transitive sequence of elements.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I'm talking about the on-site interview. The process began with a checkin and confirmation. Then there was a 40 minutes technical interview. It was not that hard but I didn't make it. After that, we enjoyed the lunch with the recruiter at the dining hall and it ends with an amazing tour in the FB campus.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of numbers, find the consecutive sequence of numbers whose sums equal to a target number.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

Interviewer called from California, talk on the phone and write on colabedit.com. The most important thing for facebook is you never made bugs on simple questions. Also, you need to communicate more with the interviewer to clarify some uncertainty.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Given a string, write a function to decide whether it is a palindrome.
      2. Anagram. Given a list of string, group those that are anagrams.

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I'd applied through facebook website university recruiting. I got an email from their recruiter within 2 days and I set up the telephone interview in two weeks. The interview was supposed to be a technical interview in collabedit. The interview started of with basic behavioral questions. What is the most exciting thing you have done till now? My speaking skills are very sub par, so I fumbled a lot while answering behavioral questions. Then I was asked to suggest an Algorithm to print the nodes of a binary tree in their vertical order.That is the a
                                                      b c
                                                      d e
                                                      f g
    Then output is
    b f a d c g e

I solved the question without much of the interviewer's help in under 5 minutes. Then I was asked to code this in collabedit, which I almost did, except for some small issues in has map.
    Then the interview ended. I was pretty confident of getting selected for this round. But I was told via email by my recruiter that they coudl not move forward with my application.(heartbreak)

Till today, I refresh in my inbox hoplessly waiting for an email that there was some error :'(

Interview Questions
    • Print the nodes of a binary tree columnwise . For example
      Input :
      b f a d c g e

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

I had two coding phone interviews but did not move forward to the team matching interview.
    For each round, a engineer first introduced himself ask a little bit about your experience. Then they go to coding questions directly. I perform good at first round but not that good at second round.

Interview Questions
    • The coding questions are not that hard for both two rounds.
      In the first round, the two questions are (1) return the sum of the k-largest digits ([0-9]) in the array (2) implement a LRU cache (least recently used)
      In the second round, the two questions are (1) return the index of the largest element, if more than one element reaches max, pick one unifromly at random; (2) clone a graph. the graph is directed, unweighted and not necessarily fully connected.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

First the interviewer introduced himself and ask me questions like why facebook and what do i think are the shortages of facebook. Then we start coding, the same questions in leetcode. After that he said he forgot to ask me about my project experience and I talk about one of my project with him. Last part is the question part.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Facebook in February 2015.

On campus recruiting, followed by an onsite. The interview questions were generally pretty easy, and the interviewers generally were good with hints on how to optimize code. The process was extremely straightforward. Make sure you put code down on the whiteboard that is clean and readable.

Interview Questions
    • Print a linked list in reverse recursively and non-destructively.   Answer Question
    • Standard dynamic problems.   Answer Question
    • Given a set of strings, return the smallest subset that contains prefixes for every string.

If the list is ['foo', 'foog', 'food', 'asdf'] return ['foo', 'asdf']

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Facebook.

I was contacted by email by two recrutiers, they were very nice and atentive giving material to help with my doubts. It would be 2 or 3 rounds of phone interviews before the result, but I was out in the first. My interviwer was pretty cool, nice and really sincere.

Interview Questions
    • If you would change something in facebook, what would it be?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

I applied through an internal referral. The process took about one week. A recruiter contacted me via email. At the interview, an engineer called me via phone. He was in bad mood. He asked me Why Facebook and was not satisfied with my answer at all. He interrupted me a lot during the whole interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Reached out to by recruiter, had phone chat with her. She set up two technical phone screens, followed by 4 technical onsite interviews. Had a chance to talk to some really experienced engineers and everyone was really friendly during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions
      - Print all paths in a binary tree
      - Function to find the square root of a number
      - Pretty print JSON object
      - How would you design home feed?
      - Simple regex matcher

View Answers (2)